Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I keep my starter on the counter in a thick ceramic crock I picked up at Goodwill, and feed it once a day. The lid of the starter has some holes bored in it, so the starter can breathe. I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but I think it means my house is riddled with wild yeast, which can't be terrible, right?

Sometimes I forget a day and it's not a big deal even remotely. I like to feed it in the morning but it doesn't seem to care at all. If I was going to be leaving for a week or longer, I'd stick it in the fridge, or leave it with a friend who can commit to throwing half of it out and feeding the other half with some flour and water, once a week.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riht
Dec 13, 2004

i knew u were trouble when u tossed int
I haven't baked much bread, but I tried out The Doctor's recipe from page 2 of the thread and it was awesome.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
I'm going to visit a friend in Paris in two weeks, in the interest of Reinhart-inspired bread-nerdery I'm going to try to get my hands on a pain Poilâne and maybe a bunh of other must-try breads. Any suggestions? :dance:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

PiratePing posted:

I'm going to visit a friend in Paris in two weeks, in the interest of Reinhart-inspired bread-nerdery I'm going to try to get my hands on a pain Poilâne and maybe a bunh of other must-try breads. Any suggestions? :dance:

From this link the boulangerie Du Pains et Des Idees comes highly recommended.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Baked some loaves with my first poolish today, and will be doing so from now on. Unghhh.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

From this link the boulangerie Du Pains et Des Idees comes highly recommended.

I'll ask my friend if he wants to go! He said that Poilâne is a fraud and that you can buy his miches in any supermarket so he'll take me to some real bakeries instead. He's a typical theatrical Parisian who takes great delight in emphatically declaring things to be humbug ("It is blasphemy to sell those miches in the supermarket!" :france:) though. We'll see. :3:

PiratePing fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 28, 2014

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

I tried a rosemary-olive-lemon zest bread.

To be honest, I can't really taste the lemon, but the olive and rosemary are shining through nicely.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You can't taste the lemon because that lemon still has all its zest on it.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So since I plan to get started in making my own bread in the next few weeks as I am getting started on making my own cheese, bacon/jerky, smoked meats, garden fresh veggies so I kinda figured. WTF not go all crazy hippie like(joking) and my own bread too.
The issue that I'm running into is whether or not I want to use a bread machine or not.

I was looking at this this book on making bread with no machine. I am also looking at the book which seems to be a more traditional, aka not done quickly, method of making bread
Or.
Or I could just buy a bread maker dump crap into it, press a button and have bread at some point.

Can anyone comment on either of the books or am I better off going the breadmaker route starting out?

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

If you can afford one (and have spare kitchen space to store it) then a bread maker can be really handy.

Even if you get a machine you can still do handmade. I use mine whenever I want standard sized sandwich bread with no fuss, set overnight to be ready for breakfast. Other times when I want something more artisan or just feel like kneading then I'll make bread by hand.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

They were okay for making big cubes of so-so bread.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

They were okay for making big cubes of so-so bread.

The bread machines I assume you mean?

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I used a breadmaker when I was in high school, and I've started making bread by hand in the past year, and even the worst results I've gotten by hand have beaten the poo poo out of my breadmaker days. Definitely not worth it. Figure out how to make bread properly first.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Tiny Chalupa posted:

The bread machines I assume you mean?

They are convienent and better than say a loaf of grocery store brand bread, but real bread isn't THAT hard to make (a lot of hurry up and wait) plus you're never going to slice into some breadmaker bread and think OMG THIS IS WHAT GRANDMA MADE ON THE FARM or ITS LIKE WERE IN ITALY AGAIN

But for average people who aren't bread snobs it could be fun and the recipe book has poo poo like different kinds of breads in it.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I had the Zojirushi bread machine about a decade ago, and it was much nicer than our old family machine because it makes horizontal loaves, and not weird Conehead ones. I recently started baking again and now I just lazymode it with the KitchenAid bread hook and a pullman pan. This thing works hella well if you want uniform, sandwich-friendly loaves with thin crust.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
No to bread machine. I got into baking bread because I was so unsatisfied with bread machine bread. No-knead takes about 10 minutes total and is a million times better.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

therattle posted:

No to bread machine. I got into baking bread because I was so unsatisfied with bread machine bread. No-knead takes about 10 minutes total and is a million times better.

Alright thanks for more replies. I'll pick up both books and start making bread by hand and see how it all comes out. i'll post again at some point with updates

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Alright thanks for more replies. I'll pick up both books and start making bread by hand and see how it all comes out. i'll post again at some point with updates

I am the laziest fucker here and even I can make loaves without a bread machine. If you have a stand mixer with a bread hook, then you don't even have to knead. I also use my food scale to measure out the flour/water; aside from being more accurate, I don't feel like having to clean measuring cups. I basically just toss together some flour, water, sugar, salt, quick yeast, and balsamic vinegar, put it in the KitchenAid, let the bread hook work while I play Dark Souls for 10 minutes, dump it into my pullman pan, play DCS World for an hour or so while it rises to the top of the pan, then put the lid on and plop it in the oven (I always forget to knock it back. Oops). Remove the lid after 30 minutes, let it bake another 10 to get a bit more crust color on top, and yay now I can make sandwiches.

