Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Two Finger posted:

Nice and cheap on Steam, too. Is there any particular one I should start with? I never played them...

You can't go wrong with the first two games. The second (X-COM: Terror from the Deep) is basically a re-skin of the first one, so there is little point in getting both.

If you want prettier graphics, the newest XCOM is a very good reimagining of the series, and the expansion adds a good amount of new content. It's about 40€ for both IIRC, though.

The rest are good but not great. Skip the XCOM: Intercerptor (spaceship simulator) and the FPS one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I highly recommend using OpenXCOM to play the original: http://openxcom.org/

It streamlines the interface and fixes many many many bugs, while largely sticking to the original gameplay.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Two Finger posted:

Nice and cheap on Steam, too. Is there any particular one I should start with? I never played them...

Honestly just pick up Enemy Within. You might not have the patience for the older games.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Two Finger posted:

Start with X-COM: UFO Defence played in OpenXCOM, or XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Enemy Within, the remake.

X-COM: TFTD is basically a harder, standalone expansion to UFO (and is buggy enough that you should probably hold off until OpenXCOM supports it unless you are really craving it).

X-COM: Apocalypse was an attempt to add real-time support that, IMO, worked very badly, but some people consider it their favourite.

Enforcer and Interceptor are terrible and should be avoided.

Between UFO and EU, EU is a much more accessible and polished experience, but also plays very differently; the strategic layer is hugely simplified and missions are much smaller in scale (4-6 X-COM troops rather than 14-28, with correspondingly smaller maps and alien counts). I enjoyed them both a great deal but it's the original I keep coming back to. (The original is also much more brutal, even on easier difficulty levels; you will have a lot of troops, but you will also suffer serious losses on a regular basis. I'm not sure I'd call it "harder" as a result, since you are more able to absorb those losses than in EU.)

I'm also told that if you like the original, Xenonauts is an excellent spiritual sequel to it, but I haven't yet played it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm looking for something that is basically "Dynasty Warriors" for PC.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

I'm looking for something that is basically "Dynasty Warriors" for PC.

Does Dinasty Warriors work?

Disclaimer: I have absolutely no idea of whether it's any good.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fat Samurai posted:

Does Dinasty Warriors work?

Disclaimer: I have absolutely no idea of whether it's any good.

:blush: Oh. I guess I should have google'd first.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Isn't Dynasty Warriors 8 out for PC?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah, looking at the store it's Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Complete Edition. :v: It's $50 in the NA store.

It's also linked in the post above yours.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

:blush: Oh. I guess I should have google'd first.

I only remembered because it surprised me a lot seeing it on Steam, if that's any help. I thought it was only on consoles.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 26, 2014

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Just be sure to save often, as there was a glitch at launch that crashed the game after you played a certain amount of stages in one session. Recent updates seem to have improved that, but it never hurts to be safe. The game itself is great if you like the series.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Recommend me a PC game where you manage a roster of dudes and watch them develop. Doesn't have to be sports. Something more accessible than Football Manager, but more involved and manage-y than XCOM or Blood Bowl. Preferably something where the 'game' can be run Com vs. Com and I feel like I set them up to succeed or fail based on decisions and development made beforehand.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Recommend me a PC game where you manage a roster of dudes and watch them develop. Doesn't have to be sports. Something more accessible than Football Manager, but more involved and manage-y than XCOM or Blood Bowl. Preferably something where the 'game' can be run Com vs. Com and I feel like I set them up to succeed or fail based on decisions and development made beforehand.

Not sure how accessible Football Manager is, but I know Crusader Kings 2 has an "observe" mode that is accessible via console commands.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
I just got laid off and my new job doesn't start for a month, leaving me with massive spare time that I don't usually have. Can someone recommend some time-consuming simulation games because I love them but never get chance to play them when i'm working. Things like Banished, Dwarf Fortress or Tropico... but not tropico 5 as I'm gonna have a bit of a poor month and need somethings that are not selling at full big budget game price.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

d3c0y2 posted:

I just got laid off and my new job doesn't start for a month, leaving me with massive spare time that I don't usually have. Can someone recommend some time-consuming simulation games because I love them but never get chance to play them when i'm working. Things like Banished, Dwarf Fortress or Tropico... but not tropico 5 as I'm gonna have a bit of a poor month and need somethings that are not selling at full big budget game price.

