Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Psygnosis posted:

I'm having trouble finding other plays to hack too :( The game claims the average wait time is 2 minutes but, I've been waiting far longer than that. It usually ends up timing out for me.

Uplay servers have been struggling for the past hours. Probably gonna pick up later/tomorrow. I got loads of hits before the servers croaked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Having a really weird glitch on PC, using the 360 controller. Every time I enter or exit a car, or a cut-scene is triggered, the Smartphone comes up. It's a minor bug, but it's loving annoying.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Psygnosis posted:

I'm having trouble finding other plays to hack too :( The game claims the average wait time is 2 minutes but, I've been waiting far longer than that. It usually ends up timing out for me.

I managed to get one, but after that it either failed to find someone or failed to connect. Hopefully it'll be better by the end of the week, as the one I did get to do was tense as gently caress, and awesome (I made a daring boat getaway too :black101:)

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Zaphod42 posted:

For those who were wondering how the final product compares to E3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDQem9-ghc4

That said, PC looks a bit better than PS4, so its not really so different. Somebody was saying they didn't see any debris, but I definitely did when there was wind, so they may not be on max settings.

I hate the light coronas on vehicles, makes more sense in a 2002 game using the halt-life 1 engine, these coronas clip with the ground and is ugly and unrealistic.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Having a lot more fun with this on day 2. Maybe the BS install/wait made me cranky last night. Somehow it even looks better? Why does the cut scene with your sister look like crap compared to all the other ones?

Getting major eye strain from night driving/bad driving camera angles though. My 46" tv never felt so small.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
If Aiden is walking through rain with his phone out he will occasionally wipe the raindrops off his phone screen. That's a nice touch.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone found any "potential crimes" to go all vigilante on that end up not having an actual crime take place? I've not (though I only got a few hours in before having to get some shut-eye before work), but every single "potential criminal" or "potential victim" invariably ended up getting into trouble.

It'd be (more) interesting if some of these situations defused themselves, or if you being spotted caused a change in the behavior of the persons involved.

Though if not all the "potential" crimes ended up warranting intervention, I can just imaging the :qq:ing over "wasted time" or whatever.

E:

^^^

quote:

If it's raining..
..then the phone should just die.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Sef! posted:

So far I've been enjoying the game. There's some wonkiness to it, but for the most part I don't feel like I wasted my money. Quick question for PS4 users: anybody able to get the Season Pass Day 1 content yet? I picked up the gold edition on PSN (game + season pass), and though it says that the season pass is installed, none of the weapons or costumes are available for me save for the PSN preorder stuff (white hat hacker, three-burst pistol). I'm not seeing the Untouchables Pack, or Blume outfit, or anything.

I'm having the same issues. And the white hat outfit, besides being hideous, caused Aiden's sister's hand to vanish into his arm when she touched him during a cut scene.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

Zaphod42 posted:

For those who were wondering how the final product compares to E3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDQem9-ghc4

That said, PC looks a bit better than PS4, so its not really so different. Somebody was saying they didn't see any debris, but I definitely did when there was wind, so they may not be on max settings.

Haha this is so funny because it honestly looks like the E3 video would be "xbox one" compared to the current release being "xbox 360". But nope! Man this game sure is next gen! :allears:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

DopeGhoti posted:

..then the phone should just die.

In the future, everyone has a Sony Xperia Z (TM).

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Just a heads up, the new AMD beta drivers improved my performance immensely.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Anhone seen hacking scene where you see the Fedora Appreciation Chairman?

Only thing I'm not really enjoying is the convoy missions where you have to disable and not kill the targets. It is such a pain as it's very easy to kill them and often they have so many allies the second you get out the car to takedown 8 other guys get out too.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Is anyone else still getting "Ubisoft service is not available" whenever they try to do any of the multiplayer stuff on PC?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

SplitSoul posted:

Just a heads up, the new AMD beta drivers improved my performance immensely.

Yeah, I didn't realise they were already out when I did all my initial fiddling on my HD7950. The beta drivers themselves seemed to sort out the major stuttering, and switching down to High textures (even though I have 3GB on the card) made everything pretty much silky smooth on Ultra detail.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I can't get enough of the loving vehicle explosions in this game. There's a lot about this game that I don't particularly care for, but man, when vehicles explode, it looks downright spectacular. On Ultra settings, at least.

