Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Tracula posted:

How worth it is this skip? You still need to ring to get to the Giant Lord and then the Throne of Want.

You can join the dragon covenant faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell
Holy hell, the large club trivializes most of the armored enemies... Oneshotting ironclads is where the fun was all this time!

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
How do people even find stuff like this?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Tracula posted:

How worth it is this skip? You still need to ring to get to the Giant Lord and then the Throne of Want.
Jumping to Jeigh's tree was done for a while now, but I don't know about the Throne.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A couple updates for Red:

Made the jacket the right shade of black, but I also kept alternate versions with the previous darkish-grayish color just in case people hypothetically using the mod like the lighter color better. I changed the connecting texture of the boots to be the lighter gold it is on her outfit in Transistor, as well as replacing the muddy pants texture with the sleeves of the undershirt. I also moved the transistor symbol down a little bit (it has since been moved slightly back up after I took this screenshot, as it kinda looked a bit squished).

I tried making the boots jet black and gold like hers are in the game, but it didn't work out so well, so I just changed the plate on the boots to gold colored instead. I think it looks nice this way anyway.

All in all I like what I've done with it but again I still need to mess with the bumpmaps, which will require lots of trial and error because I was right and there is no hash compilation yet, meaning I'll have to find it myself.

The Faraam set is the only other armor I know of in the game that has the poofy feather collar, so I think I might tackle it as well, as a heavy armor alternative to the light armor Wanderer set.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 27, 2014

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Forgall posted:

Jumping to Jeigh's tree was done for a while now, but I don't know about the Throne.

There are videos out there skipping the King's Gate. I'm not sure how they did it, I just know that they somehow floated over the throne room and fell into the pathway right past the door.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
So I started playing around with the Rat covenant. I've been having fun baiting traps and running people through my gauntlet, but I heard alluring skulls can manipulate the enemies? It doesn't seem to affect the movement of my rats when I try it, though.

Also, is there a way to be in the rat covenant and be summoned as a grey spirit? Leaving chumps behind as I exit via fogdoor is great fun and I would like to do that some more.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
They should have sent a poet...

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not enough rolling.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Raygereio posted:

How do people even find stuff like this?

I guess map collision viewer and loads of time spent jumping in weird places.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So I just beat the game for the first time and I have to say bravo to whoever decided to make the game so that you can beat the last boss and still not have to start NG+ without specifically selecting the option to do so at the bonfire.

And whoever said that the perfect Souls game would be DS1's world with DS2's gameplay mechanics, gear, and items was right on the money. DS2 does almost everything better except for the world design itself. That's no huge fault though, considering that DS1's world is probably the single most well designed game world in existence.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I love you, never stop.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Nekrews
Sep 14, 2007
Does anyone online now have a spare Catarina chest they can trade me? I ran out of ascetics. Can trade either the helm or gloves, or anything else you'd like. SM is 4.2 mill.

e: no longer online.

Nekrews fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 27, 2014

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

T.G. Xarbala posted:

On the matter of Lucatiel and Aslatiel, I'd like to think the theory is true, but the two character models have different hair.

Which is a shame, because I think the theory makes for a better story than what we got.
That's why I was talking about the ability to remake the physical form; the idea is that she did an uncontrolled version of what we did when we spoke to the old firekeepers and created an appearance and identity that we lacked up until then.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

These are beautiful. I can only hope DS2 spawns stupid memes as lovably awful as Giantdads.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Paracelsus posted:

That's why I was talking about the ability to remake the physical form; the idea is that she did an uncontrolled version of what we did when we spoke to the old firekeepers and created an appearance and identity that we lacked up until then.

Why would you think that's what effigies do instead of just unhollowing you like popping some humanity? Plus it's nice because it shows that in undeath Lucatiel finally outdid her brother. She moves on past Aldia's Keep (or leaves the way she came, but that's less interesting); her brother falls there against you.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

They updated again, creating a new branch of the game which is described as "Test Regulation".

So, it looks like we are getting new calibrations.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

I'm pretty sure you fight Aslatiel regardless of whether you've talked to Lucatiel outside or not. I actually didn't go in that shack before the manor proper, and had already defeated Aslatiel before talking to her. I suppose you can still site timey-wimey Drangleic but I'd guess it's supposed to be the hollow of her actual brother, just there to show you that nobody beats the curse and everyone is hosed forever.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

RBA Starblade posted:

Why would you think that's what effigies do instead of just unhollowing you like popping some humanity? Plus it's nice because it shows that in undeath Lucatiel finally outdid her brother. She moves on past Aldia's Keep (or leaves the way she came, but that's less interesting); her brother falls there against you.

The effigy's lore text says that the form that appears depends on the person looking. The curse is a loss of memory and identity, and the effigies seem to stave that off. Lucatiel gives you an effigy, saying that she doesn't know what it is, so she certainly isn't using them, and we can see that she's unraveling as the game progresses. By the time she's in front of the Keep she's clearly about to forget herself, so I think the idea that she then continued to progress is too optimistic. Everyone succumbs to the curse in the end.

