Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Can someone post that ridiculous Aurin, the goofy faced goon one, I love it so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Phrasing posted:

Too bad that was the worst of the unique weapons they proposed.

Yeah, I wanted the Toaster resonators :(

Pound_Coin posted:

Can someone post that ridiculous Aurin, the goofy faced goon one, I love it so.

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 28, 2014

Destoration
Apr 30, 2012

Destoration posted:

They could have at least put a lil effort into it

Fuckit I decided we need our own blog. Now we just need the blog text and this post will be complete :getin:

(I made sure to include fancy text so we look sophisticated n poo poo.)

Destoration fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 28, 2014

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Lets just agree that violently murdering our foes indiscriminately with any object we wish is the true American Dream.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

loquacius posted:

Warrior is a weird enough class for this game -- you're in space, there are magic guns and robots, why are you using a sword, stop it -- but I especially don't understand Mechari Warriors because they are robots. Why are literal robots using swords? Like, I get that they're essentially Warforged, but Warforged have an excuse not to have guns, on account of guns not existing in D&D, and Mechari don't.

:spergin:

Unstoppable Hiatus
May 29, 2006

Stare like a junkie
Into the TV :pwn:

loquacius posted:

Warrior is a weird enough class for this game -- you're in space, there are magic guns and robots, why are you using a sword, stop it -- but I especially don't understand Mechari Warriors because they are robots. Why are literal robots using swords? Like, I get that they're essentially Warforged, but Warforged have an excuse not to have guns, on account of guns not existing in D&D, and Mechari don't.

Warrior has a fairly broad meaning, granted in MMOs it's usual synonymous with swords, shields and heavy armour. What about if Wildstar had light sabres, that would cheer you up, right?

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Unstoppable Hiatus posted:

Warrior has a fairly broad meaning, granted in MMOs it's usual synonymous with swords, shields and heavy armour. What about if Wildstar had light sabres, that would cheer you up, right?

Excuse me but do you mean "lightsaber", the beam weapon popularized in the Star Wars series of films? Or a light-weight sabre, a curved sword like those preferred by Redguards and other unsavory types?

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

:pcgaming: :pcgaming: :pcgaming:
I will be joining the NA PvP guild if possible once I get back from Europe. Playing a healer :c00lbert: not sure which one yet though.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

loquacius posted:

:thejoke:

They're perfectly fine swords, yes, as swords go, but even after all this I cannot be convinced that in a space game a sword is a thing I'd ever want to use :shrug: It's basically cartoon Firefly with cool aliens thrown in, and that means I want to use guns. What do I look like, Chiwetel Ejiofor?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Swords are dumb and make everything worse, agreed.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
So who else is worried about them doing the now cliche thing of reacting to people being annoyed about queues and opening hundreds of servers?
It feels like it happens every time but I'm sure the people who are annoyed about having to queue are less likely to quit about that and FAR more likely to pack it in because they've rolled up on a server all on their own.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Taear posted:

So who else is worried about them doing the now cliche thing of reacting to people being annoyed about queues and opening hundreds of servers?
It feels like it happens every time but I'm sure the people who are annoyed about having to queue are less likely to quit about that and FAR more likely to pack it in because they've rolled up on a server all on their own.

Cougar said yesterday on Nexus Report that aside from games with megaservers, their servers can handle way more people at once than most mmo servers do, so maybe they can avoid this. They also have character transfers in the queue, and though it wasn't quite done yet, it is apparently coming.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Inepta Lacerta posted:

Cougar said yesterday on Nexus Report that aside from games with megaservers, their servers can handle way more people at once than most mmo servers do, so maybe they can avoid this. They also have character transfers in the queue, and though it wasn't quite done yet, it is apparently coming.

launch is still going to be messy :laffo:

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Every MMO dev ever has said poo poo like that, it's all meaningless.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Isn't usually not the servers capacity themselves but the single login server that always melts down and causes the issues?

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
Orias and Ascendancy are up.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Can I just say I love how even after basically everyone agreed people were taking the sword discussion way too seriously and put it to rest for the night, a Wildstar Nite Crew came on and got mad about it all over again :allears:

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
How big is the install size?

