Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
Just you wait, when the time comes that the USMNT job is open, Justin Bailey is gonna steal it from under your nose!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!

habeasdorkus posted:

Colwyn Bay got past The New Saints on penalties in a match that only 40 people paid to see. By comparison our match with Swansea drew a near capacity crowd.

vs. Colwyn Bay, July 31, 2021
The Mini-Cwp

This is a chance to play rookies, even with a new bajillionaire owner Colwyn Bay is way, way down in the seventh tier of the English football pyramid. That's lower than we started at, the only way to play Football Manager at that level is through modding. Which some people do, those mods give you a chance to play as low as the 9th level on the pyramid.

Starting Formation: 4-2-3-1 Control
Starting 11: Kovacevic, Cirjak (c), O'Hanlon, Todd, Feruga, Morvan, Julio, Djurovic, Argenti, Cardozo, Aarts.
Subs: El Sayed, Jansen, Pejkovic, Ludwig, Alvaro, Dixon, Newman, Petts, Mujkic, Rouissi, De Blasio, Bastable.

Our final preseason match is a relaxing thrashing of the upstart Canuck's new toy. Todd gets scoring underway at 18 minutes with a header, and Aarts continues to finish with aplomb against poor opposition, with two goals in the first half. The final hour is played largely by our youth squad, with Cosimo Di Blasio and Kais Rouissi both scoring late to increase our lead even further. Dejan Djurovic caps off a match where he had two assists with a goal of his own, and we recapture the Mini-Cwp.

Man of the Match: Dejan Djurovic

Wrexham 6-0 Colwyn Bay

drat these 'pitches', they have much less ice on them than I was led to believe! I will win the Stanley Cwp if it takes every jillion of my bajillion dollars!

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Mexico?! not insulting enough! Adopt the Black Orchid, the Keel-billed Toucan and the Baird's Tapir and stomp all over the homeland that spurned you as national coach of Belize!

habeasdorkus posted:

Isn't it nice being rich and not having to worry about the field condition anymore?

Oh man, it sure would be! My home field has been under renovation for two years.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

So in order from top to bottom there's Premier, Championship, League 1, League 2, Skrill Premier, and Skrill Regional (North and South). So what are the other three layers of English soccer? And are their names any sillier than "Skrill?"

they are here and yes!

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 26, 2014

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
You should take over Canada instead, because it would be that much more embarassing when the US loses.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

So in order from top to bottom there's Premier, Championship, League 1, League 2, Skrill Premier, and Skrill Regional (North and South). So what are the other three layers of English soccer? And are their names any sillier than "Skrill?"

Skrill is actually just the name of the sponsor (Skrill is an e-wallet service), the generic name would have Skrill replaced with Conference (i.e. Conference North, Conference Premier League). In the levels under Skrill there are three separate leagues with their own division competitions - South, North, and the Isthmian League (London & surroundings).

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

We-ell, there are 24 layers to the pyramid right now, encompassing a few hundred different leagues of varying regionality. The English take their foot-to-ball very seriously.

As for names, the Evo-Stik League Northern Premier First Division North is a pretty silly name. Skrill apparently dropped their sponsorship so we can hope for a dumber name next year.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Torrannor posted:

Never stop, habeasdorkus. Your turn at the helm of the USMNT will come.

I second this. Think of having this guy ruin the team some more as building the challenge you will ultimately face when you take over. They saw what you did with Wrexham and maybe think that you can only work your magic when the team is godawful and you can rebuild from scratch. The worse the team is when Scott Brown takes over the better they can be when they reach the top.

Insertnamehere31 fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 26, 2014

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Xerophyte posted:

We-ell, there are 24 layers to the pyramid right now, encompassing a few hundred different leagues of varying regionality. The English take their foot-to-ball very seriously.

As for names, the Evo-Stik League Northern Premier First Division North is a pretty silly name. Skrill apparently dropped their sponsorship so we can hope for a dumber name next year.

So if I walk into a club off the street with, say, 5 years of school football experience, and paid their fee, could I expect to end up in a team playing as far up as tier 19?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Skrill is the website that sponsors those leagues, their actual names are the Football Conference Premier and Football Conference North/South (or Conference Regional, when referred to together). Likewise, Evo-Stik, Calor Gas, and Ryman sponsor the level 7 and level 8 leagues.Here's the easiest way to look at the English football pyramid. Essentially once you get below the Conference Regional there's a shitton of different regional leagues on the same level of the pyramid, with three leagues of 24 teams comprising level 7 and six leagues of 22 teams each comprising level 8.

