Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I do a lot of pvp, but you really can't do much when you're dead when there isn't even an opponent on screen to stab you. I'm just grumpy it happened four times in a row. I'm making up for that unfun by casting affinity then chameleon then running around the belfries as the Battle Barrels. It's surprisingly effective when the other guy can't see what spell you're queuing up. :v:

Lag like that is very rare for most people. Blame your internet connection.

Your Computer posted:

I literally couldn't get past Heide's because I was invaded seconds after I respawned at the bonfire. Certain places are hotspots, and being unable to progress in the game because of these hotspots is a problem.

As said above, there is an invasion cooldown after you get killed by an invader. Even discounting that, invasions are still super loving rare. I think i've been invaded maybe a dozen times outside the belfries/ng+ as a sinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I have well over a hundred wins over bell touchers now but the bell bro puppets don't want to give me their swanky suit :\

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I've noticed in NG+ I get invaded actually much more frequently than I ever got invaded in Dark Souls 1. However, it's also been the case that it's been the same single person invading in that area many, many times. In huntsman's copse for example, I ended up doing some freelance phantom work and was not only invaded myself by one guy, but almost every time I was helping as a phantom!

I genuinely hope that he cheated himself the red eye orbs to do so because I'd imagine it must've been agony to farm them the way From intended.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I have only been invaded once (non-bluebro) and I have put an absolutely embarrassing amount of time into this game. Like, a quantity of hours I am not even willing to disclose. In both NG and NG+.

That's how rare invasions are.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Your Computer posted:

I completely forgot about that :doh: Is there an unlimited supply at some point in the game?

There's a few places to farm them if you really need them, but I use between 2-4 per area and keep finding enough to still be in the double digits with them.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Iretep posted:

I'm convinced burning effigies is meant for bloodbros so they don't get bored of the legions of blue mage invaders.

Yeah if you're going to be spending any time in an area once you get to high SM you have to burn an effigy otherwise you'll get invaded by the same blue boys over and over. Not something you want to deal with while trying to grind the Ruin Sentinel hell hole, for example.

Your Computer posted:

Then I really wonder what was going on. :confused: I'd respawn at the bonfire and by the time I got the the dome with the three knights I'd be invaded. Not wanting to fight three enemies and an invader at once, I ran back to the open spot near the bonfire, tried fighting the invader and died. Rinse and repeat.
e: I thought it was an NPC at first because I was invaded by the same guy 3 times in a row, but then I was also invaded by 2 other people.

I don't know how long the cooldown is but its long enough that you can easily make it through a zone as small as Heides before it wears off, even if you fight every enemy between you and the boss.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've been invaded about 10 times in all outside of grey phantoms. It's not that common really.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't know how long the cooldown is but its long enough that you can easily make it through a zone as small as Heides before it wears off, even if you fight every enemy between you and the boss.

I'm telling you that's not the case though. Mind you, this was NG+, and as Cowcaster says..

Cowcaster posted:

I've noticed in NG+ I get invaded actually much more frequently than I ever got invaded in Dark Souls 1. However, it's also been the case that it's been the same single person invading in that area many, many times.

...It was the same dude, over and over and over.

I will agree that they're not all that common in a regular NG playthrough though. I've already put over 120 hours into this game, most on NG (different builds, etc.) and I've only been invaded a handful of times in specific areas (not counting the bell hell).

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 28, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

You're complaining about invasions when you're in ng+, seriously?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

Why is that a problem? :confused:
I love the PVE part of this game, but as I previously stated the PVP has never worked properly for me. If it wasn't all teleporting and frontal backstabs it'd at least feel like my own fault.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

...It was the same dude, over and over and over.

Are you sure it wasn't an npc?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Everyone who has invaded me has been so loving awful at the game that in most cases I can just bait them into rolling off a cliff or having them walk into my attacks.

