Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Eigo posted:

Ops week might still give you a chance before Saturday, but apparently the key page is down with no ETA so it may never come back. :shrug:

Do you have a link to the key page? I can't find it and I want to have it up to refresh every now and then.

Edit: Found a beta key giveaway from IGN. Downloading the client now! Thanks yall.

Darth Windu fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokaii
Mar 8, 2004

Oldest Goon
July 29, 1942

SymfonyMan posted:

When you are 71 video games will be playing YOU! Think about it.

Sometimes that's how I feel! :)

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Tokaii posted:

Sometimes that's how I feel! :)

I remember being on ventrilo with you for that awful pirates mmo years ago (Reufel Teufel, but I don't blame anyone for not remembering), trying to get advice from all the pvp try-hards. Glad to see you're still kicking around online dude.

tjume
Feb 8, 2009
Someone on reddit posted a summary of todays nexus talk: https://pay.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/26mmqq/wildstar_the_nexus_report_may_27th_summary/

quote:

- Server names tomorrow
- Security: use unique password for WildStar, there should be two-factor auth for launch, Google Authenticator based. Not physical. Basically the same as WoW's authenticator.
- Head start is at a weird time because it's a global game and they want to make it as timezone neutral as possible.
- About launch: Open Beta and Ops Week used to test to see how they can ensure a smooth launch. Test disaster recovery before launch. Head Start is more of a soft launch and helps lessen the load.
- Server capacity: not giving a specific number but it's larger than other MMOs (but smaller than a megaserver). They want busy, healthy servers that have more than enough room for everyone.
- Blame Cougar if the servers go down!
- If a server crashes, 95% of the time they don't need human interaction to come back up. They're built to do it themselves very quickly.
- There will be a patch before Head Start, but it won't be a huge one. Patch should be tonight.
- About botters/gold spammers: Game Surveillance Unit will be using active and passive spam/bot detection. Cheat detection logs (called JRK logs lol). Policies in place to help stop false positives. Not giving away their secrets!
- About Multiboxing: if you're doing it yourself without the use of 3rd party programs/bots/macros, it's allowed. One keypress for multiple characters is not allowed.
- Probably no server statistics pages for a while because they're super busy, but they would like to do them eventually.
- No set downtime for maintenance (i.e. weekly etc). Prefer to deploy patches on Thursday or Tuesday. Probably higher concentration of patches during launch month.
- Raids reset 10AM UTC Tuesday.
- They have the tech for realm transfers, but they don't know when they'll be available.
- Do not need to redownload the game for head start/launch. However if you have had WS installed for a long while, it might be worth reinstalling for a possible performance boost.
- Preorders who've played open beta shouldn't have to do anything else for launch. Preorder keys have a grace period after head start of three days (ends June 5th 23:59) to enter your full game key if you're getting a physical copy.
- Servers should come up for a little bit tonight. Login stress test. Will be unstable.
- Login stress test will help test problems and make it more stable. NCSOFT's login infrastructure is tried and true and they're using that. So far not many login problems so they're optimistic.
- Housing - you can neighbour your alts' houses. Gold isn't shared between characters. Further info coming.
- Aurin are most popular race! #totesadorbz

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

quote:

- Aurin are most popular race! #totesadorbz

:getin: :unsmigghh:

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I'm pretty excited. I got into the beta, but never managed to finish the download, so I'm going in blind. Of course I'm out of town for a bachelor party this weekend, so I miss most of the head start too.

Probably rolling engineer tank, I really need to read up on tradeshows and paths though.

Mount Desert
Jan 14, 2010
New patch is up, comes with a side of intro movie. Supposed to be 1 more OPs test before launch.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I wish the male draken didn't stand with horrible posture, I'm trying to decide between one of them and a mechari for a warrior, and it would be an easy choice if they stood up like everyone else :(.

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

Inepta Lacerta posted:

It's a shame, that!

