Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Viconia was supposed to be a loving werewolf, but it was scrapped even before coding any of this stuff, and thank god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

You have to survive a drow teleport hit squad with viconia. That's about it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Ahahaha. Nothing, nothing has made me laugh quite so much in this game as attacking the chickens in Umar Hills (guy wouldn't just sell me the jewel chicken for whatever reason), having the chickens go hostile and Anomen chasing the last one through the hills with his mace. "FOR THE ORDER!"

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 26, 2014

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

So after getting Jan's quest and telling him to go home, he doesn't appear to be anywhere in his house like he said he would be. Am I missing something or is it a bug? If so, it doesn't appear he's going to come back and I'm out of thieves I haven't hired yet (so they're all going to be way behind in levels). And I imagine his equipment is gone. Sigh.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

So after getting Jan's quest and telling him to go home, he doesn't appear to be anywhere in his house like he said he would be. Am I missing something or is it a bug? If so, it doesn't appear he's going to come back and I'm out of thieves I haven't hired yet (so they're all going to be way behind in levels). And I imagine his equipment is gone. Sigh.

If you didn't outright tell him to shove off he should appear at his house eventually, but not immediately. You can try advancing the time with Ctrl+T, if he still doesn't show up after 12 or so days it's a bug.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I'm barely past the starting dungeon in BG2 and already totally overwhelmed by the number of spells available. I feel like I'm just picking things haphazardly, especially since most encounters are "novel" (as in it involves new types of enemies) so I don't really know what strategies work with that, especially since a book change requires resting. Is there any way I can make it over that hump?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

There are a few spells that will generally work for everything. Magic Missile will, Chromatic Orb will. Pretty much any of those "Shoot it and the other guy will take damage" things. You'll probably want Identify just to save your money from having to do it at shops.

I'm playing a Sorcerer for the first time and it's kind of fun to finally get some use out of all these spells I never bothered with, like Polymorph Other. That gets a lot better when you can chuck it a bunch of times until it works.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/SpellsReference/Main.htm

Here's a general breakdown of arcane and divine spells that might be of some use to you.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Bouchacha posted:

I'm barely past the starting dungeon in BG2 and already totally overwhelmed by the number of spells available. I feel like I'm just picking things haphazardly, especially since most encounters are "novel" (as in it involves new types of enemies) so I don't really know what strategies work with that, especially since a book change requires resting. Is there any way I can make it over that hump?

These are the spells to check out at each level for a mage:

Level 1
Magic Missile
Chromatic Orb
Identify
Find Familiar (one-off)

Level 2
Mirror Image
Melf's Acid Arrow
Glitterdust

Level 3
Skull Trap
Melf's Minute Meteors
Dispel Magic/Remove Magic

Level 4
Stoneskin
Minor Sequencer
Improved Invisibility

Things start to get a bit more confusing beyond here because spells become much more situational - check out what it says in the link moot the hoople posted above.
Level 5
Chaos
Breach
Spell Immunity (immunity to Abjuration is v. useful against Liches)
Lower Resistance

Level 6
True Sight
Improved Haste
Mislead
Contingency

Level 7
Mordenkainen's Sword (far and away the best summon in the game, other than Planetar)
Project Image
Limited Wish
Spell Sequencer

Level 8
Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting
Spell Trigger

Level 9
Chain Contingency
Time Stop
Wish

High Level Abilities:
Summon Planetar
Improved Alacrity

Clerics/Druids I think are a bit easier as all the buffs and heals are good.

Spells not to miss on a Cleric are Remove Fear (level 1 - cast this before every fight, seriously), Holy Smite (level 3), Chaotic Commands (level 5 - once you get enough level 5 spells cast this on the whole party before any fight with a magic user), True Sight (also level 5) and Aerial Servant (level 6).

On a Druid don't overlook Insect Plague and Iron Skins (both level 5), Conjure Fire Elemental (level 6) and Nature's Beauty (level 7)

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

You forgot Simulacrum, the most broken spell in the game.

"Here, have 60-70% of your prepared spells on a summon for the cost of one level 8 slot. That sounds balanced!"

Oh, and it's baby version, Project Image. Which gives you 100% of your spellbook for free at the cost of a level 7 slot, with the downside of being venerable to True Sight.

Edit: Oh and for some drat reason they both gain your full set of items and can use them. So just drop a Prot Magic scroll in an item slot and go nuts!

