Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Wait, does Bloodletter work even when it's not the weapon you're using?

...welp, never unequipping that ever, then.

No idea! Couldn't hurt though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
No it doesn't, but you can swap to it to fill up faster.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
After I got it I never used another sword. I have my combat brace when I need real DPS, I can afford to use a weapon just for bloodletting.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Did you just never use spears or did you have a secret to making bracers awesome.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Anatharon posted:

Did you just never use spears or did you have a secret to making bracers awesome.

Find one with the spam kicks. It burns straight through enemy health and you can dodge out of it at any moment. Not to mention that they all have amazing combo potential that lets you weave in and out of combat, making you essentially invincible. Spears have too narrow a moveset for my taste, though it is good for dash-slam-spamming for trash mobs.

Not to mention charge attack bracers will knock even giant class enemies on their rear end and let you stagger lock them.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There is no amazing combo potential in bracers, they are about as sterile of a weapon as the spear is, but they have more worth than the chakrams at least. They are worthless against trash mobs since those can pile up on you with the no AOE you have and against certain giant enemies they're tough to use since certain giant ones just don't care and will do silly poo poo if you are not being smart about your weapon selection.

I used a sword for most of the game because it was a really good utility weapon. You can cover distance easily with jumping stamina attack, larger ones have a projectile (Rendering most fights with the sisters easy as hell), they have great area of effect, and the DPS on them is alright. I've seen some videos where bracers were good against certain enemies solo, but for the most part it was either swords or spears. Those weapons have a greater overall utility than the bracers do and this coming from someone who loves hand to hand in pretty any action game, it just feels like complete garbage in this game, much like the game in general.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

There is no amazing combo potential in bracers, they are about as sterile of a weapon as the spear is, but they have more worth than the chakrams at least. They are worthless against trash mobs since those can pile up on you with the no AOE you have and against certain giant enemies they're tough to use since certain giant ones just don't care and will do silly poo poo if you are not being smart about your weapon selection.

I used a sword for most of the game because it was a really good utility weapon. You can cover distance easily with jumping stamina attack, larger ones have a projectile (Rendering most fights with the sisters easy as hell), they have great area of effect, and the DPS on them is alright. I've seen some videos where bracers were good against certain enemies solo, but for the most part it was either swords or spears. Those weapons have a greater overall utility than the bracers do and this coming from someone who loves hand to hand in pretty any action game, it just feels like complete garbage in this game, much like the game in general.

Actually the dash attack is a pretty good aoe, as is their weapon switch move. Not much range but it doesn't really need much.

Also the sword slot is best used for the bloodsword, and spears have too many attacks that lock you into their animations, as opposed to the bracers which have one (the heavy weapon aerial combo).

And of course it's best used for one-on-one, the bracers even say so. They're the ultimate boss waster. I just happen to love using them for crowds as well.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I actually like to use the Chakrams on rare occasions. Mostly for getting rid of a bunch of archers without having to chase them down individually. It's also not bad if you're highly surrounded, so long as you know about needing to charge each hit for maximum speed. I tried to use all four weapon types as much as possible, for variety, if nothing else.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Also I'm not sure what everyone's issue with the Chakram is? Maybe it's because I'm using Manah's Staff but the Chakram is a fantastic 'okay, I'm sick of everyone's poo poo' weapon.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Beef Waifu posted:

Also, here's my final boss victory, spoilahz. I'm keeping this as evidence that I managed to succeed.

I will admit that I have not looked at the rest of this thread and I only came in here as curiosity after my mind remembered the Drakengard LPs, so you can call me an idiot I guess, but please tell me that was like, some camera fuckery on your part. Please tell me that you edited that camera movement in and the actual game does not have that. Because holy gently caress how are you ever suppsoed to beat that if that's not true?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Gologle posted:

I will admit that I have not looked at the rest of this thread and I only came in here as curiosity after my mind remembered the Drakengard LPs, so you can call me an idiot I guess, but please tell me that was like, some camera fuckery on your part. Please tell me that you edited that camera movement in and the actual game does not have that. Because holy gently caress how are you ever suppsoed to beat that if that's not true?

You tap your foot and count beats, or at least that's what I did.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Those were actually the easier parts because I wasn't focused on using the the rings to tell me where they were, I used the rhythm of the song to get it and I got it fine. That being said it took multiple tries because if you mess up even one time it's over and some of the later parts are a bit silly in how dumb they are, especially the second to last one where I basically counted to four to get it because I could just not get the timing on that part down.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

So is there some easy trick to grinding gold, because I really don't feel like beating the survival challenge five more times so I can get new content again.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

BioMe posted:

So is there some easy trick to grinding gold, because I really don't feel like beating the survival challenge five more times so I can get new content again.

