Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Maybe it's childhood nostalgia talking but Japanese pharaoh is nowhere near as cool sounding as dubbed pharaoh.

Dan Green is a better Pharaoh, definitely, but that scene just feels weak in the dub to me. They changed the music and they have the Pharaoh making little jokes as he's drawing his monster cards. I think the Japanese direction and writing for that scene is a lot more effective at getting the Pharaoh's fury across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

So according to the YGO wiki, TvTokyo is making a promo pack with this card in it. :allears:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Arc-V's still pretty fun and action duels are entirely justified now. :allears: Episode 3 was essentially Spider-man Vs Green Goblin in The Night Gwen Stacy Died.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Arc-V's still pretty fun and action duels are entirely justified now. :allears: Episode 3 was essentially Spider-man Vs Green Goblin in The Night Gwen Stacy Died.

I thought you were kidding but holy crap. That's one of the most blatant references to that story I've ever seen.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
I really love the dart green goblin kid, dude's loving ridiculous and loves it. I kept hoping this would be the wrestlers Yugioh and it simply is, the best heel is here and there's a luchador with wolverine claws in the horizon.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Just watched episodes 2 and 3 of Arc-V, and with action traps in the mix my fear of action cards being deus ex machinas is increasing. The duel designers, or whatever you call them (scenario planners, maybe?), have done cool stuff in the past, though, so I'm not hopeless about their potential. I really like the setpieces, and with action duels being what they are they should be able to make the environment into anything , which definitely has the potential to set up some awesome action scenes.

Edit: Also, I hope all the villians are this hammy.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Duel Layout writer. Singular. Hikokubo. Literally the only guy responsible in this entire franchise to write anime duels. There's slight hope that duels won't become embarrassingly bad because he won't be restrained by one kind of summoning and he won't be writing a manga at the same time (during ZeXal he was the writer of the 5D's manga)

I'm liking the Action Cards so far because they're so simple with manipulating attack points or blocking attacks, nothing too mayor beyond buying time, but this is the start, so who knows how they'll get in the future.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The thing I'm really enjoying is how fast everyone called bullshit on Yuma's pendulum summon. Usually the protaganist has broken one-of-a-kind cards and no one bats an eye at it. That being said, this show while stupid, is fun.

Can't wait to see what crazy poo poo will Yuya pull to win this one :allears:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Duel Layout writer. Singular. Hikokubo. Literally the only guy responsible in this entire franchise to write anime duels. There's slight hope that duels won't become embarrassingly bad because he won't be restrained by one kind of summoning and he won't be writing a manga at the same time (during ZeXal he was the writer of the 5D's manga)

Wow. This guy must be pretty loving creative! :drat:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Arc-V is loving dumb and I just can't get enough of it. Everything is so delightfully ridiculous. :allears:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I just dropped by to say that Mitsusada is objectively the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ06ryrTR_s (spoilers for the latest episode)

I'm still waiting for my Mitsusada spinoff show, Bushiroad.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

If he'd gone all in on Daikaiser, he would have won. He was swinging for 28k, and she had 46k defense after the Quintet Wall and extra 10k shield. If he'd put both triggers on his vanguard, that would've brought its power up to 38k. The G3 he checked brought her defense down to 36k. He would've hit for four critical and won decisively.

What sets this apart from similar situations in the past was that he didn't gently caress up.

I am curious what his deck looks like, though. Like why the hell did he have Great Daiyusha in it? If I were going to do a Great Daikaiser deck, I wouldn't waste my time with Great Daiyusha, because it doesn't gel with anything else you have in there. I'd go four Daikaiser, four Great Daikaiser, and four Shadow Kaiser. A bit top heavy, yes, but you have incentives in the form of checking a G3 letting you blow away a guard. Normally, I wouldn't use Kaizard in a deck that doesn't benefit from the vanguard being powered up, and this doesn't, but thanks to Kaiser Grader, you can help make sure you raid Daikaiser first like you should. There's always Goyusha for this kind of thing, but eating up four rearguards is far too expensive for it to be plan A.

