Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I wasn't able to get him to react with dragon breath so I'd guess that pyromancy wouldn't do anything either.

Edit: vvv Having to run back to constantly repair the things is its own brand of annoying. Then again at least it offsets the idiotic max HP loss on death, so it's just a lesser of two evils sort of thing I guess. :(

Cyberventurer fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
If you're really that bummed about getting invaded why not just throw on a ring of life protection as soon as you get the invasion message? That's what seemingly every person I invade does, at this point I'm actually surprised when I don't hear the ring breaking noise when I take somebody down. At most you'll be out 3000 souls, which isn't really anything unless you're trying to stay low level for invasion purposes (hurr).

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

AndroidHub posted:

At most you'll be out 3000 souls, which isn't really anything unless you're trying to stay low level for invasion purposes (hurr).

SL has nothing to do with invasions though, and losing souls does not subtract them from your SM.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

AndroidHub posted:

If you're really that bummed about getting invaded why not just throw on a ring of life protection as soon as you get the invasion message? That's what seemingly every person I invade does, at this point I'm actually surprised when I don't hear the ring breaking noise when I take somebody down. At most you'll be out 3000 souls, which isn't really anything unless you're trying to stay low level for invasion purposes (hurr).

poo poo, I wear a ring of life protection 10000% of the time.

It is a condom for living

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

Actually, can you piss off Agadyne by using accidentally using pyromancies somewhat near him as a phantom? Because either I did that once or the host had already pissed him off and I don't know if I should feel guilty about it while also proud because I discovered a fantastic new method of trolling hosts.

I was the 2nd phantom to a host where the other phantom attacked Agadyne's grave warden guards as soon as we were in the room... It's a bit less passive but gets the same result.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

I mean it's bad, but it could be worse, so if you think about it, it's not actually bad.

It honestly doesn't seem bad at all when compared to other games. I've had much worse lag in most shooters I've played (and connection errors in Battlefield :argh:). It's definitely frustrating but latency is universal.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

VodeAndreas posted:

I was the 2nd phantom to a host where the other phantom attacked Agadyne's grave warden guards as soon as we were in the room... It's a bit less passive but gets the same result.

It wasn't until my second playthrough that I realized the guards weren't hostile by default. Before that it was lightning spears all the time when I entered the room. Agdayne is remarkably chill about me murdering his bros, but I guess when you have his attitude towards death it makes sense.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

poo poo, I wear a ring of life protection 10000% of the time.

It is a condom for living

I'll toss one on when thing look dire and I've got more then 15000 souls.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I'm now at 26 runs for the Shadow helm and legs. :shepicide: I'm done farming for it since it's killing my will to continue playing the game. That being said, tying armor pieces to very, very specific mobs like that is silly as all hell.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

SirDan3k posted:

I'll toss one on when thing look dire and I've got more then 15000 souls.

I stick mine on when I die and have 200k+ souls on the line.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cowcaster posted:

The game's netcode is poo poo dude, regardless of what IP you have. I mean, these are quotes from the guy defending the multiplayer:

I mean jesus can you possibly lower your standards for netcode any more that you have to argue that this poo poo being normal is not bad?

PvP is pretty much totally lag free for me 90% of the time and I PvP a lot. I am forced to assume that I am a witch. Hail Satan.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

what's the easiest way to farm for Petrified Dragon Bones and Twinkling Titanite?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cardboard Box posted:

what's the easiest way to farm for Petrified Dragon Bones and Twinkling Titanite?

Dragon Acolytes behind paintings, etc. in Aldia's Keep for bones (easy access from the hidden bonfire), humanoids in Shrine of Amana for twinkling (easy farming spot right before the third bonfire).

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

cool, thanks. just need to get to those places again on NG+ but I'm close.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If you're grinding a boss's adds for their drops, I'd recommend quitting out if it goes poorly rather than using the Bones/ the Feather. Haven't tried it recently, but quitting will spit you out on the fog door, whereas Feathering will spit you out at a bonfire. Also, the Prisoner's chest-set offers a bonus to itemfind, which I always loving forget about. You can also ascetic the Gargoyles for the Covetous Gold +2, if you just gotta have that set.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Are you sure it wasn't an npc?

I'm sure this Navlaan fella is just an rear end in a top hat, crushed red eyed orbing everywhere. :argh:

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
STOP TOUCHING THE BELLS

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cardboard Box posted:

Hunt down the geckos in Dragon Aerie. They drop a large amount of both of those materials.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Wow, the game just kinda stops, huh. Also the only time I got invaded all this time was a guy named Jesus who died before I ever saw him, was kinda hoping to get to do some non-rat pvp.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Hunt down the geckos in Dragon Aerie. They drop a large amount of both of those materials.

yeah I did all that the first runthrough and I'll do it again but hunting them down is too much work for me to want to farm :v:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

axelsoar posted:

Wow, the game just kinda stops, huh. Also the only time I got invaded all this time was a guy named Jesus who died before I ever saw him, was kinda hoping to get to do some non-rat pvp.
He'll be back in a couple of days

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
double post

Koala Cola fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 28, 2014

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

Nahxela posted:

He'll be back in a couple of days

heh

Jamfrost posted:

I stick mine on when I die and have 200k+ souls on the line.

