Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoB
May 1, 2009
In Iron Man, Pepper and Jeff Bridges are at the Stark offices when Pepper learns about the hit on Tony and then Bridges learns that Pepper found out. So Bridges is able to get from the Stark building all the way to Tony's house, steal the arc reactor, then return to the development area to get his suit. All while Pepper is with Coulson travelling to the development area in that same timeframe, yet Bridges beats them there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The plot abides, man.

cyfad
Sep 29, 2009

Welcome to the human race.

KozmoNaut posted:

The plot abides, man.

I love you.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
In X men first class it's revealed that a government agency helped to found the X men. But when Trask is talking with congress none of this is mentioned. It's as though they just discovered mutants. They kind of handwave the Cuba incident as well.

In the first timeline of Days of Future Past, the super Sentinels are wiping out mutants. But that means the events of the first Xmen trilogy happened, as well as First Class. This kind of confuses me:

-With no time traveling Wolverine to help Charles, how does he get his mojo back to re-found the X men?

-How is Stryker so young, when in Wolverine Origins he was at least ten years older? How the hell do you get to be a friggin colonel so young?

-How was Mystique still with Magneto when it turned out they had a falling out back in the seventies?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Panfilo posted:

-How was Mystique still with Magneto when it turned out they had a falling out back in the seventies?

The "falling out" was Magneto being arrested for assassinating the Kennedy. If Magneto didnt come back trying to kill her they probably would have made up.

But nothing really makes sense so its probably just some weird alternate timeline/retcon poo poo because who cares.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

KoB posted:

The "falling out" was Magneto being arrested for assassinating the Kennedy. If Magneto didnt come back trying to kill her they probably would have made up.

But nothing really makes sense so its probably just some weird alternate timeline/retcon poo poo because who cares.

I saw it that when she was captuired and tortured she fully realized Magneto was right and after she escaped rescued him.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

In the new Godzilla:

Why did the female monster have eggs before meeting with the male monster? Also, How did it know that the nuclear bomb would explode, providing the babies with the radiation they needed? Speaking about that, if fire could destroy the babies, one would assume that a freaking nuclear explosion would kill them as well. Why were the military using airplanes if they knew the monsters had EMP shocks? Why did Godzilla even want to kill the monsters so bad? Certainly not to eat them.

Yeah, I know it is supposed to just be a dumb action movie.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Chernabog posted:

In the new Godzilla:

Why did the female monster have eggs before meeting with the male monster? Also, How did it know that the nuclear bomb would explode, providing the babies with the radiation they needed? Speaking about that, if fire could destroy the babies, one would assume that a freaking nuclear explosion would kill them as well. Why were the military using airplanes if they knew the monsters had EMP shocks? Why did Godzilla even want to kill the monsters so bad? Certainly not to eat them.

Regarding Godzilla:

Many organisms, if not the majority produce eggs that only need to be fertilized. That's the extent of the males participation.

The monster didn't know it would explode it merely wanted the radiation from the fissile material.

The army was using airplanes in places the didn't know the monsters were at yet.

And Godzilla killed them simply because he didnt want them around as competition, they was steppin on his turf!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Godzilla I remember the scientist saying that Godzilla "restores the balance" or something to that effect, that he's sent by nature. And he's a scientist so I believe him.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Chernabog posted:

In order:

The eggs were unfertilized. She didn't know what the bomb was or that it could explode, only that it was giving off a large amount of radiation. Godzilla hunts them because they're parasitic to him - remember the dormant muto eggs were found in a Godzilla skeleton

Or maybe he just really wants to gently caress them up.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Chernabog posted:

In the new Godzilla:

The eggs might be fertilized after the fact, like some fish. I think they had fetal forms in them, but maybe it's like a frog, where the fetus can form under some conditions without all the genetic material, but will not fully mature unless the male gametes are present.

I don't think it did know the bomb would explode, only that it was a source of radiation. It might have stuck it there, thinking it would drip-feed radiation to the eggs. The military probably didn't want to take the chance that the explosion might not kill them all, so they removed the food source entirely.

The airplane thing was something I literally facepalmed at in the theatre. There's really no excuse for that.

Godzilla wants to kill them because he's a giant grumpypants whose nap was interrupted by the rear end in a top hat looking for a booty call. Godzilla needs his beauty sleep, don't wake him.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I didn't think of the unfertilized eggs or the dripping radiation, that makes more sense.

oldpainless posted:

Godzilla I remember the scientist saying that Godzilla "restores the balance" or something to that effect, that he's sent by nature. And he's a scientist so I believe him.

