Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Ferrinus has pointed out to me that you could also use Life **** to actually transform your body into Mana, obviating the need for Forces *** invisibility. That would open you up to taking damage from being oblated or turned into tass if you hung around too long in a Hallow, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Traveling through ley lines without some sort of protection seems like it would, I dunno, immolate you in supernal power or something.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Cabbit posted:

Traveling through ley lines without some sort of protection seems like it would, I dunno, immolate you in supernal power or something.

And if a Mage with some Prime can get into the network of ley lines, what else can get in there? What might be native there?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

gtrmp posted:

Revelations of the Dark Mother (sigh)
Go on :crossarms: I remember skimming it and there was some Lilith-based religion about, like, sadomasochism, basically, and they're really secretive and everyone wants to wipe them out for no real reason.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Pope Guilty posted:

And if a Mage with some Prime can get into the network of ley lines, what else can get in there? What might be native there?

I can tell you this much: it would DEFINITELY be an act of hubris to try to find out.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Ferrinus posted:

I can tell you this much: it would DEFINITELY be an act of hubris to try to find out.

Yeah, but so is peeing standing up.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I'm still really mad at myself for using that paraphrased Zakharov quote on the last page when it would've been so perfect on this one.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

The bit in Tome of Mysteries that tells you mages basically can't interact interestingly with other supernaturals is really frustrating to read imo

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

The two ways I've talked about in how to work with Ley-verse 'spells' is to treat the Ley Line as if it were an electric current, or a river current.

You can pull from the Tellurian legacy 2nd attainment and get the teleportation spell much as like DW?'s suggestion. Nothing really interesting lives on the dragon-path itself, but getting from node or a spot on the line can help the mage find out what sort of resonance is effecting it. Importantly, this travel is two-way.

The latter way is to treat the Ley-verse as if it were a river amongst the water table; drawing the Ley-energy from the surrounding ground-water of resonance and racing towards the nodes and hallows as a relatively slow but stable flow from the 'source' to the 'pool'. You can dip yourself into the river, but by doing so you are no faster than a mage that is in twilight from a Ghost Gate, and have your own Prime-forms of creatures that live within the Ley-verse.

Either answer has its own mysteries, of course.

Little_wh0re posted:

The bit in Tome of Mysteries that tells you mages basically can't interact interestingly with other supernaturals is really frustrating to read imo

Well like as Ferrinus said, mages can and should be able to read the impact of a supernatural's abilities through the gaze of their arcana. But 'interacting interestingly', in a Awakening system sense, is just putting those interactions at the whim of the loosely-designed ritual casting system that results in mages walking around with double-digit attributes and winking entire coteries into existence. Like I've and others said before, in a game about mysteries, its more interesting to have those mysteries not be autopsied and cataloged by the system before you've ever played a game. The 'strangeness' of the other splats is a benefit.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I actually thought the specific limiters set out in Tome of Mysteries - no destroying or stealing a vampire's Vitae with an instant action the same way you could steal a mage's Mana, no magicking away another supernatural creature's inherent strengths or weaknesses, etc - are very reasonable. My gaming group actually goes a little farther:

quote:

Mage-Specific Actions: Spells can’t boost rolls made to perform oblations, scrutinize resonance, or otherwise take supernatural actions particular to the Awakened.

Supernatural Creatures: Spells can’t change the natures of vampires, werewolves, and other creatures with major supernatural templates, and can’t boost dicepools rolled for those creatures to use their powers or manage their conditions.

So you straight up can't use Mind magic to ensure or near-ensure that a werewolf always resists Death Rage, or whatever. You can use magic to shortcut such problems by altering the environment around your beneficiary, such as by deflecting sunlight away from a vampire or stripping a specific silver sword's supernatural potency away, but that's a logical outgrowth of the kind of scenery-tuning mages are great at.