I am probably doing like 5 things wrong, but the loaves are still much tastier than the cheap stuff at WinCo. It's really hard to screw up a simple loaf to the point that you make something inedible, even if you are taking every reasonable shortcut you can think of. You'll be fine.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I have these uncoated steel bread pans, and after one of my family soaked it in water (!) when I wipe it with a paper towel it will leave all these gray smudges. Is it rust? Should I treat it like cast iron and smear some coconut oil on it and bake in the oven for a bit?? Or is it just PAM residues?

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
I have a question about the King Arthur no knead loaf recipe. I live alone so I doubt I will be eating enough bread to use the entire batch before it goea bad... Can I make a smaller batch by simply halving everything, or is it more complicated than that?

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
I have a pullman loaf pan too and love it for the uniform loaf. I love a good rustic bread but that stuff stales so quickly, so my go-to for keeping around the house is a good soft white bread that we can eat over the course of a week.

optionally start with 200 g sourdough starter
125 g milk (or 225 g if no sourdough starter)
30-40 g butter
80 g egg (or just 2 eggs and add more flour if needed)
450 g flour (or 550 g if no sourdough starter)
40-60 g sugar
1 Tb salt
3 3/4 tsp yeast (less or none depending on the strength of your sourdough starter)

Rise, degas, shape into a 13x4x4 pullman pan.

Once the dough has risen almost to the lip, bake at 350 F 30-40 minutes or until internal temp is 190 F. Take the lid off the pullman pan in the last 10 minutes or so.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Archer2338 posted:

Can I make a smaller batch by simply halving everything, or is it more complicated than that?

Sure can. Or you can cut it in half and freeze it as soon as it cools down. Pop it in the oven and you will have a nearly fresh half loaf of bread with none of the extra work

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

mich posted:

I have a pullman loaf pan too and love it for the uniform loaf. I love a good rustic bread but that stuff stales so quickly, so my go-to for keeping around the house is a good soft white bread that we can eat over the course of a week.

Sourdough breads tend to last longer than commercial yeast loaves in my experience (stored cut side down on my cutting board). I usually get 4-5 days out of the natural levain loaves I've been making (could maybe go longer, but I always eat them by the fifth day at the latest).

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Happiness Commando posted:

Sure can. Or you can cut it in half and freeze it as soon as it cools down. Pop it in the oven and you will have a nearly fresh half loaf of bread with none of the extra work

My favorite method is to make bread and then spend an hour doing deadlifts, which ensures that you will not waste a single slice.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So I used the King Arthur no knead recipe from the intro and this is what I got.
I tossed everything in a giant glass bowl, apparently I need to get an actual mixing bowl large enough
This part was stupidly easy. Tossed in the ingredients, stirred it together and left it alone. Took 5 minutes to mix and let stand for a while.

Tossed it on my counter with a touch of flour. Made a ball tossed it in a oven......

Delicious as sin. Cooked for 30 minutes and it was incredibly taste
Oh I did use way to much flour on the top of the loaf but still drat good. Everyone who tried it really enjoyed it.

Extremely pleased with how all of this turned out. Easy as sin. Need to get a pan to make actual loafs and not just the little balls. Used 14oz of the dough I do believe and will use more next time for larger loaves.

edit: So a question on the pullman pans, can I use the no-knead recipes for those pans? I'm use to baking at 450 and these aren't suppose to go above 400, so I assume this just effects my baking time.

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 5, 2014

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So another question, I'm making this recipe again:
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/no-knead-crusty-white-bread-recipe

Yet this time it has risen like crazy to the point that while sealed it was bulging like a bubble against the plastic wrap while sitting out for a few hours. I've put it into my fridge, still sealed with the plastic wrap, and it is not going back down at all. Not sure what I possibly messed up as I did the exact thing as I did last time.

Only thing that I can think is that it was WAY warmer today than last time I made it but its not like we're talking about 100 some degree's in my house or something. Should I not seal it while in the fridge?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Tiny Chalupa posted:

So another question, I'm making this recipe again:
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/no-knead-crusty-white-bread-recipe

Yet this time it has risen like crazy to the point that while sealed it was bulging like a bubble against the plastic wrap while sitting out for a few hours. I've put it into my fridge, still sealed with the plastic wrap, and it is not going back down at all. Not sure what I possibly messed up as I did the exact thing as I did last time.

Only thing that I can think is that it was WAY warmer today than last time I made it but its not like we're talking about 100 some degree's in my house or something. Should I not seal it while in the fridge?