Once you get below that you're into level 9, with 14 leagues of 17-23 clubs each. That's a total of 661 teams in those 9 levels, but there's a total of 24 total levels to the English Football Pyramid. Add in those and you're looking at 6,500 teams. If you were to start at level 24 and win promotion every year it would take you 23 years to reach the Premier League.

ETA: Or what everyone above me said.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

And of course, since this is FM, there are databases that include teams as far down as the 12 tier. Want to bring the Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers Arborfield from the Reading Football League Premier all the way up? Go for it! Just accept that it's going to take a long, long time.

EDIT: Edited because I keep misreading which teams are in which divisions

TheFlyingLlama fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 26, 2014

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I could read about the byzantine lower league system all day really. Even the names of these UK clubs evoke such a variety of history.

Avro, builders of the Lancaster bomber, ceased to be an independent entity in 1963, but the football club they established won the Manchester city league in 2009.

Disaster struck in the mining league in 2010 when Madron FC took the field with seven players and lost 55-0

And thank you, AFC Craven, Lizard Argyle, Knowles Teenagers and Railway Berry Bow simply for existing. :shobon:

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Lower league football is serious business. When I visit my parents in August, I'll make sure to catch some of that sweet, sweet tier 12 action. Go Berrow FC!

They normally draw a crowd of 30.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

I'm going to manage Mexico to a World Cup victory, and I'm going to do it while kicking your rear end every single goddamned time we play.

I want to see that.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

So we made the group stage of the Champions League. No easy games here, but no megabastards either. I think we have a good chance to advance.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

habeasdorkus posted:

So we made the group stage of the Champions League. No easy games here, but no megabastards either. I think we have a good chance to advance.

Did you utterly murder Celtic? Please say yes.

Also, what group did Rangers get?

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

So when do we get a new TV deal? As far as I know it's still the same as your first year (42.48 Million)

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Given your relationship with Bastable and Mujikic, doesn't it make more sense to snag the Australian job. We love importing a coach as well.

This might be my inner Australian tragic speaking though :australia:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

A Tartan Tory posted:

Also, what group did Rangers get?

I'd give them a puncher's chance to get the second spot out of the group over Porto and Lyon.

Dreamsicle posted:

So when do we get a new TV deal? As far as I know it's still the same as your first year (42.48 Million)

Football Manager doesn't have inflation and new deals, sadly. It's the same each year. We will get a whole bunch of money from competing in the group stage, though.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Game is currently $12.50 on Amazon, and $17.50 on Steam!

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

TheFlyingLlama posted:

And of course, since this is FM, there are databases that include teams as far down as the 12 tier. Want to bring the Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers Arborfield from the Reading Football League Premier all the way up? Go for it! Just accept that it's going to take a long, long time.

If you ever get fired habeasdorkus please use mods and manage a team in the lowest tier and get them to the top.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Geokinesis posted:

If you ever get fired habeasdorkus please use mods and manage a team in the lowest tier and get them to the top.

I've even found the perfect club.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Lincoln there gave me a bit of a double take. I had a look at the Wikipedia article and it doesn't mention why they are named after Lincoln City FC. Apparently they are the giants of Gibraltarian football though.

They are in the Champion's League preliminary round for the 2014/2015 season IRL as well.

Munin fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 27, 2014

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Jaguars! posted:

So if I walk into a club off the street with, say, 5 years of school football experience, and paid their fee, could I expect to end up in a team playing as far up as tier 19?

I clicked randomly and got a fun story:

quote:

Tunstall Town received national and even international attention in the 2010–11 season, after losing all of their games, and conceding an average of close to ten goals a game; however the team's first eleven did consist of players as old as 75.[1][2][3] On 22 February 2014, they ended a 171-game winless run with a 3-2 victory over Betley Reserves.[4]

Apparently that might be considered a tier-13 team, although I suspect it's not possible for them to get relegated straight out of the league.

So, can you beat a 75-year-old? If so, Tier 13 may be within your reach!

Club legends: Justeen Booley, Moteo Mijkoc

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I'm not sure when the next update is going to get up, it's played but still has a few hours of work before being ready. Probably tonight around 10pm my time. So to tide you over, a couple things.

1) Our schedule:

I wasn't foolin' when I said we'd be playing a lot more games. The Champions League has already added 8 games to our schedule in the first 4 months. So long as we finish at least third in our group, we're going to make the knockout round of either the Champions League or Europa League (third place finishers in the Champions League get put in the Europa League knockout round)- that means at least two more continental games atop the eight already scheduled. If we make it deep into the Champions League and the various cups, we could be looking at 75 games played in 42 weeks. Add in the 7 games we played in preseason, and it's 82 games in 46 weeks. We're going to be downright exhausted.

