Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

t-t-t-triple posting

I had a non-windy night, and decent alignment. Just good enough to use a 200mm lens (400mm equivalent with this camera).

This was 12 1 minute frames and a dark frame:

The Pleiades.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

That was about all I was up for though, it was only about 20 degrees outside and my boots just aren't that warm, even with wool socks :ohdear:

Also tried getting andromeda, but I wound up aiming at the wrong place :facepalm: Only realized it after I looked at this pic.

P2260032.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Likin the first one a lot. Given how cold it gets there, get some battery powered heatsocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Took this in Lisbon. An elevator (of sorts) that goes up and down that hill.

It took a lot of shots :P

Only registered members can see post attachments!

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
Nice shot. Looks like a lot of work went into taking it.

The vehicle might be called a Funicular.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

accipter posted:

Nice shot. Looks like a lot of work went into taking it.

The vehicle might be called a Funicular.

That's the one! thanks :D

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elevador_da_Gl%C3%B3ria I think

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
It looks like almost everyone on here is using Flickr. Is that typically the best and most used storage/sharing website? I just signed up for a Flickr account last night and wanted to make sure I was making the best decision. I don't need anything too fancy, just mainly using it for storage/backup and with a baby on the way I thought it would be a good way for family to check out updated photos.

If you were to loose everything on your hard drive are you able to somehow get the full original pictures off Flickr or are they going to be compressed, permanently resized, etc.?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

AzCoug posted:

It looks like almost everyone on here is using Flickr. Is that typically the best and most used storage/sharing website? I just signed up for a Flickr account last night and wanted to make sure I was making the best decision. I don't need anything too fancy, just mainly using it for storage/backup and with a baby on the way I thought it would be a good way for family to check out updated photos.

If you were to loose everything on your hard drive are you able to somehow get the full original pictures off Flickr or are they going to be compressed, permanently resized, etc.?

my advice with flickr: create sets so you don't get lost in your photostream. It also stores full resolution images, so that's a plus.

There's apps that will download all of your flickr too, so yes it's suitable for storage. And with basically unlimited space for pro users, it's not that expensive.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

SaNChEzZ posted:

There's apps that will download all of your flickr too, so yes it's suitable for storage. And with basically unlimited space for pro users, it's not that expensive.

Pro isn't a thing anymore, but the 1TB of storage the free account has should be enough for many people.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Flickr doesn't store raw though, does it?

If you want "real" backup you should look into an actual backup service. The Amazon one is supposedly pretty good but there's zillions of good options out there if you dig around.

Deadweight
Feb 8, 2005

"I might even be able to crash the whole damn system."

DSC_0095 by whatwhat5814, on Flickr

DSC_9704 (2) by whatwhat5814, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I'm ready now. Good thing there's a full moon :suicide:

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Mr. Despair posted:

I'm ready now. Good thing there's a full moon :suicide:

What/how are you using your phone? Is that an app, is it available for android? Where can you buy the connecting cable?

I obviously don't know anything about using your phone with the camera and am curious.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It looks like an intervalometer.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

AzCoug posted:

What/how are you using your phone? Is that an app, is it available for android? Where can you buy the connecting cable?

I obviously don't know anything about using your phone with the camera and am curious.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It looks like an intervalometer.

It's a triggertrap mobile, so it's all that and more (and yes, there's an android app too).

The app is free, the dongle is ~35 bucks, and it owns.

http://triggertrap.com/

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Mr. Despair posted:

It is super cool. I plan to take mine out sunday night with my new tripod. Hopefully a decent tripod will help me get some good shots.

Duckjob
Aug 22, 2003
Pack 'n Save has everyday low prices
Just a few shots from today

5D3_1155-2 by capacity4action, on Flickr

5D3_1127-2 by capacity4action, on Flickr

5D3_0840 by capacity4action, on Flickr

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Mr. Despair posted:

It's a triggertrap mobile, so it's all that and more (and yes, there's an android app too).

HOLY poo poo! Why didn't you post this in the mirrorless thread?

Miike
Nov 7, 2003
Free Mandela
Some photos I took at the new Dongdaemun Design Plaza & Park in Seoul.

Dongdaemun Design Plaza & Park by Nestor's Blurrylife, on Flickr

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Was trying to photograph the lightning, missed it and overexposed, but it came out nice anyway.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

If you have soldering skills you can build a dongle for pretty cheap.
http://bitshift.bi.funpic.de/en/dslr-remote/hardware/cable-s.php?lang=EN

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
Was looking forward to filming the blood moon tonight and of course it's cloudy as poo poo.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Claw Massage posted:

Was looking forward to filming the blood moon tonight and of course it's cloudy as poo poo.

