Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
I only realised today that you get free guns for doing the stuff like the Drinking Game. I got a pretty brutal shotgun from that. Apparently I've played this for about 8 hours and done around 4 story missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Are you sure its RAM or is it graphical RAM? Big difference. You could be hitting the limits of the ram onboard your graphics card, in which case you're just going to need to buy a new card, no other way to upgrade. If it is main system RAM, then there' still the question of if you're hitting a bottlneck on speed or on size. If you've filled it up, then you're thrashing to hard drive which means its gonna go slow, so getting more will speed it up. But if you aren't full on system RAM, getting more will do absolutely nothing, you'd have to get faster RAM instead.

How many things are running in the background? Try killing every program other than uPlay and Watch Dogs, (especially chrome, its a memhog)

RAM usually doesn't help with games much unless you're too low, 6-8 GB should be plenty. RAM isn't a silver bullet like some gamers seem to think. I think you either need a new GPU (most likely), a new CPU, or faster RAM before you need just more RAM total. You probably need more dedicated graphics RAM though.

Are you just setting everything to "high"? Do you know what the individual settings mean? Try putting it on custom. If the texture quality is what puts you over the edge, its probably graphics ram. Set everything to high and then turn textures to medium. And turn off SSAO completely.

I spent time checking every possible setting mixture to see the results; I have 2 Gigabytes of graphical RAM on this card, but only 6 Gigabytes of system RAM (Which caps out everytime I run the game). I should be able to run it on High Textures, unless it actively needs more than 2 gigabytes? I'm thinking of upgrading my system RAM anyway, as more games do seem to be pushing towards wanting 8 - and having some extra room is never bad.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I only realised today that you get free guns for doing the stuff like the Drinking Game. I got a pretty brutal shotgun from that. Apparently I've played this for about 8 hours and done around 4 story missions.
Bar the assault rifle an early mission makes you buy and the single-shot grenade launcher, I've just scabbed all my weapons from dead dudes.
Do a couple of gang attack things and you'll get a good set.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

How many missions do you have to do before you can get in on some invading action?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Croccers posted:

It has Move On Up by Curtis Mayfield in there. I'm not complaining.
I'm guessing the music theme is music from Chicago?

Seems like it's very region specific. Lots of Illinois bands like Ministry, Alkaline Trio, Rise Against, Smashing Pumpkins...then guys from next door in Michigan like Alice Cooper and Iggy Pop.

Forbin5
May 24, 2014

Ularg posted:

If Aiden is walking through rain with his phone out he will occasionally wipe the raindrops off his phone screen. That's a nice touch.

Didn't notice that, I love small details like this.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Junkenstein posted:

How many missions do you have to do before you can get in on some invading action?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

DopeGhoti posted:

E:

^^^

..then the phone should just die.
Yeah, taking the phone out during rain should be instant game over + deleted save game for maximum immersion. Get your poo poo together Ubisoft.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I'm 20 hours in and still on Act II, I've collected all collectibles and done all side missions I've seen. You get a lot of neat gear for doing the side stuff.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Other than the PS4 ubi servers completely broken, I kinda like it so far. I do like other folks mentioned drive from the in cockpit view.. its way more fun. I did a thing yesterday for anyone who wants to see it. I was messing with the twitch streaming for a bit. (ITS NOT GOOD) :ssh:

http://www.twitch.tv/coopplayer/b/532790227

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Ularg posted:

If Aiden is walking through rain with his phone out he will occasionally wipe the raindrops off his phone screen. That's a nice touch.

If you invade the wrong lane drivers will flash their headlights at you, that alone was an awesome touch I haven't noticed in other sandboxes with driving.

Arkanterian
Oct 1, 2013

deimos posted:

If you invade the wrong lane drivers will flash their headlights at you, that alone was an awesome touch I haven't noticed in other sandboxes with driving.

GTA4 actually had that.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yeah I'm pretty sure I saw that in many driving sandboxes.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
If you play chess on easy you can 4 move checkmate every drat time.

Also, invaded someone he figured i was chasing him and took off in a car halfway across town and for some reason just came to a stop above an underground parking garage.

I hacked him and just sat underneath him for about 90% when he ran down the ramp, i was hid in a corner, he went straight past so i ran back up the ramp and jumped in a car he'd previously scanned. 100% done. Easiest hack so far as i tend to only get about 30% before i'm caught.