Anno 1404 and 2070 are both fantastically great. Especially if you get the expansion to 2070, it becomes SimBioshock.

Age of Wonders 3 and Rome Total War are also both really amazing if you're up for more turn based conquest rather than strict city building.

Should be able to get all of those for varying levels of cheap. Or you could get Medieval Total War for pennies if you don't already have it.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

d3c0y2 posted:

I'd recommend Factorio for all your time-burning needs. You can blink and hours go by. Plus at ~$13, it's cheap!

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Anno 1404 and 2070 are both fantastically great. Especially if you get the expansion to 2070, it becomes SimBioshock.

Age of Wonders 3 and Rome Total War are also both really amazing if you're up for more turn based conquest rather than strict city building.

Should be able to get all of those for varying levels of cheap. Or you could get Medieval Total War for pennies if you don't already have it.

I've got of these already. I've been playing some AoWIII but its starting to get a little stale. And UPlay has been an annoyance and won't patch to let me play my anno games otherwise i'd be playing them constantly!

Evilreaver posted:

I'd recommend Factorio for all your time-burning needs. You can blink and hours go by. Plus at ~$13, it's cheap!

Alright, I've nosed this out and it looks like it'd scratch my itch. The graphics might be odd but I survived Dwarf Fortress and Space Station 13 so im sure i'll manage. What's the frame-rate like, is it clunky?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

d3c0y2 posted:

Alright, I've nosed this out and it looks like it'd scratch my itch. The graphics might be odd but I survived Dwarf Fortress and Space Station 13 so im sure i'll manage. What's the frame-rate like, is it clunky?

It's quite smooth in motion, and the game is also in the middle of a gradual graphical overhaul, so they should get both prettier and more consistent over the next few releases.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3602737

We have a goon league of XpertEleven which is basically a soccer management game.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sensible World of Soccer has a management aspect, and I think you can just let the PC play the main game, while you manage the team behind the scenes. It's fairly light from that standpoint.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
You've ruined my life. This factorio game is ridiculously addictive.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

RabbitWizard posted:

"Virtual Villagers" sounds about right. AFAIK there are 5 parts out right now.

Someone needs to tell me more bout this, it looks kinda cool but I'm hesitant

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Nuclear War posted:

What do you want to know exactly?

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Nuclear War posted:

You start with a handful of villagers. You give them tasks, which they kinda-sorta do. They gather food, do science, build stuff, etc. Eventually, you start to run into puzzles, which generally require you to tell your villagers to do things to solve them. Your villagers grow up, gain skills, have babies, and die. The games 'run' even when they are not open (I think they look at your system clock and simulate when you load a game), and are paced with that assumption. Basically, very advanced tamagachi pets.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

If any of you have any interest in tactics with RPGs elements, beautiful art, customizable attack loadouts, humming, interesting battle mechanics, sci-fi settings, awesome music, intriguing story, great voice acting, beach balls and/or chopping robots up with swords, go play Transistor ASAP.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Are there any PC games that are similar to Harvest Moon / Rune Factory? I want a life sim / town / dungeoning / potentially farming game to play and I don't want to break out my old DS to play my Harvest Moon copy.

Recetter is about as close as I can think of, and while I like that game a lot I'm looking for something a bit more laid back. It seems unlikely but I thought I'd check.

Should I just buy the PS3 Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny game and forget playing on the PC?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Substandard posted:

Are there any PC games that are similar to Harvest Moon / Rune Factory? I want a life sim / town / dungeoning / potentially farming game to play and I don't want to break out my old DS to play my Harvest Moon copy.

Recetter is about as close as I can think of, and while I like that game a lot I'm looking for something a bit more laid back. It seems unlikely but I thought I'd check.

Should I just buy the PS3 Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny game and forget playing on the PC?

Dolphin emulation with one of the Gamecube/Wii Harvest Moon games?

