Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FuzzySkinner posted:

"They live" loving owns.

"The Running Man", forgot about that one.

"Total Recall".

I never understood the whole "LIEBERAL HOLLYWOOD" argument.

One moment Conservatives are bitching about how Liberals are all pussies that want to take away their guns, among a million other things.

The next? THEY'RE PROMOTING THEIR VALUES IN HOLLYWOOD! VIOLENCE! SEX! DRUGS! ALL GLORIFIED!.

"Gattaca" is a personal favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time to read Zinn
Sep 11, 2013
the humidity + the viscosity
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/378894/mass-killings-have-become-rorschach-tests-charles-c-w-cooke/page/0/1
Charles C. W. Cooke, good as always

National Review posted:

One has to play similar games in order to harmonize the killer’s astonishing, deep-seated hatred of females with the fact that four out of the six people he killed were male. There is no question that the shooter had constructed a poisonous ideology in which women were the sworn enemy. His targets, in his own ugly words, were “all you girls who rejected me and looked down on me, treated me like scum while you gave yourselves to other men,” and so intolerably angry was he at women in general that he expressed a wish to put them into camps, to watch them “starve to death,” and to force a few carefully selected survivors to breed with him and others of his choosing. This having been done, he suggested, “sexuality would not exist,” “humanity will be pure and civilized,” and “men will grow up healthily, without having to worry about such a barbaric act.” He was, let’s say, not a fan of the fairer sex.
I guess you didn't have to play any games at all, did you?
One has to play similar games to understand the commentators,

poster posted:

He talked on and on about women rejecting him, but he killed an equal number of men in his bloody pique. Maybe he was desperate for a woman to make him want a woman.
Maybe he finally figured out how to commit genocide against women like he talked about and the FBI was closing in on him? These are all plausible stories.

Didn't he plan to kill women and run into some complication at the sorority that made him kill those guys, anyway, or am I wrong?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Man honestly we should quit parsing his manifesto. gently caress your stupid ideas, cur. They're stupid.

I don't want to let freaks know that there's a way to get Anderson Cooper to parse your manifesto. You can loving hear the trepidation in journalists voices as they discuss it. They know they're contributing to it.

SwingShift
Apr 27, 2013

Time to read Zinn posted:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/378894/mass-killings-have-become-rorschach-tests-charles-c-w-cooke/page/0/1

Maybe he finally figured out how to commit genocide against women like he talked about and the FBI was closing in on him? These are all plausible stories.

Didn't he plan to kill women and run into some complication at the sorority that made him kill those guys, anyway, or am I wrong?

A locked door prevented his rampage through a sorority house, so he went to go kill someone else.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Time to read Zinn posted:

The neo-Nazi shooter a while back ended up only killing Christians and nobody questioned whether he was motivated by anti-Semitism. Why the gently caress does who he actually killed matter?

It's because they secretly agree with the misogyny

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
The most amazing thing about that transcript is rush admits to never having seen The Running Man.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

He saw running in the title and knew it wasn't for him.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I thoroughly enjoyed the part where Rush complains about "the left" exploiting and spinning the shootings for their own benefit, and then in the next breath starts mocking the kid's dad for some reason.

Still not as good as talking at length, with great confidence, about the implications and subtext of a story he's never read or seen though. That's just special.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
If you guys are serious about the Mulford Act poo poo, I know two brown people (one is a Muslim!!!) who are hardcore all about guns and hardcore all about sticking it to the NRA. They have also mentioned that they'd like to get something along the lines of NAFACP going. I can talk to them about it. We've got post-children. Once they get the ball rolling, we can expand.

Would people be interested in this, or is this just a D&D wankfest?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

kik2dagroin posted:

The Hunger Games.

My dad does the same thing. He didn't need to see The Hunger Games or the Dark Knight Rises to know that they should be lauded for their libertarian messages. (DKR "shows the truth about Occupy." You will, of course, remember how the OWS protestors stole a nuclear device and held the entire city of New York hostage and executed the elite citizens in a series of show trials.) He has read the Harry Potter books and joins others in hailing its libertarian message:
http://studentsforliberty.org/blog/2011/12/08/the-libertarian-subtext-of-harry-potter/

Students for Liberty blog posted:

The story seems simple on the surface. A boy’s family is killed by a power hungry evil wizard and the boy trains to ultimately destroy him. So what’s so unique about J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter?