I want all games in the future to have explosions that look this good.

Also, going through the courtyard of a project block and hacking the thug guards' phones to distract them is loving hilarious. "Who the gently caress bought this jank poo poo?"

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 28, 2014

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
7pm EST and still locked for me in Origin.

Tracula posted:

Have you tried talking to customer support yet?
Yeah. Apparently they know about it and are "working on it". There are a ton of people with the same problem postin' over at the Origin forums.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Kleen_TheRacistDog fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 28, 2014

Overdoze
Jan 6, 2008

Revolution of evolution
Finally got to play this after work and my initial feelings are somewhat mixed. I think I have a pretty good rig (GTX 780, i7-4770K)but I'm getting weird frame jumps really often. Turning vsync to 1 helped, buffered frames are on 2 at the moment. Settings autodetect to ultra, but I have turned most of them down a bit. Mouse input sucks poo poo. I'd love dynamic shadows, but the might mess up the performance evn more. Hopefully some things will be fixed at some point.

Driving feels surprisingly ok to me, I'd say it's better than GTA IV (haven't played V, wating for PC port). Strange mix of realistic and arcade-y, turning at high speeds takes some getting used to, but seems to be manageable. Most vehicles I tried tend to launch themselves into a turn really hard when starting from standstill which is strange. After a couple of police chases I have gotten quite used to the whole driving experience.

The "radio" is terrible. Haven't heard a single decent tune yet.

The story hasn't managed to grab me yet. I like the amount of detail in the gameworld though. Lots of conversations, small touches. poo poo flying around in the wind is cool. Despite the graphical downgrade, it looks pretty nice on the whole. Rain in the nighttime is amazing. One step closer to open world Blade Runner.

Hopefully I'll be able to fix the performance strangeness somehow, I feel like this is a game that will grow on me over time instead of being amazing right out of the gate. At least I don't regret my purchase yet.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

7pm EST and still locked for me in Origin.

Have you tried talking to customer support yet?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I can't get enough of the loving vehicle explosions in this game. There's a lot about this game that I don't particularly care for, but man, when vehicles explode, it looks downright spectacular. On Ultra settings, at least.

I want all games in the future to have explosions that look this good.

Also, going through the courtyard of a project block and hacking the thug guards' phones to distract them is loving hilarious. "Who the gently caress bought this jank poo poo?"

Yea the last traffic jam I caused to get away from the cops resulted in like five cars blowing up while I skidded to a stop to bask in the glory. It was pretty great.

But yea that just leads to me agreeing with people saying that moreso than most games this has a really weird split in tone where one minute I'm all 'I GOTTA AVENGE MY NIECE VIOLENCE IS HORRIBLE IN THIS CITY" and the next I'm causing a ten car pileup because the cops pretty justifiably want to chase me down after I shot up a bunch of guys. At least in GTA/Saints Row games there's an aspect of 'yea but you're a criminal' but when I'm supposed to be the morally gray hero and I'm blowing up a car that I literally can check belongs to a dude who's defining trait is 'Soup kitchen volunteer' I don't know how I'm not the douchebag in that conflict.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Tatum Girlparts posted:

But yea that just leads to me agreeing with people saying that moreso than most games this has a really weird split in tone where one minute I'm all 'I GOTTA AVENGE MY NIECE VIOLENCE IS HORRIBLE IN THIS CITY" and the next I'm causing a ten car pileup because the cops pretty justifiably want to chase me down after I shot up a bunch of guys. At least in GTA/Saints Row games there's an aspect of 'yea but you're a criminal' but when I'm supposed to be the morally gray hero and I'm blowing up a car that I literally can check belongs to a dude who's defining trait is 'Soup kitchen volunteer' I don't know how I'm not the douchebag in that conflict.

That split is present in most action movies as well, so personally I can live with it very well. I just imagine that they all survive like bystanders in movies. :) (Except Fixers. Fixers get headshots.)

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

DopeGhoti posted:

Has anyone found any "potential crimes" to go all vigilante on that end up not having an actual crime take place? I've not (though I only got a few hours in before having to get some shut-eye before work), but every single "potential criminal" or "potential victim" invariably ended up getting into trouble.

It'd be (more) interesting if some of these situations defused themselves, or if you being spotted caused a change in the behavior of the persons involved.

