Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

No circular saws in this story, I'm afraid.

Not Always Right posted:

Super Friends
Grocery Store | TX, USA | At The Checkout, Awesome Customers, Top

(A group of friends of mine stop by the store where I work. As a joke all of them come to my lane to ‘make me earn my pay’ for the night. A customer with her son tries cutting them all and jumps in the front.)

Customer: “Hurry up! I’m a very important person! I have things to do.”

Me: “Ma’am, I’ll be glad to check you out before each of these gentlemen that you cut if you ask each of them what they do and honestly think that what you do is more important.”

Customer: “FINE!” *turns to Friend #1* “And what do you do?”

Friend #1: “I train soldiers at [local military base] who are willing to fight for your freedom.”

Customer: “… Oh.” *turns to Friend #2* “What about you?”

Friend #2: “I’m a firefighter.”

Customer: “… Um.” *skips Friend #3 and #4 and goes to #5* “And you?”

Friend #5: “I do cancer research.”

(The customer gives up. I proceed to checkout everyone accordingly and the customer pays and bolts out the door.)

Me: “Have I ever told you guys how proud I am to actually know you guys? Wonder why she didn’t ask [Friend #3] and [Friend #4]?”

Friend #3: “Well… she’s a waitress where I eat lunch while I’m on patrol… so she knows I’m a cop!”

Friend #4: “I… I can’t actually say!”

Friend #5: “Fine! I will! Her son came up to [Friend #4] and asked how working at [medical practice where Friend #4 is shadowing] is going. She sees him at her kid’s pediatrician!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So a Cop, a Soldier, and a Firefighter walk into a Walmart...

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Oh, yay, zug.com is back!

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

That's a joke that failed. What the hell is the issue with the kid's pediatrician's shadower? Or is there something I'm missing?

silencekit
May 1, 2014

quote:

Me: “Have I ever told you guys how proud I am to actually know you guys? Wonder why she didn’t ask [Friend #3] and [Friend #4]?”

So he is telling his friends who are all hanging out with each other what they all do for a living?

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
And then the Retail Avengers gently caress off to save the world while our Rick-Moranis-in-Ghostbusters motherfucker stands around with their thumb up their rear end.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

It works better when you imagine them in their village people uniforms.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

bringmyfishback posted:

Oh, yay, zug.com is back!

Was that the one where the guy culminated the receipt signing absurdity with Egyptian hieroglyphics? Way more effort than "lol look at the dick doodle I made".

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I love you guys, so I'm just passing this along :ohdear:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Reminds me of the same criminals also drove with their lights off at night, basically asking to be arrested to lure people into flashing lights at them, MARKING GOOD SAMARITANS FOR DEATH.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The dumbest part of that one is that the windshield looks pretty clear?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I'm a very important person

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool

Yeah, I'm sure the manager will be telling this story for years.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Because we all know getting egged just means that a potential criminal has made you his mark and is now waiting to do non-nondescript scary criminal things to you.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

motherfucker never should have come to McMuffin territory. Fuckin' EGG GANGS bitches.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I hate that story, I always here people say "I always sign Daffy Duck!" or whatever like its so zany. We get it, credit card companies don't really care what the signature looks like. I already knew this out of the gate because I don't really have a signature I just scribble out of laziness.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

92.5% is such a weirdly specific number.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
713 thumbs up!

quote:

Stop, Look, Don’t Listen
AMUSEMENT PARK | CANADA | HEALTH & BODY, THEME OF THE MONTH, TRANSPORTATION
(I am leaving work in an unmarked uniform as I have recently been promoted from security guard to dispatcher. I still often help out our employee-access gate guards as the access gate can be very busy. I’ve just left our dispatch center where I had called 911 for an ambulance shortly before. As I get to the gate, there is a non-employee who is dressed like a plumber waiting for his daughter to be brought out from our health center. I can also hear the ambulance approaching so I start providing traffic control to allow the ambulance quick access to the property.)

Me: *to an employee coming in to work* “Step to the side, please!”

(The employee continues to approach without stopping and the ambulance is now visible with its emergency lights flashing.)

Me: “Step to the side. SIR, STEP TO THE SIDE SO THE AMBULANCE CAN GET IN.”

(The employee runs forward, only stopping when the ambulance almost runs his foot over.)

Me: *stopping the employee* “Excuse me. Did you not understand me?”

Employee: “What do you mean?

Me: “Did you not hear me telling you to stop, and motioning you to stay where you were to let the ambulance in?”

Employee: “Yeah, and I f****** stopped, didn’t I?”