The good news is that we don't have any stretches where our Premier League schedule is stacked with difficult games one after another. Arsenal and Man U back to back in December and Tottenham/Chelsea/Man City in late January/early February looks like the worst of it. The schedule will get worse if we're still playing on the continent and in the Cups, we might be adding a home/away tie with Real Madrid or facing one of the Manchesters in a cup match at the same time, but for the most part we'll be able to mix the hard and easy.

2) Yearly Prediction Contest:

This year the contest will be to predict which teams advance out of the group stage of both the Champions League, and which team in each group will finish third. The tiebreaker will be Wrexham's total goals scored across all competitions (including the mini-Cwp and Community Shield but not including friendlies) at the end of the year.

Champions League Groups

e.g. Group A Barca and Napoli advance, Basel finishes third. Wrexham will score a glorious 181 goals.

Entries will be open until the posting of the September update (2 updates from now).

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 27, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Group, Advance, Advance, Third

A, Barcelona, Basel, Napoli
B, Wrexham, Valencia, Schalke
C, Bayern, Milan, Videoton
D, Arsenal, Benfica, Salzburg
E, Real, PSV, Anji
F, ManU, Dortmund, Anderlecht
G, Juventus, Rangers, Porto
H, PSG, ManCity, Granada

Goals for Wrexham: 117

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Group A, Barca and Napoli, Basel 3rd.
Group B, Marseille and Wrexham, Schalke 3rd.
Group C, Bayern and Milan, Rijeka 3rd.
Group D, Arsenal and Benefica, Salzburg 3rd.
Group E, Real and PSV, Anji 3rd.
Group F, Dortmund and United, Anderlecht 3rd.
Group G, Juventus and Rangers, Porto 3rd.
Group H, City and PSG, Granada 3rd.

Wrexham will score 125 goals.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

The next update will contain CL results though right? That kinda encourages the canny gambler to hold off entering until the last moment.

Scratch that. Got our friendlies and the start of the season results already posted up here mixed up...

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

A:
Adv - Barcelona / Napoli
3rd - Basel
B:
Adv - Wrexham / Schalke
3rd - Marseille
C:
Adv - Milan / Bayern
3rd - Rijeka
D:
Adv - Arsenal / Benfica
3rd - Rubin
E:
Adv - Real Madrid / PSV
3rd - Anji
F:
Adv - Man Utd / Dortmund
3rd - Anderlecht
G:
Adv - Juventus / Porto
3rd - Lyon
H:
Adv - PSG Man / City
3rd - Granada

Goals: 120

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Group A: Barcelona, Napoli, Basel 3rd
Group B: Wrexham, Marseille, Valencia 3rd
Group C: Bayern, Milan, Rijeka 3rd
Group D: Arsenal, Benfica, Rubin 3rd
Group E: Real, PSV, Slask 3rd
Group F: Pooshite'd, Dortmund, Anderlecht 3rd
Group G: Juventus, Leon, Rangers 3rd
Group H: Man City, PSG, Granada 3rd

Tie Breaker: 110 goals

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Group A, Barca and Napoli, Basel 3rd.
Group B, Valencia and Wrexham, Schalke 3rd.
Group C, Bayern and Milan, Rijeka 3rd.
Group D, Arsenal and Benefica, Rubin 3rd.
Group E, Real Madrid and PSV, Anji 3rd.
Group F, Dortmund and United, Anderlecht 3rd.
Group G, Juventus and Rangers, Lyon 3rd.
Group H, City and PSG, Stromgodset 3rd. (What the gently caress is Granada doing there?)

120 goals for Wrexham.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

A: Barca and Napoli advance, Basel third
B: Wrexham and Marseille advance, Valencia third
C: Bayern and Milan advance, Videoton third
D: Benfica and Arsenal advance, Salzburg third
E: Madrid and PSV advance, Slask third
F: Man U and Dortmund advance, Karpaty third
G: Juventus and Rangers advance, Porto third
H: PSG and Man City advance, Granada third

115 goals for Wrexham

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Munin posted:

Scratch that. Got our friendlies and the start of the season results already posted up here mixed up...

Yeah, I posted the results for August above, so that people can take that into account. Through the 8 games so far we've scored 28 goals.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!
I know I'll Bomb this hard (and many of these are blind-rear end guesses)but gently caress it.