Though if not all the "potential" crimes ended up warranting intervention, I can just imaging the :qq:ing over "wasted time" or whatever.
I haven't seen any situations defuse themselves, but I can say from experience (because I suck at video games) that getting spotted can cause the potential perp to change his mind and walk away, ending the situation.

And despite the numerous issues, there's really nothing like jumping from camera to camera and landing in a camera that a guard is carrying around, only to see the camera stop moving and slowly realize that the figure off in the distance isn't another guard, it's you. And the guard you're riding just spotted you and called for backup.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Definitely turn Pre rendered frames to 1, and consider turning Vsync down to 1 frame. Doing this let me max out the game at 1080p besides textures (high) on a 7870 and i5 3570k. I still get some stuttering while driving, but that seems like a loading issue, not graphical setting issue.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Zaphod42 posted:

I guess you don't play that many PC games; almost all PC games released in the last year or two have borderless fullscreen as an option to get around how Windows badly handles fullscreen context switching. FPS games have had it for like 4 years, but they're always on the cutting edge. It shows up in even RTS games now though.

If you have retarded amounts of RAM (many gamers do, thinking that 16-32GB will "make my games better" ; nope) then fullscreen will work fine, but if you have reasonable amounts of ram like 4-8GB, your computer is capable of playing games flawlessly but windows won't handle it very well unless you go borderless. Although this mostly only matters for context switching, when you need to alt-tab back to your desktop. I guess if you play games fullscreen and do nothing else until you're done gaming, like a console, then fullscreen does indeed work. If you have an SSD and proper caching then it isn't necessary as much either.

I'm struggling to think of a major release from the last year that didn't include it as an option, so you're way off base.

It's possible I just haven't noticed it but aside from FPSes which I'm not a huge fan of, I've played most modern AAA titles/etc and I play primarily on PC. I guess I have 16 GB of RAM (I run VMs on this machine sometimes) so maybe I've just avoided it, but my first point was that this was the first time I've ever heard of it. Literally this thread, today, first time I've ever heard of borderless windowed mode being a benefit.

Edit: to be clearer, I mean that I've never heard of it making the game run more efficiently, just obviously that alt-tabbing is awful depending on the game, but I always chalked that up to individual game programming or directX rather than an underlying windows problem.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 28, 2014

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

I don't think having more than 8 gigs of ram is 'retarded amounts' considering a) how cheap ram is and b) how much people multitask these days but shine on you crazy diamond.

PS: seriously listening to this guy is a pretty bad idea.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Maybe I've just been spoiled by GTA5 and Saints 4, but this game is hard as gently caress. I feel like I should maybe follow the campaign a bit before I do side missions, because im getting my rear end kicked during stuff like convoys and police escapes. Pretty fun though, no performance issues yet on my 780.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This game's story missions really took the low road when it came to writing. It's not bad, but it doesn't take any risks.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Speedball posted:

This game's story missions really took the low road when it came to writing. It's not bad, but it doesn't take any risks.

I'm sort of feeling this about the game in general. It really feels like it wants to say something about the CIA and 24/7 surveillance with big brother always watching but it really doesn't seem to be there as a whole lot more than a gameplay mechanic.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I have some questions about the graphics settings. I followed the suggestions on NVidia's page and it looks great, however I always want to turn on VSync (it's a weird thing like OCD or something I dunno) but I don't know what the settings mean in this game. I'm not used to having multiple options for VSync since it's usually On/Off and sometimes Triple Buffered. What setting for Vsync is good when I'm sitting at around 50fps consistently?

Also, has anyone on PC messed around with the xml file in the "...\My Games\Watch_Dogs" folder? I'm changing some of the settings around (including changing console to pc :v:) and I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing or changing. I did notice that changing "RenderRain" from 0 to 1 made the rain way thicker and better looking, or maybe I'm just seeing things. Either way, I'm curious as to what, if anything, is locked away in this file that you can't change from the menus in game.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

JayJay posted:

Maybe I've just been spoiled by GTA5 and Saints 4, but this game is hard as gently caress. I feel like I should maybe follow the campaign a bit before I do side missions, because im getting my rear end kicked during stuff like convoys and police escapes. Pretty fun though, no performance issues yet on my 780.