VVV: Thanks! Looks like I don't have to delete anything to fit this on my SSD.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 12:51 on May 28, 2014

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Bedurndurn posted:

How big is the install size?

My Program Files folder is 17.1 GBs.

Of course, thanks to the magic of compression, you don't even download that. Probably more like 9-10 GB downloaded.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

loquacius posted:

Can I just say I love how even after basically everyone agreed people were taking the sword discussion way too seriously and put it to rest for the night, a Wildstar Nite Crew came on and got mad about it all over again :allears:

It's morning!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Bah, think I'm going to go Settler or Scientist after all. Explorer feels like anything but - hey, follow this predetermined waypoint to activate a linear set of predetermined platforms that you can only jump in a single predetermined manner. EXPLORATION.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

Bah, think I'm going to go Settler or Scientist after all. Explorer feels like anything but - hey, follow this predetermined waypoint to activate a linear set of predetermined platforms that you can only jump in a single predetermined manner. EXPLORATION.

It's all pretty predetermined. Paths are just meant to supplement that which you were already going to do - in my case, as an avid Explorer person, I was going to jump all over loving everything anyway, piss all over people that haven't mastered MMO parkour like I have, make dumb Lion King references as I gaze out over the cliffside, camera angled towards the rising sun.

Now I just get rewards for doing it sometimes.

If that's not your thing, then you probably already knew that beforehand.

(This isn't entirely directed at you, I'm just getting a little butt-fragile over the amount of times people have been like OH NO PATHS AREN'T AS COOL AS I THOUGHT)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm torn on Explorer. On the one hand, you really do get to find all the little secret places on the maps, which is great, but you also have to spend a nontrivial amount of time playing figure-out-which-identical-parts-of-this-giant-slope-are-too-steep-for-you-to-climb, which is something I've hated pathologically since I played Oblivion.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

loquacius posted:

I'm torn on Explorer. On the one hand, you really do get to find all the little secret places on the maps, which is great, but you also have to spend a nontrivial amount of time playing figure-out-which-identical-parts-of-this-giant-slope-are-too-steep-for-you-to-climb, which is something I've hated pathologically since I played Oblivion.

Actually, in most cases, it's just you missing the obvious path up that is usually marked by random wooden planks strewn around. Sometimes there's an interactable object that makes magic rock platforms appear for you to use.

It's even better when you find these things after coming down from where you were and realising that you weren't supposed to get up the way you did, and feeling a mixture of pride but also frustration.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah, I think I eventually figured out that if I found myself doing the whole sliding-backward-while-still-doing-your-forward-run-animation thing it meant I was trying to climb the wrong side of the mountain and should try again somewhere else, even though this angle looks totally scalable, just use your drat hands to grab on you stupid space zombie :argh:

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

It took me exactly one jumping puzzle to be reminded that controls for precision platforming, and the assiciated judging of distances and angles of walkability, usually sucks in MMOs. Wildstar proved no exception. Scientist has something of the same exploration feel though, digging through old ruins and opening doors to places even explorers cannot get, so if you like exploring, but dislike jumping puzzles, that may be for you.

Mount Desert
Jan 14, 2010

a cat on an apple posted:

Guys, don't worry. Carbine will be implementing a Queueing system for login. Please take a number and have a seat. (not serious)

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

If they were smart, they'd sneak the servers up ~30 minutes beforehand.

But then autists would cry about MY NAME and losing a chance for realm/world firsts :smith:

MMO players are the worst.

Windchilla
May 30, 2009
It's an MMO lauch, so yeah it'll be rough and poo poo will go wrong; get over it. Fortunately once we get past the inevitably rocky launch there is an actual full game here to play. Not two weeks worth of leveling with no end-game content, not a disjointed leveling experience that forces you to grind between quest hubs just to progress. This is something that no MMO in recent memery has done and is why I'm legitimately excited about playing this game.

Whether you like what the actual game has to offer is up to you, but there's a full world of gameplay here and I'm looking forward to playing it, queue or not.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Hey, at least they had the name reservation disaster as a warning, so their apologetic or explanatory tweets can be expected to be unusually refined!

