Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Comics related: Marvel Puzzle Quest, where the Dark Avengers come up against the Hulk and Thor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

WickedHate posted:

Volt in Irredeemable has a minor rant about this but I can't find the page.[/URL]

I just stared rereading that on Friday.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Senor Candle posted:

What is the deal with black heroes and electric powers?

I don't know when the Irredeemable comic came out, and I don't know what the deal is with the heroes themselves, but as far as I'm aware the observation goes back to this deleted, "overly specific" Wikipedia category. Here's what that category would probably contain if it did exist.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

robziel posted:

I just stared rereading that on Friday.

I can't remember if she appeared in this or just Incorruptible, but there was a villain named Safeword who joined up with Max Damage and renamed herself "Hate Crime" ("...because I hate crime"), and I can't find scans of her, which sucks, because I found it ridiculously funny. Those two series had some crazy dark moments with hilarious stuff mixed in every once in a while.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

qntm posted:

I don't know when the Irredeemable comic came out, and I don't know what the deal is with the heroes themselves, but as far as I'm aware the observation goes back to this deleted, "overly specific" Wikipedia category. Here's what that category would probably contain if it did exist.

Black Vulcans rant about it on Harvey Burdman Attorney at Law predates that by about 3- 4 years. It wasn't exactly a new observation then either.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Gavok posted:

If only the This Character in Panels thread was still around. Spider-Man summed up.

Deadpool Annual #2.

Someone should bring that thread back.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Why does he have Deadpool's bubbles?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Beerdeer posted:

Why does he have Deadpool's bubbles?

Because it's from the Deadpool Annual and it is Deadpool.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

prefect posted:

I can't remember if she appeared in this or just Incorruptible, but there was a villain named Safeword who joined up with Max Damage and renamed herself "Hate Crime" ("...because I hate crime"), and I can't find scans of her, which sucks, because I found it ridiculously funny. Those two series had some crazy dark moments with hilarious stuff mixed in every once in a while.

Well I did just reread Incorruptible a few weeks ago, let me see what I can find.

I feel like there was another good page where she mentions wanting to be called Hate Crime but I couldn't find it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Hisako: It’s really shameful that a killer gorilla passes as teacher here.
Wolverine: Since you do nothing but complain, aren't you shaming your ancestors?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That is really racist.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Seriously. Only Canadians get to call each other the g-word.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

WickedHate posted:

That is really racist.

Armor is one of those characters which I wish I hadn't learned more about.

"Her mutant ability is to create elaborate indestructible forcefields around her body, which is why she's called Armor."
"Oh, that's cool. Sort of like a psycho-kinetic Colossus, then?"
"They're powered by her ancestors because, y'know, she's Japanese. The more she venerates her ancestors, the stronger she is."
"Why would you create a character like that."

She's like Jubilee dialled up to 11.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
At least it ain't samurai armor.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

AnonSpore posted:

At least it ain't samurai armor.

They look like mecha. :negative:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

At least they didn't make a character who's power is to run fast black, right?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
All-New X-Factor #8: Cypher and the rest of X-Factor do a wonderful job selling a young mutant girl on the idea of joining the X-Men.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Wasn't there some black guy who got into the Olympics on a technicality of some kind and had never skied before he started his event? He was pretty awesome as I recall.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

That is really racist.
The anime version of Armor is about as generic Japanese schoolgirl as you can get.

Seriously, this could easily be a picture of Hinata from the Naruto anime.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
American writers (edit: Joss Whedon and everyone after him) get that ancestor veneration is really more of a Confucianism thing, right? As in China, not Japan. This is probably a good place for that Avengers in China cover with a bunch of anime cliches.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Didn't Wolverine just exhibit an understanding of the Japanese language out of the blue in the 80s, and was expanded by the Miller/Claremont mini?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

To be fair, he's no Night Thrasher.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

Didn't Wolverine just exhibit an understanding of the Japanese language out of the blue in the 80s, and was expanded by the Miller/Claremont mini?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Practical Demon posted:

American writers (edit: Joss Whedon and everyone after him) get that ancestor veneration is really more of a Confucianism thing, right? As in China, not Japan. This is probably a good place for that Avengers in China cover with a bunch of anime cliches.

