Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Someone remake episode one of Doom with those visuals please!

(lose the inventory system though, ugh)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaos
Dec 30, 2008

Unleash the fiery Armageddon.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I had a lot of fun with the HD remakes by playing them on "Serious" difficulty without saving/loading during levels, which gives you a significant score multiplier at the end of each map. Basically I tried to get the highest score I could get by iron-manning, finding all of the secrets, collecting everything I could find, and killing everything on a map. I love making those numbers get higher and higher, though. It's why I wish there was a "mod" for doom that implemented a similar arcade-style scoring system. Sort of like ScoreDoom, only it would work with other mods like Nazis!, MSX, and BD.

EDIT: I should say that I played the original TFE/TSE when they first came out, and I think they had a scoring system too, but I can't remember.

You might be interested in the scoredoom port variant of gzdoom.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It's really impressive they did that using Doom but the distortion makes me sick.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I can't find any kind of manual for Wrath of Cronos. Does Agility affect ALL ranged weapons, even stuff like the Mage's staffs?

btw, found a wad that replaces Hexen's music with Hexen 64's music which I like a lot more. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33007363/hex64mus.pk3

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

As far as I can tell with a bit of code diving, the Blunderbuss and Hellforge Cannon scale with Agility, the Enchanted Bow, Glacial Crossbow and Ethereal Crossbow scale with a combination of Agility and Intellect, and every other projectile scales with Intellect, including the Warrior's weapons.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
There is some ECWolf news. Among other things, it has automap support in the official 1.3 version. It also supports that Noah's Ark game now, and the author even managed to get a deal where if you buy it from there most of the money will go to him instead of to Wisdom Tree. Finally, he mentions that if this indiegogo project succeeds the source codes for the Softdisk-owned id games (including Hovertank 3D and the Catacomb series) will be released which means these pre-Wolf 3D games might end up supported in ECWolf.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Less than a week after I finally set up a daily build so I'd have automapping, too.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Awesome! I've been itching to replay Wolf3D recently, and it gives me a good excuse to finally upgrade to ECWolf instead of using the original .exes.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Finally, he mentions that if this indiegogo project succeeds the source codes for the Softdisk-owned id games (including Hovertank 3D and the Catacomb series) will be released which means these pre-Wolf 3D games might end up supported in ECWolf.

Jesus Christ, someone just funded this with $1,000 :stare:

Less than $500 to go!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Less than $500 for just Keen Dreams, if I'm not mistaken. The Catacombs quadrology would probably cost a smidgen more.

I hope they get 'em, though, if only because I kinda like the Catacombs games, stupidly simplistic though they are.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I really hope that's real.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Now it's back to $80. I'm not sure I understand crowd funding.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Hey guys, some Quake news for you all - well, Quoth news anyway. sock, the mapper who made some of the finest Quake maps of 2013, has released a new map called Metal Monstrosity for Quoth. It's a Coagula style map, with a unique blend of tech and metal and a lovely custom skybox to boot. Meanwhile, I've gone and dug out an old map pack called The Lost Chapters, which was made for the predecessor to Quoth, and sorted it all out to run in the new version. So that's like 9 new maps to play (or 1 excellent new map if you played the older pack already). All the goods are over at http://tomeofpreach.wordpress.com/quoth/map-packs/

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Return To Castle Wolfenstein stutters on my laptop. Apparently this is a problem with modern hardware. Oh well. It still looks really good too.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

James Woods Fan posted:

Return To Castle Wolfenstein stutters on my laptop. Apparently this is a problem with modern hardware. Oh well. It still looks really good too.

Might be a long shot, but are you using a gaming (i.e. high DPI) mouse? If so, try reducing the reports per second to 250 or below.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

That's not stuttering. That's the main characters ptsd kicking in.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

If anyone is interested in old Nintendo franchises, I released a silly little Zandronum/ZDoom mod today.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Heavy_D posted:

Hey guys, some Quake news for you all - well, Quoth news anyway. sock, the mapper who made some of the finest Quake maps of 2013, has released a new map called Metal Monstrosity for Quoth. It's a Coagula style map, with a unique blend of tech and metal and a lovely custom skybox to boot. Meanwhile, I've gone and dug out an old map pack called The Lost Chapters, which was made for the predecessor to Quoth, and sorted it all out to run in the new version. So that's like 9 new maps to play (or 1 excellent new map if you played the older pack already). All the goods are over at http://tomeofpreach.wordpress.com/quoth/map-packs/

Oh drat that looks great, thanks for sharing.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

TerminusEst13 posted:

If anyone is interested in old Nintendo franchises, I released a silly little Zandronum/ZDoom mod today.

Wow, nice work. That looks like the kind of conversion we could have only dreamed of back in the mid-90's. Will definitely check it out later.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

The Painkiller series is on sale on Steam.

People seem to like the first one. Any of the sequels (the remake?) any good?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

Has this been posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adr66rvCFpw

:3: I love throwbacks like that.

I didn't really care for RTCW or Wolf09 but this one is getting pretty good reviews, I think I may pick it up and give it a shot.

I do really regret buying Rise of the Triad, though, which is why I haven't pulled the trigger on wolf yet. But it seems very different.

The guy playing doesn't seem to understand what's going on though.

