Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Guacamayo posted:

Whats a good and inexpensive silicon spatula for doing pastries?

I just got these a few weeks ago and they're pretty nice. Can't speak to their durability though.

http://smile.amazon.com/Silicone-Spatula-Set-Resistant-Guarantee/dp/B00HDABAQS/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
My fiancee's birthday is coming up and she's learning to cook fancy, slowly. She keeps talking about wanting a blender and I can get her a fancy blender, but I feel like there might be better kitchen appliances or products because what the hell do you make in a blender? I've never owned one. I have a kitchenaid stand mixer we hardly use and that has a LOT of uses. Would a food processor be better, or is a blender good these days?

I brought a lot of fancy cookware (allclad, 3 million tons of cast iron) to our relationship, have decent knives and spatulas, whisks, etc. Dunno what a good next step is. Help me cooking gods.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Not an Anthem posted:

My fiancee's birthday is coming up and she's learning to cook fancy, slowly. She keeps talking about wanting a blender and I can get her a fancy blender, but I feel like there might be better kitchen appliances or products because what the hell do you make in a blender? I've never owned one. I have a kitchenaid stand mixer we hardly use and that has a LOT of uses. Would a food processor be better, or is a blender good these days?

If she just wants to blend the occasional thing, consider getting an immersion (stick) blender. Easier to use/clean, less counter space. Good initial step unless there's a specific need to liquefy something.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Getting her a vitamix will get you laid.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
I don't currently have a blender, my wife threw it away the Breville thing we had when I got a Bamix Swissline. The Bamix is pretty gangster, but I really miss being able to blend large quantities of stuff and dryish things like nuts. Also, spending fifteen minutes pressing your liquids/soups through multiple strainers is a pain.

A Vitamix here is $780 on ebay, $1100 in stores.

Should I buy this 'Kuchef' knockoff for $99? Or am I just asking for trouble? I can't find any information about it on the interbirds, so I assume it's some rebranded chinese knockoff.

http://www.kuchef.com.au/product-categories/juicer/professional-blender.html

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
That will most certainly end up with one of you dying from ingesting broken metal or glass.

Or it'll burn out in one use and you'll be out of $100.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

If she wants a blender, get her a blender. I learned a long time ago not to try and second-guess my wife's preferences. I might get her the other thing that I just know she'll like more in addition to the blender, but not as a substitute.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Not an Anthem posted:

I brought a lot of fancy cookware (allclad, 3 million tons of cast iron) to our relationship, have decent knives and spatulas, whisks, etc. Dunno what a good next step is. Help me cooking gods.
Blender's incredibly valuable - after oven, stovetop, and Thermapen it's by far my most useful appliance.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Get the blender.

Anyone have suggestions squeeze juicer? The hand held ones, not the giant press ones.

All the ones I've looked at on Amazon seem prone to breakage or flimsy handles.

WhoIsYou
Jan 28, 2009

Guacamayo posted:

Whats a good and inexpensive silicon spatula for doing pastries?

It's not inexpensive, but these Vollrath spatulas are my favorite. They have a nice sturdy handle, can handle any heat short of a brick oven, and last for years. Get a big one and a small one, along with a dozen bowl scrapers (but not from Amazon, way overpriced there).

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

WhoIsYou posted:

along with a dozen bowl scrapers (but not from Amazon, way overpriced there).

I have like 2 cheap ones but I swear the iSi silicon one is expensive but so loving good, I barely have to rinse bowls.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Anybody familiar with this brand: http://www.amazon.com/VonShef-Professional-Piece-Mixing-Stainless/dp/B00DTSNCB4? I could use some decent metal mixing bowls.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zenzirouj posted:

Anybody familiar with this brand: http://www.amazon.com/VonShef-Professional-Piece-Mixing-Stainless/dp/B00DTSNCB4? I could use some decent metal mixing bowls.

I have some Emeril branded ones that look just like that. I dig them. The rubber on the bottom helps keep them from moving when whisking and whatnot, and the sloped bottom is pretty much perfect.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Zenzirouj posted:

all my favorite mixing bowls are the cheap as poo poo metal kind. I find rubber bottoms really annoying on metal bowls actually too.

I'd just go to your local ethnic market and pick up the cheapest metal bowls you can, and go buy a bottle of wine with the other $20

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Ikea has some decent metal bowls.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

mindphlux posted:

all my favorite mixing bowls are the cheap as poo poo metal kind. I find rubber bottoms really annoying on metal bowls actually too.

I'd just go to your local ethnic market and pick up the cheapest metal bowls you can, and go buy a bottle of wine with the other $20

$20 wine? Well, look at Dr. Hoity Toity over here!

That's probably what I'll do, though, and will grab a rocky mortar & pestle while I'm at it. Neither of those things are probably worth giving as much thought as I have been.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

Mr. Wookums posted:

Ikea has some decent metal bowls.