Confucianism kinda spread through all of East Asia, which I guess contributes to the stereotyping we get.

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

Never mind the racist side of it. There are so many things jammed into one page here that I'm overloaded. He reminds me of those new superhero mash up toys they're selling that you can add various parts of different characters into one. I see Ironman, Magneto, a sentinel, Thanatos, Dr. Strange, and skis... Why do I see skis? :psyduck: Do the poles somehow puncture the air and give him a push?

Fake Edit: I can only hope that they somehow worked in a theme song of "Go ski'd racer.. Go ski'd racer.. Go" at some point.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

AnonSpore posted:

Confucianism kinda spread through all of East Asia, which I guess contributes to the stereotyping we get.

It's also something that's pretty common to many, many cultures. Romans were extremely down with ancestor worship too for example. Once nobody remembers that great-great uncle Gaius used to beat his kids a lot more than usual, wasted all the families money and was drunk 23 out of 24 hours of the day he becomes a venerated ancestor, whose example every weak-rear end, whiny, spoiled, current generation Roman should aspire to.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

DisMafugga posted:

Never mind the racist side of it. There are so many things jammed into one page here that I'm overloaded. He reminds me of those new superhero mash up toys they're selling that you can add various parts of different characters into one. I see Ironman, Magneto, a sentinel, Thanatos, Dr. Strange, and skis... Why do I see skis? :psyduck: Do the poles somehow puncture the air and give him a push?
You see COSMIC SKIS almost assuredly entirely because DC management would've told Kirby "make us a Silver Surfer type guy, except black and a soldier".

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Practical Demon posted:

Whedon may have invented Armor, but I'm pretty sure that he didn't create the "powered by ancestor worship" bit of her character.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
What is the black racer's power set? He's cosmic powered, right? What does he do?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Drifter posted:

What is the black racer's power set? He's cosmic powered, right? What does he do?

He's Death for the New Gods.

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 28, 2014

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Patrick Spens posted:

Whedon may have invented Armor, but I'm pretty sure that he didn't create the "powered by ancestor worship" bit of her character.

Nope, hell, I think he's the only write who brought that up. Now she justs pops the armor on.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
I'd like to think she only thinks it becomes stronger that way. Sorta like a mental thing instead of actually ancestor spirit power.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Schneider Heim posted:

The team's stopping over in Japan on their way back to America and when Wolverine knows the language they're all like, "I didn't know you could speak Japanese!" and he's all, "There's a lot of things you don't know about me." because I'm fairly sure this was back before Wolverine even had a first name.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

WickedHate posted:

That is really racist.

Kitty Pride is Jewish. Her father owns a bank. The strength of her phasing power is determined by proximity to money lending.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
If you will, a collage from Thor #22.

Black Widow: Flycatcher

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Avulsion posted:

You know what this character really needs to appeal to kids these days? A skateboard.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Irish Joe posted:

If you will, a collage from Thor #22.

Black Widow: Flycatcher

That's not Black Widow.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

The Biggest Jerk posted:

I'd like to think she only thinks it becomes stronger that way. Sorta like a mental thing instead of actually ancestor spirit power.

There was an issue of Amazing X-men where she's in a fight and suddenly turns into a giant mecha, and it turns out she got a power boost because her dad or someone just died in a car crash at that very instant. This leads to an issue of X-TREME X-MEN! (better than it sounds) where an evil alternate dimensional xavier was using a lobotomized Armor to try and kill the protagonists, and to give her a quick power boost he had his henchmen round up her entire family and murder them.

More dead ancestors = more mecha armor power.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Awesome.

That's definitely how you greet your friends when they don't know the language.

"What does that mean?"
"It means honoured guests!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Avulsion posted:

There was an issue of Amazing X-men where she's in a fight and suddenly turns into a giant mecha, and it turns out she got a power boost because her dad or someone just died in a car crash at that very instant. This leads to an issue of X-TREME X-MEN! (better than it sounds) where an evil alternate dimensional xavier was using a lobotomized Armor to try and kill the protagonists, and to give her a quick power boost he had his henchmen round up her entire family and murder them.

More dead ancestors = more mecha armor power.

Okay this sounds hilarious now.

• Locked thread