Editedit: Or for more fun, load three Projections into a Chain Contingency and set the trigger to "helpless," since casting PI puts your caster into a Hold it'll trigger the CC and *BOOM* You now have four copies of your primary Mage, each with full and independent access to to his spell library.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 09:23 on May 28, 2014

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Project Image on a mage/thief of any variety: :dogstare:

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Eh, spell selection depends on the character. Is it your main spell slinger or more of a utility wizard? There are spells that are great in a pinch but should never be picked by a sorcerer, like say a lot of the non-self protection (fire, acid, energy, etc.) spells. It also depends on how far you are in the game, or what game you're in. The level 1 spell sleep absolutely dominates early BG1 but is completely useless after that. Finally, I'd say it also largely depends on your style of play. Do you often make adjustments to your spellbook or not? Do you like making things explode or do you prefer to make fights easier for your party members by buffing them/debuffing the enemy? I'm not much of a fan of artillery mages most of the time so, for example, I'll often go for slow/haste at level 3 over fireball (that, and wands of fire accomplish the same thing anyway). Sorcerers are great here if you're ambivalent because, assuming a careful spell selection, they can do both things as the need arises without having to constantly adjust their spellbook.

That said here are the wizard spells I usually have at least 1 cast of memorized no matter what: magic missile, mirror image, slow, stoneskin, breach, improved haste, project image, horrid wilting, improved alacrity, summon planetar, dragon's breath.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Well, from 4875000 character XP onwards Mr I Always Know Three Level Nine Spells :v:

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Skippy McPants posted:

You forgot Simulacrum, the most broken spell in the game.

"Here, have 60-70% of your prepared spells on a summon for the cost of one level 8 slot. That sounds balanced!"

Oh, and it's baby version, Project Image. Which gives you 100% of your spellbook for free at the cost of a level 7 slot, with the downside of being venerable to True Sight.

I think Project Image can no longer cast spells in EE (can someone with access to game right now verify?)

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

kujeger posted:

I think Project Image can no longer cast spells in EE (can someone with access to game right now verify?)

It can. Beamdog themselfs have said that they aren't even allowed to rebalance stuff, unless that balancing happens because through fixing a bug.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I retooled the Slayer Test Area to be activated by a brand new dream instead of some lazy bullshit :shobon: downloadable here.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Thanks for the spell info, it's been really useful. Is it worth installing scripts that are meant to cast day-long spells after rest?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Suspicious posted:

All romances suck. Viconia is a bitch. Aerie is a traumatized child. Jaheira is bossy and has serious issues re: her recently deceased husband. Anomen is straight out of a really bad romance novel.

Viconia is awesome and second only to Jan in being the best character in the game :colbert:

^^^ I used that my last playthrough and it significantly lowers the challenge of the game if you're like me and lazy as gently caress when it comes to rebuffing after resting normally

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Not even my rampant Grey DeLisle fanboyism can overcome how loving bad Viconia is.

Jaheira owns though, this is a fact. :colbert:

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

If by "owns" you mean "lies in a pool of her own blood within 10 minutes of a new game due to being an insufferable oval office" then yeah, I agree :v:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Just play a Wild Mage, cast improved chaos shield/improved alacrity/ and then spam dragon's breaths via nahals and laugh as you chain gun like seven level 10 spells on enemies in about five seconds.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Jaheira is the most tolerable but holy poo poo that romance is interminable. She's always in my party (good or evil) because of how stupidly useful she is but I rarely bother with the romance because I just want the Harper subplot to unfold and get her OP amulet before the heat death of the universe.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

MrTheDevious posted:

If by "owns" you mean "Never gets out of her cage in the first dungeon" then yeah, I agree :v:
As a bonus, trying to summon her in ToB if you pulled this will have her try and kill you.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

As a bonus, trying to summon her in ToB if you pulled this will have her try and kill you.

It is hilarious that they took this into account.

MrTheDevious posted:

If by "owns" you mean "lies in a pool of her own blood within 10 minutes of a new game due to being an insufferable oval office" then yeah, I agree :v:

That seems like a bit of an overreaction!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Suspicious posted:

Jaheira is the most tolerable but holy poo poo that romance is interminable. She's always in my party (good or evil) because of how stupidly useful she is but I rarely bother with the romance because I just want the Harper subplot to unfold and get her OP amulet before the heat death of the universe.

I just got it (standing in front of Firekriegg's dungeon is an odd place for "Elmister" to show up, after completing every single chapter 2 quest) - what's so overpowered about it?

I want to rescue Imoen and have her join my party till ToB, but I can't decide who to drop. I'm a FMT, and have Dorn, Har'Dalies, Viconia, Jaheria and Wacky Wildmage. Har'Dalies seems the weak link, but I don't think I can survive having to micromanage another spellcaster :(

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Comstar posted:

I just got it (standing in front of Firekriegg's dungeon is an odd place for "Elmister" to show up, after completing every single chapter 2 quest) - what's so overpowered about it?