He’s a libertarian.

Okay, so this isn’t explicitly stated in the text, but Harry does exhibit many libertarian values. He rejects the idea of a “master race” which a lot of wizarding families embrace, believing that “pureblood” witches and wizards are superior to those who come from Muggle (non-wizarding) families. He protects his friends and enemies, even saving the life of his nemesis Draco Malfoy twice in the last book. He adheres to a code of non-aggression, disarming the dark wizard Voldemort in a duel rather than trying to kill him. Most importantly, he maintains a healthy skepticism of government:

The primary antagonist of the series is Lord Voldemort, the dark wizard who killed Harry parents. Voldemort’s plan is to create an elite magic society to

“Harry laughed; he could not help himself. It was so very typical of his uncle to put his hopes in the establishment, even within this world that he despised and mistrusted.”- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

control both the wizarding and Muggle worlds. His climb to power is marked by the torture and murder of Muggles and Muggle-born witches and wizards.

He is the opposite of the good-hearted Harry who treats everyone, from the house elves who act as servants to the Minister of Magic, as fellow human beings. Harry’s goodness doesn’t stem from any sort of self-righteousness or from a good upbringing (having been raised by his magic-fearing aunt and uncle) but from an innate sense of justice and a belief that everyone should be able to live freely.

Throughout the entire series, Harry is shown to be daring and adventurous, perhaps even a little bit of a trouble-maker. He defies oppressive authority, constantly fighting against the system. In Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, the Ministry of Magic has taken control of Harry’s school, Hogwarts. When the new administration attempts to silence Harry’s claim that Voldemort has returned to power, Harry refuses to compromise the truth even when he is cruelly punished. Instead, he organizes a student-led rebellion called Dumbledore’s Army which acts as a private militia to train the students involved to fight against the impending attacks of Voldemort.

This is a children’s story, so of course good triumphs over evil in the end. Harry is able to defeat the power hungry Lord Voldemort. His determination to prevail and his ability to do so can serve as motivation for those of us work against tyrrany [sic] and oppressive government in the Muggle world. Harry Potter is more than just a successful book and film series. It is about the triumph of good over evil. It is about the power of a dedicated few to overturn injustice. It is about the relentless struggle for what is good and true. For libertarians, it is an inspirational tale of the importance of liberty and the harmful effects of overbearing government regulations. We can learn a lot from Harry Potter, not the least of which is to always persevere and do whatever we can to spread liberty.

(The italicized quote is evidently meant to follow the third paragraph, but it breaks up the fourth paragraph instead because of a formatting error.)

Yes, J.K. Rowling created a libertarian champion while exploiting Britain's welfare system. (She'd held a job, but quit it to write her first book, so she didn't technically need to be on welfare.) A libertarian champion who grows up to be a government bureaucrat.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 28, 2014

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
How is pacifism remotely libertarian???

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

LaughMyselfTo posted:

How is pacifism remotely libertarian???

Not so much pacifism as non-aggression - basically leave me and my stuff alone and I'll leave you and your stuff alone. If you do mess with me or my stuff, however, it's on like Diddy Kong.

EDIT: One example of the hosed-uppedness of the Non-Aggression Principle (NAP): say you own a high-rise apartment with a flagpole sticking out of the exterior wall. One day when you're in the apartment when a guy falls out of a window above your apartment and grabs your flagpole. According to the NAP, he is trespassing on your property and you're well within your rights to push him to his death.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 28, 2014

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

PeterWeller posted:

I like that he implies that they never made a movie about the dire ramifications of nuclear weapons back in the 40s, 50s, or 60s, you know, the golden age of B movies about the dire ramifications of nuclear weapons.
A-movies, too (Fail Safe, On The Beach, motherfucking Dr. Strangelove).

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Pththya-lyi posted:

Yes, J.K. Rowling created a libertarian champion while exploiting Britain's welfare system.
How tough is this to understand?