Are you saying that if you die without collecting your bloodstain with the ring of life protection your stain won't disappear and you can collect the souls from the original death?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

yep. it's because you're not creating a new bloodstain if you die again with the ring on.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Kaldaris posted:

STOP TOUCHING THE BELLS

MAKE ME

RING RING RING RING RING RING RING RING

being able to rering bells is pretty rad.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So what are some good bonfires to use Bonfire Ascetics on? I've already done one for Skeleton Lords and Scorpioness since I'm a hexer and wanted the rings.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 08:55 on May 28, 2014

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I'm now using a guide to hit all the places I missed in my first play-through, and I just had a very odd encounter with a ratbro in grave of saints. The very first time though in the very first room I get sucked into someone's world, I saw him at the end of the hallway you get summoned into, looked to be a caster. We exchanged pleasantries through waves and HELLOs, and he slowly backed into the next room. I fought my way through the rats all while keeping an eye on him, he never really engaged until I cleared the room, he threw some spells, dodged my pyromancies, and backed into the nest room. I again killed the rats and we squared off... until he backed slowly into the next room. I figured he would not let me close and fight since he was lighter/faster than I was, and I just decided to make slow progress through this place I have never been in (and it is risk free since I was a phantom). He then stops, and points at the exit to the room, which seemed to be a raised drawbridge. I was kinda confused at this point since he stopped making any attempt to attack me, and he then left the room. I stared at the blocked exit, looking around for a switch or something when it suddenly lowered on it's own. He dropped down and continued to walk ahead, leading me to the fog door and waved me on. I then beat the boss on the first try, holy gently caress is he easier than the other rat boss.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

-Blackadder- posted:

So what are some good bonfires to use Bonfire Ascetics on? I've already done one for Skeleton Lords and Scorpioness since I'm a hexer and wanted the rings.

First one in the Black Gulch lets you get an extra Giant Soul for Vendrick (assuming you aren't going to kill a certain optional boss).

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Whew! survived my first double invade in Belfry Sol, then got lost with no idea where the hell I go and I died to the second double invade. Will blue cops help me here If I am way of the blue?

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
God this game kicks my rear end so much. I keep dying all the time and I'm like two hours into it. What a way to unwind after a long day!

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Ledenko posted:

God this game kicks my rear end so much. I keep dying all the time and I'm like two hours into it. What a way to unwind after a long day!

you'll get used to it. I actually think the first area is among the hardest in the game for some reason. the enemies are really basic but something about their attacks always seems to trip me up, especially the guys with the shields.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

-Blackadder- posted:

Giant lord bonfire for as many souls and 2 twinkling titanite as you want to repeat it.
Shaded woods fork in the road if you're into that Gowers ring.

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?

Cardboard Box posted:

something about their attacks always seems to trip me up, especially the guys with the shields.
I feel like this game is significantly worse at making it clear whether or not an enemy is considered to be blocking than DS1 was, especially with those shield soldiers. I was never surprised by one of my attacks bouncing back in DS1.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Cardboard Box posted:

you'll get used to it. I actually think the first area is among the hardest in the game for some reason. the enemies are really basic but something about their attacks always seems to trip me up, especially the guys with the shields.

That would explain why there are bloodstains EVERYWHERE

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
The shield soldiers in FoFG were mentioned a couple of pages back and everyone seems to agree there's something off about them. Their animation, probably. They seem able to do these big, slow attacks where they pull their shields back and ostensibly leave themselves exposed... but if you try to hit them when they're doing it, your attack will bounce anyway and then you get stabbed in the face with a combo too fast to get out of without high poise.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Undead purgatory respawns the chariot which gives you the +2 Chloranthy ring, Undead ditch in the Crypt Respawns Velstadt who gives you the royal soldier ring +2. Kings gate can supposedly spawn the double pursuer fight in the Drangleic Castle throne room (the one behind Wellegar) though I've heard conflicting reports and have yet to try it myself. LGK will drop the Steel protection ring at intensity 2, and Mytha will drop the silver serpent +2 but those are somewhat niche.

e: the double pursuers will drop the Ring of Blades +2, forgot to mention that bit...

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 28, 2014

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

another thing is that almost all the enemies there have 100% tracking with the player, like no matter how much you try to circle around they will always be directly facing you. that seems really weird for the very first enemies in the game.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
There isn't a single enemy in the game that is more hosed up than the loving.... blobdog things in the gutter. They don't even *have* hitboxes or delay. Their attack comes out like a loving monastery scimitar parry.

I like... don't understand how they function. I'll block through their actual bite but take damage afterward. I'll adjust to block it later and take damage instantly. So I'll step off to the side away from their mouth, and still take damage before their animation even comes out.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I refuse to deal with those dogs any other way than ranged weapons or magic. There is like no safe place to stand around them, and you might not even notice when you get hit because it seems the damage just sort of appears on your lifebar without making a noise or showing a hit animation or anything. poo poo's hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

A few enemies have issues with attacks that deal damage the instant they start to do the attack instead of at a certain point in the animation. Basically when they do the attack, then the moment it starts the game checks if you're in range and hits you with it, instead of whenever you actually should get hit. It means you can randomly get hurt in the middle of your stagger combo or practically as the enemy is dying.

The blobdogs and turbo spiders do it, and I'm told the shadow birds next to NG+ Flexile Sentry do too though I haven't done NG+ so I don't know.