Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

See you guys at Shy Guy Falls :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Wait what's that in the OP about registering MK8 with Club Nintendo to get a free game?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

irlZaphod posted:

Wait what's that in the OP about registering MK8 with Club Nintendo to get a free game?

New copies of the game come with a download code that, once registered to club nintendo, will then allow you to pick one of several games (depending on region - Europe gets to choose from like, ten) to get a free digital copy of.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

irlZaphod posted:

Here are the US/Canada details and here are the European details

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Oh nice, that's pretty cool. Of course we get a (slightly) better selection in Europe. :smuggo:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

irlZaphod posted:

Oh nice, that's pretty cool. Of course we get a (slightly) better selection in Europe. :smuggo:

I maintain a personal theory that Shibata tries to get what he can to try and improve Nintendo's foothold in Europe, hence the last year seeing several titles release in Europe first despite presumably needing more languages to be done first, plus a bunch of fairly decent deals that have come along.

In other news, looks like MK8 straddles the line between 59/60 FPS.

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/05/mario-kart-8-runs-at-720p-native-resolution/

The 720p native resolution I can understand - the console isn't exactly unfamiliar with upscaling, and having seen it in action, looks great anyway - but I'm curious as to the framerate.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Whoa poo poo this comes out in a few days? That snuck up on me.

I added my name to the goonlist, looking forward to some racing :3:

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Game.co.uk's been sending out their game codes early! :toot:

But it looks like Nintendo's learned, as I'm only getting an error message that the product I'm trying to activate isn't currently being distributed.

A pity, since I got in on Pikmin3, Pokemon and Lost World by simply punching in Game's code a day or two early.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Oh gosh Shy Guy Falls is great, the music is good enough as is but in the last bit of it there are shy guys hard at work- and when you drive by them they're singing the course theme.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Oh gosh Shy Guy Falls is great, the music is good enough as is but in the last bit of it there are shy guys hard at work- and when you drive by them they're singing the course theme.

Shy Guy Falls is the new track I'm looking forward to the most. The music just makes me so ready for adventure! :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8y1Ws8Z-5o

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Am I a big baby that is worried about getting the digital copy and being worried about not being able to re-download it at some point in the future over just getting the disk based game?

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.

KKKLIP ART posted:

Am I a big baby that is worried about getting the digital copy and being worried about not being able to re-download it at some point in the future over just getting the disk based game?

I wouldn't think so. All the other consoles and Steam have typical download policies that span over multiple machines in some way or another. Whereas Nintendo, on the other hand, has a digital download system so illogically limiting that it actually does put people off from buying digitally.

Totally would've bought MK8 from e-shop if it weren't for this critical flaw in the system that keeps it from working like XBL/PSN/Steam. And I'm sure my disc drive will suffer for it.

Basically Nintendo has an infamously garbage download policy regarding digital content and no one would be wrong worrying about it.

Mediocrity Goggles fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 27, 2014

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

KKKLIP ART posted:

Not being able to re-download it on your current console? A bit unfounded. I've deleted/downloaded stuff off the wii / wiiu stores before.
Not being able to re-download it on a different console in the future? Possibly right to worry.

Nintendo does have some stuff in place to help with system transfers for other devices. But nothing really going on ATM that I am aware of for the Wii U.

Does anyone know how big MK8 is, download wise?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

http://www.ign.com have a live stream MP game going on for the next 35 minutes or so, answering Qs etc. I had to select US Edition on the front page and it appeared at the top of the page then.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Rawrbomb posted:

Not being able to re-download it on your current console? A bit unfounded. I've deleted/downloaded stuff off the wii / wiiu stores before.
Not being able to re-download it on a different console in the future? Possibly right to worry.

Nintendo does have some stuff in place to help with system transfers for other devices. But nothing really going on ATM that I am aware of for the Wii U.

Does anyone know how big MK8 is, download wise?

According to nintendo / the eShop, it's supposed to come in around 4.9-5GB.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

EL BROMANCE posted:

http://www.ign.com have a live stream MP game going on for the next 35 minutes or so, answering Qs etc. I had to select US Edition on the front page and it appeared at the top of the page then.

This game looks absolutely amazing. I mean - if I wasn't pumped before, I'm definitely pumped now. The visual style is just absolutely brilliant, and the fact that it runs so smoothly is eye-candy at its best.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

drat, Euro has it way better. Why can't US/Canada have Wonderful 101 as part of the offer? Guess Pikmin 3 for free will still be nice.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
What's the significance of gold coins? Is it like SNES where you spin out when you get bumped while holding 0 coins?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

The Crusher posted:

What's the significance of gold coins? Is it like SNES where you spin out when you get bumped while holding 0 coins?

They make you room room faster.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
The maximum speed of your kart is a function of held gold coins which increases linearly with respect to coin count.

