Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

The Blue Scribe's functionality didn't change in the FAQ, did it? All they did was change the language of the Scrolls to work in 7th.

Yeah but I'd said before hand they'd be the defact best unit at summoning, now they changed it so that it's not at the beginning of the turn and it counts as using the minimum number of Warp Charge needed to cast it.

So each turn you basically got a 1 in 6 chance of them turning into a Greater Daemon.

Summoning armies have some disadvantages though you can Alpha Strike them pretty easily and some other such things, but the fact is even if you charge them if you don't kill all of them in CC they can still summon while in Combat, the only restriction to Psychic Powers in CC is Witchfire I believe.

It's just a very powerful army.

In fact you shouldn't play a full on Summoning army but a mix of CSM and Chaos Daemons. Cause it TAKES FOR EVER. Chaos Space Marines got a huge boost in power with being Battle Brothers with Daemons.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm not really crazy for hot space wizard action and am more of a tread head. Tanks got a buff, which owns. I'm just dreading having to spend 200 points on wizards so that my tanks can actually do anything.

Then again predator destructors now cost 115 points and plasma destroyers cost almost the same. I could see taking a few squadrons and a space wizard to give them some silly buffs.... or I could just take more tanks?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I realized while playing in a tournament this past weekend that not only did tanks get a buff, but more importantly, Imperial Knights got a buff. I was pretty upset to have figured that out considering that the last tournament I played in was 2000 points and an 1850 point 5-IK list won it under the old rules.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Imperial Guard can get that like Warding Armour or whatever that is really cheap, that gives the unit Adamantium Will so that helps against witch fire at least. Otherwise, IG will never unless dedicated to it come close to getting enough dice to reliably shut down a army that's going all in on the Psychic Phase.

Well depending on how the tournament is laid out there's no reason why a full Jetbike army for Eldar shouldn't win every single game considering that 2/3 of the Objectives are hold objectives.

Kind of crazy. Space Marine Bikes as well. Anything that is really fast can grab objectives like crazy.

Kind of interesting. I've yet to play with the new Mission Cards but it seems more fun and dynamic.

Also people who are coming up with Daemonstars don't realize that with Sacrifice you can go fishing for Psychic Powers. Slaanesh gets Telepathy, Nurgle Gets Biomancy, the only spells you can't cast when summoned are conjurations. Slaanesh is really good to grab because of the Primaris power.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 28, 2014

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah dickbikers have gotten way better since they cost less and have a 2+ save, not to mention the jink save and potential T6.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
So, does Kairos Fateweaver add 8 Warp Charges to your pool? The model has two heads, each counts as a Mastery Level 4 Psyker, and they didn't address it in the FAQ.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
So does this edition turn into "You have to have psykers in your army or you are going to get murdered in the psychic phase if you dont"

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

DJ Dizzy posted:

So does this edition turn into "You have to have psykers in your army or you are going to get murdered in the psychic phase if you dont"

As was stated previously this Mage-Hammer 40K.

But unlike fantasy you don't get cheap dispell scrolls to deal with spells.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

DJ Dizzy posted:

They decently buffed most armies that are Psyker-lite, so I'd say you'll do okay unless you're playing a terrible gimmick list of summoning etc. I play Necrons with some regularity and am pretty okay with the changes.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

PierreTheMime posted:

So, does Kairos Fateweaver add 8 Warp Charges to your pool? The model has two heads, each counts as a Mastery Level 4 Psyker, and they didn't address it in the FAQ.

Wondered the same thing myself, but further down the special rule text in his entry it clarifies that you only get 4 I believe.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DJ Dizzy posted:

No.

It has turned into "Every daemon player has just become a Tzeenth only player, if they weren't already" and "Don't try to beat daemons by killing their guys" game.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Monoliths posted:

Wondered the same thing myself, but further down the special rule text in his entry it clarifies that you only get 4 I believe.

It only clarifies that each head has specific powers it can cast, but that means nothing when generating Warp Charges.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Boon posted:

No.

It has turned into "Every daemon player has just become a Tzeenth only player, if they weren't already" and "Don't try to beat daemons by killing their guys" game.

I'm trying to avoid posting in this terrible thread but what the gently caress? If you can't wipe a few units of pink horrors off of the board you probably deserve to lose. Aren't you an Eldar player? This is a trash gimmick list and everyone's losing their minds about psykers like the fundamentals of the game have changed or something. Shoot their loving units. Did you all lose all of your guns or something?

Daemons might end up being a pretty good army but it's not going to be this summoning gimmick garbage. How about actually taking good units that do things like gliding Nurgle DPs that Jink for a 2+ cover save with no penalty to their charge next turn?

e: loving lol at someone quitting over summoning Plaguebearers, of all things. THE SKY IS FALLING.

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 28, 2014

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I actually don't have a problem with it because I've never personally had a problem with beating Daemons. That doesn't mean I don't think that a powerful army just got far and away the biggest boost in viable options available to it (which translates into even more powerful tournament play). As others have said, strictly summoning daemon lists are probably less powerful than mixing in some other pieces.