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

Substandard posted:

It's not out yet, and I don't think anybody knows when it'll be out, but Stardew Valley looks like it's holding true to Harvest Moon ideas with a bit of Rune Factory stuff. According to the blog it's nearing completion so it'll be worth keeping an eye on.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Tiramisu posted:

It's not out yet, and I don't think anybody knows when it'll be out, but Stardew Valley looks like it's holding true to Harvest Moon ideas with a bit of Rune Factory stuff. According to the blog it's nearing completion so it'll be worth keeping an eye on.

This definitely looks like what I am looking for at least in spirit. I'll have to keep an eye on it and see how it turns out. I'm kind of shocked it's not in some form of early access alpha like everything else these days!

For the time being, I'll have to get Dolphin up and running and try out emulation for one of the wii versions. I haven't had any luck getting it working with an actual wii-mote in the past though, so hopefully they are xbox controller playable.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Substandard posted:

This definitely looks like what I am looking for at least in spirit. I'll have to keep an eye on it and see how it turns out. I'm kind of shocked it's not in some form of early access alpha like everything else these days!

For the time being, I'll have to get Dolphin up and running and try out emulation for one of the wii versions. I haven't had any luck getting it working with an actual wii-mote in the past though, so hopefully they are xbox controller playable.

Anything that has compatability with the Classic Controller for the Wii works very well with an Xbox controller.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fat Samurai posted:

If any of you have any interest in tactics with RPGs elements, beautiful art, customizable attack loadouts, humming, interesting battle mechanics, sci-fi settings, awesome music, intriguing story, great voice acting, beach balls and/or chopping robots up with swords, go play Transistor ASAP.

I'd like to offer a counter-opinion that Transistor, while being most of those things, isn't really fun to play. It's kinda 'click button to make fight happen'. The combat is simple "walk behind enemy, hit them with four abilities at once to instagib them, repeat". For really tough fights, you might not instagib them on the first attack. :geno:

I dunno, I heard the high praise from all sources, and I loved Bastion, but Transistor just doesn't do it for me. Maybe it gets better after the first hour? Hopefully a game would have grabbed me by then.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah transistor is getting pretty slim critical acclaim for it's actual gameplay.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The thing that really gets me about Transistor is that after every fight, it pauses and displays a sort of scoreboard, with no score on it. Every one of them is "You killed all enemies." No bonus for time or damage taken, so there's no reason to try to finesse fights, just hammer them down. Since there's no bonuses, why pause for a scoreboard after each fight? It just interrupts everything.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I haven't played any of the Assassin's Creed games but Black Flag looks like fun to me. Is it worth $40 on Steam or should I wait for a further price drop or get a cheap used copy for my PS3?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spasticColon posted:

I haven't played any of the Assassin's Creed games but Black Flag looks like fun to me. Is it worth $40 on Steam or should I wait for a further price drop or get a cheap used copy for my PS3?

It's a lot of fun, and by far the best Assassin's Creed game, I'm a huge boat sperg and I enjoyed the naval combat. It's not worth $40 though, you really shouldn't pay more then $20.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

I'd like to offer a counter-opinion that Transistor, while being most of those things, isn't really fun to play. It's kinda 'click button to make fight happen'. The combat is simple "walk behind enemy, hit them with four abilities at once to instagib them, repeat". For really tough fights, you might not instagib them on the first attack. :geno:

I dunno, I heard the high praise from all sources, and I loved Bastion, but Transistor just doesn't do it for me. Maybe it gets better after the first hour? Hopefully a game would have grabbed me by then.

The combat starts out pretty simplistic, but it keeps on adding layers of complexity with new powers, limiters and such. Each single power can be slotted as a main attack, a modifier for a primary attack or as a passive bonus and the game encourages you to shake things up because you get information on characters by using powers in different ways. And as soon as you plop in some limiters combat can become quite difficult, so each encounter becomes more of a puzzle where you try to end your turn in good cover until you recover.

