Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Oh man, my first invade was the easiest ever. By the time I get to him, the dude was hiding in his car from cops, in the middle of the street. So I just stopped behind him like an NPC. After about 20 seconds, I'm nearly at 100%, he starts driving off, so I follow him. He never twigged that I was hacking him.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

I'd recommend setting walk to toggle as well, it kinda sucks trying to walk having to hold ALT down.
Is there a way to sprint on the console version? Or am I just stuck between "walk" and "lurch forward slowly"?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
R2 on the PS4

Orv
May 4, 2011

Same thing I always think: Fuuuuuck Chronicles of Riddick came out on VHS. :corsair:

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
I'm pretty sure the first person who invaded my game didn't really understand how to do it, given that they were following right behind me in a car. Like, literally bumping me, they were that close.

So obviously I killed them.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Does anyone have similar specs as me? And how well can you run the game?

i5 4670k 3.4 ghz
760 GTX
16 GB ram

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

coyo7e posted:

Is there a way to sprint on the console version? Or am I just stuck between "walk" and "lurch forward slowly"?

Right trigger, same as gas in a car. I'm pretty sure the game tells you this in the first moments, but typical gamers just press A and don't read :rolleyes:

Although when you're in some situations, like inside your own hideouts, then for some stupid reason you're forced to slow-walk and you can't sprint or anything.

NeoSeeker posted:

Does anyone have similar specs as me? And how well can you run the game?

i5 4670k 3.4 ghz
760 GTX
16 GB ram

My 2500K (OC'd to ~4.3GHZ), 660ti and 8GB RAM run the game at locked 60fps with all settings on max except SSAO and AA on 1920x1080.

Some people have been having performance problems (Some of whom I suspect don't know how to configure games on PC) so YMMV, but generally the game runs fantastically well, your box should be overkill.

Wait, are you seriously running your 4670k at stock speeds? :haw:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 28, 2014

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Remind me again where that quote is from?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Zaphod42 posted:

Right trigger, same as gas in a car. I'm pretty sure the game tells you this in the first moments, but typical gamers just press A and don't read :rolleyes:
I never saw any tips about running. And who the gently caress would assume that the weapon-fire button is their sprint? :ughh:

Derkinstacker
Dec 30, 2008

coyo7e posted:

I never saw any tips about running. And who the gently caress would assume that the weapon-fire button is their sprint? :ughh:

The first thing I did when I started was look at the control map.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

Zaphod42 posted:

If you're at work then that information does you nothing, just look it up next time you play.

:psyduck:

I read all the deadsec tips (basic tutorial stuff on the smartphone) and I never saw anything about walking so I just assumed it wasn't in game or it was just what happened when you had the profiler active.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
A couple points on the invasions thing which I found so far.

If you invade someone never ever hide in a parked car. If they find you (pretty likely after 75% and you have no way to move around in a car) there is no way you are getting out because the car starting takes so long. They will easily shoot you.

Do use the cover system which allows you to go around corners. Using that I even got one successful just running circles around my car which was parked in the middle of the street (so pretty obvious).
Another thing if you get invaded do not pull a gun out until you see him, because if you pull a gun NPCs start running, allowing them to run too. This can be used the other way around too I guess, pull it out if someone doesn't run away it might be him, but I never tried that.

Staying out of camera sight and stuff should be obvious. loving around with stuff to hack can also cause distractions, this especially works if you are using a camera to get line of sight, since they will suspect you have vision and search that general area.

Invasions are fun. Sometimes it depends a lot on the location your target is in though, if they are in a good spot your job becomes a lot easier, like in some streets you have a lot of houses, fences, lots of cars and stuff going on. But if they are in a bad spot (not much places to hide) things get tricky.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Hey Goons, I had a great time streaming with you guys yesterday so I'm back at it today!

http://www.twitch.tv/agoat944

Early-ish spoilers at first (literally just have to escape some cops) but then I'll jump into the online modes!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

So I played, then I came back from lunch, and now the game won't start from Steam.

"Failed To Start (Missing Executable)"

What the gently caress.

Update: I did a cache verify, now it says Update Paused and refuses to start.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 28, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Derkinstacker posted:

The first thing I did when I started was look at the control map.
I did as well, I saw "RT Shoot" and glossed over the other half. Like I said who the gently caress would put a Movement button on the same button as an Attack button?