"Oh it's like they're 2D or something :downs:"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TerminusEst13 posted:

Doom Prime! You even did the morph ball! :3:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

TerminusEst13 posted:

Everyone do yourself a solid and play the poo poo out of this. TerminusEst13 has managed to create one of the most fun Doom wads in years. The dynamic gameplay coupled with all the movement and weapon options is truly something to behold.

Do it.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I remember playing that WAD online and having tons of fun. Definitely worth getting.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Superschaf posted:

The Painkiller series is on sale on Steam.

People seem to like the first one. Any of the sequels (the remake?) any good?

I've heard that Hell and Damnation is pretty good, if having less enemies in some areas, and having a kinda clipshow style (that lets it skip over the lame levels from the original), but I haven't played it. It has a lot of DLC? How are the DLC levels? As for the other sequels, I head that Overdose is the best of them. And Overdose is really bad.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Hey I remember there being this cartoon on youtube of a crossover between Castlevania and Wolfenstein. It featured BJ and Simon fighting over a roast chicken dinner. No matter what I search for I can't find the drat video. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The first Painkiller is still one of the best first person shooters I've ever played. There just isn't much as fun as taking on legions of undead with a loving weedwhacker.

Gashroom
Jul 13, 2005

Segmentation Fault posted:

Hey I remember there being this cartoon on youtube of a crossover between Castlevania and Wolfenstein. It featured BJ and Simon fighting over a roast chicken dinner. No matter what I search for I can't find the drat video. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE77bYYjO-Q

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Segmentation Fault posted:

Blazkowicz Escapes!

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I know it's a late response, but on the subject of good gun sound and feel, the Ballistic Weapons mod for UT2004 has it in spades. The recoil and BOOM of the double-barrel pump-action makes blasting someone clear across the room with it that much more satisfying.

The enhanced gore sells it too. Nailing an enemy with the RPG results in a big mess and a cloud of smoke and vaporized flesh. :unsmigghh:

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 28, 2014

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Kazvall posted:

Everyone do yourself a solid and play the poo poo out of this. TerminusEst13 has managed to create one of the most fun Doom wads in years. The dynamic gameplay coupled with all the movement and weapon options is truly something to behold.

Do it.

I can't make it work... it gets to the telling you about your difficulty level, then nothing.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

I know it's a late response, but on the subject of good gun sound and feel, the Ballistic Weapons mod for UT2004 has it in spades. The recoil and BOOM of the double-barrel pump-action makes blasting someone clear across the room with it that much more satisfying.

The enhanced gore sells it too. Nailing an enemy with the RPG results in a big mess and a cloud of smoke and vaporized flesh. :unsmigghh:

The aiming is kinda hard to fiddle with, but, yes, it's loving amazing, and that double-barrel shotgun blasts (har har) all other shotguns (except the ludicrously overpowered not-a-USAS-12 autoshotgun) out of the water.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Keiya posted:

I can't make it work... it gets to the telling you about your difficulty level, then nothing.

Did you press Y?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

JackMackerel posted:

The aiming is kinda hard to fiddle with, but, yes, it's loving amazing, and that double-barrel shotgun blasts (har har) all other shotguns (except the ludicrously overpowered not-a-USAS-12 autoshotgun) out of the water.

The default recoil and flinch values are way too high, dropping them to half of that makes it feel much better. The motion blur can gently caress off though.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Brovstin posted:

Did you press Y?

No, because it didn't tell me to do so. Now it works.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Bloody Pom posted:

I love Ballistic Weapons. The guns are fun, the recoil and aiming system makes sense and is pretty neat, and it plays to UT2k4's map design. I disabled reloading weapons to make it feel more like it belongs in a UT game. I haven't played vanilla UT2k4 in a long time because Ballistic Weapons is way more fun.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

The default recoil and flinch values are way too high, dropping them to half of that makes it feel much better. The motion blur can gently caress off though.

That's what I love about Ballistic Weapons: how much you can tweak the various options to fine tune the experience to your tastes. It's a great mod.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I think Ballistic Weapons' arsenal feels more substantial and fun to use than the stuff found in most FPS games. The animations are top-notch, virtually every weapon has several different uses and modes (an Uzi that doubles as a CQB cutting device, a meaty shotgun that has a taser and functioning flashlight attached to it, a ridiculous high-caliber pistol with a blinding flash alt-fire, etc.) There are a zillion guns and--while there are inevitable redundancies between many of them--each one still (somehow) feels unique enough that everybody can find their own combination of preferred guns and strategies. I know I've mentioned it before, but even the environmental interactions of some of the weapons is really special: Electrical weapons that damage the user in water, flamethrowers that can get damaged and kill their users, etc. The mod's just goddamned cool.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Keiya posted:

No, because it didn't tell me to do so. Now it works.

Ah, sorry. I'll put that in next update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

Let's RUNNING!! :ussr:
Johnny Law you out there? Reinstalled Quake (hopefully for keeps this time, not sure why I keep uninstalling it), got Quake Injector working, got the frikbot quickstart working--thanks for making that available, you are the best Quake ambassador.

Anyway few Q's:
1) is there a command to move to next map in the cycle or is it on a timer? Didn't see this in the readmes. Kind of afraid I'll end up on DM4 for 45 minutes if I don't know this ahead of time (edit: ok, 25 frags, but maybe I just wanna skip the map)
2) can you make the bots use skins? Not seeing anywhere to edit the bots, does any bot have this functionality

ExMortis fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 28, 2014