Anyway I look forward to seeing his deck plan, because I'm sure it will be a mismatched wince-inducing pile of poo poo, like so many of the other decks.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It was said in the previous season (when Mitsusada was reversed), Great Daiyusha is his most important card. Remember Yuri's reaction to Mitsusada changing Great Daiyusha for "Reverse" Daiyusha, it made it look like Aichi removing Blaster Blade or Ren removing Blaster Dark from their decks.

It's likely he kept Great Daiyusha less for strategy and more because Great Daiyusha is his avatar. That said...I can only wonder just how many Grade 3s he's using. Something tells me that he's becoming Morikawa.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Well, Crazy Diamond IS a Dimension Police deck.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

MechaCrash posted:

If he'd gone all in on Daikaiser, he would have won. He was swinging for 28k, and she had 46k defense after the Quintet Wall and extra 10k shield. If he'd put both triggers on his vanguard, that would've brought its power up to 38k. The G3 he checked brought her defense down to 36k. He would've hit for four critical and won decisively.

What sets this apart from similar situations in the past was that he didn't gently caress up.

Anyway I look forward to seeing his deck plan, because I'm sure it will be a mismatched wince-inducing pile of poo poo, like so many of the other decks.

Let's face it, if he chose to gamble on the drive check going solely on the Great Daikaiser, the drive check would have ended on a dead note. Given that this was your obligatory "introduce new archtype" episode, he was doomed to fail from the onset.

And really, the only reason he probably had regular Daiyusha in his deck was probably due to the fact that Masami Obari's (artist for the Daikaiser stuff, all of it) studio animated all the Dimension Robo scenes. Between the trial deck (and the alt art of Daikaiser and Daiyusha shaking hands) I can kinda see why it's there in addition to the aforementioned "avatar" reasons.

Amusingly, the "official" decklists for the core cast, at least, as of the end of season 3, were pretty sound. Barring dumb things like random one offs (Blaster Blade for exmample), they're built like the ones you see at tourneys: 4 Perfect Guards (or a split between those and ugh, Quintet Walls), either 4/4 or 4/2/2 for their G3s, and a sensible balance otherwise. Hell, even the triggers are no longer rainbowed unless forced (see archtypes). Right now, Kenji's looks to be...vaguely plausible from what we were shown (Drive checks/rides/damage zone stuff): like so. Obviously need to wait for one of those magazine scans talking about it but still.

Either way, I'm really not liking what this season is offering though, between the Legion mechanic being really dumb and the plot being "we gotta find Aichi", it's hard paying attention to anyone but the side characters. I keep picking this show up on and off on random episodes.

Yosuke fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 5, 2014

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Some time this week, Kai's deck list for season 4 was released. Or at least, his deck once he stopped using the trial deck, which everybody does at first. Anyway, as expected, it is awful. You can see the poster if you go here and scroll down, but here is a handy transcription with links to the cards in question. (Edit: And something to jog your memory if you're vaguely familiar and don't want to click all the links. There are probably restrictions and conditions I'm leaving out, but it's enough to get the idea across and if you want the full text there's a link right there.)

Grade 3
4 x Seeker, Sing Saver Dragon (basically "if Legioned, CB2 and SB3 to effectively restand")
4 x Seeker, Sacred Wingal (on Legion, superior call a G2 or more Seeker)
Grade 2
4 x Full Bloom Seeker, Cedric (12k attacker)
4 x Crossbow Seeker, Gildas (on Legion, CB1 to call a Seeker)
2 x Natural Talent Seeker, Valrod (10k vanilla)
1 x Blaster Blade Seeker (Legion Mate for Sing Saver and Sacred Wingal, also on-call CB1 to kill a G2 or greater)
Grade 1
4 x Flail Seeker, Hasbasado (7k, gets +4k on the turn it's called if you're Legioned)
4 x Guardian Law Seeker, Shiron (Perfect guard)
4 x Good Faith Seeker, Cynric (10k attacker)
1 x Seeker, Tranquil Unicorn (5k, on call SB1 to give something else +5k)
1 x Glynngal Seeker (if it boosts a column with Blaster Blade Seeker and it hits, you can cycle a card and unflip a damage)
Triggers
4 x Certain Kill Seeker, Modron (critial)
4 x Seeker, Harold Breath Dragon (critical)
4 x Margal (draw, move from rearguard to soul to give something +3k)
4 x Seeker, Loving Healer (heal)