Those who Advance:

Group A: Barcelona/Napoli
Group B: Marseille/Valencia
Group C: Milan (Isn't it FC Milan?)/FC Bayern
Group D: Arsenal/Benifica
Group E: Real Madrid/PSV
Group F: Man U/Dortmund
Group G: Juventus/Rangers
Group H: PSG/Man City

Those who finish 3rd:
Group A: Basel
Group B: Wrexham (close but we'll get too winded)
Group C: Videoton
Group D: Rubin
Group E: Slask
Group F: Karpaty
Group G: Porto

Wrexham scores 150 goals

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I have no clue what I'm doing. :bravo:

Group A: Barcelona, Napoli, Basel 3rd
Group B: Marseille, Wrexham, Schalke 3rd
Group C: Bayern, Milan, Rijeka 3rd
Group D: Arsenal, Benfica, Rubin 3rd
Group E: Real, PSV, Anji 3rd
Group F: Megabastard U, Anderlecht, Dortmund 3rd
Group G: Juventus, Lyon, Porto 3rd
Group H: Man City, PSG, Stromodset 3rd

Tie Breaker: 160 goals. We're averaging 3.5 per game right now, and while that's going to come back to earth averaging 2G/g isn't tots unrealistic, so across 82 games that comes into some 160-170 goals. I'll take the lower number under the idea we don't make as many deep runs as we did last year.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
A) Barcelona and Napoli advance, H. Tel-Aviv finishes third
B) Arsenal and Rubin advance, Benfica finishes third
C) Wrexham and Valencia advance, Marseille finishes third
D) Real Madrid and Slask advance, PSV finishes third
E) Milan and FC Bayern advance, Videoton finishes third
F) Dortmund and Man Utd advance, Anderlecht finishes third
G) Juventis and Rangers advance, Lyon finishes third
H) Man City and PSG advance, Granada finishes third

Wrexham will score 148 goals this season.

I know what I'll do if I win, Colwyn Bay somehow bought their way into the Skrill Premier and brought over field hockey players this time! Or I'll steal Bailey.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

It's going to be a tough year for our players. Here's praying for no more serious injuries.

1st/2nd/3rd
Group A: Barcelona/Napoli/Basel
Group B: Wrexham/Marseille/Schalke
Group C: Milan/Bayern/Rijeka
Group D: Arsenal/Benfica/RB Salzburg
Group E: Real Madrid/PSV/Anji
Group F: Man Utd/Dortmund/Anderlecht
Group G: Juventus/Lyon/Porto
Group H: PSG/Man City/Granada

As for goals, 130 sounds alright. Could definitely be higher or lower, as we can definitely push 5-6 a game if we get lucky draws in the cups.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Group A: Barca and Napoli Advance, Basel 3rd
Group B: Wrexham and Valencia Advance, Schalke 3rd
Group C: Bayern Munich and Milan advance, Rijeka 3rd
Group D: Arsenal and Benefica advance, Rubin 3rd
Group E: Real Madrid and PSV advance, Anji 3rd
Group F: United and Dortmund advance, Anderlecht 3rd
Group G: Juventus and Porto advance, Rangers 3rd
Group H: PSG and Man City advance, Granada 3rd

Wrexham scores 156 goals.

Sicke
Jul 12, 2013

Honestly I just wanted a seal picture
A. Barcelona, Napoli; 3rd Basel
B. Wrexham, Marseille; 3rd Valencia
C. FC Bayern, Milan; 3rd Videoton
D. Arsenal, Rubin; 3rd Benfica
E. Real Madrid, PSV; 3rd Anji
F. ManU, Dortmund; 3rd Karpaty
G. Juventes, Porto; 3rd Rangers
H. Man City, PSG; 3rd Granada

Tie Breaker: 168 goals for Wrexham

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
A: Barcelona, Napoli, 3rd Basel
B: Wrexham, Marseille, 3rd Valencia
C: Bayern, Milan, 3rd Videoton
D: Arsenal, Benefica, 3rd Rubin
E: Real Madrid, PSV, 3rd Slask
F: Dortmund, United 3rd Anderlecht
G: Juventus, Lyon, 3rd Rangers
H: Man City, PSG, 3rd Stromodset

Wrexham will score 146 goals this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

A: Barcelona, Napoli, Basel
B: Marseille, Wrexham, Schalke
C: AC Milan, Bayern, Rijeka
D: Arsenal, Benfica, Rubin
E: Real Madrid, Anji, PSV
F: Man U, Dortmund, Anderlecht
G: Juventus, Porto, Lyon
H: PSG, Man City, Granada

These are in order of finish, so for example, Barca first, Napoli second, Basel third.

Tie Breaker: 138 Goals for Wrexham

Hardest group is probably group B, you've got 3 teams that (normally, at least) are squarely in that second tier, so I could realistically see anyone win that group.

• Locked thread