We are totally cool with allowing mage spells to directly contest enemy supernatural powers, even to the extent of Prime magic able to broadly detect, reroute, or outright counter/dispel other forms of ceremonial, symbolic magic (blood sorcery, thaumaturgy, etc) but attempting to seriously gently caress with another monster's magic is just as hard as attempting to gently caress with their body and mind - your spell's Potency has to overcome any successes or whatever rolled for their power, but also separately score enough net successes over their Resolve + Power Trait resistance roll to justify the severity of whatever change you're making.

Generally, once you establish global "you need to roll this well to beat someone, and this well to BADLY beat someone" standards, you can safely back off a lot of specific, exception-based bans on interaction.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I assume that's a two-way street?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Good question. I'd actually assumed "no" because I'm a reflexive mage supremacist and while Prime gives you power over meaning and symbols (and therefore almost all ceremonial magic (though not e.g. spirit numina, vampire disciplines, etc.)) something like Cruac largely does not. Fallen world sorcery, in our game as it stands, contests Awakened magic in the straightforward "do our ends conflict? let's see who has more successes" sense, in a game where rolled successes on supernal magic are very hard to come by. Mind you, unAwakened sorcery can still potentially have broad effects like "free from all compulsions" that'd effectively dispel a huge swathe of supernal spells.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I'm a mage supremacist as an instant action, personally.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Attorney at Funk posted:

I'm a mage supremacist as an instant action, personally.

For me, it's Reflexive.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Does anyone have the list of inspirational media for nWoD Mummy that was promised to be posted on white wolf blogs, but which have been completely eaten and I can't find a related post on the very difficult navigate Onyx Path site?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Not exactly what you asked for but I recommend the first Mummy movie with Brendan Frasier (not the others), and Cloud Atlas for time-jumping plotlines (I've only read the book, not seen the movie). Memento, too. I also watched National Treasure for historical puzzle adventure ideas.

Other than that, look into stuff that matches the time period your Arisen are running around in. I've got adventures planned at Woodstock, the tail end of World War 2, and in Three-Kingdoms China, so I've been looking into Jimi Hendrix, stiff upper lips, and wuxia fiction.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Halloween Jack posted:

Go on :crossarms: I remember skimming it and there was some Lilith-based religion about, like, sadomasochism, basically, and they're really secretive and everyone wants to wipe them out for no real reason.

That's pretty much the sum of it, yeah. And for a book about a neopagan mother-goddess whose entire raison d'etre is "gently caress the patriarchy", it sure is odd that all the naked women pictured in the book (and there's a lot of them) are completely hairless from the neck down. I guess pubes were a byproduct of the Fall in the oWoD cosmology.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Pope Guilty posted:

Yeah, the thing I hate about old Mage is the tendency toward everybody but Mages being wrong and Mages having the real inside track on how things actually work and what the powerful things (God, the Triat, etc) from other lines really are.
I couldn't agree more.

GimpInBlack posted:

Ultimately, Mage is a game about Mysteries, and Mysteries are really loving boring if you already have all the answers or if you're so lost you can't even see the question.
Well, the WoD is a horror setting, and nothing shits all over horror quite like geeks wanting to explaaaiiin everything about it.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

potatocubed posted:

Not exactly what you asked for but I recommend the first Mummy movie with Brendan Frasier (not the others), and Cloud Atlas for time-jumping plotlines (I've only read the book, not seen the movie). Memento, too. I also watched National Treasure for historical puzzle adventure ideas.

Other than that, look into stuff that matches the time period your Arisen are running around in. I've got adventures planned at Woodstock, the tail end of World War 2, and in Three-Kingdoms China, so I've been looking into Jimi Hendrix, stiff upper lips, and wuxia fiction.

From the book:

Mummy Cored Book posted:

It’s common in Storytelling games to include a list of references that are good for either inspiration or continuing education on the broader topic of the game.

Given the wide variety of possible influences on a game this narratively dynamic (not to mention the fact that research references, if not the materials themselves, should be made free to the public whenever possible), we’ve decided to put our list of inspirational sources for Mummy: The Curse and its associated topics online.

