Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Crowetron posted:

Who is the artist on the new Ghost Rider because holy gently caress

If you like that, go find the Luther Strode books from Image. Tradd Moore has actually toned his poo poo down for the superhero books he's working on.

The Luther Strode books would also theoretically qualify for this thread but only in the "excessive violence" category, which is pretty much the whole point of the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Does anyone remember a comic about an aging supersoldier trying to wipe out all his old enemies before he dies?
I cannot for the life of me recall what that comic was, but I know I saw it in one of the badass panel threads.
In the posted panels he keeps slaughtering the Grim Reapers sent so bring him in if that helps.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

WaywardWoodwose posted:

Does anyone remember a comic about an aging supersoldier trying to wipe out all his old enemies before he dies?
I cannot for the life of me recall what that comic was, but I know I saw it in one of the badass panel threads.
In the posted panels he keeps slaughtering the Grim Reapers sent so bring him in if that helps.

Im pretty sure that was called Destroyer or something like that.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Destroyer MAX miniseries from 2009 with Robert Kirkman writing, Cory Walker on art and Val Staples on colouring.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Very loosely based on the golden age character of the same name.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Thanks! I've been meaning to read this for a while, but googling "aging supersoldier fights villains before death" is pretty unhelpful.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

WaywardWoodwose posted:

Thanks! I've been meaning to read this for a while, but googling "aging supersoldier fights villains before death" is pretty unhelpful.

Technically, they aren't villains. They're actual Grim Reapers.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
QUESTION: Are you more badass than a 16 year old schoolgirl in a maid outfit?

ANSWER: NO. NO YOU ARE NOT.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
All right, I'll bite. What, besides a stern expression, makes said maid badass?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
She does MMA.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

7c Nickel posted:

Even a regular cosplaying high school girl in a maid outfit is more badass than me, so this comes as no surprise.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

TwoPair posted:

All right, I'll bite. What, besides a stern expression, makes said maid badass?

It's mostly a matter of body language. 99% of female characters in comics and manga, even when they're wearing sensible clothes, are posed to titillate instead of properly conveying their character. The right stance and attitude can even make a frilly maid costume badass.

And yeah, Teppu is pretty badass in general.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

7c Nickel posted:

This guy is more badass:

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Context: A group of girl-scouts (the lumberjanes) go into a river to get their boating medals. Then a monster appears.

From Lumberjanes #2

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
What the junk?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Another childhood favourite of mine:

Sonic the Comic #44

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Astonishing X-Men vol.3 #3.
School was never this fun.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Say Nothing posted:

Invincible, I wanna say one of the early issues.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
You can tell it's one of the early issues because nobody's exploding into gratuitous amounts of blood and gore for no reason.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

7c Nickel posted:

It's mostly a matter of body language. 99% of female characters in comics and manga, even when they're wearing sensible clothes, are posed to titillate instead of properly conveying their character. The right stance and attitude can even make a frilly maid costume badass.

And yeah, Teppu is pretty badass in general.

Decided to give it a read and I too wish to confirm that is badass when the characters walk/stand/exist.

That and it's got a pretty varied cast of characters in it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Say Nothing posted:

My favorite part is that the green kid looks incredibly stoned. (I'm sure he's a good kid who would never do drugs and it's just his mutation that makes his eyes look like that.)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whedon's Astonishing run is full of bad rear end panels.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

zoux posted:

I know it's been posted before but seeing we're talking about badass panels and Whedon's Astonishing run:

Scott looks so weird without his visor/glasses/glowing eyes.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
What happened to Scott's control of his optic blasts? It's in that arc of Astonishing that Emma tells him that he subconsciously let go of his control and it never was about a head injury he sustained, but after that he eventually goes back to the visor.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

What happened to Scott's control of his optic blasts? It's in that arc of Astonishing that Emma tells him that he subconsciously let go of his control and it never was about a head injury he sustained, but after that he eventually goes back to the visor.

Scott talks about how it's really exhausting to keep the blasts under control, so he wears the visor most of the time to let himself relax or stay focused. Then post AvX he can't even shoot them in a straight line.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Astonishing is also loosely connected to the mainline continuity.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

Astonishing is also loosely connected to the mainline continuity.

That storyline is really connected. It had serious effects on continuity.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

How often does 'losing your powers' actually turn out to be a mental block?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Tensokuu posted:

Scott looks so weird without his visor/glasses/glowing eyes.
He looks exactly like one John Cassaday. And a certain Drummer. Who looks exactly like John Cassaday.

dandaman
Dec 30, 2005

zoux posted:

You can't post this without the follow up... one of my favorite X-men panels ever (Cyclops fanboy ).

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Astonishing is probably why I like Cyclops so much.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

redbackground posted:

He looks exactly like one John Cassaday. And a certain Drummer. Who looks exactly like John Cassaday.

It is weird to see a comic writer and/or artist who is a handsome man.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Maltose posted:

Scott talks about how it's really exhausting to keep the blasts under control, so he wears the visor most of the time to let himself relax or stay focused. Then post AvX he can't even shoot them in a straight line.

How do you manage to NOT fire in a straight line when the beams come out of your eyes?

shelper
Nov 10, 2005

Something's still wrong with this code
Perhaps he became cross-eyed.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Aren't there like shitload of X-Men who do shoot people on a regular basis, though? The 90's alone must be responsible for at least a dozen.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

How do you manage to NOT fire in a straight line when the beams come out of your eyes?

Saccades?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Attention deficit disorder?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

dandaman posted:

You can't post this without the follow up... one of my favorite X-men panels ever (Cyclops fanboy ).

Behold, Optic Blast!

Sadly, I couldn't find a decent image of the intervening page; showing the X-Men looking up at the massive spire Cyclops is being held in, and the entire city being bathed in red as a huge blast heads off into the sky.

The moment does require a lot of set-up as to why it's so badass, though.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Since he came down from being hopped up on Pheonix Force his beams don't come out a consistent direction any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
That run actually made me start caring about Scott loving Summers for a little bit.

Just look at the panel with the optic blast. That guy's poo poo is ruined.