(Really only thought I'd post it because otherwise I just know there'll be a ton of post from goons complaining about poo poo not working.

Oh who am I kidding, there'll be anyway.)

Jokes on you, the official site NEVER worked for me.

I had to buy the game by hotspotting on my phone's 4G.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

Dracula Factory posted:

I wish the male draken didn't stand with horrible posture, I'm trying to decide between one of them and a mechari for a warrior, and it would be an easy choice if they stood up like everyone else :(.

I hate it when things aren't homogenised and boring clones of each other too.

Draken stoop owns and it bothers me that the females stand so straight.

Windchilla
May 30, 2009

Miles O'Brian posted:

I hate it when things aren't homogenised and boring clones of each other too.

Draken stoop owns and it bothers me that the females stand so straight.

Total WoW Troll throwback. I love the Draken combat crouch, but I don't like the actual posture slouch. Draken also look amazing with Stalker claws, so that settled me on Mechari Warrior and Draken Stalker.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
It's weird, the draken stand up perfectly straight when they hoverboard

They're CAPABLE of doing it but they choose not to.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Doublestep posted:

It's weird, the draken stand up perfectly straight when they hoverboard

They're CAPABLE of doing it but they choose not to.

Which is what I always told my mother.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Windchilla posted:

so that settled me on Mechari Warrior

Warrior is a weird enough class for this game -- you're in space, there are magic guns and robots, why are you using a sword, stop it -- but I especially don't understand Mechari Warriors because they are robots. Why are literal robots using swords? Like, I get that they're essentially Warforged, but Warforged have an excuse not to have guns, on account of guns not existing in D&D, and Mechari don't.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Projectile based weapons generally assume that the target has a central nervous system that can be efficiently interrupted by putting small holes into the part of the body that keeps all the other parts of the body inside. Check your skin privilege.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Science has made swords awesome again is the conceit of the class. You might as well ask why the Stalker is not a sniper.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Space cowboys with unlimited ammo and magic and you're questioning the dude with a gigantic power sword

Why don't those loving Jedi idiots use swords :shrug:

Doublestep fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 28, 2014

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

loquacius posted:

Warrior is a weird enough class for this game -- you're in space, there are magic guns and robots, why are you using a sword, stop it -- but I especially don't understand Mechari Warriors because they are robots. Why are literal robots using swords? Like, I get that they're essentially Warforged, but Warforged have an excuse not to have guns, on account of guns not existing in D&D, and Mechari don't.

Clearly it's because they're :black101: as gently caress, that's why! (Hardcore!)

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

loquacius posted:

From the wildstar website:

quote:

For ages, warriors throughout the galaxy would slice and dice their enemies with swords, only inevitably to find themselves confronted with something uncuttable. But then someone came up with the crazy idea of hooking a blade up to a fusion accelerator. The result? A marriage made in slaughterhouse heaven. Today's power swords come equipped with ten megatons of liquid awesome hurtage. In. Your. Fist.

Because space swords own.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
They also have arm cannons that shoot projectiles.

And saws.

And giant bungee cords made out of energy

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Stalker claws are at least floaty lasery gemstoney claws (sometimes I guess), which is cool and I have no problem with it, but Warrior swords just kinda look like JRPG weapons. If they were laser swords, or Gears-of-War-style chainsaw blades, or a katana handle that shoots bullets that loop around in a blade-shaped arc I'd give it a miss, but that's just lazy. :colbert:

Doublestep posted:

And saws.

I fully endorse these aspects of the class.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doublestep posted:

And saws.