Here, you can come peruse not only our inspirational references, but those of other players, and if in your researching you stumble across something cool and appropriate, come on back and introduce it for future researchers.

That’s what the Scroll is all about. Site hosting is subject to change, but you can always come back to the game blog if you need a place to start: whitewolfblogs.com/mummy.

Unfortunately, whitewolf blogs no longer exists and the Onyx Path site is a clusterfuck for archival navigation. + I don't think anyone actually posted it online anyway from my snooping around the wayback machine.

The reason I was interested was because not only is the inspirational sources section one of the best ways of understanding the overall thrust of a white wolf game, but I was interested to see if they had put down The Centurion's Empire which, while not really a great or even a good book, is one of the most Mummy books I remember reading.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

The Scroll of Ages was never released in the first place.

White Wolf!

Edit: So it seems you've already gathered that, so let me add to this post with something so it's not just white noise.

Mummy: the Curse is in the wrong World of Darkness.

It's got so many hallmarks (or weaknesses, if you prefer) of oWoD writing that the nWoD has (largely) moved on from — fiddly stats with lots of little exception cases, multiple power pools to maintain separately, frequent delivery of setting information from an in-character perspective (the most important reveal in the Storyteller's section is in the form of a series of artifact letters), an occasional tendency to waste words on self-congratulation and soliloquy.

But most of all, it feels like a work of serial fiction disguised as a game. The game is overtly designed around keeping secrets from the players, and while that's not my personal preference, I can see merits to that kind of approach and play. The game also appears designed around keeping secrets from the Storyteller — it's packed with important setting information that's only vaguely hinted at so you have to buy the sourcebooks to find out, but which have predecided answers which influence the design of the game. I'm not a hardcore toolbox booster; I like having setting details to hang my hat on. But, say, contrast with Promethean, Changeling or Demon: those are games that benefitted (or will benefit) from expansion, but which feel pretty complete and comfortable with the core alone. Or contrast with Vampire, whose setting mysteries are often set up to provide ominous implications the Storyteller can run with. Mummy's setting mysteries often don't feel set up for the Storyteller to fill in; they feel set up to sell more books.

And the ready-made sample characters are defined by keeping a home base in an elite sex club. All it's missing is a millenial tone heralding an imminent apocalypse.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 25, 2014

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

I Am Just a Box posted:

It's got so many hallmarks (or weaknesses, if you prefer) of oWoD writing that the nWoD has (largely) moved on from — fiddly stats with lots of little exception cases, multiple power pools to maintain separately, frequent delivery of setting information from an in-character perspective (the most important reveal in the Storyteller's section is in the form of a series of artifact letters), an occasional tendency to waste words on self-congratulation and soliloquy.

But most of all, it feels like a work of serial fiction disguised as a game. The game is overtly designed around keeping secrets from the players, and while that's not my personal preference, I can see merits to that kind of approach and play. The game also appears designed around keeping secrets from the Storyteller — it's packed with important setting information that's only vaguely hinted at so you have to buy the sourcebooks to find out, but which have predecided answers which influence the design of the game. I'm not a hardcore toolbox booster; I like having setting details to hang my hat on. But, say, contrast with Promethean, Changeling or Demon: those are games that benefitted (or will benefit) from expansion, but which feel pretty complete and comfortable with the core alone. Or contrast with Vampire, whose setting mysteries are often set up to provide ominous implications the Storyteller can run with. Mummy's setting mysteries often don't feel set up for the Storyteller to fill in; they feel set up to sell more books.

And the ready-made sample characters are defined by keeping a home base in an elite sex club. All it's missing is a millenial tone heralding an imminent apocalypse.

Oh god, the re-emergence of first person presentation of fluff it is the worst thing ever, I liked the direct ambiguity, when they outright state we're giving you these several options which and how many of them are true are up to you, rather than the bullshit high school UNRELIABLE NARRATOR technique.

