Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Did arcade edition outsell marvel? (I'd count both the upgrade and the standalone.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I dunno if we have numbers on the upgrade for Arcade Edition, I'm pretty sure the standalone discs didn't make it past a million though.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Orgia Carnaval posted:

For the most part Marvel doesn't seem to stick its dick too far into games they license to other companies and let them do their own thing.
Recently Marvel said things about unifying their game universe so that could change.
I don't know why you oppose the idea, that they would want a NetherRealm-like story mode, so much. Critics and fans love them and most people see them as an inevitable step in the future of fighting games. Whoever is in charge of games at Marvel won't ignore that. Combined with their new vision of a video game universe(as stupid as it is), it would make sense to improve in that regard and match their rival Injustice. Ofcourse only if they actually make a fighting game in the foreseeable future.

Jeffrey posted:

Did arcade edition outsell marvel? (I'd count both the upgrade and the standalone.)
I don't think Capcom released any numbers on the digital version and there is no other source for them.
If I had to guess, I would say they might be even.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Why don't they just ban Zero and Doctor Doom in competitive play? Every person I see using them does the exact same infinite combos every single match. They don't seem "viable" so much as "completely broken", as in, there is literally no way to counter them other than "don't get hit". Which seems pretty unreasonable even for the best of players.

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007
Banning characters is silly and "everyone does the exact same infinite combos" is a terrible reason to consider doing so. Even if those two were banned, players would just move on to whoever's next in the tier list. Should those characters be banned too?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Does it matter anyway? Isn't the FGC starting to abandon Marvel 3 since it clearly has no future?

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
Complaining about Zero/Doom because of "infinites" is nonsense. Neither character has an infinite on point. Doom isn't even good on point. Plenty of teams can one-touch, do you want to ban out team KBR/Justin/Nemo? Welcome to Marvel, don't get hit. Break TACs too.

ShortThug
Dec 26, 2004

Yay!
You've never seen a real "completely broken" character if you think Zero and Doom are it.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Wonder if Marvel would attempt a 3v3 Marvel-only fighting game in-house like Injustice. Don't have high expectations on how it would end up (ie better/worse) with less Capcom involvement, as much as people like to grumble about Capcom fighters.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Electromax posted:

Wonder if Marvel would attempt a 3v3 Marvel-only fighting game in-house like Injustice. Don't have high expectations on how it would end up (ie better/worse) with less Capcom involvement, as much as people like to grumble about Capcom fighters.

Who would even make it though, if not Capcom?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I just think winning continuously by exploiting a design flaw like Zero's infinite corner loop is boring to watch and can't be terribly exciting to play or comment on. But I wasn't around for MVC2 in its heyday so maybe this is nothing new.

Although I don't know how many fighting games have actually had banned characters, besides Smash Bros, but those games usually have about three or four viable fighters and any pro mains outside of them are stand-outs.

Team variety in Marvel 3, in the higher brackets, is pretty narrow for a game with fifty characters. It's not like it matters since the game'll eventually die out with no patches, but I think in a competitive sense, if Doom and Zero were banned it would at least force people to try some different teams. Those are just the two I see abused most often.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Uh, please ban Sentinel, Magneto, Storm and Cable because they beat the rest of the cast.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Just ban Vergil because he's not fun to watch and his level 3 x-factor comebacks are anti-hype. Lightning loops are cool tho.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I was at a con this past weekend, and the gaming hall had tons of really cool fighter enthusiasts. There was a guy with a modded piano keyboard that he'd learned to play Marvel with and it was fun playing him even though he was way better than me. He used MODOK on point and he was really good with him. Then one of the event staff came over with his pad and picked Zero, Vergil and Doom and beat the guy over and over and over with the same infinite combos every single match. The very same combos I saw people using at Justin Wong's level, building insane meter and getting Perfects while the commentators said he basically "didn't even get to play" because all three of his characters got locked into the same bullshit one at a time.

I'm not saying it would fix the balance it would just be a lot more interesting without those two or three in particular because they're so utterly predictable and dull.

Excels fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 27, 2014

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
The real answer is to stop caring so much about a lovely game.

If you watched UFGT this weekend during the character ban tournament, I think you'll find that marvel 3 with mid tier characters is still pretty boring.

Basically I don't buy the idea that banning a bunch of characters makes this game significantly more interesting.

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 27, 2014

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
Nobody is ever going to ban something because people who don't even play find it boring to watch, or else throws, minups, projectiles, oki, and everything besides mashing random normals would all be banned by this point.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Cool you've banned those three characters. Now in six months every single team will be Jill/Nova/Rocket or some poo poo and hey guess what, they'll be equally boring. There will always be a top tier and removing characters from the top of the list doesn't do a single thing to stop that.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

interrodactyl posted:

The real answer is to stop caring so much about a lovely game.