And his starter is Advance Party Seeker, File (on Legion, move to soul to call Blaster Blade Seeker)

This deck is mostly good, to be honest, close enough to be scraping against it. However, it's crap for a very simple reason, which you would notice right away if you're familiar with Sing Saver or Sacred Wingal: there is only one copy of Blaster Blade Seeker, which both of his Vanguards need to perform Legion. If he has to ride it, or he rides Sacred Wingal first and Legions with that, then he's in trouble unless he gets the Tranquil Unicorn, which has the ability of on-call, SB1 to give something else +5k. If he damage checks it, he'd better hope he gets a heal trigger so he can send it to the drop zone, so he can return it to the deck so he can Legion. And his starter's special ability is "when you Legion, send this to soul to call BBS." Which is good, but not if you only have one Blaster Blade Seeker, because then you can't call a new one since you just legioned with your only copy! Kai would be better off with Hartmy, which is a 4k starter that gets +5k on the turn you Legion. It's kind of crap, but if you only have one Blaster Blade Seeker for some reason (such as the plot), you can at least get a 9k dude for a turn. If you use Sing Saver's ability on the same turn you do the initial Legion with it, its "+5k on Legion" thing goes off twice, so it's 14k by itself.

When set 16 hits English, I already know the deck I'm going to do. It's very similar to Kai's, except actually good. The grade 3 lineup is the same, because that's solid. The grade 2 lineup would be very similar, but I'd drop one of the crossbow guys and both of the vanilla 10k guys for three more Blaster Blade Seekers. The grade 1 lineup would keep the obvious "10k if Seeker VG" guy and the mandatory four PGs, but I'd drop the soul blasting unicorn for a second Glynngal, and I'd toss out the Hasbasados for either Seeker of the Right Path, Gangalen or Sky Arrow Seeker, Lunete. Gangalen doesn't get as much power, but assuming you have a booster, it gets enough power. If you have to go without a booster for whatever reason, however, Lunete can still at least hit rearguards, although you need enough Seekers on the field. If you're Legioned, you just need one other dude, and attacking with a G1 means you're either late and desperate, or early and rushing.

I'd leave the triggers alone, but an argument could be made for either using a third critical trigger or Silent Sage, Sharon. The argument for the third critical is that if you use File's ability, you have the three soul you need to activate Sing Saver's restanding ability. The Margal argument is that if File gets whacked, you'd have to re-ride to get that third soul, but if you have Margal then it's "re-ride or call and use Margal." Plus, as a draw, if you check it then you aren't losing any net cards. The argument for Sharon is that it also can be used to get that third soul if you're desperate, it's a bigger shield if you don't need the soul, and it can provide extra offense in the form of standing an attacker.

MechaCrash fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 17, 2014

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I guess that confirms that his Blaster Blade Seeker just magically changed artworks, instead of having a BBS of each artwork (Wingal Legion and SSD Legion).

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

For those interested, the 3DS Zexal game has been confirmed for a digital-only release in North America. UK and Australia will have a physical release.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Kay Kessler posted:

For those interested, the 3DS Zexal game has been confirmed for a digital-only release in North America. UK and Australia will have a physical release.

