Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Quentin is a really good pick and I was debating between him and d'Arnaud, but I thought the drop off at C was too big for me to risk him not falling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I hope injury free Quentin works out, PECOTA has him pegged at a.795 OPS in PETCO

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Screen Door Slams posted:

I was going back and forth between Springer and Moss for my pick and that was why I wanted to get another 8th rounder, so I could get both.

Moss was the player I really wanted this round. I was going to just stick him in the outfield. I'm so sad.

E: And there goes Swisher who I knew would go soon enough...

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

If I get the guy I want with my next pick I'm going to be really happy with my lineup no matter how I fill it out afterwards.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...

tadashi posted:

Moss was the player I really wanted this round. I was going to just stick him in the outfield. I'm so sad.

I'm sorry I made you sad, but... Moss is a lefty, he has great power, and I play in YS3.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Carlos Quentin was my next round pick, I was hoping people would forget about him

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Harlock posted:

Carlos Quentin was my next round pick, I was hoping people would forget about him

After the JAP PLAY, I don't know that any hoping is a good idea anymore. That was the move of the draft so far. Two trades to get the right picks, and yanking them from Japanese ball? Makes me feel like I'm playing checkers when the rest of you are playing chess.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Sexual Lorax posted:

After the JAP PLAY, I don't know that any hoping is a good idea anymore. That was the move of the draft so far. Two trades to get the right picks, and yanking them from Japanese ball? Makes me feel like I'm playing checkers when the rest of you are playing chess.
I dunno, you took Kimbrel early and Dozier. I don't think it's the NPB pick that separates your selection process from most others.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
I don't know if grabbing kevin youkilis, who last posted a 79 OPS+ in 28 games last year, is the best move of the draft, Sexual Lorax

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Obviously, it depends how much you're valuing the OOTP sim. His 50th percentile PECOTA line is .254/.358/.434.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

<.800 OPS from a bad defensive oldish player best suited for DH.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Trust in your immobile players. Let the three true outcomes wash over you and fill you with glee. The Chosen Dunn hears your prayers for Youk, and he is merciful.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

I think it's more fun to see who can build the best team on paper, because OOTP is the same game that occasionally turns Jonathan Schoop into a superelite second baseman for no reason

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

OOTP 13 made Sean O' Sullivan an elite level 2B/SS/OF Ben Zobrist type player who played for 15 years and made the Hall of Fame

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

tatankatonk posted:

I think it's more fun to see who can build the best team on paper, because OOTP is the same game that occasionally turns Jonathan Schoop into a superelite second baseman for no reason

Well, every so often a normally replacement level player has a career year. Remember when Nick Punto* had an OPS over .800? It's like that.

* Real for serious actual Nick Punto.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 28, 2014

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Harlock posted:

OOTP 13 made Sean O' Sullivan an elite level 2B/SS/OF Ben Zobrist type player who played for 15 years and made the Hall of Fame

It would be much more shocking if he had done so as a pitcher....

Besides, you just can't argue with that .333 BA. Contact skills for days. No patience, though.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

tatankatonk posted:

Me, too. That being said, I did pick a couple of players who were severely overrated by projections (Verlander) or whose value may be hard to see on paper (Gentry).

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

I think it'll make the experience of the late rounds much more enjoyable if we admit the possibility of some fun (possibly gamey) picks, rather than diligently selecting fifth outfielders who will never play.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Never! You'll get your member of the Hairston family, and you'll like it

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

That's just cruel.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Pander posted:

I dunno, you took Kimbrel early and Dozier. I don't think it's the NPB pick that separates your selection process from most others.

the possibility exists that i have utterly no idea what i'm doing and am in this mostly for the gifs and related mayhem

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Ya'all are takin too many rookies. I'm going for vets who know how to hit their way out of a slump :colbert:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I like how I keep picking players right before the run on their position ends.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Just so that I'm not crazy, when was Hamels picked then? Also please update the already taken sheet then guys.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Zythrst posted:

Just so that I'm not crazy, when was Hamels picked then? Also please update the already taken sheet then guys.
pick 61

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

56 actually

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Yeah sorry about that guys, I just checked the already drafted sheet several times, but didn't go through pick by pick and probably should have.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

IcePhoenix posted:

56 actually
the curse of row vs. pick strikes again

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

tadashi posted:

I like how I keep picking players right before the run on their position ends.

That means you got the last good one. Lucky!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I went to see X-Men and was gone for like three hours and you guys only made one pick? You guys all suck.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Just auto everyone left in the round on principle.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

That'll show 'em

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

The Merry Marauder posted:

Just auto everyone left in the round on principle.

Wait, why am I being punished because 4 guys ahead of me didn't/couldn't pick?

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

I just want to pick before I go out again

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Wait, why am I being punished because 4 guys ahead of me didn't/couldn't pick?

pour encourager les autres

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

when is houston skipped

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Politicalrancor posted:

when is houston skipped

when their three hours runs out

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

cool, good answer

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

10:06 EST tomorrow morning, good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Anyway, since I'm no longer phoneposting, I'd like to say that I'm quite pleased Parra made it to me. There weren't a whole lot of good options left in CF without making a major sacrifice in either offence or defence. Considering Parra's an elite defender with a league average bat, I really can't complain too much. I know his season this year has been pretty bad, but he's won the gold glove 2 of the last 3 years and is the reigning NL DPOTY. The talent's there. Plus I don't have to worry about a repeat of this from my OOTP game happening:

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 29, 2014

• Locked thread