The key to pvp is to always dodge and keep the offensive. Defensive is useless in pvp so go at them like a crazed madman who can't sit still. I suck at PVP but turning off my brain and letting myself flail and dodge has gotten me out almost every invasion and duel. Got me my 30 scales too.

Arenas are another ballgame entirely. Min/maxed players out the rear end and I keep getting players with Japanese names who are the master and commander of DS so I just die.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Genocyber posted:

I think 2/3rds of all of my posts in this thread has been bitching in one form or another. :v:

I was having some super lovely focus or something and in the time it took me to get through Harvest Valley in NG5, I had already been invaded 4 times. It was happening crazy often even for me. It wouldn't have been as bad if I stopped being a moron and getting hit by regular enemies so much, but still. It was basically a preemptive game over as soon as I saw the invasion warning.

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp
What's a good boss for sunbro-ing at around 175k soul memory?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I just realized that the Witchtree Branch is a larger version of the Oolacile catalyst. Huh.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Your Computer posted:

and my internet is fantastic.

No it's not. Also after three straight games with PvP and co-op both being an integral part of the game, how are you not expecting to be invaded? Why did you buy this game, knowing that there is a high probability that somehow, some way, even when given a mechanic to stop invasions, you would be invaded by another player?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Stokes posted:

No it's not. Also after three straight games with PvP and co-op both being an integral part of the game, how are you not expecting to be invaded? Why did you buy this game, knowing that there is a high probability that somehow, some way, even when given a mechanic to stop invasions, you would be invaded by another player?

30 Mbps down, 10 Mbps up should be plenty for this game.
I'm not saying I'm not expecting to get invaded, just that I dislike it. As I already said, I completely adore these games for their PVE. The atmosphere, engine, difficulty, lore, everything. I love the way you can actually learn the patterns and timings and get good at the game. PVP is something else, and a part I'd gladly do without.
I don't see why this angers you guys :confused:

e: Like I said, I've already put over 120 hours into this and prepared to spend more. It's absolutely one of my favourite games ever, even if I'm complete rubbish at stuff involving PVP. I just feel the game wouldn't lose anything by disabling people showing up and ruining my fun v:shobon:v

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 28, 2014

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Your Computer posted:

I'm not saying I'm not expecting to get invaded, just that I dislike it. As I already said, I completely adore these games for their PVE. The atmosphere, engine, difficulty, lore, everything. I love the way you can actually learn the patterns and timings and get good at the game. PVP is something else, and a part I'd gladly do without.

People get bent out of shape over videogames pretty easily as it turns out. But yeah, burning a human effigy is going to be the way to go for you. The game throws them at you and they're non-essential for actually turning human. You will need some stashed away for an optional sidequest though so keep that in mind.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Your Computer posted:

You can do without. Just turn off you internet when starting the game so it goes into offline mode.

Or just burn an effigy at each bonfire.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Come to think of it, "Go explore a different area where there's not a single guy crushing red eye orbs as fast as he can" is another valid option, although harder to gauge.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Your Computer posted:

That doesn't matter. What matters is how your ip connects to From Software's servers. And if it's as bad as you say it is, it's your/your IP's problem. Not theirs.

quote:

PVP is something else,
No it's not. It is a core part of the Dark Souls experience, as it has been since Demon Souls.

quote:

Because you are complaining about something that you really shouldn't be complaining about, considering you knew what you were getting yourself into by purchasing the game.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Your connection speed doesn't matter much. The latency between clients in either Dark Souls is impressively mind bending.

120 Titanite Chunks in my inventory and still no Bell Keeper zootsuit.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Stokes posted:

Because you are complaining about something that you really shouldn't be complaining about, considering you knew what you were getting yourself into by purchasing the game.