Meh, too little, too late. A shame since the World Championship games were great time wasters (and the reason I returned to the game :v:)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Yuya's sorta becoming the Joker. :stare:
Sora's pretty rad, tho, he's got crazy rear end parkour powers.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Meh, too little, too late. A shame since the World Championship games were great time wasters (and the reason I returned to the game :v:)

It's just a single player multi-fanfic experience, what's wrong with buying it digital?
I mean, it needs to be 20 or less for me to consider it, but with ZeXal having ended two months ago, this looks like a neat way to cap it off.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 19, 2014

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Do they plan on updating the card list for the North American release? That's pretty much the 'make it or break it' on the game for me. The Japanese release went up to...what? Shadow Spectres, I think?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dexie posted:

Do they plan on updating the card list for the North American release? That's pretty much the 'make it or break it' on the game for me. The Japanese release went up to...what? Shadow Spectres, I think?

Doubtful, as far as I know they've never changed the card library on the games despite being outdated. And that's the reason I'm utterly uninterested on it. I wanna use my Nobles man! :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dexie posted:

From what I heard later card packs were sold as DLC in japan, presumably it will be the same here. :argh:

In other game related news YGOPRO released a free android version of their software a couple of weeks ago. If you have lots of time to kill check it out, it works surprisingly well despite the interface being almost exactly the same as it always was.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

From what I heard later card packs were sold as DLC in japan, presumably it will be the same here. :argh:

Isn't it free DLC though? That's how the Tag Force games did it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
By the way, Duellist Alliance will introduce a new TCG-only archetype based on Dante's Inferno.

I'm interested and baffled for that :psyduck:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Xoidanor posted:

Pretty sure there's no DLC for this.

You play ZeXal fanfics. That's all there is to it. Get hyped over Sanagi, V, IV, Kaito, Gilag and Shark forming a band if you want to.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

By the way, Duellist Alliance will introduce a new TCG-only archetype based on Dante's Inferno.

Noble Knights for the 800 series, Dante's Inferno for the 900 series.

I'm eagerly awaiting the 1000 series of packs, when we finally get an archetype based on the Canterbury Tales.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That's got nothing on Korea. They get cards based on the Lovecraft gods.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The latest episode of Vanguard had Ren lose when he had a shot at survival. Ren was at five damage, and Kai had already attacked with one of his rearguards (Ren used his only interceptor), and then attacked with his Sing Saver Dragon vanguard. He got no triggers, but he used Sing Saver's skill to ride another one from the deck and attack again. I am not sure where the Wingal Seeker came from -- the Margal that Kai used was the only card he had in hand, and the Wingal Seeker wasn't there at the start of his turn but was when he started attacking, so I don't know what's going on with that. The writers normally pay way better attention than that, because it's hard to go "hey kids these cards are awesome go buy them" if you misrepresent what they do.

Anyway, the Sing Saver was attacking for 22k, compared to Ren's Revenger, Phantom Blaster Abyss's 11k. Ren would need to guard 15k and hope Kai didn't get a trigger, and then guard another 10k to stop the Wingal Seeker, which would be boosted by Kai's File that he really needs to get rid of (but I already did that chunk of :words:). They showed us Ren's hand: he had a 10k shield and three 5k shields, plus a spare Phantom Blaster Abyss. He could have stopped it. And I'm wondering if that's a case of the writers dropping the ball or if they wanted to show us "he was swayed by Ishida and Kai's words and threw the fight so he could tell them what he could about Aichi."

Had Ren guarded (and assuming Kai got no triggers), he would have easily won: call the Phantom Blaster Abyss to the front right in front of the remaining Masquerade on the right and his perfect guard behind the vanguard. Swing with the rearguards, and if Kai guards it, swing with the vanguard, and if he somehow miracle heals out from under it, eat all three rearguards, stand, and swing again.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'd say it's pretty clear that Ren lost on purpouse. When he looks at his hand, you can very clearly see he has enough Shield to survive the round (as you pointed out), this is after Ishida's words, Ren already said he wanted to test Kai's friendship, not his power (which Ren fully knows already), and even more than that, it's clear Ren is a better player than Kai, and this is something the series has always kept as truth (apart from season 2, where Ren was suddenly weaker than Kai, probably due to the whole memory-loss thing).