Also also, driving is pretty drat easy if you just realise you cant be accelerating or breaking while trying to turn corners. Hit the brakes early, coast into the turn, and floor it on the way out. Everything else will under/oversteer depending on what you're driving.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

http://mumbrella.com.au/australia-square-evcauated-bomb-squad-called-pr-agency-sends-suspicious-package-ninemsn-229352

quote:

A PR stunt for a new video game saw the bomb squad called to Ninemsn’s offices yesterday afternoon after a black safe was delivered to the Australia Square offices of the publisher along with a “suspicious” letter which told a reporter to “check your voicemail”.

However, the reporter did not have a voicemail, and when staff tried to enter a pin code taped to the top of the safe, which was dropped off by a courier but not signed for, it started to beep but did not open, leading to fears it could be an explosive device.

Mi9 staff on the sixth floor of the George Street offices were sent home, and bomb squad officers called in to open the box in the basement of the building. Inside was a copy of new Ubisoft video game Watch Dogs alongside a baseball cap and beanie, and a note saying it was embargoed until 5pm.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I am enjoying causing car accidents by changing the stop lights too much.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Hoping this question hasn't already been answered, but I didn't see anything in the OP or past few pages. I'm having a weird audio issue with my USB headset where I get sound during the splash screens and main menu, but as soon as I load into the game, it goes silent. I've tried with two separate headsets and get the same thing on both, but my desktop speakers work fine. Any ideas?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Ubisoft are loving idiots :wtc:

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Croccers posted:

Bar the assault rifle an early mission makes you buy and the single-shot grenade launcher, I've just scabbed all my weapons from dead dudes.
Do a couple of gang attack things and you'll get a good set.

The gang fixer missions are the easiest too, just halfassedly scope the area, mess with some guards then take out everyone one-by-one with the baton, doesn't even matter if you get spotted or not. I assume the magic 'knock out anyone in a five foot radius' button is the only attack I'm supposed to use because the ambiguous as gently caress objective implied I was just supposed to beat them up, not gun them all down?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Ramadu posted:

Ubisoft are loving idiots :wtc:

Pretty sure it's some external PR firm that did this.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Seriously the more I play this game the more I like it. The driving grew on me and now I really like it. The side missions are numerous and actually really fun. The game looks freaking amazing on pc. Looks like I'll be doing the same thing I did for sleeping dogs... trying to convince people it is not a perfect sunflower but it is a whole lot of fun.

Amd users dont forget thr latest beta driver released yesterday. Improved my performance a decent percentage.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I want a watch dogs beanie :(

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
My PS4 finally decided to start connected to online hacks sometime late last night.

My first hack; I hid in a car and got an AR to the face.

My second hack; Guy was being chased by the cops. I started hacking him and hid under some stairs in a residential neighborhood. The guy ran around the house frantically for the better part of... well the entire time after he rid himself of the police. At 95% I thought I'd give him a fair run, got out and got into a police car and drove it around the house twice. At which point I reached 100% and he disappeared from my game before I could shoot him with my pistol.

I was then hacked; I located the guy running around in circles in the middle of the road. Ran over to him and profiled him while running circles with him. He ran towards a car, I threw an IED on it and as he drove away popped the car with a grenade launcher.

My third hack; In another residential neighborhood I was greeted with a low garage and a tarp covered object in the corner of where a fence met the garage. I climbed over the fence and onto the object (was unable to directly climb onto a knee high object - thanks UBI) then onto the roof of the garage. I then Ezio'd onto the house and hit in the corners of the roof. I then initiated the hack and went to poop. I came back and had succeeded my hack.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Someone at Ubisoft must really dislike Ferraris. All the Ferraris in this game have horrid handling stats for some reason.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So wait, do you not look like your goony self when you're invading? I noticed that a person i was hacking looked like a random chick whenever he was looking for me and he ran right by me as i was hiding in a group of NPC's. I suppose it's for the best that way though, since Aiden kinda stands out in the way he's dressed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Invasions are really fun times, except for when the guy is just hiding in some nook that I can't even find, those are lame. Also, I guess its usual progression bullshit, but there's a bunch of perks that would be REALLY great for helping newbies with invasions, but you only get them by being a master of invasions already. By that point you shouldn't really need those perks, kinda dumb :v: There's one that makes the area shrink faster, and there's one that lets you see what the other player looks like.

Don Lapre posted:

Yeah that's the best part of the game.

The stealth missions are the worst :smith:

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So wait, do you not look like your goony self when you're invading? I noticed that a person i was hacking looked like a random chick whenever he was looking for me and he ran right by me as i was hiding in a group of NPC's. I suppose it's for the best that way though, since Aiden kinda stands out in the way he's dressed.