1) Libertarians are good guys who fight bad guys
2) Harry Potter is clearly a good guy who fights Voldemort (a bad guy)
therefore
3) Harry Potter is a Libertarian hero and the next generation is going to be Libertarians ha ha ha ha suck it libs!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

FMguru posted:

A-movies, too (Fail Safe, On The Beach, motherfucking Dr. Strangelove).

Command and Control: Nuclear Weapons, the Damascus Accident, and the Illusion of Safety is a really good book that will make you :stonk: at how many close calls the US had with accidental nuclear weapon detonations. The movies Fail Safe and Dr. Stangelove are discussed in the book.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Command and Control: Nuclear Weapons, the Damascus Accident, and the Illusion of Safety is a really good book that will make you :stonk: at how many close calls the US had with accidental nuclear weapon detonations. The movies Fail Safe and Dr. Stangelove are discussed in the book.
That was a good book and everyone should read it and be absolutely terrified at how close the world came to destruction for reasons of simple engineering and organizational structure.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

kik2dagroin posted:

Rush Limbaugh posted:

It's just like Nancy Reagan's, "Just Say NO to Drugs." I mean, that was laughed out of town, and so was abstinence laughed at

Yes, we all know how well "Just say No" worked. :rolleyes:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

My Q-Face posted:

Yes, we all know how well "Just say No" worked. :rolleyes:

Very well with good conservative children! Those godless liberals and the spawn of the democrat party though...

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
It's funny that the article claims Harry Potter is a libertarian, considering he shared his parents' wealth quite freely. Oh, and every libertarian I know is a complete "master race" shitheel (apologies to non-racist libertarians on the forums). It's pretty central to libertarianism that some people are just better than others, and most think it's no coincidence that white people are rich. The motherfucking Atlas Shrugged book was all white people all the time.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

anonumos posted:

It's funny that the article claims Harry Potter is a libertarian, considering he shared his parents' wealth quite freely.

Libertarians are fine with voluntary charity! They just don't engage in it themselves. (Well, unless it's a rich people charity, where the real purpose of participating is to show off your house/car/horse/yacht/[fancy belonging(s)].)

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

The next? THEY'RE PROMOTING THEIR VALUES IN HOLLYWOOD! VIOLENCE! SEX! DRUGS! ALL GLORIFIED!.

One minor point on this, I watched American Beauty again recently and can completely understand how it would upset conservatives due to the use of straw men. Same with Donnie Darko.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

eggyolk posted:

One minor point on this, I watched American Beauty again recently and can completely understand how it would upset conservatives due to the use of straw men. Same with Donnie Darko.

Those characters you call straw men... some of us have them in our family. I would love it if they were straw men. The world would be a much better place. Conservatives were pissed at American Beauty because it's like Falling Down but the character becomes disillusioned with capitalism and modern society. As a rich white person you are supposed to be happy, and god loving help you if you aren't.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 28, 2014

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

kik2dagroin posted:

Limbaugh spent about an hour musing over the meanings of The Hunger Games. Let's just get a little dose of context because this whole thing started as a fairly benign comment as he ranted about the recent shooting in Santa Barbara

[ :btroll: ]

Strong words for a guy that flies to the Dominican Republic to gently caress child sex slaves.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Pththya-lyi posted:

Yes, J.K. Rowling created a libertarian champion while exploiting Britain's welfare system. (She'd held a job, but quit it to write her first book, so she didn't technically need to be on welfare.) A libertarian champion who grows up to be a government bureaucrat.

This would actually be completely consistent with the way most libertarians actually behave (see: Ayn Rand and Medicare, etc.)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I still love Fox's outrage at V for Vendetta's depiction of a scifi Bush administration. (The villain was scifi Hitler - it was written years before Bush, they Godwinned that one all by themselves.)

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This would actually be completely consistent with the way most libertarians actually behave (see: Ayn Rand and Medicare, etc.)

Let's not forget Paul Ryan who has had food on his table from government money literally his entire life, and yet seeks to cut those benefits.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

moths posted:

I still love Fox's outrage at V for Vendetta's depiction of a scifi Bush administration. (The villain was scifi Hitler - it was written years before Bush, they Godwinned that one all by themselves.)