Because what I want in an RPG is to do some deep textual analysis to comprehend the fluff.

KEEP THE loving FICTION TO THE FICTION SECTION WHERE IT CAN BE IGNORED OR WRITTEN BY GREG STOLZE.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Speaking of which, "The Seven Times Hallowed Mask" was just great.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

So I've resumed my nMage game after a multi-month break from gaming and...

<<OOC>> Malik says, "Well if he's not going to learn his lesson when I turn his gun into snakes, let's turn his pants into venomous spiders"

Oh, darling, I missed you so.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
I need a couple bits of WoD related advice, one as a player and one as a GM.

The GM one: In the quite frankly insane Methuselah level Vampire game I'm running at the moment, we just had our first combat. It went about as predictably as you'd expect, with a kill team of 5 quite heavily combat specced vampires being dusted in 4 turns by the coterie. The main problem is that this happened on a street in Central London, the most heavily surveilled city in the world, and there were plenty of witnesses to boot. This is basically a giant, potentially unsolvable Masquerade breach and I'm not 100% sure how to handle it.

Things that happened:
- The Amara Havana threw a semi truck 120 yards down the road. Fortunately, he was Obfuscated at the time, but it still happened.
- One of their assailants took a standing jump up to a second storey window
- The other assailants used Celerity to super speed around the place in public
- The big one, the Crone member of the coterie flew down in the shape of an owl, hosed a few people up and then turned into a giant cloud of smoke using Protean 5 and started moving around the street shlurping up all the blood. Aside from the Masquerade breaching part of this, it now looks to the vampire community like the coterie either are working with the Strix or they are Strix.

So, yeah, I kinda don't want the game to come grinding to a halt while we take a few sessions to resolve this issue, the coterie were just getting onto the trail of the main plot. Fortunately the gonzo factor of the game is quite high and one of the coterie has Status: Prima Invicta 5 so it's not completely out of left field for me to be able to say "Yeah, this is going to be a tough one to cover up, but it's not beyond the capabilities of the Prima and the London Domain. You've just spent a lot of political capital to get out of this one with your head, though". I'm not sure if that's a good idea, however.

The player one: I'm playing in the national Mage LARP as an Acanthus and I'm relatively new to Mage. I've got pretty good stats (Fate 4, Time 4, Space 2, Mind 2) but not a lot of player knowledge. Thus far 90% of all I seem to do is cast Postcognition, Divinations and funky dice tricks with Fate and Time to make other people screw up less. I've used a little bit of Incognito Presence as well. Clearly, for a second-degree Adept there's probably a lot more I could be doing to make myself useful, it's just I lack the knowledge as a player to exploit my capabilities. What are some of the fun/useful/powerful things a Gnosis 4 Acanthus with my spread of Arcana could do?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

are in you in IoD or something else?

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Little_wh0re posted:

are in you in IoD or something else?

IoD, yeah.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
With a lot of dots in Fate and Time you should be short-circuiting all kinds of mysteries by going straight to the end, rewinding unfavorable combat turns, creating powerful logic circuits of curses and boons to defend yourself and your friends, and combining all of that with the excellent scrying and mind-reading abilities you've picked up from the Mastigos path. Your character is the perfect spy - impeccable timing, always lucky, can read minds, and see the future, past, and present nearly anywhere. Fate even lets you circumvent the NSA problems of correlating vast amounts of evidence because you can Know which pieces fit together right away. Never late (nor are you early), never unprepared, all without any work on your part. You also get the notary-public powers of Fate. My Acanthus character in Ferrinus' long running Mage game did all kinds of stuff like that, but especially instantly solving mysteries or at least always knowing where to go to find the next clue, or basically being able to read the narrative of the game itself, made for a real utility character that could pull the rest of the party through all kinds of obstacles.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
With Status 5, i'd skip ahead a few days and say that some extensive use of dominate+blood sorcery turned that into an especially surreal terrorist attack for mortals and a Strix appearance for less in-the-know vampires, with lots of loose strings for canny investigators to tug on.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Doodmons posted:

I need a couple bits of WoD related advice, one as a player and one as a GM.