I want to rescue Imoen and have her join my party till ToB, but I can't decide who to drop. I'm a FMT, and have Dorn, Har'Dalies, Viconia, Jaheria and Wacky Wildmage. Har'Dalies seems the weak link, but I don't think I can survive having to micromanage another spellcaster :(

Wacky Wildmage is awful, you know what you must do.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

Wacky Wildmage is awful, you know what you must do.

Leave her in a pool of her own blood?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Is there a Project Eternity thread, and if so, where can I find it?

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
This-a-way.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Thank you very much!

Also just got done with my replay of Neverwinter Nights, and though it runs terribly on modern systems I still love it and wish they would do an HD remake.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Bouchacha posted:

Thanks for the spell info, it's been really useful. Is it worth installing scripts that are meant to cast day-long spells after rest?

Up to you, theyre useful but I always feel like I'm cheating if I use them. Most of the challenge in BG is in how much you preparation you do - most fights are won or lost based on the extent to which you prepare for them rather than how well you execute them, particularly later in the game.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

They never did fix the speed of the Jaheira romance in the Enhanced Edition. I finished the Anomen romance (Don't ask) with half of Chapter 2 finished, but Jaheira's romance was only 2/3rds done by the time I was outside Suldanesser with every sidequest done. Thank god for console commands.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
^^^
The Jaheira romance fix was never about speed aside for making Terminsel appear within a reasonable time frame after the romance is finished (by default it was stupidly long), some event triggers were wonky and there was one in particular that would flat out break the game.

The reason it still takes so long is... there are a *lot* of events in Jaheira's romance. Anomen has 20 events. Jaheira? 38.

Comstar posted:

+5 bonus to saves against spell is so awesome it cannot be overstated. Almost all of the nastiest save-or-else stuff in the game is a save vs. spell.

I often run Jaheira with a full plate and a ring of protection +2 for a cumulative AC of -1 (which is less than the -2 or -3 AC armors you find later) because saves are that much more important, and save vs. spell is the most important of all.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

fong posted:

Up to you, theyre useful but I always feel like I'm cheating if I use them. Most of the challenge in BG is in how much you preparation you do - most fights are won or lost based on the extent to which you prepare for them rather than how well you execute them, particularly later in the game.

If it address tedious spellcasting that's cool, I can take care of the rest. What's the recommendation for scripts?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Psh, how could anyone hate Neera?

"Once upon a time there was a man who, despite being cursed by the heritage of the Lord of Murder himself, achieved redemption by wandering the countryside killing hundreds of gibberlings, wolves, dopplegangers, men, women, his brother...I'm stopping this story now."

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

DeathChicken posted:

When fighting some random orks in a dungeon, she somehow turned her Strength stat to 5, and lost the ability to move (she could only carry 20 pounds). The rest of the party walked off and didn't notice. I really wish there was some party byplay when he wild surges go crazy.

I think I'm just going to dump the Bard and put up with too many mages instead.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DeathChicken posted:

"Once upon a time there was a man who, despite being cursed by the heritage of the Lord of Murder himself, achieved redemption by wandering the countryside killing hundreds of gibberlings, wolves, dopplegangers, men, women, his brother...I'm stopping this story now."

I could see hating her personality but Wild Mages are perhaps the most powerful class in the game by TOB. She'll put even Aerie to shame.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Bouchacha posted:

If it address tedious spellcasting that's cool, I can take care of the rest. What's the recommendation for scripts?

Don't really know as I haven't used them for ages. I think SCS has some? Be careful of the other components though, its not a mod for beginners.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

They never did fix the speed of the Jaheira romance in the Enhanced Edition. I finished the Anomen romance (Don't ask) with half of Chapter 2 finished, but Jaheira's romance was only 2/3rds done by the time I was outside Suldanesser with every sidequest done. Thank god for console commands.

They actually did accelerate it. 2/3rds done by Suldanesselar is a marked improvement. I know because I pretty much default to the Jaheira romance so I have plenty of runs of the game for comparison. :v:

I specifically remember thinking "drat this is much faster" during my run of the EE

DeathChicken posted:

Her voice acting is like a stiletto making love to my ear. Still not terrible enough to murder but definitely terrible enough for a good old fashioned Amish shun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Am I remembering incorrectly, or did anyone ever make changes to the Anomen romance? I thought I read that it originally wasn't that great but someone (either a mod or an EE) made it better. But for the life of me I can't remember.