Yup, some light cloud cover here in the bay area that kinda ruined any chance at a crisp photo. Not that my cheap 55-200 was able to capture much anyway... :negative:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Cloudy Bloodmoon:

Bloodmoon over NW Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
We couldn't really see the moon, but this guy spent about 3 minutes standing in the same spot anyway staring at where it would be:

DSCF4233.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

https://plus.google.com/photos/101979670757234772211/albums/6007723016326613137

My two buddies and I went out to a carpark in Zillmere to play with fire, we got some great shots using a Butane can, a firestick, hexane, remote flash and some coffee creamer. These are two quick uploads from the batch.

EOS 550D, EF50mm/f1.8
The first has the clarity cranked up in Lightroom 5, the second is just slightly cropped but was taken using the exposure change shutter trigger in MagicLantern.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 29, 2014

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Anybody else trying to shoot the meteor shower? I did a bunch of 2-minute exposures during peak time, now waiting on 30-second exposures for compressing into star trails/time lapse video.

Once back in high school when I was just starting to dabble in photography (and lived out in the sticks), I used my dad's OM-1 to do a 30-minute exposure during the Leonid shower, and got short star trails and one long steak with a splash at the end. Sadly, I've lost the print and the negative. :(

Now I live on the edge of the city, have a streetlight in my front yard and a kids' baseball park that leaves the stadium lights on all the time across the street, but the backyard's dark enough to see stars.

Some tests when I got my timer that allows exposures longer than 30s on the D7000:

Cellphone pic of the rig:

I got that Luna-Pro twelve years ago, and it's still working perfectly on the battery I put in it when I got it. I used it to meter the photos above, because the in-camera meter craps out well before it gets too dark to see through the viewfinder.

I can't take pictures of the galaxy from my porch, because it's on the same side of the house as the ballpark.

Edit: the timer is a Neewer knockoff MC-DC2, about $16 on Amazon (I paid $10.99+$5 shipping, also available for $15 with 50 cents shipping, or $2 with $13 shipping).

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 24, 2014

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Partial success! Here's the 2-minute exposures stacked, click for fullsize:

It got cloudy right when I started the 30-second series, so here's a time-lapse of clouds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ittp2TyCT_E

Surprisingly little light pollution looking north, with the house shading it from the nearby streetlights and ballpark (which do illuminate the clouds, and the tree on the left is catching the neighbors' porchlight). I'm on the north edge of town, but I though the city glow would be worse.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 24, 2014

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Afterwards I realize I should have bracketed the exposures. But with like 4+ min exposure times and cold enough weather I was too lazy to do it with every photo :v:

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Delivery McGee posted:

Anybody else trying to shoot the meteor shower?

I tried to, but it was a total bust--I barely saw any more meteors than I would on any given night. At least the galaxy is still cool.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

single-mode fiber posted:

I tried to, but it was a total bust--I barely saw any more meteors than I would on any given night. At least the galaxy is still cool.

Beautiful.

ISO/f-stop/shutter speed?

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

That was on a D7000 with the 35mm f/1.8 DX, f/1.8, 25-sec exposure. The first one was ISO 2000, the 2nd was at 1250. Just single exposures run through Lightroom, since I can't yet justify Photoshop.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Kenshin posted:

Beautiful.

ISO/f-stop/shutter speed?

If you click through to flickr all that information is there :ssh:

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000
I only saw 4 or 5 meteors and the ones that showed up in the photos weren't anything special. Still a nice clear night though.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

If you click through to flickr all that information is there :ssh:
Doh, I didn't even notice they were clickable!

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
I've been living in the middle of nowhere for some work lately so took my first foray into night photography, currently got a ghetto rig of lackey bands and gaffas tape doing some star trails.

It's full of stars by bang3rachi, on Flickr

Night sky by bang3rachi, on Flickr

It's full of stars by bang3rachi, on Flickr

wanghammer
Mar 24, 2001
DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH COCK I HAD TO SUCK TO GET THIS CUSTOM TITLE? A LOT!
The meteor shower was a bust.. but we got some faint auroras.... and a satellite.

IMG_1536 by bighoits, on Flickr

Edit: a couple of more

trails2 by bighoits, on Flickr

trails by bighoits, on Flickr

wanghammer fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 26, 2014

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
These are awesome. I've been trying to get good shots of the Milky Way recently and it's a complete bust. Is the key just to have access to a really clear sky in the absolute middle of nowhere? I'm in the countryside but you can see light glow all around where I am. When you take those photos, is the Milky Way quite visible with the naked eye?

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

It looks much fainter to the naked eye, as in you can see the "clouds" of light (more on the left), but not really the dark bands of dust and whatnot. This is still a little too bright, but to the naked eye, it's much more like this: http://i.imgur.com/y8k9lX9.jpg

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can see it pretty clearly once your eyes get fully dark adjusted, yes it's much fainter than in photographs but it's not hard to spot at all.

So if you can't see it after about 20 minutes, there's too much city glow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01