The warrior's arm mounted plasma cannon actually shoots both the saws and the bungee cords. Please refer to the wikipedia for more information on the warrior's arm mounted plasma cannon. The warrior's arm mounted plasma cannon will not harm you.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

loquacius posted:

Stalker claws are at least floaty lasery gemstoney claws (sometimes I guess), which is cool and I have no problem with it, but Warrior swords just kinda look like JRPG weapons. If they were laser swords, or Gears-of-War-style chainsaw blades, or a katana handle that shoots bullets that loop around in a blade-shaped arc I'd give it a miss, but that's just lazy. :colbert:

There are chainsaw style swords.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

The power swords are great, warriors are great. Sorry about your brain damage.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

There are all sorts of crazy diesel-powered chainsaw laser swords, they're just not low-level stuff. Gotta have cool things later in the game.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

loquacius posted:

That katana handle is possibly the stupidest thing I have ever seen.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
There are swords that are sputtering chainsaw blades, There are swords that resemble the skull of a swordfish with a serrated nose, there are blades that look like cooled cracked metal and there are swords that resemble gravestones that have been dug out of the ground and are now wielded like a blade.

Games got cool swords.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Star corps have pretty uhh, i guess the word here is practical? looking beam claymore type things

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

a cock shaped fruit posted:

There are swords that are sputtering chainsaw blades, There are swords that resemble the skull of a swordfish with a serrated nose, there are blades that look like cooled cracked metal and there are swords that resemble gravestones that have been dug out of the ground and are now wielded like a blade.

Games got cool swords.

Too bad that was the worst of the unique weapons they proposed.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I told myself I wouldn't buy this, but the Engineer, it calls to me.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Bauxite posted:

That katana handle is possibly the stupidest thing I have ever seen.

:thejoke:

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Games got cool swords.

They're perfectly fine swords, yes, as swords go, but even after all this I cannot be convinced that in a space game a sword is a thing I'd ever want to use :shrug: It's basically cartoon Firefly with cool aliens thrown in, and that means I want to use guns. What do I look like, Chiwetel Ejiofor?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Well wait, so are you joking about wanting swords that are stupid as gently caress then? If so, what's your point?

No one's making you roll a warrior, and swords have a pretty long tradition of being in Cheesy sci fi. Nothin wrong with them as they are in the game.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

loquacius posted:

you're in space, there are magic guns and robots, why are you using a sword, stop it
this is exactly why I like Warriors so much, everyone else is a future robot gun gandalf or whatever and I'm just a dumb rear end in a top hat waving a sword around

vvv your post was super obviously tongue in cheek but this thread is Mad About Everything All The Time Always

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Bauxite posted:

Well wait, so are you joking about wanting swords that are stupid as gently caress then? If so, what's your point?

No one's making you roll a warrior, and swords have a pretty long tradition of being in Cheesy sci fi. Nothin wrong with them as they are in the game.

Man, I am really glad I only check up on the Wildstar threads once every couple of days. poo poo's getting tense in here, and all I did was make fun of swords in space. All those raid/PVP derails must have people running a little hot.

Calm down, dorks, I'm not actually judging anyone over what exact type of fantastical physically-impossible weapon they want to make their pretty space princess hold. I'm leaning toward the shotgun-and-helper-robots-slash-power-armor combo myself, but diff'rent strokes etc etc.

Soothing Vapors posted:

this is exactly why I like Warriors so much, everyone else is a future robot gun gandalf or whatever and I'm just a dumb rear end in a top hat waving a sword around

See, this, this is a normal response

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

B-b-but dominion races are so ugly and I want my pretty purple aurin esper princess.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

loquacius posted:

Man, I am really glad I only check up on the Wildstar threads once every couple of days. poo poo's getting tense in here, and all I did was make fun of swords in space. All those raid/PVP derails must have people running a little hot.

Hey man, you compared my space WWE wrestler to JRPGs. I don't know how you thought them wasn't fightin' words.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Things this thread cannot handle

PvP
PvE
Aurin
Swords

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

And 40 man raiding.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
40 aurin warriors in on the rp server raiding a warplot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Things this thread cannot handle

PvP
PvE
Aurin
Swords
Anything Wildstar

Fixed that for you.

• Locked thread