Besides that, I actually like the changes that were made to 40k which is why I said "No." As in, no it's not mage-hammer.

Boon fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 28, 2014

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Right now I'm more interested in hearing how the random objective cards pan out. So far I've heard nothing in between either praise for how fun they are or total slams for how they replace player actions with a deck of cards as the determiner of victory. They are going to be the real test of seventh edition, I think.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Starting to pick up some pace on my 30k Salamanders. They're pretty quick to paint to this standard (going for the FW weathered look rather than crisp edge highlighting) but wondered if anyone might have any tips to make them stand out a little more, if anything? I know the bases could do with a little more to them but it does the job for now.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Fuegan posted:

Starting to pick up some pace on my 30k Salamanders. They're pretty quick to paint to this standard (going for the FW weathered look rather than crisp edge highlighting) but wondered if anyone might have any tips to make them stand out a little more, if anything? I know the bases could do with a little more to them but it does the job for now.

Maybe do the eyes and helmet slits in a different/brighter color? I'm partial to gold, but I'm biased because that's how I did my marine helmets. I think they look pretty baller and you already hit my thoughts about the base.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Right now I'm more interested in hearing how the random objective cards pan out. So far I've heard nothing in between either praise for how fun they are or total slams for how they replace player actions with a deck of cards as the determiner of victory. They are going to be the real test of seventh edition, I think.

I'm curious about this too, but I also think that, of anything, it might be the easiest part of the game to "fix." If tournament organizers want a Proper Test of Gentlemanly Space Generalship, they could use the old missions, or modify the existing ones to take out any perceived unnecessary randomness.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Fateweavers entry specifically states that he only generates Warp Charge for 1 Level 4. So no.

Summoning Daemons doesn't work well if you don't do it right and people think it's a I win button, but in a game where you are to control objectives and have mission goals you have to be very specific in what you summon to fulfill what purpose you require.The bad news on that is that you can in fact summon Calvary and Flyers that can easily and quickly grab objectives.It's not the end all be all.

Eldar will now still give it a run for it's money but their Psychic Game is gonna get shut down.

Edit

Some things that people didn't or maybe have not noticed this edition.

There's no limit to how much of your force you can put in Reserve. Huge boost to Drop Pod Armies.

Tank Shock is kind of awesome now

Battle Brothers can repair each others vehicles

Just stuff I found cool.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 28, 2014

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
Look, I think Phyresis is a cock, but for loving real, he's spot on. Summoning is strong, but any decent constructed list is going to to loving kick your poo poo in while you spin your dick trying to make units. I mean just look at this -

Phyresis posted:

I'm trying to avoid posting in this terrible thread but what the gently caress? If you can't wipe a few units of pink horrors off of the board you probably deserve to lose. Aren't you an Eldar player? This is a trash gimmick list and everyone's losing their minds about psykers like the fundamentals of the game have changed or something. Shoot their loving units. Did you all lose all of your guns or something?
and think it over. If someone puts down a bunch of blocks of Horrors, drag out a Manticore or Thunderfire or whatever and pulp the dumb T3 5++ assholes to a paste. I love this summoning poo poo, because if anything, it encourages people to bring more anti-infantry while tanks, at the same time, pull people into taking AP 1/2 stuff unless they can rattle a tank to death with glances. It's going to shake things up, and I bet that within a few months, it will be a gimmick you beat by having checked off a box on your list going "can I handle a bunch of dumb assholes that just summon more dumb assholes, who have essentially no armor, are T3, and sit out of LOS."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yes, I've pointed out the Barrage eats their loving lunch. D-Cannons, Mortars! (Seriously take Mortars now Imperial Guard), Thunderfire , Manticore, etc.. etc..

Also super fast armies can just ignore them with impunity and shoot the poo poo out of them, as it's a rather slow army.
Eldar specifically on Jetbikes can seriously mess the army up.
Anything Alphastrike for example can mess it up.

A huge boost in power terms to being able to Double up on HQs now with Combined Forces, make Tyranids a beast in some instances against it.

Fliers give them trouble.

It's why a all summoning army isn't that great However having some Heralds and Horrors summoning Daemons while you as the Chaos Player do your thing is pretty keen. Or take a stupid Fortification like 3 Void Shields or a Bastion.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 28, 2014

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Sup with Barrage weapons nows?

Also, the ork things looks loving orky as gently caress. Goddamnit GW. Stop tempting me! I said I quit!

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Yes, I've pointed out the Barrage eats their loving lunch. D-Cannons, Mortars! (Seriously take Mortars now Imperial Guard), Thunderfire , Manticore, etc.. etc..

Also super fast armies can just ignore them with impunity and shoot the poo poo out of them, as it's a rather slow army.
Eldar specifically on Jetbikes can seriously mess the army up.
Anything Alphastrike for example can mess it up.

