Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Pvt.Scott posted:

Doesn't NASA still use some pretty old and bulky computers on spacecraft for critical systems because they're easier to fix and more reliable/durable, or am I just misremembering something?

I like to think that space freighter cockpits would look similar to the ones in the Nostromo (from Alien) but with better display screens. Not that space freighters make much sense for anything other than orbital construction.

this doesn't really answer your question, but the ISEE-3 reboot kickstarter illustrates the value of old tech.

Longish story short: ISEE-3 (International Sun-Earth Explorer) was a satellite launced in 1978, escaped earth orbit and took measurements of the earth's magnetosphere and solar winds. Its mission complete, it was ordered to change orbit to get several orbit assists by the moon, so that its course would pass through the tail of a comet. After that mission was complete, it was ordered to shut down in 1997.

Years later they discovered that it had not, in fact, shut down. Moreover, all but 1 of its instruments are still operational. The crowdfunding is to get money to do a software-rebuild of the technology used to communicate with the satellite, rent the hardware required to send a signal, and order the satellite to do a specific burn which will again use the Moon's gravity to kick it in another intercept orbit through a comet tail and transmit the data back to us. The data would be made publically available upon success.

Point is: nasa scrapped the hardware because it was no longer used and it turns out that we can still recycle a scrapped satellite. So now we need to recreate the systems. Oh, and just for drama: the satellite needs to receive the signal soon, because the maneuver must be completed by mid-june.

double nine fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Pvt.Scott posted:

Doesn't NASA still use some pretty old and bulky computers on spacecraft for critical systems because they're easier to fix and more reliable/durable, or am I just misremembering something?

"It works" is part of the answer as for militaries and space agencies use a lot of old stuff, another part being that they are certified for flight or outer space use and developing new hardware and certifying it is more expensive than to keep the old stuff running. Even the space shuttle's computers had double backups despite all the certification.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Pvt.Scott posted:

I like to think that space freighter cockpits would look similar to the ones in the Nostromo (from Alien) but with better display screens. Not that space freighters make much sense for anything other than orbital construction.

From what I understand it's most specifically because the old bulky computer chips are more resistant to cosmic radiation. The smaller designs are all well and good, but cosmic rays can sometimes hit transistors and cause the switches to flip or even burn out, possibly causing a random crash. This can happen to any computer on Earth, but up in space they don't even have the atmosphere to protect the electronics. There's a certain amount of shielding you can put in place, but the bulky old transistors are tougher to adjust through random radiation.

They are working on new, more resistant materials, however.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
I thought they were still running 286s in the space shuttles because they were welded in.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
No, they used five of the F-15's flight computers. Magnetic core memory, 480 000 instructions per second, so all five of them were less powerful than the 286 which isn't so surprising since there's over a decade separating the two.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Bluhman posted:

In the process, I also discovered the insufferable argument that (cultivated) bananas disprove atheism. :what:

Cultivated bananas are an example of how distance from the machinations of real progress can be conflated easily with magic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfucpGCm5hY

Which is why there's so much modern scifi where all the techie stuff gets muddled with shamanism, especially in post-apocalyptic scenarios.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

From what I understand it's most specifically because the old bulky computer chips are more resistant to cosmic radiation. The smaller designs are all well and good, but cosmic rays can sometimes hit transistors and cause the switches to flip or even burn out, possibly causing a random crash. This can happen to any computer on Earth, but up in space they don't even have the atmosphere to protect the electronics. There's a certain amount of shielding you can put in place, but the bulky old transistors are tougher to adjust through random radiation.

They are working on new, more resistant materials, however.

Yep. Keep in mind that the 286 processor had 134,000 transistors, with a gate size of over a micron. Today's chips pack hundreds of times that in the same (or smaller) space with a gate length of a few hundredths of a micron. One of the reasons they've focused more on parallel computing (multiple die CPUs) over just "more and faster and smaller" is that we've started to run into the physical limits of the material: electron creep and thermal issues can wreak havoc. Toss in high energy random radiation and you've got a system that maybe you don't want running your life support systems or calculating your autopilot.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

srb posted:

Magnetic core memory...

This is the important component when people are talking about radiation resistance. A magnetic core memory consists of a grid of ferrite rings that are magnetized in different directions, depending on the value of that bit. This is on scale of around 1mm or so, and it should be fairly obvious that it's almost impossible for a stray cosmic ray to flip the bit of something so large.