I'm reading a lot into the mechanics of character creation and respeccing, but given the nature of the curse I think it's internally consistent and thematically appropriate.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

The effigy's lore text says that the form that appears depends on the person looking. The curse is a loss of memory and identity, and the effigies seem to stave that off. Lucatiel gives you an effigy, saying that she doesn't know what it is, so she certainly isn't using them, and we can see that she's unraveling as the game progresses. By the time she's in front of the Keep she's clearly about to forget herself, so I think the idea that she then continued to progress is too optimistic. Everyone succumbs to the curse in the end.

I'm reading a lot into the mechanics of character creation and respeccing, but given the nature of the curse I think it's internally consistent and thematically appropriate.

Actually, I heard it's a thing where, if you save her, her summon signs will still appear if you go back to old bosses. If you fail her quest, they disappear.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

GaylordButts posted:

I'm pretty sure you fight Aslatiel regardless of whether you've talked to Lucatiel outside or not. I actually didn't go in that shack before the manor proper, and had already defeated Aslatiel before talking to her. I suppose you can still site timey-wimey Drangleic but I'd guess it's supposed to be the hollow of her actual brother, just there to show you that nobody beats the curse and everyone is hosed forever.

I thought she disappeared if you didn't talk to her, but I guess I was mistaken. Oh well, fun theory.

Sorry for the double post, phone posting.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Goddamnit, it's so annoying to get invaded and then the guy always runs back past a group of enemies, just to split up me and the blue sentinel that's supposed to be guarding me. I don't recall it ever not happening since I rejoined the way of blue and then there's effectively no point in being in the covenant in the first place because it ends up being 1v1 anyway. :(

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cyberventurer posted:

Goddamnit, it's so annoying to get invaded and then the guy always runs back past a group of enemies, just to split up me and the blue sentinel that's supposed to be guarding me. I don't recall it ever not happening since I rejoined the way of blue and then there's effectively no point in being in the covenant in the first place because it ends up being 1v1 anyway. :(

Its annoying to invade someone and have them cower next to the bonfire with two phantoms waiting to impale you the second you pop your head around the corner.

Life isn't fair for anyone :colbert:

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I've never had two phantoms come to help me at once. It just seems like I'm never on the other end of the unfair match ups and it's just frustrating because I'm so godawful at PVP and it's like the game rubs it in my face every chance it gets.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Paracelsus posted:

The effigy's lore text says that the form that appears depends on the person looking.

Right, but if it turned you into whatever you wanted, then it doesn't really matter who is looking at it. The text is saying that the effigy appears to be the person looking at it. "A warm, soft, shadow-like effigy.
Use this item to reverse Hollowing. It also weakens the links to other worlds, preventing invasions and most cooperation.
Peer closely at an effigy, and one begins to perceive a human form, but whose form it takes depends on the person looking." You remember your name before you use the effigy. You're not hollow yet when you use it, because there's no coming back from that state.

quote:

By the time she's in front of the Keep she's clearly about to forget herself, so I think the idea that she then continued to progress is too optimistic. Everyone succumbs to the curse in the end.

She doesn't make it much further than her brother, but she does get further. Too bad the player is an rear end in a top hat and won't let anyone know what these dumb wood things are.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 27, 2014

Lalus
Jul 12, 2009
Does reporting people on steam ever do anything? I just spent another 10 mins beating on some Russian guy who did the insta-healing thing every time he should be dead. Probably the 5th today and the crazy bastards are playing on years old steam accounts with plenty of games attached to them. Are they stupid or does cheating online not carry some kind of ban?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Cyberventurer posted:

I've never had two phantoms come to help me at once. It just seems like I'm never on the other end of the unfair match ups and it's just frustrating because I'm so godawful at PVP and it's like the game rubs it in my face every chance it gets.

The host summons two phantoms is the usual scenario

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Lalus posted:

Does reporting people on steam ever do anything? I just spent another 10 mins beating on some Russian guy who did the insta-healing thing every time he should be dead. Probably the 5th today and the crazy bastards are playing on years old steam accounts with plenty of games attached to them. Are they stupid or does cheating online not carry some kind of ban?

Right now the game's servers aren't VAC protected so no.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Domattee posted:

The host summons two phantoms is the usual scenario

This happened to me once in the bastille, on the walkway outside Lucatiel's area. I waited a bit for them to line up, then fired off forbidden sun. I got a double kill, one of them the host. :getin:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 27, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Paracelsus posted:

She knows what the Effigies are and what they do, that's WHY she gives it to you. She chuckles after claiming she doesn't know what it does. She claims she doesn't know what it is because she is still, at that point, hiding that she herself is an undead.