Considering From was boasting about how it would be better this time around and there have been precisely 0 improvements, I really doubt that. Either way, your internet connection alone doesn't matter as much as you'd expect it to, it's just a matter of From's servers not being able to keep up with the bajillion people that are playing. When the immediate popularity boost dies off it'll probably even out a little.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So I've never actually burned an effigy before, I'm guessing it's a timed thing? If so, how long does it last? 10 min? 30? It's true that I've got several but I've kinda been saving them for the, uh, covenant.

e:

Stokes posted:

No it's not. It is a core part of the Dark Souls experience, as it has been since Demon Souls.
Let's agree to disagree then. I think the games stand up excellently as single-player :)

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

personally I believe people are allowed to like and dislike whatever aspects of a game they want whether it's "core to the experience" or not

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I FINALLY beat an invader, and it was with my silly Gigan outfit too.

He tried pulling out an Avelyn when he was about to lose too, but I remembered someone suggested just dashing diagonally forward and that worked to get me close enough to pop him in the jaw one last time.

Edit: He reinvaded and ganked me. :/

Cyberventurer fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 28, 2014

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Aren't From's servers just used to manage match making and the actual connection between hosts and visitors is entirely peer-to-peer?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DSauer posted:

120 Titanite Chunks in my inventory and still no Bell Keeper zootsuit.

I physically can't carry any more chunks now.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Your Computer posted:

So I've never actually burned an effigy before, I'm guessing it's a timed thing? If so, how long does it last? 10 min? 30? It's true that I've got several but I've kinda been saving them for the, uh, covenant.

e:

Let's agree to disagree then. I think the games stand up excellently as single-player :)

I think its like 30 minutes.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cardboard Box posted:

personally I believe people are allowed to like and dislike whatever aspects of a game they want whether it's "core to the experience" or not

They are. It's stupid as hell to bring it up three games deep, with each game integrating the player contact aspects more.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

It's an hour, and I think it only ticks down as long as you're actually in the region it's covering.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

RBA Starblade posted:

I physically can't carry any more chunks now.

I don't actually have 120, I've got 99 now but I've used well over another twenty in upgrades. This doesn't make sense.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

CJacobs posted:

Considering From was boasting about how it would be better this time around and there have been precisely 0 improvements,

Zero improvements.

You can completely turn off PvP by burning an effigy.
They took such a massive dump on early game PvP, it has rendered the two main PvP covenants nearly useless until your second time through the game.

Zero improvements.

It's ok to admit when you're wrong.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
anyone around 1.7 that has a lizard staff they wanna trade? I've got a spare blacksteel katana.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I found out that using the trick to jump down to Iron Keep from the Bellfry Sol bonfire, there's a little spot where you can invade people in the lava room of doom. What a great place for PvP :getin:

(I've rolled into lava like 5 times now)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

For whatever reason, the Battle Barrel is unstoppable. Unless you climb a ladder or something, I guess there's not much it can do about that. This is such a dumb gimmick but it's really fun at the same time. For best results, stay close to a corner, then fire off soul greatsword when they try to chug from behind it.

DSauer posted:

I don't actually have 120, I've got 99 now but I've used well over another twenty in upgrades. This doesn't make sense.

That's strange. You've talked to them enough right? Maybe you got it already? Are you sure you didn't get more chunks through exploration and purchasing than you think?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
The only solution is to kill more people.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

It's not going to help any on its own but you can talk to Shalquior in Majula to check exactly what rank you are within the covenant, albeit not the progress you've made. If she says you're rank 2, you know what must be done.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Stokes posted:

Zero improvements.

You can completely turn off PvP by burning an effigy.
They took such a massive dump on early game PvP, it has rendered the two main PvP covenants nearly useless until your second time through the game.

Zero improvements.

It's ok to admit when you're wrong.

That second thing ain't no improvement :colbert:

That dude's internet doesn't like PVP for whatever reason, maybe it's really lossy, let him ask how to avoid it without taking a dump on him, sheesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I did the twitter thing someone said I should do. Maybe Supergiant Games-senpai will notice me. I wish twitter didn't auto-.jpg images.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 28, 2014