The GM one: In the quite frankly insane Methuselah level Vampire game I'm running at the moment, we just had our first combat. It went about as predictably as you'd expect, with a kill team of 5 quite heavily combat specced vampires being dusted in 4 turns by the coterie. The main problem is that this happened on a street in Central London, the most heavily surveilled city in the world, and there were plenty of witnesses to boot. This is basically a giant, potentially unsolvable Masquerade breach and I'm not 100% sure how to handle it.

None of that really happened. It was just viral marketing for an upcoming reboot of Night of the Hunter. Vampires aren't real (except in this new version of Night of the Hunter, where they're Real Scary! :drac:)

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 28, 2014

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

They showed up in the SF Vampire LARP I play in. They did a bunch of influence stuff and took over the SF Armory. Basically, kink dot com was actually run by weird pagan vampire cultists, everything remains exactly the same. We tried to play nice with them for a year or so then decided they were super creepy and weird and not Camarilla anyway, so we used misdirection to get big scary NPC monsters to kill them all.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

tatankatonk posted:

None of that really happened. It was just viral marketing for an upcoming reboot of Night of the Hunter. Vampire's aren't real (except in this new version of Night of the Hunter, where they're Real Scary! :drac:)

For bonus points: go on to produce it, make buckets of cash.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Doodmons posted:

IoD, yeah.

Pick something to be good at, master at least one of your arcana as soon as possible. The rewind time power is pretty drat good. A lot of people really like accelerate I think it's called. The time one to shunt people a few rounds into th future is pretty good as well. Don't be afraid of approvals, even if they are an enormous ballache.

Get on UK_Announce (don't actually get on it but I feel I should offically suggest it), UK_awakening and maybe your order one (the free council one is ok, I can't speak for the rest). Set them to daily digest tho unless you're a legit crazyperson, from there only read the titles unless something looks interesting.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Also, play changeling, changeling is pretty drat fun.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Mors Rattus posted:

tatankatonk posted:

None of that really happened. It was just viral marketing for an upcoming reboot of Night of the Hunter. Vampires aren't real (except in this new version of Night of the Hunter, where they're Real Scary! :drac:)
For bonus points: go on to produce it, make buckets of cash.

This is the best plan you're going to get, because it's awesome as hell.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Get fate 5 then learn Forge Godsend, that rote is disgusting and I would ban it in a heartbeat if I was in a position to

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

"Mmmm yes I'll design a spell that stacks with mage armor and subtracts successes from all damage while I'm within the parameters that I choose. Better make it cost a single mana- don't want it to be too powerful."

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

If I recall correctly, Fate 4+ also gives you license to immediately and reflectively roll a counterspell against, like, any influence that would imprison or control you in any way whatsoever?

In my game, there's an Unraveling Fate spell called "Trivialize". If it takes complete hold on a target, that target becomes, effectively, background detail - they can continue to take actions or whatever, but anything they do requires only one success on someone else's part to evade, resist, or cancel out.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Ferrinus posted:

If I recall correctly, Fate 4+ also gives you license to immediately and reflectively roll a counterspell against, like, any influence that would imprison or control you in any way whatsoever?

In my game, there's an Unraveling Fate spell called "Trivialize". If it takes complete hold on a target, that target becomes, effectively, background detail - they can continue to take actions or whatever, but anything they do requires only one success on someone else's part to evade, resist, or cancel out.

The former is the Fate 4 non-spell 'trick', but its confined to soul and mind-ish alterations plus a limited number of fate effects.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Is it too late to formally request that the Fallen World Chronicle have readable headers? I was just looking at the Awakening corebook and reminded to ask about this, for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Please keep the headers in High Speech like they are now so that they remain intelligible to the Awakened alone.

• Locked thread