If you watched UFGT this weekend during the character ban tournament, I think you'll find that marvel 3 with mid tier characters is still pretty boring.

Basically I don't buy the idea that banning a bunch of characters makes this game significantly more interesting.

Nah, it doesn't really work like that because the character ban tournament inherently banned various characters and forced most folks to use side characters they either had no idea how to use or barely knew how to use at a truly competitive level. It's real clear nobody prepared for the tourney, which is whatever because it was a side tourney.

Remember that a minimum of 8 characters were banned at any given time- that's a lot of characters!

If you remove Vergil, Morrigan and Zero from the equation of teams suddenly you've got a pretty wide margin of characters to work with. Consider how many matchups by Morrigan by herself nullifies- it's pretty much the majority of the cast beyond a few characters! Zero is effectively the same, so whatever. By removing Vergil from teams not only do you have a huge margin to work with for third characters/DHC killing options, you also happen to remove the absolute most retarded aspect of the game in the form of Dark Vergil comebacks.

Now, getting rid of them still doesn't remove TAC infinites or the prevalence of Doom, but it goes a really long way of increasing the number of truly viable characters and teams. A clear example of this is well-known 'poo poo tier' character Spiderman. Without the top 3 characters in the game, suddenly he's actually really loving good because the only characters in the game he can't really deal with given his tools are those top 3 characters due to how well they control the airspace which he wants to move around in. Hell, even Wesker suddenly becomes really relevant again!

Yes, there's always going to be a top tier. However, the amount that the current top 4 characters limit the game is pretty severe. The margin in which they are better than other characters is pretty loving insane, and it's definitely not a stretch to put them in a true 'god tier' category when played properly. Without them there's still plenty of stupid stuff like TAC infinites, Dr. Strange raw tag FoF loops (jesus these are so loving boring to watch) and Wolverine's entire existence but none of those are even remotely close to being in the same level as the top 3 characters in the game.

I could go into specifics about key differences between everyone under Zero, Morrigan and Vergil and literally every other character in the game but I'm pretty sure you've seen me going on sometime about that poo poo or don't care so whatever.

Does this mean I support banning characters, though? Nope! I really believe it's against the spirit of fighting games and that folks should just accept a bad game as bein' bad, regardless!

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Excels posted:

I was at a con this past weekend, and the gaming hall had tons of really cool fighter enthusiasts. There was a guy with a modded piano keyboard that he'd learned to play Marvel with and it was fun playing him even though he was way better than me. He used MODOK on point and he was really good with him. Then one of the event staff came over with his pad and picked Zero, Vergil and Doom and beat the guy over and over and over with the same infinite combos every single match. The very same combos I saw people using at Justin Wong's level, building insane meter and getting Perfects while the commentators said he basically "didn't even get to play" because all three of his characters got locked into the same bullshit one at a time.

I'm not saying it would fix the balance it would just be a lot more interesting without those two or three in particular because they're so utterly predictable and dull.

The big thing you need to understand is that Marvel 3 is a mechanically broken game. Even if we ban the top 10% the next characters down are going to be just as boring because TAC infinites, busted meter gain, pro-combo anti-reset mechanics, and a bunch of other bullshit just makes it a bad game. Contrast Marvel 2, which had little in the way of character balance but was mechanically phenomenal, which made it exciting and fun even at the god tier level.

When a fighting game is busted like this, it's not worth it to ban certain characters/tactics and squeeze blood from a stone. This game is already starting to fade out; just let it die and play something else. We're spoiled for choice in 2014 and it's not like the good games of the past are suddenly unplayable, as well.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
It's been real cool seeing some small marvel 2 events at various tournaments, would be cool if it got a more stable presence again.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Do tournament results really support all the common knowledge "Marvel is broken/random/whatever" stuff? Seems to me looking at the top 8s and 16s so far this year there are 12-16 different characters used in most top 8s and 20+ in top 16s. And the results don't really seem very random, Justin, Rog, ChrisG, FChamp, Cloud, KBR and ApologyMan are in the top 5 whenever they show up and none of them even play teams that similar to each other - only Justin and Rog share point characters, Rog and ChrisG share anchors.