Modern electronics are sometimes made radiation hardened for use in space (or anywhere else that might need it), and I believe that rad-hard computers were used by astronauts on the Space Shuttle when they were doing other work. There just wasn't much need to make changes to the flight computers; even if they were old technology, they worked just as well as when the design was new.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
No, they actually did change out to semiconductor memory, but only in the 1990's when the stuff had been on the market for 20 years.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Major_JF posted:

I thought they were still running 286s in the space shuttles because they were welded in.

Not so much this but NASA works with old computers because those are the computers that they're working with when they start designing/testing the project. Projects can take 15-20 years to go from original design to launch, but because they design all the software around the computer tech they have available when they start the project, that's what winds up getting shot into space.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
When he did his report on the Challenger disaster, the safety of the computers was pretty much the only thing Richard Feynman had a good word for. It's hopelessly primitive by today's standards, but was tested to all hell and worked.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I felt sorry for that boat person after you took his tiny little stash. What'll that even buy, another round of drinks at the Lucky Money?

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!

Glazius posted:

I felt sorry for that boat person after you took his tiny little stash. What'll that even buy, another round of drinks at the Lucky Money?

Eh, dude's a drug dealer/smuggler. I'm sure he'll make it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Plus, what's a poor protagonist to do? The credit chit was just lying there, taunting him. He wasn't gonna just leave it there.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Police baffled by master thief who can seemingly open any door. His only calling card a hastily discarded knife.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Mr Phillby posted:

Police baffled by master thief who can seemingly open any door. His only calling card a hastily discarded knife totem pole of first-aid kits.

I like this theory better, even if it hasn't directly happened yet.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

The Youtube still image for every video since I reached Hong Kong has been JC talking to someone who doesn't particularly like him. I feel like this says something about this leg of the journey.

Handouts:

Ms. Chow's Benevolence
Police Report: Maggie Chow
Police Report: Officer Tam
The True Way
Tai-Fun
Insurgent
Password Change
Interrogation Transcript
Maggie Email: Triad Control
Maggie Email: Alert
Maggie Email: Report
Jock Email: Fallback
Jock Email: Surveillance
Jock Email: Paul Needs You

Known misses: No known unknowns.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Chow's building always manages to confuse the hell out of me. There are so many ways to get in, with the back entrance that leads into the elevator shaft, the 2nd and 3rd floor areas, I can't get a mental image of the architecture.

edit: and either I never noticed or I forgot that Maggie's voice actor is the same one as Anna's voice actor.

edit2: wasn't there also a credit chit somewhere in the fridge?

double nine fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 26, 2014

Marker17501
Jul 8, 2013
So the MJ12 people don't like people snooping around their floor but they don't mind a homeless drug addict around there?

Also, I seem to remember Maggie Chow saying that Paul was her husband if Paul dies in New York, but maybe it's just my imagination.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
I find it hilarious that my first run of Deus Ex, I stealthed Maggie Chow's place totally by accident because I was looking around and thought "What the hell, an examinable paper lantern?"

They do a bunch of cool things to facilitate variety in gameplay, whether on purpose or by accident.

Edit: Also I should mention that while I don't discuss much in the thread since I know literally nothing about the topics, I really appreciate the LP. I first played this game like 2 years ago and even then I got the feeling I didn't get the full picture in any regard. Seeing someone show off the game in its entirety is fun to watch, and all the supplementary discussion afterwards is fun for expanding my general knowledge of nonsensical stuff. Keep up the good work, because its drat good work.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 26, 2014

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I remember as a child, I wanted to meet Shigeru Miyamoto, but the realization that he didn't speak any of my languages made that a bit dismaying.

I do still have some personal heroes I'd like to meet, but uh... In this day and age it is so easily possible to meet them, it is kinda weird for me. Even famous actors post on places like reddit, twitter and the like so the whole "mystery of the unmeetable figure" is kinda gone and I think I can go the rest of my life never meeting anyone in particular that don't interest me on a more personal level.

I thought maybe that was just growing up, but maybe it's a bit because of technology killing the illusion. An illusion that has driven fans to border of insanity, so maybe for the best.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I remember as a teenager the only person I thought I'd really like to meet - even though, to be honest I would have probably despised him becasue 1) He was a raging misogynist and 2) He was a raging theocrat - was Malcolm X/El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz. I just remember he expressed anger eloquently, fervently and plainly in a way I couldn't have thought possible; and I found that impressive.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

double nine posted:

edit2: wasn't there also a credit chit somewhere in the fridge?

If you mean Jock's fridge, I think you must have seen a candy bar, because I only found food items in there.

Marker17501 posted:

Also, I seem to remember Maggie Chow saying that Paul was her husband if Paul dies in New York, but maybe it's just my imagination.