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Watching nerds meltdown on launch night when things invariably break is like 50% of the reason to play an MMO at launch. The early taste with the name reservation issue was just a bonus.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Mattavist posted:

Every MMO dev ever has said poo poo like that, it's all meaningless.

Oh, I'm not disputing either of these things -- but if their servers are meant for a huge population it might still mean they'll have less servers in total than some others have launched with, which is all I was talking about. A completely smooth mmo launch is something I've yet to experience, on the other hand. :)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Windchilla posted:

Not two weeks worth of leveling with no end-game content, not a disjointed leveling experience that forces you to grind between quest hubs just to progress.

I really haven't been paying attention to this game at all, what's the average playtime for level cap? As you said, most MMO's recently have been really lovely about forcing you to grind or do other things to level. I felt like in GW2 I had to craft and do PVP lest I be stuck grinding those repeatable random events in a zone, and I hate basically everything that isn't just questing / pve :colbert: so from what I experienced in the beta where I had more quests than necessary I'm pretty excited.

Windchilla
May 30, 2009

Sab669 posted:

I really haven't been paying attention to this game at all, what's the average playtime for level cap? As you said, most MMO's recently have been really lovely about forcing you to grind or do other things to level. I felt like in GW2 I had to craft and do PVP lest I be stuck grinding those repeatable random events in a zone, and I hate basically everything that isn't just questing / pve :colbert: so from what I experienced in the beta where I had more quests than necessary I'm pretty excited.

It's in the 50-80 hours played range for your filthier-than-average poopsocker. That's really dependent on whether your doing things like leveling your path and completing zones. With an optimal leveling path mapped out I'm sure there are people able to do it in the 40-45 range, but that's doing things such as early BG queues with a group then taking that group into efficiently completing adventures and speed running dungeons.

In the latest build of the game I felt the leveling speed was in a good place. There are many different ways to gain XP and none of them feel lovely, unless you count under-level questing which is noticeably worse than same/higher level questing.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Contest Winner posted:

Watching nerds meltdown on launch night when things invariably break is like 50% of the reason to play an MMO at launch. The early taste with the name reservation issue was just a bonus.

I've been playing EverQuest back in 2001 or so and I still don't feel like stuff like CoH or WoW have matched it for sheer hosed up new releases...not until I started playing Planetside 2 where 6 hour downtimes (not even patches) would routinely turn into 9 hours. And that's another Sony-run game. Maybe that's just their thing, I never played any of their other stuff.

Anyway it positions me pretty well to feel smug about whiny nerds nowadays :v:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Smooth launches do happen! But I don't think this is going to be one of those games.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
P.S. Don't cancel weddings, funerals, anniversaries, graduations etc. to play an MMO this weekend. There is a good chance you will spend a lot of time queued up or barely able to do much due to fighting for mob/item spawns, lag and the like.

Windchilla
May 30, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Smooth launches do happen! But I don't think this is going to be one of those games.

The smoothed MMO launch I've witnessed recently was ESO, but despite good server uptime and the game being playable they had all sorts of awful problems such as: characters becoming unplayable after respecing, inventory/bank slots disappearing and taking items with them, numerous seemingly random rollbacks and instances of intermittent and disabling lag/rubberbanding.

I think the worst I may have experienced first-hand is probably a tie between Anarchy Online and Asheron's Call 2. The AC2 launch was so bad that it killed off a significant chunk of an already small launch population.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
They've already had a pretty significant beta period with a lot of people logging in and playing. I'm not really worried about launch stability. Even if there are a few hiccups I don't expect catastrophe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Windchilla posted:

I think the worst I may have experienced first-hand is probably a tie between Anarchy Online and Asheron's Call 2. The AC2 launch was so bad that it killed off a significant chunk of an already small launch population.
The best thing about the Anarchy Online launch was after they fixed it and it wasn't really any better and didn't exactly function. Some of the legendary badness of the launch experience turned out to have been entirely intentional game design.

• Locked thread