That's very unscientific, especially for a scientist.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Chernabog posted:

I didn't think of the unfertilized eggs or the dripping radiation, that makes more sense.

That's very unscientific, especially for a scientist.

Yeah its dumb. They should have just said that he eats them. Big monsters eat radiation, Godzilla eats big monsters.

But then he just beats of the monsters and swims away.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Godzilla

I don't understand how they were supposed to be parasitic to Godzilla and how Godzilla also eats them. That's a strange relationship. I was thinking maybe they lay eggs IN Godzilla but then we see that clearly that isn't it.

What the gently caress were those giant eggs doing in the giant skeleton then? And why were they ten billion times bigger than the other eggs?

I feel like if you do sci fi you're better off not trying to explain poo poo because then you just confuse people. I mean, hell, if the scientists and military dudes had been all "We have no loving clue what's going on. We think he's hunting them" I would have just nodded along. Trying to define everything kind of hosed it up.

Tyrannosaurus has a new favorite as of 20:07 on May 27, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Panfilo posted:

In X men first class it's revealed that a government agency helped to found the X men. But when Trask is talking with congress none of this is mentioned. It's as though they just discovered mutants. They kind of handwave the Cuba incident as well.

In the first timeline of Days of Future Past, the super Sentinels are wiping out mutants. But that means the events of the first Xmen trilogy happened, as well as First Class. This kind of confuses me:

-With no time traveling Wolverine to help Charles, how does he get his mojo back to re-found the X men?

-How is Stryker so young, when in Wolverine Origins he was at least ten years older? How the hell do you get to be a friggin colonel so young?

At the end of FC Xavier mind wiped at least Rose Byrne's character and who knows who else. For a lot of the other stuff I think you can assume that it happened much later, like Xavier refounding the school and Magneto breaking out of prison and teaming back up with Mystique.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Godzilla

I don't understand how they were supposed to be parasitic to Godzilla and how Godzilla also eats them. That's a strange relationship. I was thinking maybe they lay eggs IN Godzilla but then we see that clearly that isn't it.

What the gently caress were those giant eggs doing in the giant skeleton then? And why were they ten billion times bigger than the other eggs?

I feel like if you do sci fi you're better off not trying to explain poo poo because then you just confuse people. I mean, hell, if the scientists and military dudes had been all "We have no loving clue what's going on. We think he's hunting them" I would have just nodded along. Trying to define everything kind of hosed it up.

They said it was a super ancient godzilla, so I assume it either died or was killed by the MUTO and then had eggs laid in/around the corpse. Godzilla has crazy radiation breath so it wouldnt surprise me if they used it as a source of food but generally avoid them because Godzilla are tough as hell.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

KoB posted:

They said it was a super ancient godzilla, so I assume it either died or was killed by the MUTO and then had eggs laid in/around the corpse. Godzilla has crazy radiation breath so it wouldnt surprise me if they used it as a source of food but generally avoid them because Godzilla are tough as hell.

Don't forget that Godzilla was getting his poo poo wrecked by just a pair of MUTO, even if he utterly destroys them in one-on-one combat. Presumably they would've hunted down monsters like Godzila in packs for food sources, either killing them or just KOing them to lay their eggs inside.

Now, if Anguirus was there to tag-team with Godzilla, those MUTO would've been so hosed.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Godzilla explanation:

Godzillas are apex predators like the guy said. But in their heyday, everything lived off radiation. However, when it was abundant, it was part of the food chain. So Godzillas were eating other giant radioactive creatures. Since they had the biggest concentration of radiation, the Mutos would parasitize them.

In the present day, the nukes may have been an easier food source than Godzilla. Godzilla would instinctively try to kill them to prevent them from over breeding (why he didnt eat them, it could have been he "filled up on bread" from getting nuked all those years, and was just pissed off some rival creatures were in his territory.

It could have also been, "dumb humans you leave radioactive stuff it attracts 300' tall roaches sheesh"

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
X-Men Days of Future Past

Okay, so Kitty Pryde-- the girl who can phase through walls-- suddenly has this ability to project someone's mind back in time. No explanation for where this power came from is ever given. With their adding more mutants to those scenes-- Sunspot, Blink, Warpath, Bishop-- it wouldn't have really been that hard to introduce a new mutant with that ability.

Second, when Magneto is examining the microfilm that he stole from Trask's briefcase, he's using a flashlight and a glass jar as a makeshift projector, using his powers to hold up the film and the flashlight and the jar. A glass jar.