Me: “No, you didn’t. I’ll ask you again. Did you not understand me?”

Employee: “Yeah, well, you were saying one thing and motioning with your hands. It wasn’t very clear. Why should I have to stop anyway? I would have made it ahead of the ambulance!”

Me: “I asked you to stop, and you didn’t stop. Is there something that makes you special so that you don’t have to stop for an ambulance on an emergency run? Can I see your ID card, please?”

Employee: “No. Who the f*** are you, anyway?”

(At this point, I let him see my company ID card with ‘Security and Loss Prevention’ written on it as my department.)

Employee: “Well, you weren’t very clear with what you wanted. Now f****** let me get to work.”

Me: “I asked for your ID card. Please give it to me.”

Employee: No. You didn’t make yourself clear and I shouldn’t have had to stop anyway.”

(The man waiting to pick his daughter up has been listening to this whole exchange and chimes in.)

Man: “Actually, a**hole, he was very clear about what you wanted. You were just a little s*** who didn’t listen.”

Employee: “F*** you. What the f*** do you want? You’re not involved here!”

Man: “He was very clear about what he wanted you to do. You were just a snot-nosed little s***head who didn’t want to listen. You’ve been nothing but an a**hole during this entire exchange.”

(At this point they are about ready to exchange blows and every security guard at the access post is ready to jump in. The man then reaches inside his shirt and pulls out his badge as well as pulling his ID card from his pocket.)

Man: “If it was up to me, I would arrest your a** right now because you deserve it. I’m already having a bad day and snot-nosed little brats like you just make it worse. So you are going to shut up and walk through the metal detector and go to work. I will personally be calling your supervisor to tell them what a snot-nosed s***head you are and that you chose to disregard the very clear directions of park security.”

(The employee immediately showed me his ID, and then turned around and went straight into work without ever saying another word. Turned out, the ‘plumber’ was a member of a local undercover drug squad who had been called off surveillance to pick his daughter up after she got sick.)

1 Thumbs (713 THUMBS UP!)

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Coatlicue posted:

Yeah, I'm sure the manager will be telling this story for years.

That story reminds me of something that did happen~~~

When I worked in retail in the uk an American came up and wanted to pay with his card. The card machine prints receipt that needs to be signed (as with all non-chip and pin cards), I go to compare the signature to the one on the back of the card...the guy hasn't signed it, I looked at him and he got out his driver's license with his sig on. Why? The reason being he told me was he didn't want to sign the back of his loving bank/credit card.

Which in the uk will mean he'll have to get his drivers license out everything he purchases something instead of taking the extra second to scribble on the back of the card.

I put his stuff in the bag, and wished him the best of luck with his UK shopping experience with my best poo poo eating grin.

I just don't get these people who try to be funny and whacky with retail workers.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Who is the plumber? What is going on in this story?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Why? The reason being he told me was he didn't want to sign the back of his loving bank/credit card.

The stated reason for this is that if the card gets stolen, the thief has an easily accessible sample of your signature to learn how to fake. So to that guy it might have been logical to pull out his drivers license each time rather than whatever he perceived as the risk of signing the back of his card.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Khazar-khum posted:

713 thumbs up!

My favorite part is he's the worst at this whole security thing, even if he wasn't lying; trespass the guy, follow him to the department in which he works, contact his supervisor/dept. head, and inform them of the infraction.

Literally no need to even have this whole exchange in the real world. The easiest way to handle all this: "Hey did you hear me?" "No." "Well, next time listen so you don't get hit by an ambulance." "Ok/gently caress off." "Thanks/gently caress you too!"

End of scene.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Facepalm Ranger posted:

That story reminds me of something that did happen~~~

When I worked in retail in the uk an American came up and wanted to pay with his card. The card machine prints receipt that needs to be signed (as with all non-chip and pin cards), I go to compare the signature to the one on the back of the card...the guy hasn't signed it, I looked at him and he got out his driver's license with his sig on. Why? The reason being he told me was he didn't want to sign the back of his loving bank/credit card.

Which in the uk will mean he'll have to get his drivers license out everything he purchases something instead of taking the extra second to scribble on the back of the card.

I put his stuff in the bag, and wished him the best of luck with his UK shopping experience with my best poo poo eating grin.

I just don't get these people who try to be funny and whacky with retail workers.

I don't really understand why you're so smug about this. A lot of people in the US do this and use their passport/driver's license to prove who they are. It's their choice, and while I don't think it really makes any difference in whether their poo poo gets stolen, it's a matter of personal preference and not really a loving YANKS :smug: issue.

silencekit
May 1, 2014

Khazar-khum posted:

713 thumbs up!