But oh wait, B is free climb as well as an attack. :rolleye: These guys are loving lunatics. Why not just put the sprint and free-climb button on the same key? Like, say, some other game series from the same publisher..

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

^^^^ So that you don't jump off every loving thing that you brush by like in rear end creed. It's a good change and there has been no problems with controls.

I haven't been able to log in to uplay since the USA launch. We really do ruin everything. Also steam cant find the executable anymore.

Shadowlz fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 28, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Deviant posted:

So I played, then I came back from lunch, and now the game won't start from Steam.

What the gently caress.

Steam 101, restart steam client, if that doesn't work, verify integrity of game cache, if that doesn't work uninstall.

:rolleyes:

Update: Okay could be a network hiccup or could be a computer hiccup on your side. Try rebooting the machine and opening steam again. If that doesn't work either give it awhile or reinstall.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Deviant posted:

What the gently caress.

I've having issues too. I can get into uPlay but it wants me to re-enter my CD key and apparently thinks that I have 0 upoints or whatever they call it (I had 110 just sitting around for unlocking whatever).

I assume the main servers are loving up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shima Honnou posted:

I've having issues too. I can get into uPlay but it wants me to re-enter my CD key and apparently thinks that I have 0 upoints or whatever they call it (I had 110 just sitting around for unlocking whatever).

uPlay is the worst poo poo on earth, along with Origin and the other vendor-specific non-steam game client bullshit.

Yeah the servers have been having non stop issues since the game launched, its pretty funny but also very frustrating.

loving get your poo poo together Ubisoft. And just cancel uPlay, everybody hates it, just go pure steam.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Steam 101, restart steam client, if that doesn't work, verify integrity of game cache, if that doesn't work uninstall.

:rolleyes:

Update: Okay could be a network hiccup or could be a computer hiccup on your side. Try rebooting the machine and opening steam again. If that doesn't work either give it awhile or reinstall.

I restarted steam. I verified cache. I'm not reinstalling the drat game, because I don't have that kind of time, and I want my save files to stay.

Shima Honnou posted:

These are steam issues, not uplay.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Origin's been getting better. uPlay, not so much.

^^^ No, pretty sure it's uPlay since it keeps failing to log in and poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

^^^ Its still shittier than Steam, and it was only created in the first place so EA could dick over customers in ways that were against the steam terms of service, so that's hosed.

Deviant posted:

I restarted steam. I verified cache. I'm not reinstalling the drat game, because I don't have that kind of time, and I want my save files to stay.

You should be able to simply copy your save files so they won't be lost. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. Could be that all you need is that update, and its just not updating because steam's network is having trouble, so just wait for awhile. Waiting and reinstalling both take time. :shrug:

Damone
May 3, 2009

Deviant posted:

Nope, having the same issues and I'm just using Uplay. Definitely a hiccup on Ubisoft's end. I would give a bit.

Edit: Avast also listed the executable as harmful software... Odd.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Shima Honnou posted:

Origin's been getting better. uPlay, not so much.

^^^ No, pretty sure it's uPlay since it keeps failing to log in and poo poo.

I meant to say my issues are steam. Because I can't even launch the uplay program. But I guess.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Damone posted:

Well, it's not wrong :haw:

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Steam should probably just enforce a rule that you can't use a second launcher if you publish on steam. That why you never have to deal with buying a game on steam but now you have to use 2 loving platforms to play poo poo. If ubisoft doesn't like it, they can just take the PC sales hit or package a lite launcher instead of the entire uplay digital distribution platform.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Damone posted:

Nope, having the same issues and I'm just using Uplay. Definitely a hiccup on Ubisoft's end. I would give a bit.

:siren: Oh, that is it! The minute I turned silent mode off, Avast is flagging watch_dogs.exe as Win64:Malware-Gen.

I don't know how much to freak out about that, but that sounds important.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Deviant posted:

I meant to say my issues are steam. Because I can't even launch the uplay program. But I guess.

Maybe in honor of the release hackers are hitting Ubisoft and Valve simultaneously.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Although when you're in some situations, like inside your own hideouts, then for some stupid reason you're forced to slow-walk and you can't sprint or anything.

My 2500K (OC'd to ~4.3GHZ), 660ti and 8GB RAM run the game at locked 60fps with all settings on max except SSAO and AA on 1920x1080.

Some people have been having performance problems (Some of whom I suspect don't know how to configure games on PC) so YMMV, but generally the game runs fantastically well, your box should be overkill.

Wait, are you seriously running your 4670k at stock speeds? :haw:

I really think they did a bad job optimizing the game because you get wildly different results from people with similar specs. I've got basically the exact same setup as a friend of mine and I am getting crap stuttering issues and he's the one with the computer full of malware who has virus issues all the time and he has no stuttering or frame rate issues at all.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So on these Criminal Convoy missions.. Is there any way to "knock down" the targets except melee? I tried kneecapping one guy and it killed him, ran over one and it killed him, and there're so many enemies that the auto-aim is a liability (alongside the sketchy cover mechanic not giving me decent LOS when I pop out, so I get hit a ton of times) if I try to shoot the guards. I try to shoot the drivers but there's just so much poo poo and blowing up junction boxes and poo poo doesn't seem to do a thing to the criminals.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~

Deviant posted:

I reinstalled to a new folder path (not the x86) and my save was still there. I had just started the game so I didn't try to back the save up but when I reinstalled I saw the continue button and just went on playing. This is with cloud sync off, too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shadowlz posted:

Steam should probably just enforce a rule that you can't use a second launcher if you publish on steam. That why you never have to deal with buying a game on steam but now you have to use 2 loving platforms to play poo poo. If ubisoft doesn't like it, they can just take the PC sales hit or package a lite launcher instead of the entire uplay digital distribution platform.

Yeah, but then Valve would have to turn down a bunch of potential :tenbux: so... that's not happening apparently.

Deviant posted:

:siren: Oh, that is it! The minute I turned silent mode off, Avast is flagging watch_dogs.exe as Win64:Malware-Gen.

I don't know how much to freak out about that, but that sounds important.

Probably a false positive, but we'll see :)

Yeah we all know what avast looks like, guy.

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

I really think they did a bad job optimizing the game because you get wildly different results from people with similar specs. I've got basically the exact same setup as a friend of mine and I am getting crap stuttering issues and he's the one with the computer full of malware who has virus issues all the time and he has no stuttering or frame rate issues at all.

Have you tried turning off SSAO and AA? Have you tried turning pre-rendered frames to 1?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Probably a false positive, but we'll see :)

Well, yeah, I could easily tell Avast to stop it, but I wasn't sure I wanted to do that. :/

Edit: It stopped happening. Updated successfully. If it was even an update and not just steam taking a dump.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah we all know what avast looks like, guy.

What's the point of this, except to be a cock?

Zaphod42 posted:

Have you tried turning off SSAO and AA? Have you tried turning pre-rendered frames to 1?

How do you do this?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Edit: GODDAMN QUOTE EDIT.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Deviant posted:

Well, yeah, I could easily tell Avast to stop it, but I wasn't sure I wanted to do that. :/

I mean I've definitely had Avast false positive flag things before, it happens. Anti-virus isn't perfect. Your call if you wanna take the risk for now (maybe somebody hacked valve and their content servers delivered a virus, but if so that's gonna be one major shitstorm) or if you wanna wait for a professional to resolve avast or somebody smart to put out a checksum or a MD5 hash or something to compare.

Maybe Ubisoft pushed this themselves as ~ part of the game ~ :cheeky: (nah)

Deviant posted:

How do you do this?

Seriously?

Uh, you go to the options menu, to the video settings part, and you find the part that says "antialiasing" or "SSAO" or "occlusion" or whatever they call it and you change the value to OFF or something cheaper like FXAA.

:psyduck: No wonder console gaming is so popular.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Deviant posted:

What is the point of showing a screenshot of your shoddy antivirus? They can't even protect their own forum users.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deviant posted:

Zaphod likes the sound of his keyboard a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Seriously?

I don't recall seeing these options with that level of detail, and wasn't sure if you were using the Nvidia/AMD control panel overrides, thanks. I'd boot my game up to check, but you know.

But please, continue to be a complete rear end in a top hat about it.

• Locked thread