It's very sensitive to temperature. I don't completely seal but I try to ensure that the dough surface is fully covered while still allowing slack for movement. You didn't do anything wrong. Give it a extra hour or two after shaping to come up to room temp after the fridge

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
I don't know that this is true for every variety of yeast, but Reinhart has this in the BBA: "Yeast will double its rate of fermentation for every 17F increase in heat, up to the killing point (about 140F). In most cases, slower is better. Bread that might rise in 1 hour in a commercial proof box at 90F will take 2 hours if the room temperature is 73F." The reverse is true for colder temps, and is why many recipes do a cold retarding in the fridge overnight (or longer).

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

therattle posted:

It's very sensitive to temperature. I don't completely seal but I try to ensure that the dough surface is fully covered while still allowing slack for movement. You didn't do anything wrong. Give it a extra hour or two after shaping to come up to room temp after the fridge

Thanks this worked wonderfully. The bread actually turned out softer on the inside than the last time I baked it. Interesting.

Picking up 4 different books on baking artisan bread(2 books) and no knead(2 other books) very excited to dive into more recipes

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So while reading through the book My Bread: The Revolutionary No-Work, No-Knead Method by Jim Lahey I noticed that his recipes call for letting your dough sit out for 12 to 18 hours before refrigerating/using....this strikes me as excessive when most no knead recipes I see call for a few hours. Than overnight in the fridge. Is there a real reason behind letting it sit for so long?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Tiny Chalupa posted:

So while reading through the book My Bread: The Revolutionary No-Work, No-Knead Method by Jim Lahey I noticed that his recipes call for letting your dough sit out for 12 to 18 hours before refrigerating/using....this strikes me as excessive when most no knead recipes I see call for a few hours. Than overnight in the fridge. Is there a real reason behind letting it sit for so long?

I've not seen a no-knead that calls for less than about 12. One needs time for the enzymes to do their work in straightening out the gluten. I don't refrigerate after that first rise unless I don't have time to bake.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

A related question: How long can you refrigerate dough without spoiling it? Is there a difference between no-knead and normal dough?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

LoonShia posted:

A related question: How long can you refrigerate dough without spoiling it?

A lot of no-knead recipes say you can keep the dough in the fridge for a week, cutting a chunk off each day to make a loaf.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

therattle posted:

I've not seen a no-knead that calls for less than about 12. One needs time for the enzymes to do their work in straightening out the gluten. I don't refrigerate after that first rise unless I don't have time to bake.

Ah very interesting thank you. The recipe for the No knead King Arthur that I was following had it sitting our at room temp for 2 hours than covering and tossing it in the fridge, preferably overnight.
I'll give it the longer room temp, 12+ hours, rise at room temp a try!!
It always weirds me out when I cover my dough with plastic wrap on tap and balloons up. It creates a little half dome out my plastic wrap that is is somewhat firm. I assume thats the heat from the yeast doing its thing.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Ah very interesting thank you. The recipe for the No knead King Arthur that I was following had it sitting our at room temp for 2 hours than covering and tossing it in the fridge, preferably overnight.
It always weirds me out when I cover my dough with plastic wrap on tap and balloons up. It creates a little half dome out my plastic wrap that is is somewhat firm. I assume thats the heat from the yeast doing its thing.

That's from the carbon dioxide that is produced from the yeast doing its thing.

Even though it should usually take over 12 hours, the amount of yeast, room temperature, etc. will change the exact rise time. Wait until the dough has doubled in size. However long that took, that's the most optimal amount of time.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Tiny Chalupa posted:

If you put it in the fridge overnight then you are still getting a long ferment, but it'll be slow due to low temp. If the temp is too high it might not have enough time to develop even though it's doubled; that would be good to refrigerate.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Thank you both for the replies, I plan to start keeping my bread thats setting in my garage as it keeps a lower temp overall throughout the day.
I also picked up Bob's Red mill flour for bread making and King Arthur unbleached flour to compare against my generic flour from Winco. Trying to see if there is a difference I can notice between the 3 different brands

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Does anyone happen to have a good recipe for Jewish deli style sourdough rye? Thanks!

doublefluffed
Oct 23, 2013
So I have recently tried my hand at baking for the first time. I previously worked at a deli where the dough was pre-made and I simply just baked it.
I figured that I might as well try it out.

The first two Italian loaves

Followed up by my first dozen kaiser rolls

They tasted great and I think I did well at least. (sorry for the poor quality images)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Does anyone else make Boston brown bread? My grandmother made it for as long as I can remember, and now my mom makes it on the holidays since she passed away 20 years ago. I'll have to continue the tradition at some point.

The recipe is on a card at my mom's, but it's basically flour and molasses and dates. But I know you can do nuts and raisins and whatever else, so I was wondering what other people used. And does anyone NOT do it in a can? We have my grandma's old cans that have probably been used for 40 years to make this bread.