I'm not saying the game is awesome or predicting 10 more years, and I agree top play seems to have gotten stale, but over time it seems like more characters are becoming viable, not less. People like KBR, ApologyMan and Paradigm are good enough with mid-tier characters that they can beat any of the top-tier teams on any given day. What's boring to me at this point is watching the same top players make top 3 every time, which seems support Marvel not being random when almost none of those top players play the same team.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
The character variety is pretty good; the really boring part to watch is that the good teams boil down to get a hit -> ToD combo -> crazy hard to block incoming mixup -> ToD combo -> uno mas -> game. It's like watching Street Fighter Cammy/Viper rounds. Except the other play has half life. And can't reversal/EX on wakeup. The neutral game is really fun to watch and play, but ToD combos off anything and the ridiculous incoming setups folks have kill it for me. Bring on Ultra!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Can we go back to caring about kof13 now?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

That's why I like players like Lythero who, even though they probably wouldn't last against players like ChrisG or Wong, still use mid to lower tier characters because they wanted to play those characters specifically, not just because they're mechanically superior. Joe and Wright are also very fun to watch in action.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jeffrey posted:

Can we go back to caring about kof13 now?

We've always cared abut KoF13, just no one ever played it.

I would like to see MvC2 come back, the side tourneys for it are fun as hell and watching Justin beat that one dude so definitively was hilarious. Although with the games off of PSN and XBLA now it's probably gonna be harder for tourney organizers to put that sort of thing together, since some might not have the game on their consoles or download histories. I know that I'm not going to probably ever be able to play dudes on the IRC since I only recently got a 360 for cheap and can't buy MVC2 on the Marketplace because reasons.

Oh well, we'll always have Mahvel in some form, I suppose.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Broken Loose posted:

Contrast Marvel 2, which had little in the way of character balance but was mechanically phenomenal, which made it exciting and fun even at the god tier level.

yeah lets just pretend high tier marvel 2 didnt get boring as poo poo either

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
(The real solution to improving Marvel is to ban X-Factor)

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Race Realists posted:

yeah lets just pretend high tier marvel 2 didnt get boring as poo poo either

counterpoint, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVTdAOb54xI

mango sentinel posted:

(The real solution to improving Marvel is to ban X-Factor)

The tourney where they did this was lame as hell, it was the exact same as any other marvel 3 major only anchor vergil killed people in two combos instead and a lot of potential confirms/comebacks from low tiers didn't happen

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Would setting damage to low do anything to help the game out? Would it become more reset oriented or is meter gain so high that you would just do long rear end combos ending with level 3's for 60% (I have no idea what low dmg settings are like) health because you earn so much meter?

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Seriously? A side tourny that was to be that game's proverbial "Swan Song" in the mainstream tournament scene? THAT'S what you're going with?

you sure showed me :v:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Remember when everybody complained about sentinel? Better yet, remember when people thought this game was going to be cool?

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Omnikin posted:

Would setting damage to low do anything to help the game out? Would it become more reset oriented or is meter gain so high that you would just do long rear end combos ending with level 3's for 60% (I have no idea what low dmg settings are like) health because you earn so much meter?

It would make the games take longer and all the characters that are good would still be good. A lot of chars in the game can kill with one touch, but they have to work so much harder with weaker tools than the top dogs and that wouldn't change anything with low damage. It would probably make them better even since you'd need more hits and its way easier to hit a dude with spiral swords than with anything iron fist can do.

Marvel is just bad guys you can't save it and it never will be saved if you don't like it just play something else. Like...Marvel 2......

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
i guess i'll just post some of Lythero's videos in the thread. gently caress knows he's a (somewhat) refreshing change of pace

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 28, 2014

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Race Realists posted:

Seriously? A side tourny that was to be that game's proverbial "Swan Song" in the mainstream tournament scene? THAT'S what you're going with?

you sure showed me :v:

Did you actually watch the video, scrublord. Watch it.

The whole thing. The entire ninety minutes.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
haha, scrub.... that sick burn never gets old

I watched that match when it was streaming, so I dont get your point.

Its a poor counterpoint for the most part because it isn't even a real loving tournament. It's just a set.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Sade posted:

Did you actually watch the video, scrublord. Watch it.

The whole thing. The entire ninety minutes.

The thing is, if you're going to try and prove MvC2 isn't boring at high level, you probably want to go with a different video. Because once Neo drops Cyclops for Capcom it's basically a single player game.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I liked that one video where Cyclops came back from like 1 health and wiped out everyone, the commentator lost his poo poo. It was the pinnacle of human spirit.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The people who complain whenever ChrisG wins UMvC3 tournaments would surely enjoy watching the decade of MvC2 Justin Wong.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Excels posted:

I liked that one video where Cyclops came back from like 1 health and wiped out everyone, the commentator lost his poo poo. It was the pinnacle of human spirit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVmc5ZepdVs

The MvC2 equivalent of the Daigo-parry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjzM97rjwOs

this video is pretty fun, some great matches and good comebacks

• Locked thread