Also Lord Business, the villain from the Lego Movie, was clearly, clearly modeled after Mitt Romney (and not Will Ferrell, Lord Business' voice actor).

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Wow, did they even watch the movie? That Romney assessment entirely falls apart because of spoilers.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There was a lot of kid killin' in the Bible too. Mostly by god's command.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

moths posted:

Wow, did they even watch the movie?

Are you kidding me? It's a kids' movie! Now lemme tell you about how it's an attack on conservatism!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Conservatives higher in the echelons know their entire ideology is an evil scam so sometimes they don't realize that evil characters in the media might NOT be symbolic of them and they jump the gun in the outrage machine.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Is the @Todd_kincannon twitter meltdown real or is it a really elaborate troll?

https://twitter.com/Todd__Kincannon

http://www.salon.com/2014/01/27/tea_party_troll_todd_kincannon_goes_on_misogynistic_anti_wendy_davis_twitter_rant/

More recently:

http://www.forwardprogressives.com/todd-kincannon-yesallwomen-ucsb-killings/

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
He's a troll that feeds off the attention given him whenever he tweets something disgusting. It'd be better if everyone just ignored him.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Radish posted:

Conservatives higher in the echelons know their entire ideology is an evil scam so sometimes they don't realize that evil characters in the media might NOT be symbolic of them and they jump the gun in the outrage machine.

I've recently adopted an old catch-phrase to respond to this one: "If the shoe fits".

I've said this to a lot of people who want to abolish CPS for taking kids from abusive parents because their parents "spanked them one time".

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

He's a troll that feeds off the attention given him whenever he tweets something disgusting. It'd be better if everyone just ignored him.

He's a pro troll and his point is valid. Why are feathers so ruffled by dumb poo poo? It's like the mindset for content on this forum versus, say, a Clearchannel radio station that censors everything from "poo poo" to "chrome 45."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVJAz0XT8I4&t=41s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVJAz0XT8I4&t=120s

The words "whore" and "balls" are censored, too. If the censorship trend goes any further things like "liquor store" will be censored, as well. This version actually has a few parts uncensored, "green," "drugs," "chrome," and "gun," are usually censored. Heaven forbid a cautionary tale about life on the wrong side of the tracks actually mention some of the things that are bad.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

moths posted:

The use of the O'Reilly/Limbaugh clone on the network is pretty scathing of them. Another character that was created a YEARS before Limbaugh and Fox News even existed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flBpsyFbEOs

I realize it's very much an anarchist/libertarian type of movie but I really enjoyed "V for Vendetta" FWIW.

What is bizarre how quickly Fox News is willing to criticize any type of film. Neil Cavuto threw a hissy fit that "Zero Dark Thirty" didn't win an academy award, yet, "Argo" did. "IT'S JUST HOLLYWOOD GIVING AN AWARD TO ITSELF". He didn't even see the movie. My conservative dad? Loved it by the way.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
My dad saw it and loved it but framed it as "yay, Hollywood's finally making a conservative movie!!!" on the basis that true leftists must be unwilling to view Iranians as antagonists or something?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Also it's like the CIA's one successful adventure.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I typically notice conservative "values" in film when they manifest in some eye rolling racist grandpa poo poo. Consider when the swarthy foreigners (from a sandy place) teamed up with OWS to nuke Gotham city. It's like, OK Nolan- We get it, you're a rich white guy and this was the scariest scenario you could imagine.

OF COURSE you only see this in hyper unrealistic fantasy circumstances, like Red Dawn or 24. Are there any grounded films where the conservatives were right all along?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

FuzzySkinner posted:

What is bizarre how quickly Fox News is willing to criticize any type of film. Neil Cavuto threw a hissy fit that "Zero Dark Thirty" didn't win an academy award, yet, "Argo" did. "IT'S JUST HOLLYWOOD GIVING AN AWARD TO ITSELF". He didn't even see the movie. My conservative dad? Loved it by the way.

But I thought Zero Dark Thirty was just liberal propaganda to remind people about Bin Laden's death right before the election?