At that stage in the conversation she has not yet taken off her mask and revealed the Dark Sign.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Lalus posted:

Theoretically, they'll get caught and stuck with VAC bans which prevents your game from going online again. VAC tags cheating accounts and then bans them in waves, so hopefully that was set up properly and a bunch of the cheaters will disappear at some point in the next month or so; I'm not really a VAC expert so I'm not sure how long it usually takes between bans.

e: I see the store page doesn't flag it as VAC secure anymore, so they may have never turned it back on after the May 8th patch when they "temporarily disabled" VAC. Before that it wasn't allowing connections for people with a VAC ban in any game on the Steam account, they may not have corrected that problem and turned it back on yet. Maybe they never will, who knows what FROM will do with a PC release.

GaylordButts fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 27, 2014

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I'm pretty sure Lucatiel knows what a Human Effigy is. She says she doesn't but the way she laughs at the end of that line pretty clearly says she's yanking your chain, at least the way I read it. I think the real thing is just that Human Effigies can only do so much; like humanity in the first game, they can stave off the curse, but they can't stop you from going Hollow forever, and while the player is real far gone when they meet the fire keepers I think that's a bit of a special case given the ambiguously extradimensional nature of Things Betwixt, the influence of the fire keepers themselves, and the fact that you can read the scene as your character literally becoming a new person after they peer into the effigy.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 27, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Opposing Farce posted:

I'm pretty sure Lucatiel knows what a Human Effigy is. She says she doesn't but the way she laughs at the end of that line pretty clearly says she's yanking your chain, at least the way I read it. I think the real thing isn't just that Human Effigies can only do so much; they can stave off the curse, but they can't stop you from going Hollow entirely, and while the player is real far gone when they meet the fire keepers I think that's a bit of a special case given the ambiguously extradimensional nature of Things Betwixt, the influence of the fire keepers themselves, and the fact that you can read the scene as your character literally becoming a new person after they peer into the effigy.

I don't really see the point of interpreting such a needlessly complex scenario out of it. Your character can remember his name, therefore he or she isn't that far gone. That's really all the explanation you need.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Effigies can't keep you sane forever, they just hold back the inevitable. The player and Benhart survive because they're loving insane and just came here to kill poo poo, and Drangleic has no shortage of dudes to kill.

Lucatiel came to Drangleic to 1) find a cure for the curse (doesn't exists) and 2) find her brother (whom is already lost to her). That's what separates her from the play, and why effigies doesn't help as much. She has a purpose, the player is just some rear end in a top hat who refuses to wear pants and puts mummy dildos on his/her head.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 27, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So any of you guys trying to avoid buying upgrade materials know any tricks for acquiring them? Obviously farming the geckos in the aerie is one option but I've been looking for some easier stuff. Here is one trick I found.

In the tower past McDuff's workshop, you can climb up the ladder to find a large titanite shard. However, on NG+ this is instead 5 large titanite shards. So you can ascetic McDuff's Bonfire, and not only get 5 large titanite but also the various materials he has in his workshop chests. Its a good amount of materials for a minute of work.

Anyways, do any of you guys around 1.3 mil SM have a spare bloodied whip? I can never get this drat thing to drop for me. I have a bunch of random crap I could give you in trade.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 27, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

For more lore chat, I wonder why humanity itself isn't used any more, only human effigies. In DS1 they were trying to coalesce back into the dark soul. Maybe too much of them did?

quote:

The player and Benhart survive because they're loving insane and just came here to kill poo poo, and Drangleic has no shortage of dudes to kill.

The blacksmith in Majula's doing pretty okay for himself too, minus the beef jerky skin. I kind of wish either DS1 or 2 had a npc that you fight and kill that shows back up at one bonfire or another. Lautrec references his phantoms and you coming back for round two if you gently caress up and die to him in the first invasion attempt, it'd have been neat to see him again later at another bonfire.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

GaylordButts posted:

e: I see the store page doesn't flag it as VAC secure anymore, so they may have never turned it back on after the May 8th patch when they "temporarily disabled" VAC. Before that it wasn't allowing connections for people with a VAC ban in any game on the Steam account, they may not have corrected that problem and turned it back on yet. Maybe they never will, who knows what FROM will do with a PC release.

You are talking about two separate things.

VAC was never actually on in any sort of correct way. From's idea of VAC was "Oh, just don't let people who are flagged by VAC, from any game, from connecting".

This presented two problems:

1) You are not supposed to look at VAC bans from other games.

2) They never implemented their own cheat detector/reporter and did not use Valve's cheat detector, so they could not ban anyone who was actually cheating in their own game.

2 is the most insane oversight ever, yet From managed to pull it off. They were outdone by Sega in the "preventing cheats" department. There really is no greater shame. They basically managed to lose the 100 meter dash against a quadriplegic.

Now then. Steam does have a "report account" thing, but it has nothing to do with VAC. Theoretically, Steam is supposed to ban accounts, but those reports are:

A) Looked at by general Steam support, who probably have no idea what people are talking about when the reports talk about specific cheats

and

B) This is Steam support, people. You think they do anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Explain how her Mirrah Greatsword suddenly turned into the Old Mirrah Greatsword. Aslatiel is her brother, that's it. He went hollow, and you don't see Lucatiel after Aldia's possibly because she encountered her maddened brother and lost all hope, since she always thought of him as much stronger than herself.