A huge boost in power terms to being able to Double up on HQs now with Combined Forces, make Tyranids a beast in some instances
Fliers give them trouble.

It's why a all summoning army isn't that great However having some Heralds and Horrors summoning Daemons while you as the Chaos Player do your thing is pretty keen. Or take a stupid Fortification like 3 Void Shields or a Bastion.
This I'll agree with. I like the idea of a Herald looking over his shoulder and dumping Plaguebearers onto an objective - that's quite nice.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

You really want to take a decent amount of Barrage now if you are a army that doesn't want to go heavy on Psykers.

Of Course.. they can always just go the " Yeah my army is 24 Warp Charge FMC " which can be annoying it's why taking just Heralds and Pink Horrors is dumb. Take Soul Grinders, and some fortification of something to hide inside if you don't go first.

There's lots of poo poo that will kill that army, Space Marine Snipers kill it they can target the heralds.

It's not invincible, unless they go first and get a really good Summoning Phase then you could kind of be boned.

It's pretty much a Alpha Strike army that depends on going first, you not having anything to quickly get rid of the Heralds, not being able to shoot at their Heralds and Pink Horrors, Not having mass barrage. If it goes first and has a good first turn, good luck , if it doesn't though and you get the jump on it then not so much.

For example : Two Landspeeder Storms ? ( I think that is what they are called) Can really annoy the poo poo out of it.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 28, 2014

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

Squifferific posted:

a Proper Test of Gentlemanly Space Generalship

I now have a title for my tuxedos, scotch, and cigars warhams event that I'll continue dreaming about and never actually run. :allears:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I've never understood why people who do battle reports at least don't put on a little bit of foundation and maybe dress up a little bit. Seriously you're on camera and people are seeing you be presentable.

Honestly, more guys should use foundation, it makes you look younger and get's rid of that redness.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

I've never understood why people who do battle reports at least don't put on a little bit of foundation and maybe dress up a little bit. Seriously your on camera and people are seeing you be presentable.

What the hell?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It's just something to even out your skin tone, it's not like I'm saying glob yourself in make up. It's great for covering up blemishes. Also , please pluck your eyebrows.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Just put on some foundation, guys, it's no big deal. You want to look professional while making bad jokes and getting all the rules wrong.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

That kind of personal grooming is way beyond most wargamers.

I'm thankful when people at the store have managed to apply soap, deodorant, and clean clothes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I never play Warhammer without visiting the salon.

E:Though I will say that more people should shower before venturing out the the gamestore.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 28, 2014

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I only touch my precious spacemen with freshly manicured fingers.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I mean yeah stuff like 'don't smell offensive' or 'don't have oily fingers' all make sense but I think 'wearing foundation' is a bit beyond the call of normal person hygiene.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I mean yeah stuff like 'don't smell offensive' or 'don't have oily fingers' all make sense but I think 'wearing foundation' is a bit beyond the call of normal person hygiene.

Not if you're specifically filming a video. For everyday gaming, sure, but that's not what he was talking about.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I think you guys don't understand what foundation is. It's just something that evens out skin tone and it helps get rid of blemishes. No one would know if you were wearing it and it'd actually make you look better.

I'm saying if you do a battle report and are on camera look your best. It's just a professional thing of course I am a theater performer so I have different standards. People automatically judge you by your appearance in the first few moments of meeting them, you never get another first impression.

It's why when doing video etc look your best. Not saying wear a 3 piece suit but try not to look like a extra from Twilight.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 28, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I know what foundation is, but if you're trying to make video reports better you'd start with stuff like 'use a tripod, invest in video editing software that doesn't rely on power point slide transitions, have people use clear speaking voices'. 'This grognard's skin tone is uneven' is absurdly low on the totem pole of 'why this poo poo sucks' compared to things like 'solid-colored sprayed minis' or 'you don't even see the things we do during our turns!'.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Hollismason posted:

I think you guys don't understand what foundation is. It's just something that evens out skin tone and it helps get rid of blemishes. No one would know if you were wearing it and it'd actually make you look better.

I'm saying if you do a battle report and are on camera look your best. It's just a professional thing of course I am a theater performer so I have different standards.

I don't think you understand the people that play this game, or the target audience of those videos.

e: vvvv :stare:

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

I'm incredibly thankful that cargo pants/shorts have replaced sweatpants as the foundation garment of gamers these days. I quit a game once because an older fatbeard was clearly "excited" for some reason, and sweatpants did gently caress-all to conceal that fact. Hasn't been a problem with the newer cargo people.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I have a instant hate for anyone who wears shorts that have more than 4 pockets, along with a utilikilt. Just get a nice attache or manbag to carry your things in.

I just want to start punching and not stop the instant I see a kilt on someone who does not also have accompanying Scottish Bagpipes and there's not a dead body being put in the ground nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Guys, GW doesn't call them foundations anymore. :downsrim:

• Locked thread