Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Picnic Princess posted:

Deserves, you guys. Deserves.

Not just deserves but also waiting for. As if life owes them a certain kind of lover and will deliver some day, requiring no effort whatsoever. Or showering. Especially not requiring showering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
What the gently caress is it with nerds and having an aversion to showers? I can't stand going a day without one, I feel so greasy and unclean and ugly.

Explain How!
Dec 14, 2013
Is thais what it's come to? Being okay with being single is now really loving creepy?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Explain How! posted:

Is thais what it's come to? Being okay with being single is now really loving creepy?

It's not that. The message in that image isn't "it's okay to be single," it's "it's okay to be single because one day you'll get what you deserve :kheldragar:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
But the image doesn't come across with being ok with being single, they're saying they'll get the woman they deserve and are owed if they wait through it for now.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Explain How! posted:

Thinking that you 'deserve' someone is really creepy. People aren't things.

Explain How!
Dec 14, 2013
Deserve within this context in noway implies owed, jesus christ. It just a colloquialism. I shouldn't have to point this out to apparently functional humans.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Explain How! posted:

Deserve within this context in noway implies owed, jesus christ. It just a colloquialism. I shouldn't have to point this out to apparently functional humans.

The core problem is that functional humans understand this. The ones who post these kinds of things usually don't.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Explain How! posted:

The context is an anime image macro.

Explain How!
Dec 14, 2013
So you really don't need to reach to something that isn't there.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Explain How! posted:

The context is also in the wake of Elliot Rodger, who thinks he deserved things too. I was just pointing out that its creepy after reading a page or three featuring Elliot and other MRA.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

I reported the page "Virgin Mary should've aborted" several months ago, and Facebook responded that they weren't going to remove it. A week or so ago, I got an email saying the decision was reversed. Facebook works in mysterious ways.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Explain How! posted:

People that post that sort of thing aren't fine with being single, generally. My experience is that they don't want to be single but either have impossibly high standards or don't want to put forth the effort to forge and maintain a relationship. Or, you know, both.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ToxicSlurpee posted:

People that post that sort of thing aren't fine with being single, generally. My experience is that they don't want to be single but either have impossibly high standards or don't want to put forth the effort to forge and maintain a relationship. Or, you know, both.

I want a girl to come out of nowhere, be ridiculously hot, be incredibely attracted to me immediately and like all the things i like

just like my japanese animes

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Austrian mook posted:

I want a girl to come out of nowhere, be ridiculously hot, be incredibely attracted to me immediately and like all the things i like

You can't handle the majesty that is tsundere. :colbert:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

E: I blame kill la kill for everything

DJ Fuckboy Supreme has a new favorite as of 01:21 on May 28, 2014

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

SybilVimes posted:

In my experience/findings of talking about the subject with people, it seems there are different ways that people experience audio books, and for one group of people, of which I am a member, that find it utterly impossible to fully absorb the story or characters via audio, it just isn't as deep as reading the words ourselves.

So I can see why someone would say that it promotes illiteracy, if you were a member of that group, and didn't realise that not everyone experiences audio books that way.

That explains some of it, but it doesn't excuse it. There's this weird fetishization of books as physical objects, regardless of their content:

I'm a voracious reader, but there's nothing about paper books that makes them intrinsically better than e-books or audiobooks. And occasionally, especially when it comes to modern genre fiction, the book really is worse than the movie.

This is a quote from Northanger Abbey, which is both a parody and scathing criticism of the sort of novels that were popular in Jane Austen's time. You could say "a good movie" or "a good concert" instead of "a good novel," and the statement would still be equally correct.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
You can't go for a bike-ride/walk/do household chores while reading a book but you can with an audiobook.

Books have their place and more people should real more often but decrying audiobooks as terrible is just dumb.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Drinking concentrated garlic juice might not make you better, but it sure as poo poo will keep others away from you, preventing the spread of infection!

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Picnic Princess posted:

Drinking concentrated garlic juice might not make you better, but it sure as poo poo will keep others away from you, preventing the spread of infection!

I'm pretty sure that's more garlic than anyone could eat in a single sitting.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Neurion posted:

Challenge accepted.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Nuerion eat the garlics

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Picnic Princess posted:

:stare: gently caress, if I ate even half that much garlic, I'd probably die.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Neurion posted:

Paging LA Beast.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Dienes posted:

Paging LA Beast.

Yessssss.

LA Beast is the hero we need and deserve

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
It's not that much. I make a 44-clove garlic soup a few times a year. If the recipe is similar at all more than half the garlic is roasted and that mellows out the flavor a lot. Plus it's like six servings of soup.

Edit: the only thing it cures is good breath, though.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Segmentation Fault posted:

Challenge accepted.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
A single fart would lead to vampire genocide.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

The cognitive dissonance required to look at somebody who literally killed six people because women wouldn't sleep with him and say "He's such a nice guy, what a gentleman" is mindblowing. How could you possibly not realize what you're saying?

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Picnic Princess posted:

Vampires Hate Her! Discover This One Weird Tip That Might Save Your Life, Discovered By A Random Person On Facebook

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

There's no end to the drat things. 230K comments.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Dienes posted:

There's no end to the drat things. 230K comments.
At least seven. There could be one big hole in the back, or a bunch of little ones we can't see :viggo:

(It's me; I'm the idiot.)

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

drat, I think it's idiot night where I live. This article showed up twice.

http://urbananomie.com/2014/05/26/police-patrol-popular-hot-spots-reminding-calgarians-of-new-deodorant-bylaw/

quote:

About 45 officers with the Calgary Police olfactory crimes division were on patrol along strategic points in the city this weekend, conducting a deodorant bylaw enforcement operation after receiving numerous complaints about “foul-smelling barbarians” in the city.

You'd think the other articles at the side, and the tagline under the site name would be enough, but of course not. OF COURSE NOT.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I need friends with better taste:

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I need friends with better taste:

Yea, who the gently caress actually uses Rhapsody anymore?

NightWig
Aug 12, 2013

He just really wants to risk everyone's life, because the only thing that matters is that he can have some fun, right?

REAL equality. Not like that false equality like when women get lifted up to be equal to men.

And a classic racist talking point.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

NightWig posted:

He just really wants to risk everyone's life, because the only thing that matters is that he can have some fun, right?

REAL equality. Not like that false equality like when women get lifted up to be equal to men.

And a classic racist talking point.

Is this stupid fucker a personal acquaintance of yours or is he someone we can all follow? :allears:

NightWig
Aug 12, 2013

More or less a personal acquaintance.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

You Awake Yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx