Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
Anywhere good in the city for beef ribs? My girlfriend loves them but they're hard to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sneakymango
Apr 28, 2004

BLAMMO
I'm going to DC for the first time for a convention and am looking for the best meal I can get. I have emails into minibar and Sushi Taro. Seasonal Pantry looks interesting but a little douchey -- there are a lot of places like that in Seattle and some of them are more theater than substance. I know that sounds backwards with minibar on my list, but I'm looking to have entirely new experiences a la El Bulli (where I've not eaten) or Bocuse, Ducasse, or Georges Blanc (where I have), not just "the best 24-hour short ribs with local pygmy carrots you've ever had" etc. The night I have free is next saturday but there's only one of me. Where else should I look?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

sneakymango posted:

I'm going to DC for the first time for a convention and am looking for the best meal I can get. I have emails into minibar and Sushi Taro. Seasonal Pantry looks interesting but a little douchey -- there are a lot of places like that in Seattle and some of them are more theater than substance. I know that sounds backwards with minibar on my list, but I'm looking to have entirely new experiences a la El Bulli (where I've not eaten) or Bocuse, Ducasse, or Georges Blanc (where I have), not just "the best 24-hour short ribs with local pygmy carrots you've ever had" etc. The night I have free is next saturday but there's only one of me. Where else should I look?

Komi

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

sneakymango
Apr 28, 2004

BLAMMO
There's a seat open at minibar, but I need to confirm ASAP. Will I have a better experience at Komi?

Memories of Anthony Bourdain at minibar......

e - wow, Komi is half the price. I've never paid $400+ for dinner with pairing in the US. minibar pricing is nuts...

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

sneakymango posted:

There's a seat open at minibar, but I need to confirm ASAP. Will I have a better experience at Komi?

Memories of Anthony Bourdain at minibar......

e - wow, Komi is half the price. I've never paid $400+ for dinner with pairing in the US. minibar pricing is nuts...

Haven't eaten at minibar so I can't really compare, but the experience I had at Komi was amazing. The food isn't "groundbreaking" per se, but it's executed perfectly and the service was beyond stellar. The sommelier is a rockstar. I would be hard pressed to think of anything about that meal that could have been better.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I had a food (or maybe a wine) epiphany at Komi, would heartily recommend it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm meeting up with a friend in DC on Memorial Day for lunch. What's a good place to go that won't be packed with tourists?

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

What part of DC?

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
For what it's worth, my wife and I loved seasonal pantry, and contrary to the chef's portrayal on top chef, we didn't find him or the meal theatre or douchey. I would have suggested Minibar (never been but curious), so hope it's nice. edit: going to try for a Komi reservation in July based on this discussion

Lurchington fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 25, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Wachepti posted:

What part of DC?

We're going to be at the zoo.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Open City is nearby and pretty decent. I don't really go out anywhere Memorial Day weekend, pretty much just sit by the pool, so I'm not sure what the crowds will be like there. It's a locals type place and maybe you'll get lucky and it won't be packed.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Open City was really good the last time we went, so that should work.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Barbecue recommendations? I've been to American Ice which was tasty but has a limited menu, and my girlfriend has been to Hill Country, but that's the extent of either of our experience with barbecue in the city. Oh, and I've been to Red Hot & Blue in Arlington, but it's sort of blah and the ambiance is terrible.

Kansas City style would be awesome, if such a thing exists here!

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
Kangaroo Boxing Club in Columbia Heights is pretty good from what I remember.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Urban BBQ is a local chain.
Rocklands is another local chain.
Willard's if you're in the western extent by Dulles airport where I live.

I like all three but I like a lot of things that others say aren't good; caveat emptor.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I keep trying BBQ places in NoVA without much success. I'm generally looking for Eastern NC style, though. Rocklands does a number of things fairly well, and has good sides. Some people hate their cole slaw; I think it has fennel in it. Willard's is great and I never go because of the location. Slightly closer is Boss Hog BBQ in McLean near Total Wine. It's a really basic sort of storefront/interior (not kitschy that I recall), and the BBQ pork was a little dry. They made up for it with the quality and variety of sauces, though. They had BBQ sauces based with vinegar, tomato, mustard, or mayo, and I think maybe a few more.

I did not like the pork sandwich that I got from the Urban Bumpkin food truck.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Thanks much for the recommendations! Going to have to try some of these places out. I've heard good things about Kangaroo Boxing Club, but I've also heard it's a bit of a zoo (no pun intended).

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

kedo posted:

Thanks much for the recommendations! Going to have to try some of these places out. I've heard good things about Kangaroo Boxing Club, but I've also heard it's a bit of a zoo (no pun intended).

Yeah it's pretty crowded indoors and their outside seating is not very large but if you can go during off hours (no idea what those might be) I'm sure it'd be fine.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Best BBQ in DC by about 6 million miles is DCity Smokehouse on Florida Ave right by N Capitol Ave. It's takeout only, and lets be honest a pretty sketchy corner, and they sell out quite often by 7pm, but it's in my 'hood (well, technically it's the TC since it's south of FL) and you can get delivery via PostMates.

It's TX style, not KC though. Don't believe there's a decent KC bbq place in DC.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

ChickenArise posted:

I keep trying BBQ places in NoVA without much success. I'm generally looking for Eastern NC style, though. Rocklands does a number of things fairly well, and has good sides. Some people hate their cole slaw; I think it has fennel in it. Willard's is great and I never go because of the location. Slightly closer is Boss Hog BBQ in McLean near Total Wine. It's a really basic sort of storefront/interior (not kitschy that I recall), and the BBQ pork was a little dry. They made up for it with the quality and variety of sauces, though. They had BBQ sauces based with vinegar, tomato, mustard, or mayo, and I think maybe a few more.

I did not like the pork sandwich that I got from the Urban Bumpkin food truck.

BBQ Country in Vienna was what you seek. Closed. :( It was a local chain. The only one left is nearly an hour drive out by Warrenton, in this old, dirty truck stop. The BBQ is still excellent though and they can dunk fries and cook beans and greens with the best of 'em.

There are some good parking lot bbq stands out in loudoun county. One on 7 by a furniture store on the right as you head toward leesburg. Saturday only. There's also a truck on route 15 on the way to white's ferry.

Also I am from Reston. I waited tables at Lakeside Inn back in the 90's and I worked at Fritzbee's in the 80's.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

kedo posted:

Barbecue recommendations? I've been to American Ice which was tasty but has a limited menu, and my girlfriend has been to Hill Country, but that's the extent of either of our experience with barbecue in the city. Oh, and I've been to Red Hot & Blue in Arlington, but it's sort of blah and the ambiance is terrible.

Kansas City style would be awesome, if such a thing exists here!
FWIW, Willard's has burnt ends and they're very tasty though I've never been to KC so I couldn't personally say how authentic they are. Either way I would recommend them over the brisket or pulled pork there (which are both good, but not as good imho)

One other rec would be KBQ out in PG County, which is great but I never get to go out there.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

pr0k posted:

BBQ Country in Vienna was what you seek. Closed. :( It was a local chain. The only one left is nearly an hour drive out by Warrenton, in this old, dirty truck stop. The BBQ is still excellent though and they can dunk fries and cook beans and greens with the best of 'em.

There are some good parking lot bbq stands out in loudoun county. One on 7 by a furniture store on the right as you head toward leesburg. Saturday only. There's also a truck on route 15 on the way to white's ferry.

Also I am from Reston. I waited tables at Lakeside Inn back in the 90's and I worked at Fritzbee's in the 80's.

Hah! I was going to mention BBQ Country because I used to go to the one in Warrenton all the time when my family lived out that way and it was great. There used to be one in Centreville, too; is that closed as well?

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I think so. I googled a good bit and can't find anything other than Warrenton. Pity, really. Best carolina-style in the area bar none.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

pr0k posted:

I think so. I googled a good bit and can't find anything other than Warrenton. Pity, really. Best carolina-style in the area bar none.

This is so sad. It's like I'm better off just going to visit family friends ~4hrs away in NC. Next time I guess I should get a big bucket to-go and bring a cooler.

Inovius
Apr 7, 2010
If you happen to be near Glen Burnie, MD then Mission BBQ is pretty drat good.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
The DC area is a wasteland for good bbq.

KBQ can be good, but at times the brisket is dry and horrid. Most of the small corner take out places in the city mince their pork and if you can live with that then Hogs on the Hill is decent.

The best I have had is this trailer way north on 301 in Gambrels, i think it's called "Rusty's". Otherwise everything else is a crap shoot.

Not even bragging but my first attempt at pulled pork was better then anything I have had in a restaurant around here.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
bunnielab - honestly you need to try DCity; it really is quite good, and I've made an extensive study of BBQ since moving to the US in 2002. But apart from them you're right, it is a wasteland.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

sneakymango posted:

Komi or Little Serow (but you'd probable wait in line for 3 hours at Little Serow on a Saturday).