Yup. I use a variety of these. They are cheap (but not flimsy-cheap feeling), easy to use, and look nice (often use them for serving salads/fruit/etc...). I have a couple of the 11" bowls and a 8". I wish I could get a 10" (11" is slightly too big to cover with a single sheet of plastic wrap and 8" is too small for most things outside of whipping up sauces and smallish stuff) , but otherwise these bowls are great.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I third the ikea metal bowls. they're good. I used some for many years, and when I got new ones I just didn't care enough to schlep into an ikea, so stopped in a supermercado and done.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004
The Ikea bowls are nice and sturdy, but drat, not having a lip on them to grab onto really makes them unusable to me.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

mindphlux posted:

I so regret getting the rubber bottom bowls. I keep wanting to use them in low-ish temperatures in the oven to do poo poo like melt butter for tossing with sweet potatoes before cooking.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

No Wave posted:

I so regret getting the rubber bottom bowls. I keep wanting to use them in low-ish temperatures in the oven to do poo poo like melt butter for tossing with sweet potatoes before cooking.

That's the main sticking point I had about them. If they were some kind of high temperature silicon I wouldn't worry about it too much, but I don't know what it's made of. I sometimes like using my bowls as a double boiler or throwing them into the oven for short periods of time. I don't have so much trouble with sliding that it makes the extra bulk, extra effort to clean, and lack of temperature range worth it.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

So, I'm in the market for a pretty good rice cooker ( That can also steam veggies and the like. ) I live in Norway and the selection of rice cookers here is lovely to say the least. ( Only On/Off/Keep Warm things at 1.5-2L, for 50 - 84 USD, ( While Amazon has the equivalent for 15-30 USD. ))

So I'm thinking of importing one instead, spend a little extra to get something pretty good and small that'll last me a while.

The requirements are pretty much:
Needs to support 220-240V 50/60Hz, like the rest of Europe.
I'd prefer a fairly small one, around 1L.
And instructions / buttons in english.

I've been looking at:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hitachi-Mul...=item4180cb409c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZOJIRUSHI-M...=item19da468bf2

Although the Zojirushi(Second link) there is maybe more than I'm willing to pay, unless it's really amazing. ( I think it popped out north of 2400NOK after import and shipping, meaning 400 USD. )

Do any of you goons have any experience with Hitachi's rice cookers?
It seems pretty nice, and is far more reasonable price wise than the Zojirushi. ( 1800NOK after import, I think it was. )

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

mindphlux posted:

I agree with this dude, except I'd not be spending $20 on a single bottle of wine like ms fancy panties here. Aside from just being able to throw the things in the oven, I also like to be able to put them over the stove to get things moving from time to time. Can't do that with those rubber bottoms. If you need the thing not to slide around, wet a towel, and get it done. Also, I don't want my metal bowls to be /heavy/.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

SubNat posted:

So, I'm in the market for a pretty good rice cooker ( That can also steam veggies and the like. ) I live in Norway and the selection of rice cookers here is lovely to say the least. ( Only On/Off/Keep Warm things at 1.5-2L, for 50 - 84 USD, ( While Amazon has the equivalent for 15-30 USD. ))

So I'm thinking of importing one instead, spend a little extra to get something pretty good and small that'll last me a while.

The requirements are pretty much:
Needs to support 220-240V 50/60Hz, like the rest of Europe.
I'd prefer a fairly small one, around 1L.
And instructions / buttons in english.

I've been looking at:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hitachi-Mul...=item4180cb409c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZOJIRUSHI-M...=item19da468bf2

Although the Zojirushi(Second link) there is maybe more than I'm willing to pay, unless it's really amazing. ( I think it popped out north of 2400NOK after import and shipping, meaning 400 USD. )

Do any of you goons have any experience with Hitachi's rice cookers?
It seems pretty nice, and is far more reasonable price wise than the Zojirushi. ( 1800NOK after import, I think it was. )

The zoji you linked is 1 litre which is a rather small rice cooker, to be honest. Stick with the hitachi. I've owned that exact model in the 10 cup (2.3 litre) size, and it was around double that cost. You'll never wind up using most of the settings that come on the zoji. Unless you were like me, and had on hand literally three different varieties of brown rice alone, along with five or six different whites, just get the basic model.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Ordered a 'DUXTOP 1800-Watt Portable Induction Cooktop' just for shits and giggles but I think it will be nice to have around for pressure cooker use.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

BraveUlysses posted:

Ordered a 'DUXTOP 1800-Watt Portable Induction Cooktop' just for shits and giggles but I think it will be nice to have around for pressure cooker use.

Those things are work horses. Had them at the restaurant, and they work extremely well.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

dino. posted:

The zoji you linked is 1 litre which is a rather small rice cooker, to be honest. Stick with the hitachi. I've owned that exact model in the 10 cup (2.3 litre) size, and it was around double that cost. You'll never wind up using most of the settings that come on the zoji. Unless you were like me, and had on hand literally three different varieties of brown rice alone, along with five or six different whites, just get the basic model.