Yeah same here with the convoys, police escapes are simple when you unlock some more hacking skills, but those convoys goddamn.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Man if you want to laugh, just hang out near a traffic light and change it when things get busy. There's like a 50% chance you'll start a hilarious chain reaction explosion, complete with flying bodies and people getting decked by fleeing box trucks.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I'm experiencing two oddities, one minor graphical and one kinda serious gameplay.

The first is graphical, every now and then a wall texture will appear somewhere. Sometime it's down the street a bit, sometimes it's right in front of me. It blocks my vision but otherwise doesn't seem to exist in the game world at all. If I move it usually disappears. Running on High settings with water reflections set to Ultra. Anyone else? Any ideas?

The second is that my ctos centers have no guards. I can hack the gates and walk right in like it's nothing. I can stroll right up to the server room. But since there are no guards, there is no code, and I can't take control of the district's ctos.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.
Alright so I'm having a bit of a weird issue. I should preface this by saying that my PC isn't great, but it does more than meet the MINIMUM requirements for the game (and therefore I'm running on all low) (and yes, I'm on AMD, and haven't tried the new drivers yet which I most likely will in a moment, but just in case I thought I'd ask.)

Last night I was getting frequent crashes, I set it to Borderless, and the crashes slowed, but the issue is HOW it's crashing. It's actually killing the display to both of my monitors, as in, the PC will be on, the monitors will be on, but both monitors will display "No Signal". The first crashes would restore both monitors, but the one with the game would be all black and I'd have to force quit. The second set of crashes would kill the monitors, bring them back up, and then Watch Dogs would "program not respond", just now, however, it killed both monitors and after about 2 minutes neither of them came back. And with no conceivable way to kill the program, or restart the monitors (powering on and off did nothing), I had to soft reset the PC.

Is my PC just not up to handling this? A friend suggested it might be some form of overheat, but without a BSOD. Should I definitely try the new drivers? Anything else?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/watch-dogs-how-to-launch-cars/2300-6418975/

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Sooo... how do I get the pre-order bonuses? There was one code for a mission in the box. Do I have to buy them from a shop?

Edit: Nevermind, I'm an idiot.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 28, 2014

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Playing this on the Xbone and i'm enjoying just doing all the random poo poo that comes up. The online modes, at least from the one attempted i tried at them don't really work i tried to do the capture the flag type thing and it sat there on a loading screen while i was able to hear everybody in voice chat. I just want to invade people already :(

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!
Consider this if you will:
- The game is set in the near future
- Aiden Pearce (or whatever it's spelled) is 39 years old

Conclusion: Aiden is a goon (THE goon)

Bobtista posted:

It is. Most cars handle like blocks of ice at anything above average speed.
They handle fine on my PC using a keyboard.

Suspicious Dish posted:

This owns, because it makes all of you look like babies for complaining about it.
Confirmed.[Glorious PC Gaming Master Race]

Spiky Ooze posted:

Is there no cruise control for driving? Saints Row has that and it's one of the best things.
I don't think this would work. You don't seem to get enough "alone time" as you would in a SR game. Especially considering that you can't rampage as you would in a SR game.

cheesetriangles posted:

Mouse + Keyboard is the only way to play this game.
Confirmed. [Glorious PC Gaming Master Race]

WraithMind posted:

The main character isn't nerdy or anything, he's the generic gravely-voiced fit straight twenty something year old white guy that make up 90% of video game protagonists.
Don't kid yourself, he's supposed to be 39 years old. It's either - (Social commentary / UBI trolling everybody)

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

ugh, I can't stand how he's not getting mad about every little thing. STOP HAVING FUN PEOPLE.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Lollerich posted:

Consider this if you will:
- The game is set in the near future
- Aiden Pearce (or whatever it's spelled) is 39 years old

Conclusion: Aiden is a goon (THE goon)

Honestly I think this game has one of the few examples of using memes correctly in a video game. I'm sure that a 39 year old hacker would change a road sign to say "ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US" or something, since it does happen in real life to those construction signs. It's kind of charming in an incredibly dumb sort of way.

Edit: To be honest I'm surprised there's not an ASCII dick on any of those.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I feel like Alone is a weird side proof of concept for The Division. Hey guys, how lovely and desolate-feeling can we make this city without changing any of its actual architecture. Did a pretty good job of it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I kind of with they had upped the sci-fi elements a bit and made the world more Blade Runner-esq. It would have given everything a bit more personality that I think the game could use.

• Locked thread