I suppose it could have been leaded glass, but is the average moviegoer going to know that leaded glass exists? Just have him hold the glass up with his hand, or put a metal ring on the jar or something.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Obviously, Godzilla likes us for making tasty radioactive snacks for him, and if the Mutos EMP us back to the stone age, then we can't make any more.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Okay, so Kitty Pryde-- the girl who can phase through walls-- suddenly has this ability to project someone's mind back in time. No explanation for where this power came from is ever given. With their adding more mutants to those scenes-- Sunspot, Blink, Warpath, Bishop-- it wouldn't have really been that hard to introduce a new mutant with that ability.

Second, when Magneto is examining the microfilm that he stole from Trask's briefcase, he's using a flashlight and a glass jar as a makeshift projector, using his powers to hold up the film and the flashlight and the jar. A glass jar.

I suppose it could have been leaded glass, but is the average moviegoer going to know that leaded glass exists? Just have him hold the glass up with his hand, or put a metal ring on the jar or something.

X-Men characters gain/lose powers all the time.

Jars for preserving food will have metal lids that are just the rim.

May Contain Nuts has a new favorite as of 22:09 on May 27, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jay 2K Winger posted:

or put a metal ring on the jar or something.

There was a metal ring on the rim of the glass.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

Panfilo posted:

He was a major, which isn't really unheard of in your 30's. Plus it's said multiple times that he's private sector.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Jay 2K Winger posted:

There was a pretty noticeable metal band around the jar.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Byzantine posted:

Obviously, Godzilla likes us for making tasty radioactive snacks for him, and if the Mutos EMP us back to the stone age, then we can't make any more.

I'd like to think Godzilla sees us like humans see bees-pesky but useful. Godzilla likes the "honey" we store and doesn't deliberately harm us because we are indirectly useful to him and exponentially less of a threat than other monsters. MUTOs are like honey badgers that will maul anything that gets in their way.

The Godzilla movie is like a beekeper waking up to a pair of honey badgers trying to lay a clutch of badger eggs in the nearby beehives and causing a big racket. With badgers, "where there's one there's a hundred" so beekeeper gets his badger killing club and gets to bashing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Mission Impossible came at the perfect time because it encapsulates the technology of that era without going full-retard like most late-90s techno-thrillers.

The worst for me is Enemy of the State, where they are reviewing footage of Will Smith's shopping bag and trying to figure out if the footage of the assassination is in it. They can't see anything from the side it was filmed, so they create a 3d version of the scene and TURN THE BAG AROUND AND SEE THE TAPE INSIDE THE BAG. The movie requires you to take a lot for granted but it's all mostly based on reasonable beliefs about technological capabilities... but then this one scene is suddenly all,"We created a 3d environment based on the one side of the bag we could see, turned it around and saw the bulges being made on the other side of the bag even though that information was not present in the data we initially extrapolated it from!".

It's just such a bizarre addition, especially because it is so unnecessary (why not just have them switch to a different security camera feed that captures the other side of the bag?), it's the script deliberately introducing a problem and then just making up a bullshit solution to the problem THEY created. I mean, if the technology in the movie is capable of creating accurate images of things IT CAN'T SEE why didn't they just extrapolate a 3d environment from a picture of the entire city and then go inside each building and see where Will Smith was? It's essentially the same thing!

Edit: The scene in question.

Jerusalem has a new favorite as of 00:54 on May 28, 2014

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Jerusalem posted:

The worst for me is Enemy of the State, where they are reviewing footage of Will Smith's shopping bag and trying to figure out if the footage of the assassination is in it. They can't see anything from the side it was filmed, so they create a 3d version of the scene and TURN THE BAG AROUND AND SEE THE TAPE INSIDE THE BAG. The movie requires you to take a lot for granted but it's all mostly based on reasonable beliefs about technological capabilities... but then this one scene is suddenly all,"We created a 3d environment based on the one side of the bag we could see, turned it around and saw the bulges being made on the other side of the bag even though that information was not present in the data we initially extrapolated it from!".

It's just such a bizarre addition, especially because it is so unnecessary (why not just have them switch to a different security camera feed that captures the other side of the bag?), it's the script deliberately introducing a problem and then just making up a bullshit solution to the problem THEY created. I mean, if the technology in the movie is capable of creating accurate images of things IT CAN'T SEE why didn't they just extrapolate a 3d environment from a picture of the entire city and then go inside each building and see where Will Smith was? It's essentially the same thing!