Maggie Chow being Paul's wife seems to be an idea exclusive to that earlier build of Deus Ex. I just killed Paul off and made it to Hong Kong, and while she takes the news of Paul's death hard (or at least appears to--she is an actor), she never gets more explicit about their relationship than to say she knew him "intimately," which she also says in the video.

In related news, she makes a much more convincing case that she's telling the truth if you go straight to her penthouse without exploring. She even claims to know where Tracer Tong is hiding.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
loving yes the Dragon's Tooth Sword :allears: it's just so goddamn beautiful, this is undoubtedly my favourite weapon in all of videogamedom, next to the Air Taser from Syphon Filter.

Holy gently caress it's deadly, that base damage is insane. Also wow I never thought of escaping the window like that to get to the other apartment, I always just sneaked around in the dark foolishly on the bad lighting spots and giant billboards. Pretty sure that nest was Golgo 13's though, I bet he could have made the shot :v:

As for celebrity, I will admit I was one of those fiercely huge Michael Jackson fans who refused to believe to the very end about the rumours and court cases, trying to dig up all the stuff I could about possible fabrications, allegations and whatnot. At least in terms of celebrity idolisation.

Mordaedil posted:

I remember as a child, I wanted to meet Shigeru Miyamoto, but the realization that he didn't speak any of my languages made that a bit dismaying.

I do still have some personal heroes I'd like to meet, but uh... In this day and age it is so easily possible to meet them, it is kinda weird for me. Even famous actors post on places like reddit, twitter and the like so the whole "mystery of the unmeetable figure" is kinda gone and I think I can go the rest of my life never meeting anyone in particular that don't interest me on a more personal level.

I thought maybe that was just growing up, but maybe it's a bit because of technology killing the illusion. An illusion that has driven fans to border of insanity, so maybe for the best.
Twitter has done something insanely weird to the very structure of celebrity, causing people to become so familiarised with them to be down at their level, while at the same time staying elevated upon their podiums of greatness. I've tweeted a bunch of videogame composers, people I love and idolise greatly for their work as one of my biggest passions, and it's so bizarre to just reach out so easily and say "hi I love your work" without any hassle.

It's kind of...bizarre.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Wow, I didn't remember that Maggie Chow was that bad with the R-L thing. I only remembered non-named characters and Tong doing that once, but I must be misremembering.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Bobbin, have you read the IT-HE documentation? (for the uninitiated, it is "how do I break this game" on steroids)

The entry for Hong Kong is great. They go through the entire game like this.

quote:

[on wallclimbing/grenade climbing]Take care when you approach the top of the skyscraper. Some of them are very narrow, and it is quite possible to trip over the skyscraper and fall back down the other side.
Some of the skyscrapers have a hideous blue side, and sometimes also the top. When I first climbed one of these the wall and roof looked exactly the same and I didn't understand what I was seeing (JC then fell on a passing monk, destroying both).
The other issue is that, like a cat in a tree, you can climb up, but not back down, unless you can use your Legs to fall onto a slightly lower skyscraper.

Now. What you should do, once you've perfected the technique is start the Hong Kong sequence from scratch (if you haven't already done so) and begin climbing the walls near the Luminous Path compound. On summit of the round, ribbed building you will find.. Max Chen, sleeping rough on the rooftops (thanks again, Andy!).

If you walk up to him, he will stare at the sky saying "this is the headquarters of the Red Arrows!", and a somewhat bizarre conversation ensues. If you've already sorted out the Dragon's Tooth quest, he will not be there.

"Definitive proof that he's crazy." -- Andy Centanni
Up & Atom

So, we have a clone of Max Chen on top of a tower. What can we do with it? Easy.. bring it the Dragon's Tooth. The only acceptable way to do this is by breaking into Maggie Chow's apartment (the hard way) and stealing it.
Now. There is an immediate problem with this, in that Queen's Tower has a lip all around it to prevent just this kind of thing. But it can be bypassed.

On the right-hand side of the building (facing the doors) there is a kind of concrete overpass, the one you usually smack into if you fall out of Maggie's window. With a little bit of trickery (the sofa and office chair from the Queen's Tower security room) it is possible to build a little tower so you can get on top of it.

The LAM trick won't work here because you will need to throw things onto the overpass. The little road on the left-hand-side that leads back to the canal is useful.. there's a whole load of dustbins which you can steal to build a tower with.

This is my tower:

Maggie Chow and the Tower of Power

..and from hereon, you can do the LAM trick and climb up the walls.
Take care when climbing up the walls.. if you slip or remove the wrong bomb, you will fall down causing your body to explode when it hits the tower, and your head to fall into the dustbin (I kid you not).