Also, the more coins you collect the faster you unlock new kart parts (at least that's how it worked in past games)

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Spectacle Rock posted:

The maximum speed of your kart is a function of held gold coins which increases linearly with respect to coin count.

Also, the more coins you collect the faster you unlock new kart parts (at least that's how it worked in past games)

While it raises your maximum speed, they cap out at 10. You can still collect them for the tiny boost they give when you pick them up if you don't have to go out of your way too much to do so. You lose them when you get hit by something or fall off the track so be careful!

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

So they're bananas from Diddy Kong Racing. Got it. It's about time Mario Kart sto- cri- ~paid homage~ to that game, it had a lot of good ideas.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Doctor Reynolds posted:

So they're bananas from Diddy Kong Racing. Got it. It's about time Mario Kart sto- cri- ~paid homage~ to that game, it had a lot of good ideas.

The whole coins = slightly higher top speed actually originated with the SNES game though.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

deadwing posted:

The whole coins = slightly higher top speed actually originated with the SNES game though.

Oh. Well. Diddy Kong Racing had better musicokay bye

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh poo poo forgot this came out this week too. Added my name to the list, can't wait to play this poo poo.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Adam Bowen posted:

When you see Sonic on the cover of a game your expectations are so low that anything short of him and his furry pals coming out of the TV and making GBS threads in your mouth is considered a pretty average experience. So when Sonic is in a game that's a pretty drat fun (even if very forgettable) Mario Kart clone, it's hard not to feel excited by it.

Not only is it nowhere near a clone (Mario didn't invent kart racing either), I wouldn't call it "very forgettable" considering it had content support on the PC out a full year and still has instant queus for online play. It's a shame the Wii U version was so broken, even after multiple patches, because the Wii U could have really used it.

DrPaper fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 28, 2014

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Here's a video of 2 Mario Kart youtubers talking about the online features in MK8:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX_NBCozTac
Lots of good info shared here, they compare most of it to MK7/Wii too. They made videos discussing characters, vehicles, & tracks if you're interested.
Are we still having a goon tournament? It doesn't come out until the 31st here, which is basically the afternoon of the next day for americans

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I said a few pages ago that we should probably hold off the inaugural MK8 Goon Cup until the 31st at about 9PM GMT (4PM EST). That way, it's at a time when everyone that signed the contract can be awake reasonably.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Shouldn't we wait a week or so to allow people to unlock things?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Wait, you have to unlock things? OK then, an exhibition tournament will happen this Saturday (Sunday for Aussies and Kiwis), with the actual competition to start the next week.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Don't you always have to unlock things? Typically you need to win every circuit on every level with a star or better to unlock the whole game.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Who's offering the best incentive to buy MK8? Target has a free Wii wheel (no thanks), Toys R Us is offering 40% off another Wii U game with purchase (and there's nothing else I want), is anyone else in the US offering a discount or free crap for buying MK8?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
So all I need to do to be in the tournament is add my name to the list in the first post, right?

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

gay skull posted:

Who's offering the best incentive to buy MK8? Target has a free Wii wheel (no thanks), Toys R Us is offering 40% off another Wii U game with purchase (and there's nothing else I want), is anyone else in the US offering a discount or free crap for buying MK8?
Best Buy gives a $10 gas card if you pre-order.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

gay skull posted:

Local Target had a $5 giftcard and rubber Mario Kart keychain with pre-orders :toot:

Personally I went the Best Buy route, cause $10 of gas is $10 I was gonna spend anyway.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

CaptainYesterday posted:

Wait, you have to unlock things? OK then, an exhibition tournament will happen this Saturday (Sunday for Aussies and Kiwis), with the actual competition to start the next week.

All 7 Koopalings, Metal Mario/Peach, Toadette, Mii's are all locked, as well as all the kart parts (You start with 3 bodies for normal karts, 2 bikes or something like that)

Also everything unlocks randomly, so someone can finish 150cc Star cup and get Toadette, while someone else would get Lemmy or something.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also everything unlocks randomly, so someone can finish 150cc Star cup and get Toadette, while someone else would get Lemmy or something.

Why on earth would they do that?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ultigonio posted:

Why on earth would they do that?
Some element of surprise if they hadn't already shown everything, and I guess it's still there in the sense of not knowing the exact thing you're getting each time along with all the random vehicles/parts. Kinda like getting capsule toys, or the random stuff in Nintendo Land for that matter.

Annoying if you really want something in particular, but if you don't really care it's neat seeing all the random stuff online.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I'm not really sure what specific unlocks would do, really. Would you just do whatever's necessary to unlock a specific character then never touch single player again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

horriblePencilist posted:

I'm not really sure what specific unlocks would do, really. Would you just do whatever's necessary to unlock a specific character then never touch single player again?

To be fair, that's exactly what I did in Mario Kart DS ... :eng99:

• Locked thread