I did minibar with the ladyfriend last year for our birthdays (they're within a week of each others) and the food was interesting but I can't say I was actually full after eating there even after the 24 or however many "courses" we had. It was definitely more of an experience than anything else and we're glad we did it but I don't think we'll spring for it again. They were super accomadating to her eating restrictions though (vegeterian with a garlic allergy) and we got cocktails at barmini (which I love) next door after the meal.

Inovius
Apr 7, 2010

bunnielab posted:

The DC area is a wasteland for good bbq.

KBQ can be good, but at times the brisket is dry and horrid. Most of the small corner take out places in the city mince their pork and if you can live with that then Hogs on the Hill is decent.

The best I have had is this trailer way north on 301 in Gambrels, i think it's called "Rusty's". Otherwise everything else is a crap shoot.

Not even bragging but my first attempt at pulled pork was better then anything I have had in a restaurant around here.

I drive past that trailer all the time but usually i'm on my way somewhere and can't stop to try it. I might have to make a trip over there this weekend to check it out since its only 15min away.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

drgitlin posted:

Best BBQ in DC by about 6 million miles is DCity Smokehouse on Florida Ave right by N Capitol Ave. It's takeout only, and lets be honest a pretty sketchy corner, and they sell out quite often by 7pm, but it's in my 'hood (well, technically it's the TC since it's south of FL) and you can get delivery via PostMates.

It's TX style, not KC though. Don't believe there's a decent KC bbq place in DC.

DCity is really good, not too far is Mr. P's Ribs and Fish which is great but has the most confusing menu ever (it's a bunch of handwritten signs that seem to contradict each other on prices and what things come with). I also really love the Carnivore BBQ trucks, but you have to follow them to see where they'll be, but they're delicious. Rocklands is hot trash and should be avoided.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Inovius posted:

I drive past that trailer all the time but usually i'm on my way somewhere and can't stop to try it. I might have to make a trip over there this weekend to check it out since its only 15min away.

Dude, if you cant even stop to wolf down a pulled pork sandwich you might want to reexamine your priorities.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

There have been a bunch of sushi recommendations earlier in the thread, but I'm wondering if folks can recommend the nicest and absolute best sushi restaurant in the DC area? Would this be Sushi Taro? I'm making special plans for a evening with the lady friend, so I'm looking for a place with great ambiance but also fantastic food. I'm willing to spend quite a bit.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
In DC proper? I think so. If Columbia MD isn't too far for you (lol) I think they have superior food. Their ambiance isn't the best, but you could get a private room if you like and it'd be pretty posh and cozy. Or just sit at the front if your focus is on the food.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Sushi Taro is quite good, go for the tasting menu.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
this is my favorite place in DC proper, but it's not high on ambiance: http://www.yelp.com/biz/kotobuki-washington

My favorite local place in VA is Sushi Yoshi in Vienna, VA

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Hit DCity Smokehouse today. The people working there were great. The meat is awesome, definitely the best ribs and brisket I've had in ages. The sides were a real let down. The pickles though, awesome with the pulled pork.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
For any DC cooking goons, particularly those in Ward 1 (Adams Morgan, Columbia Heights, etc) who can just walk down the block, I have a surplus of the following household cookery stuffs that I will happily give you:

- Bacon fat
- Pickled lemon rind (amazing with roasted broccoli, but apparently I burn through more lemons than broccoli)

Unrelated, but I also have a surplus of Appalachian dulcimers, if any of y'all has been meaning to take up folk music. So if you need a cheap dulcimer, of free pig/lemon, PM me or email to my username at yahoo.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 8, 2014

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
I enjoy reading http://fivethirtyeight.com/ and particularly their ongoing burrito-bracket series.

Virginia and Maryland both have a representative in their respective regions:

Pedro and Vinny's, Arlington: http://www.yelp.com/biz/pedro-and-vinnys-burritos-arlington-2
Tortacos, Gaithersburg: http://www.yelp.com/biz/tortacos-gaithersburg

Surprisingly, Arlington and Alexandria combined had 4 of the 20 VORB (Value Over Replacement Burrito) scores in the south region: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-search-for-americas-best-burrito-heads-to-the-land-of-sweet-tea/

I'll have to check out a couple of these places. Despite living on Columbia Pike for ~2 years I'd never heard of Pedro and Vinny's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lurchington posted:

this is my favorite place in DC proper, but it's not high on ambiance: http://www.yelp.com/biz/kotobuki-washington

My favorite local place in VA is Sushi Yoshi in Vienna, VA

I endorse this product and/or service.

• Locked thread