Hiya!

Now you will start to approach the window. This is cool:

When you're there, gently smash the window using your knife, or some other non-projectile weapon. This won't trigger the alarms.
What is even more cool is if you then roll a bomb into the room. Maggie will turn, and noticing Denton's head peeping in the window, utter an exclamation.. usually a very fitting one considering that you've climbed up the side of her skyscraper like spiderman.

..however, this is not necessarily how you should approach the Sword mission. I just climbed in through the window and crept into the lab. I had about 20 minitools, so you might have to fight your way in.
I then crept back to the front door, where the Maid was patiently waiting for me to arrive. I could not contrive a means of sneaking past her, so I just spoke to her (before giving her a friendly pat on the back with my cattle prod). As she stood there quivering, I escaped.

Max Chen, I presume

With the sword now in my posession, I went back to Max Chen for some rooftop negotiations.

At this point, Max Chen's phone rang and he began talking to some of the employees back at his club. Fortunately he had it set to speakerphone so JC could also hear.

They must have followed me up the wall!

Go read the whole thing, especially the Sunglasses at Night subsection. The Fourth Coming subsection toys with Ms Chow by launching a rocket the second JC entered the map, lining her flat with explosives that the maid will trigger when leading JC to her boss, and placing LAMs next to Chow's chair/sofa which she will trigger when sitting down.

edit: gently caress it, have an unrelated screenshot of the shenanigans they get up to:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
It always bugged me how the blade of the Dragon's Tooth springs out from the hilt when you turn it on, and yet it takes up so much inventory space.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah me too, I chalk it up as a balancing decision.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's... in case it accidentally turns on in your coat? Wouldn't want to impale your shotgun from being jostled in the street.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
When you mentioned how much you liked Tonnochi Road because of all the neon it reminded me of one wall that was nothing but a solid, repeating texture of a billboard at the end of the street (that for some reason faced another wall 3 feet away...). It seems to have been edited out in the HD pack you are using but I remember finding it for the first time and being really weirded out by it for some reason.

One thing I think would have fit in well in the Conspiracy Corner is the advice "Never meet your hero." when explaining how people will replace bits and pieces of facts that they don't like about a person they look up to. In the end your hero is a person, and people are not perfect. And some people can't cope with that fact and do crazy things.

Dragonwagon posted:

It always bugged me how the blade of the Dragon's Tooth springs out from the hilt when you turn it on, and yet it takes up so much inventory space.
This bothered me, too. But mostly because it meant I had to ditch a few things from my already jammed inventory so I could run the sword all the way back to the Lucky Money just so I could drop it there then run all the way back to Maggie's apartment to get whatever I had left behind.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
It is possible to get into the MJ12 compound from inside Maggie Cow's apartment without the maid calling for the guards and the alarm not being triggered. The "prized Buddha" that sinks into the floor can also be destroyed, but instead of going that way, turn immediately right after exiting the elevator, go through the piano room and look up at the ceiling. Activate the green and orange paper lantern. You still have to somehow get through the laser grids, of course.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Ok, one of the things about this game I've noticed is how well it does mirror reflections. Previously I just thought that the game has extra space behind the mirror that has a dummy 'denton' figure behind it (i.e. it's an actual other room, but just separated by a near-invisible wall. At least this is how I've seen it done in every other game), but the small table mirror in Jock's apartment, not to mention the whole one-way mirror in the club, quickly disproves that method. Anyone actually know how it was handled?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Idolization of public figures is just one of the many forms of escapism that come natural to human beings when they are not investing that time on themselves. There are many reasons that they might turn away from their own lives in favor of an escape, be it that their lives are too difficult to face or that the escapism is just that enticing. It's equivalent to rooting for a sports team, being invested in a fictional setting (as you mentioned in a video), or in my case never not posting on Something Awful. There are, of course, more literal forms of escapism, like the usage of chemicals: alcohol and drugs--- literally escaping your life and altering your perceptions to ones more pleasurable than reality.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

J.theYellow posted:

It is possible to get into the MJ12 compound from inside Maggie Cow's apartment without the maid calling for the guards and the alarm not being triggered. The "prized Buddha" that sinks into the floor can also be destroyed, but instead of going that way, turn immediately right after exiting the elevator, go through the piano room and look up at the ceiling. Activate the green and orange paper lantern. You still have to somehow get through the laser grids, of course.

So did you miss the part where I did a walkthrough of Maggie's apartment explaining exactly how to get the sword with zero skill or augmentation uses and only a riot prod to keep the maid from interfering? If you can figure out Maggie's password you don't have to deal with a single laser grid or use a single multitool.