"Snot-nosed" came up 3 times in that story. I don't think I've ever actually heard anyone say "snot-nosed" in real life, unless they were making fun of what a stupid, dated, nonsense put down it is.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

My favorite part is he's the worst at this whole security thing
Not nearly as bad as the cop is at staying undercover, though.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Wasabi the J posted:

My favorite part is he's the worst at this whole security thing, even if he wasn't lying; trespass the guy, follow him to the department in which he works, contact his supervisor/dept. head, and inform them of the infraction.

Literally no need to even have this whole exchange in the real world. The easiest way to handle all this: "Hey did you hear me?" "No." "Well, next time listen so you don't get hit by an ambulance." "Ok/gently caress off." "Thanks/gently caress you too!"

End of scene.

But then how could he use his extremely marginal authority as amusement park security to lord over his peers?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

nucleicmaxid posted:

The stated reason for this is that if the card gets stolen, the thief has an easily accessible sample of your signature to learn how to fake. So to that guy it might have been logical to pull out his drivers license each time rather than whatever he perceived as the risk of signing the back of his card.

A signature is worthless as a means of identification anyway. I've completely hosed it up and my bank has accepted it, and most of those screens you're meant to sign are so loving inaccurate that if you manage to get something that looks like something other than a child scribbling is a challenge.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

bringmyfishback posted:

I don't really understand why you're so smug about this. A lot of people in the US do this and use their passport/driver's license to prove who they are. It's their choice, and while I don't think it really makes any difference in whether their poo poo gets stolen, it's a matter of personal preference and not really a loving YANKS :smug: issue.

It's the weird aversion to chip & pin. It's been used in the uk for so long that signing for something just takes much longer. So not having the back of the card signed and having to pull out get another card makes the whole paying process longer, even more frustrating when there's a long queue of customers also.

The signature thing here is based solely on the retailer authorising it rather than the machine, as a security measure it's paper thin compared to a number only you know.

And it wasn't a "loving yanks" thing it was a "Christ, this guy" thing.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Facepalm Ranger posted:

It's the weird aversion to chip & pin. It's been used in the uk for so long that signing for something just takes much longer. So not having the back of the card signed and having to pull out get another card makes the whole paying process longer, even more frustrating when there's a long queue of customers also.

The signature thing here is based solely on the retailer authorising it rather than the machine, as a security measure it's paper thin compared to a number only you know.

And it wasn't a "loving yanks" thing it was a "Christ, this guy" thing.

It's not an aversion when the system isn't widely available. I agree chip and pin is better, though.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
What does dressed like a plumber even mean? A friend of mine is a plumber and he just dresses casualy for work. Im betting this guy thinks plumbers all dress like mario or something

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
He was wearing dungarees, holding a plunger and a toolbox with "totally a plumber for real" written on it.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
My father writes CHECK PHOTO ID in the signature box on all his cards because he's paranoid about identity theft. These things happen I guess.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

swampland posted:

What does dressed like a plumber even mean?

No tie.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

swampland posted:

What does dressed like a plumber even mean? A friend of mine is a plumber and he just dresses casualy for work. Im betting this guy thinks plumbers all dress like mario or something

Top of rear end crack visible at all times from all angles.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

swampland posted:

Maybe he was standing on top of a warp pipe?

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
From the frontpage of Imgur and previously Tumblr

http://imgur.com/gallery/ve29V1x

I mean there is the smallest possibility that this could have happened but the way it is worded just stinks of STDH

Post Your Favorite (or Request) > shit_that_didnt_happen: This is the epitome of a misogyny.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Catpiss Neverclean posted:

Post Your Favorite (or Request) > shit_that_didnt_happen: This is the epitome of a misogyny.

How dare you treat me like I’m some walking, talking sex that is simply standing there for the pleasure of you to look at

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

bringmyfishback posted:

It's not an aversion when the system isn't widely available. I agree chip and pin is better, though.

That's all I wanted!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Slime posted:

A signature is worthless as a means of identification anyway. I've completely hosed it up and my bank has accepted it, and most of those screens you're meant to sign are so loving inaccurate that if you manage to get something that looks like something other than a child scribbling is a challenge.

Right no. I'm not defending it, merely explaining the reasoning behind it, even if it's faulty. I, personally, cannot wait until the chip thing the the UK has becomes prevalent over here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silencekit
May 1, 2014

This one fits into that "student checkmates teacher because teachers are arrogant and useless" mold.

• Locked thread