I'm a sucker for scifi and setting, so maybe I'm willing to ignore some gameplay issues when a game is oozing with style.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

spasticColon posted:

I'm really enjoying it both as an ac game and as a pirate simulator, but not to te tune of 40. A used copy will be much cheaper and it doesn't require an online pass for multiplayer or anything like that. I'm sure a steam sale wil cut the price soon as well.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

spasticColon posted:

It's really good, and I'm totally fine with having paid launch price. It's easily worth the price for the amount of entertainment it provided, but why not go for the cheaper option and save the money anyway?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nuclear War posted:

I played it after that post - here is my crappy review:

I was hoping it would be sort of like an idle game... do some stuff, wander off, check in a few times a day to check progress and do a few more actions before leaving it to idle again. I played the 5th episode (the most recent one) so maybe I made the wrong choice, but it ended up being too much micromanagement and not enough idle.

The villagers are supposed to learn from the tasks you give them, and then start doing those tasks when you're not sitting there forcing them to do it. It takes awhile for them to actually stop loving off and doing their own thing, so you have to sit there and keep dropping them on the task repeatedly for a bit. There are tech advancements that speed it up later in the game though.

The gameplay focused on solving "puzzles" which were really just progression milestones. In episode 5 there are hostile residents on your island so you have to convert them to your village, or figure out how to move them away from your objectives so your villagers can complete their tasks. In many cases the best way to move them away so they wouldn't chase my worker was to drop one of the children near by so the hostile would chase it off, leaving the objective open for my dudes to run in and get some work done. I'd have to sit there and keep dropping the kid over and over to keep the bad guy away, or he'd come back and chase away everyone... so I couldn't just leave them to do it without my direction. It was a little tedious.

There are also collectables that appear randomly around the island, but you can only collect them with a child, so you have to hunt around the island to catch one of the kids and then drag it over to drop on the item before it disappears. Then you have to ensure the kid has a clear shot to the middle of the map or one of the hostile guys will scare it and the item will be dropped and vanish.

It wasn't bad... it was almost exactly what I wanted, but it was just a bit too fiddly for me to bother with. It landed right in that nebulous "meh" area where it was too much micromanagement to be a good idle game, and too much idle to be a good management game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Tagra posted:

I played it after that post - here is my crappy review:

I was hoping it would be sort of like an idle game... do some stuff, wander off, check in a few times a day to check progress and do a few more actions before leaving it to idle again. I played the 5th episode (the most recent one) so maybe I made the wrong choice, but it ended up being too much micromanagement and not enough idle.

The villagers are supposed to learn from the tasks you give them, and then start doing those tasks when you're not sitting there forcing them to do it. It takes awhile for them to actually stop loving off and doing their own thing, so you have to sit there and keep dropping them on the task repeatedly for a bit. There are tech advancements that speed it up later in the game though.

The gameplay focused on solving "puzzles" which were really just progression milestones. In episode 5 there are hostile residents on your island so you have to convert them to your village, or figure out how to move them away from your objectives so your villagers can complete their tasks. In many cases the best way to move them away so they wouldn't chase my worker was to drop one of the children near by so the hostile would chase it off, leaving the objective open for my dudes to run in and get some work done. I'd have to sit there and keep dropping the kid over and over to keep the bad guy away, or he'd come back and chase away everyone... so I couldn't just leave them to do it without my direction. It was a little tedious.

There are also collectables that appear randomly around the island, but you can only collect them with a child, so you have to hunt around the island to catch one of the kids and then drag it over to drop on the item before it disappears. Then you have to ensure the kid has a clear shot to the middle of the map or one of the hostile guys will scare it and the item will be dropped and vanish.

It wasn't bad... it was almost exactly what I wanted, but it was just a bit too fiddly for me to bother with. It landed right in that nebulous "meh" area where it was too much micromanagement to be a good idle game, and too much idle to be a good management game.

With the VV series (first three at least, haven't played the newer ones), there's almost always something that you can do, but rarely something that you must do. The game will let you micromanage, and will even reward you for micromanaging, but it will run fine without it. If you don't watch it, the collectibles will go unclaimed, and the villagers will spend more time goofing off, but they will spend some time doing productive stuff.