JT Jag posted:

Idolization of public figures is just one of the many forms of escapism that come natural to human beings when they are not investing that time on themselves. There are many reasons that they might turn away from their own lives in favor of an escape, be it that their lives are too difficult to face or that the escapism is just that enticing. It's equivalent to rooting for a sports team, being invested in a fictional setting (as you mentioned in a video), or in my case never not posting on Something Awful. There are, of course, more literal forms of escapism, like the usage of chemicals: alcohol and drugs--- literally escaping your life and altering your perceptions to ones more pleasurable than reality.

Let's not forget the eternal problem of boredom. The human brain is like a microwave oven that's turned on for 16 hours a day, and if there's nothing to absorb the mind waves, they'll bounce around the interior and damage the machinery. Real life doesn't provide enough stimulation to keep a brain occupied constantly (and if it does, then either something is going terribly wrong or you're worrying too much), and so we come up with and consume stories and songs, take drugs, play games, and do whatever else it takes to keep our minds occupied even as we work on something more mundane. Escapism can mean that your life is so lovely that you need to get away from it, but it more often means that your life isn't lovely enough and so you need something else to keep yourself entertained.

It's perfectly healthy to spend time on a hobby, whether you focus on learning a skill, collecting memorabilia, using recreational drugs, or arguing about fictional settings. Some of them may turn into a profession or an investment over time, but that's rarely the point. Even if your hobby is a giant money sink, so long as you're having fun, it's money well spent, and you certainly don't have to ruin your life in order to go to a convention dressed as a klingon. It's only if a hobby begins to eat into time better spent on important things or inspires you to harm others that you really run into trouble.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

but it more often means that your life isn't lovely enough and so you need something else to keep yourself entertained.

Pretty sure this is exactly the reason why such genres as horror are entertaining.

Marker17501
Jul 8, 2013

Maggie Chow being Paul's wife seems to be an idea exclusive to that earlier build of Deus Ex. I just killed Paul off and made it to Hong Kong, and while she takes the news of Paul's death hard (or at least appears to--she is an actor), she never gets more explicit about their relationship than to say she knew him "intimately," which she also says in the video.

Yeah, I think what I had in mind was this unused conversation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwHATlzUJ0A

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.

Bluhman posted:

Ok, one of the things about this game I've noticed is how well it does mirror reflections. Previously I just thought that the game has extra space behind the mirror that has a dummy 'denton' figure behind it (i.e. it's an actual other room, but just separated by a near-invisible wall. At least this is how I've seen it done in every other game), but the small table mirror in Jock's apartment, not to mention the whole one-way mirror in the club, quickly disproves that method. Anyone actually know how it was handled?

They likely do it just in the way your thinking but that Dummy room is only visible when your on the correct side of the mirror, And when the mirror glass is destroyed so too is the fake room. New games can create more "Real" mirror effects but I'm not sure if they actually do anything different either.

If you have played portal you may be aware that they copy paste the map into each portal and draw the whole thing behind it, Well what you can see anyway, And they can layer that up too 9 times, but those reflections are only visible through the portal. Computer games work with impossible space alot to make mirrors and portals.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Speedball posted:

Pretty sure this is exactly the reason why such genres as horror are entertaining.

Well, I'm sure it factors in why people seek it out, but another reason for this is that biologically there is no distinction between our various arousal states. The only difference is our mental assessment of why we feel an arousal. So horror movies, on top of providing stimulation, also provide physiological arousal feelings that at least some of us have adapted to seek out.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
On the mirrors and other reflective surfaces in Deus Ex:

It's been a very long time since I've looked at Unreal/Deus Ex era UnrealEd, but I remember that when you see the sky in those games, you're actually looking at basically flat planes on the inside of (usually) a box containing the level. A small room (the 'skybox') outside the playable area of the level contains a diorama of the 'sky' - clouds, horizon, etc - along with a point entity to define the position of the level in relation to this sky. The skybox stuff is then rendered onto the flat surfaces inside that aforementioned box (because those faces have been flagged to do so).

So this just is a wild guess since I don't remember doing anything with reflective surfaces, but they might work in a similar way. The surface is flagged as reflective and renders what's in front of it, sort of like with the skybox.

Anything more technical than that is too technical for me. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Thanks for showing the "proper" sequence dealing with Maggie. I was always baffled why she wanted me to see the data the police had on her. Every playthrough of mine I've visited the police first and discovered the secret rooms in her apartment on my first visit. I never knew she was just using it to get me out of the way so she can get out of Dodge. Now it makes sense!

• Locked thread