Not only that, Ren seems to not care much about losing, because he already got what he wanted. Again, his goal was not winning, it was testing Kai, and Kai definitely passed said test.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

If the show had been more consistent about people not doing stupid things unless they were supposed to be doing stupid things (like in the first season when the people loving up were newbies or Morikawa), then I would've immediately thought "yep Ren threw this." I guess I should have more faith in Ren being the real King Shitwrecker in the show, lord knows Kai's gone out of his way to become unworthy of that crown. :v:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Well yeah, Link Joker was all about Kai realizing he was lagging behind Aichi and Ren, then he went evil and became incredibly good, even surpassing both said characters.

Then he went good again, and we all know what happens when an evil character becomes good, sudden loss of competence. Plus he was promoted (demoted?) from rival to main character, and this is Vanguard, so that meant an increase in loss ratio. Gaillard was somewhat expectable, Kamui surprised the hell out of me, and he definitely deserved the loss against Ren (but Ren was always better than him, so this isn't completely loss of competence, it's just that Ren is basically the best).

Still, it could be far worse. He could be Miwa. At least he only lost on-screen, Miwa didn't even get the chance to show himself losing. I honestly fear for him, he's actually done less in this arc than usual, and he's (supposedly) a main now. We have the Quatre Knights, but five heroes, and he's the only one without any sort of rivalry (he lost against Sera, but Sera is clearly concerned only with Kamui). Even moreso, he's the only one of the five without a Legion in the opening, and there's no Kagero Legion yet even in the proper card game (there's technically no Gold Paladin one either, but Percival is shown in the opening performing one, so...).

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~
WIXOSS > other card games.

Just sayin'

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Arc-V continues to be awesome. The guy that played the role of Green Goblin two episodes ago now runs a Monarch deck to beat Pendulums.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Arc-V continues to be awesome. The guy that played the role of Green Goblin two episodes ago now runs a Monarch deck to beat Pendulums.

And he acts like someone who watched a little too much Jojo.

Yeah Arc-V is pretty drat good.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

That sounds awesome. Too bad he couldn't use a Perfect Circle deck.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I'm liking Arc-V so far, I just hope that Yuya gets some variety in his deck pretty soon. I'm really hoping that he'll eventually start using his Pendulum summons to enable Fusion/Xyz/Synchro plays.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Yeah, Arc-V keeps being enjoyable. I'm actually interested in who the hell Unknown is, and Sawatari's hilarious.

Also, I find it really drat funny how they talk up Xyz Summoning as this super-hard course only elites take...and a dumbass like Yuma could do it with no problems whatsoever.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah, Arc-V keeps being enjoyable. I'm actually interested in who the hell Unknown is, and Sawatari's hilarious.

Also, I find it really drat funny how they talk up Xyz Summoning as this super-hard course only elites take...and a dumbass like Yuma could do it with no problems whatsoever.

Heh, in the last episode they talked about fusion summoning like it was some ancient forbidden art only foreigners practiced. Really looking forward to the episode where the eventual synchro duelist comes into play. :allears:

I kinda hope they keep it at everyone not using fusion, XYZ, tuning and pendulum at the same time. At least for now. The older gimmicks like ritual, union and level could use some love in the same fashion that tribute has been given it.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Xoidanor posted:

Heh, in the last episode they talked about fusion summoning like it was some ancient forbidden art only foreigners practiced. Really looking forward to the episode where the eventual synchro duelist comes into play. :allears:

Calling it: Duel Dark Age subplot.
Something terrible happened and worldwide dueling plummeted as a result, it's only now making a recovery.

The whole 'Oh my god he's summoning' thing might just be played up for drama. I hope they dial it down a bit soon since there hasnt been too much creative card play.

• Locked thread