Alright, sounds good, thanks for the help in deciding.
It'll be nice to be able to make decent rice without too much effort, plus having a steamer might be neat.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

SubNat posted:

Alright, sounds good, thanks for the help in deciding.
It'll be nice to be able to make decent rice without too much effort, plus having a steamer might be neat.

I got this one to replace a 20yo super basic Panasonic, and it has been great so far. Maybe that will be easier to get where you are ?

http://www.seb.fr/cuiseur-riz/riz-cereales-co-8-en-1.htm?famille=42-13

Also sold under other brands of the same group like moulinex.

Edit: model is RK302.

Spatule fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 31, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

dino. posted:

I agree with this dude, except I'd not be spending $20 on a single bottle of wine like ms fancy panties here. Aside from just being able to throw the things in the oven, I also like to be able to put them over the stove to get things moving from time to time. Can't do that with those rubber bottoms. If you need the thing not to slide around, wet a towel, and get it done. Also, I don't want my metal bowls to be /heavy/.

yeah, I agree with all this too. I forgot that I do actually put my metal mixing bowls over the stove fairly regularly too. I've defrosted frozen chunks of stock this way, melt butter this way, and a few weeks back I was making some hot wings or whatever - my sauce froze up because of the butter and I wanted to toss my next batch, it was nice to just toss it over a burner and get it liquid again.

the more I think about it, rubber bottoms to mixing bowls is one of those things that you find in kitchens where people don't really cook. they sound nice in theory, but when you're just trying to get poo poo done in a hurry, gently caress a rubber bottom on a mixing bowl. you're usually holding a mixing bowl in your arm if you're seriously going at a mixing task anyways, aint no fool need no rubberized bottom on that poo poo. :colbert:

I hope someone enjoys these much-too-many words and much-too-serious thought about metal mixing bowls, furnished by mindphlux™.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

mindphlux posted:

yeah, I agree with all this too. I forgot that I do actually put my metal mixing bowls over the stove fairly regularly too. I've defrosted frozen chunks of stock this way, melt butter this way, and a few weeks back I was making some hot wings or whatever - my sauce froze up because of the butter and I wanted to toss my next batch, it was nice to just toss it over a burner and get it liquid again.

the more I think about it, rubber bottoms to mixing bowls is one of those things that you find in kitchens where people don't really cook. they sound nice in theory, but when you're just trying to get poo poo done in a hurry, gently caress a rubber bottom on a mixing bowl. you're usually holding a mixing bowl in your arm if you're seriously going at a mixing task anyways, aint no fool need no rubberized bottom on that poo poo. :colbert:

I hope someone enjoys these much-too-many words and much-too-serious thought about metal mixing bowls, furnished by mindphlux™.
If only we'd had this discussion a year ago.... we can now assimilate "no rubberized metal bowls" into the hivemend

flesy
May 6, 2007
y=mx+b
Looking for a decent chinois

http://www.amazon.com/Matfer-17360-...eywords=chinois is the one we use in our kitchen but what the gently caress it's 80 dollars for what seems like something relatively simple anyone have any suggestions? going to be using it for stocks, soup and yogurt. http://www.amazon.com/Rsvp-5-Ss-Conical-Strainer/dp/B0000VLZXU/ref=zg_bs_13840231_18 exists but it seems to be a bit too small and I liked the little handles the other one had on the ends to latch onto pots

Also, fluted pastry cutters, do any sets with both square and round ones exist? vol au ventzzzz all day

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Get thee to a cooking supply store. I've seen decent sized ones at the overpriced store in Manhattan for $50. If you don't live in the capital of price gouging you'll get it cheaper.

Or go here

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/12-fine-china-cap-strainer/407S5012F.html

Here are the square ones

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/ateco-5203-five-piece-fluted-square-cutter-set-1-1-4-3-august-thomsen/1445203.html

No they don't come together with a circle one.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Stupid GWS hivemind. I use rubber bottomed bowls all the time, and despite mindphlux's assertion, I cook frequently. I also have some wider ones god for tossing ingredients with without rubber bottoms. It's good to have options, but I still appreciate the not sliding around when i mix part. I have never felt the need to hold the bowl in my arm like a 50s housewife in a betty crocker commercial.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Ha! I bet forums user Flash Gordon Ramsay also has one of these Rachael Ray-branded "Garbage Bowls". They also have a rubberized base! And they reduce trips to the trash can while you're cooking!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
... why not just move the bin nearer to your cutting board.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I just use whatever bag I brought the groceries home in.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
loving rats chewing through bags.

We love OXO, how are these?

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-5-Piece-G...food+containers

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Let me channel SubG here:

GET RID OF YOUR loving RATS YOU UNCOUTH RETROGRADE CHIMPANZEE.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

deimos posted:

Let me channel SubG here:

GET RID OF YOUR loving RATS YOU UNCOUTH RETROGRADE CHIMPANZEE.

Tell that to my poo poo building management and NYC :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Get a cat. And some glass jars of various sizes from Ikea.

• Locked thread