Regardless of if you're invading or being invaded, YOU always appear as Aiden, and everybody else always appears as random NPCs. That way you don't know who you're after.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 28, 2014

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Correct. You'll always look like Aiden to you, but in other peoples' games, you'll look like a random NPC. Same for them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

IchGestalt posted:

I spent time checking every possible setting mixture to see the results; I have 2 Gigabytes of graphical RAM on this card, but only 6 Gigabytes of system RAM (Which caps out everytime I run the game). I should be able to run it on High Textures, unless it actively needs more than 2 gigabytes? I'm thinking of upgrading my system RAM anyway, as more games do seem to be pushing towards wanting 8 - and having some extra room is never bad.

Yeah extra room is never bad, and luckily RAM is cheap these days, so if you have a free DIMM slot then go for it. But there's a good chance the only noticeable change will be your alt+tab performance.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Palpek posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure I saw that in many driving sandboxes.

To be fair, in most sandboxes I'm too busy smashing into everything to notice. Here I'm actually avoiding cars to keep my good guy rep.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Got lucky as hell, hacked a dude half a block from a train station. I ran up onto the station and watched him run around through the tracks below searching ground level for someone parked literally right on top of his head.

And then at 93% I was looking the wrong way when a train came through :v:

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
Can you walk when invading to look more like an NPC?

Also I died while free roaming and lost a bunch of new weapons I had found from a convoy, but still had the weapons I had prior to the convoy mission. Do you lose weapon progress when you die?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MadJackMcJack posted:

To be fair, in most sandboxes I'm too busy smashing into everything to notice. Here I'm actually avoiding cars to keep my good guy rep.

Yeah, between good guy rep and not being able to do drive-by shootings, I'm causing much less chaos in this than GTA. But I kinda like it that way.

In GTA I'm a loving commando who gets the SWAT and the national guard called on him, and then hold up in some hospital and kill a few dozen before escaping on a wild chase that involves the whole city. There's a joy to the carnage, but its different.

In Watch Dogs I'm hiding between alleyways and ducking down into my car so they roll past me. The tension is nice.

I just really wish the stealth missions weren't instant-fail-restart, and I wish there wasn't so much shooting you're forced into, and I wish there were more ways to handle being spotted and returning to stealth.

Watch Dogs 2 should just go full Ghost in the Shell and let you like hack people's eyes and show them hallucinations or fake versions of yourself running away to mislead them and poo poo like that.

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Also I died while free roaming and lost a bunch of new weapons I had found from a convoy, but still had the weapons I had prior to the convoy mission. Do you lose weapon progress when you die?

Yup, running gets you spotted instantly. Invading successfully means walking slowly or standing still near other NPCs, (or hiding in some hard to reach area that nobody can find)

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Yes, the walk button is pretty important for invading dudes.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

What button is the walk button on pc?

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

Mordaedil posted:

I think this is why people keep saying he's a goon, not as in a something awful poster, but probably someone who takes his morality directly from the internet, is a bit of an anti-social outcast whom struggles with family. I mean, notice how the plot does not revolve around his wife, his daughter or anything like that, it's his niece and sister and how he is an uncle. He doesn't even have a girlfriend, being pretty much in his own little bubble world and one time he tries to be with his family he gets them in trouble and one of them die, setting up for the events of the game. Instead of the sane conclusion and leaving it to the police, he thinks nobody but he himself can handle it and starts on his vigilante street justice from reading too many comic books.

Absolutely. I feel like his character is more fleshed out than people are giving him credit for. He's just not the kind of pure psychopath people are used to in these games. He's an immature 38-year-old hacker with anti-social tendencies and a totally hypocritical moral code. He's the ultimate white knight who runs around beating up or killing people for doing the same stuff he does. Frankly, it makes perfect sense that he's still driving around in mid-priced sedans looking for trouble while listening to Screeching Weasel and The Vindictives. He probably got obsessed with computers sometime in the early 90s and never grew up from that point on.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

ScienceAndMusic posted:

What button is the walk button on pc?

Alt.

You know you can like look at the control in the menus right.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

hopterque posted:

Alt.

You know you can like look at the control in the menus right.

Not when I'm at work! But thanks, I had been wondering this for a while.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Not when I'm at work!

If you're at work then that information does you nothing, just look it up next time you play.

ScienceAndMusic posted:

But thanks, I had been wondering this for a while.

:psyduck:

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
I'd recommend setting walk to toggle as well, it kinda sucks trying to walk having to hold ALT down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Don Lapre posted:

In pursuit of someone where change lights magically summons speeding traffic its pretty awesome, but I haven't been able to really wander aimlessly screwing up the city yet.

Just to confirm that the clothing is goony as gently caress, I've had a "hey, I own that exact hoodie" moment with the wayfarer outfit.

• Locked thread