I think I actually watched this with director commentary for some reason and according to Tony Scott, computers could actually do this. By analysing the shadows around the bag. In 1999. I don't believe it for a second either. :v:

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Inzombiac posted:

There was a pretty noticeable metal band around the jar.

muscles like this? posted:

There was a metal ring on the rim of the glass.

May Contain Nuts posted:

Jars for preserving food will have metal lids that are just the rim.

I didn't see the ring/rim/band around the jar, but I guess I'm outvoted on this.

May Contain Nuts posted:

X-Men characters gain/lose powers all the time.

In the comics, yeah. At least when Jean Grey started getting all Phoenix'd up, they hand-waved it as a sort of alternate personality, and when Hank McCoy went all Beast-y, they explained it as an adverse effect to his serum. And in both cases, the power change wasn't too dissimilar from their actual abilities.

Kitty Pryde going from 'phasing through walls' to 'time traveling astral projection' is a pretty big leap.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Kitty Pryde going from 'phasing through walls' to 'time traveling astral projection' is a pretty big leap.

Nah, bro, she's just phasing stuff through... time...
It's fine.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Inzombiac posted:

Nah, bro, she's just phasing stuff through... time...
It's fine.

I gotta say I agree with this one. She can already control reality enough to phase everything about herself or others down the the quantum level through a solid object intact. It's not much of a leap for me personally to assume she can do it through time too.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Esroc posted:

It's not much of a leap for me personally to assume she can do it through time too.

A sub-particle leap, if you will :colbert:

Wait, poo poo, that isn't right

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
When Batman blatantly tries to murder Robin in Dark Knight Rises and Robin doesn't seem to give a poo poo.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Funky See Funky Do posted:

When Batman blatantly tries to murder Robin in Dark Knight Rises and Robin doesn't seem to give a poo poo.

Come again for big fudge?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Can you elaborate? I do not remember this scene.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
If we're talking Batman, Bane's death in Rises was the lamest thing.
Also, why is it a big deal in the end of the '89 movie that BATMAN MADE JOKER when Napier was wounded by his own bullet and Batman did everything to save him from falling into the vat?

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Kikka posted:

If we're talking Batman, Bane's death in Rises was the lamest thing.
Also, why is it a big deal in the end of the '89 movie that BATMAN MADE JOKER when Napier was wounded by his own bullet and Batman did everything to save him from falling into the vat?

The big deal was that they made each other. In that movie they turned Joe Chill into Jack Napier.

"Never rub another man's rhubarb! Heh heh ha ha ha HA HA HEH HA!"

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

1redflag posted:

Can you elaborate? I do not remember this scene.

In Dark Knight Rises Batman gives Robin a grenade and says "Count to 5 and throw it". It explodes 3 seconds after he hands it to him.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Jerusalem posted:

The really weird thing is they just casually rotate the view around the whole store, then like 30 seconds later they make a big deal about doing it again for just the bag.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Jay 2K Winger posted:

I still think they should have used Magik in there, maybe. Her character already has time travel powers and teleportation powers, too.

There is a strange look from Bobby to Kitty in the film. A rumor I seem to have heard was that Rogue's character was supposed to have died in a prison break scene in the film that was cut.

I sort of wonder if the thing was that Rogue by the events of post-X3 gets her powers back and eventually gets an ability to not only steal powers but give them to people, too. (Sort of like the guy from Misfits.) If film was originally supposed to have featured Rogue and killed her off, I wonder if they'd planned to show Rogue pulling a reverse of her powers as a dying act to give the new ones to Kitty along with a snippet of her personality in the process. It sort of explains Bobby's glance and Kitty's new powers and how Singer's comments of cutting the Rogue scenes for pacing/time but thinking them important enough to film anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

JediTalentAgent posted:

I still think they should have used Magik in there, maybe. Her character already has time travel powers and teleportation powers, too.

There is a strange look from Bobby to Kitty in the film. A rumor I seem to have heard was that Rogue's character was supposed to have died in a prison break scene in the film that was cut.

I sort of wonder if the thing was that Rogue by the events of post-X3 gets her powers back and eventually gets an ability to not only steal powers but give them to people, too. (Sort of like the guy from Misfits.) If film was originally supposed to have featured Rogue and killed her off, I wonder if they'd planned to show Rogue pulling a reverse of her powers as a dying act to give the new ones to Kitty along with a snippet of her personality in the process. It sort of explains Bobby's glance and Kitty's new powers and how Singer's comments of cutting the Rogue scenes for pacing/time but thinking them important enough to film anyway.

A major subplot in Last Stand was Kitty and Bobby having a sort of relationship, and Rogue being jealous. We also know that she got her powers back since the cure does not work permanently.