Grind the desert payday. You'll need to do three requests each time, I prefer the second one on the list (collect eight something or other while wielding chakrams).

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
So when are the various DLC prologues supposed to come out?

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Thought One's was out already and the guys who had the CE pre-order had access to it while it's :10bux: for the rest.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I certainly can't find it on the PSN store.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I found the bracers to be the best weapon by far. Swords weren't strong enough and Spears are way too slow, the fists have really long combos and have a decent enough range.

The Chakrams were well, the chakrams.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I might experiment with the chakram a bit (I just unlocked it and did the "here's how you use chakrams" tutorial verse before I stopped playing for the night), but I don't really see myself making too much use of it. Maybe for killing archers at long range if I don't feel like timing parries. v:geno:v

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The bracer's charge attack is actually a really good bosskiller. Just start charging while you're far away from the boss and wait for them to come to you. Bam, a third of their life in one hit.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
If I ever touch the game again I'll try it I guess.

Is there an official way to get the OST?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Anatharon posted:

If I ever touch the game again I'll try it I guess.

Is there an official way to get the OST?

Amazon.jp or the SE store, maybe, if it's there? (It has such a poo poo-tastic way of cataloging). (Found it.)

Not sure how much postage it would cost though. That's wanting them officially, of course.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 28, 2014

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

"Wait, was it tap-ta-ta-tap or tap-tap-... gently caress"

The good thing is I've tried it enough to times to get to the fourth phase blindfolded now. The bad thing is I've tried it enough times to get to the fourth phase blindfolded now.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a decent weapon location guide anywhere? I'm getting close to the first ending, and beelining for good weapons made the other games in the series far more tolerable.

Also I take back anything positive I said about the graphics (besides the character/weapon design) after seeing characters clip through each other and the environment. In a cutscene.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

BioMe posted:

"Wait, was it tap-ta-ta-tap or tap-tap-... gently caress"

The good thing is I've tried it enough to times to get to the fourth phase blindfolded now. The bad thing is I've tried it enough times to get to the fourth phase blindfolded now.

I finished this last night by watching a vid and seeing what came next. I got fed up with how many times I died on that last drat verse.

So I saw people mention (ending spoilers) this game retcons the timeline, but I'm not really sure what to make of all this. Could someone explain?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Momomo posted:

I finished this last night by watching a vid and seeing what came next. I got fed up with how many times I died on that last drat verse.

So I saw people mention (ending spoilers) this game retcons the timeline, but I'm not really sure what to make of all this. Could someone explain?

Ending A goes into an alternate timeline that changes the events of the first Drakengard. There's a manga and some supplemental stories that go into what happens, and how the existence of the flower changes the world.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Leonard the Pedospider.

Kreittis
Jan 7, 2010

Foxhound? Houndfox.

This final boss is loving terrible and I want to choke whoever came up with this poo poo.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Kreittis posted:

This final boss is loving terrible and I want to choke whoever came up with this poo poo.
Just sync up the Youtube video with the beat guide at the bottom and you'll be able to ace it.
No shame in that.

I even hooked up a PS3 arcade fight stick as my controller for the larger buttons.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Kreittis posted:

You will never find him for he is trapped inside a locker/closet.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

8 minute rhythm boss fight without checkpoints, drunk camera, OHKO and timing that doesn't always even follow the beat. Unnnhh.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
There's a reason why Nier is the only genuinely good game in the series.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

On the other hand, this game doesn't have vial plotholes like Nier did, at least not that I can think of. Nier spoilers: I'm referring to Popola's little story about Weiss and Noir making no sense and Noir acting creepy for literally no reason.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
EDIT: Hahaha nevermind.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Momomo posted:

On the other hand, this game doesn't have vial plotholes like Nier did, at least not that I can think of. Nier spoilers: I'm referring to Popola's little story about Weiss and Noir making no sense and Noir acting creepy for literally no reason.

Man things are just naturally creepy when they're powered by the soul of Albert Wesker.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 28, 2014

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

I just gave up and watched the ending on youtube. So did they ever explain where the flower came from to begin with?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

BioMe posted:

I just gave up and watched the ending on youtube. So did they ever explain where the flower came from to begin with?

From wherever the Watchers live. I don't think it's made explicit.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I gotta say the story of this game was pretty disappointing. I was expecting nuttier stuff and it ended up just being sort of boring for the most part.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Momomo posted:

You'd be creepy too if you were a thousand year old crazy super powerful book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

I gotta say the story of this game was pretty disappointing. I was expecting nuttier stuff and it ended up just being sort of boring for the most part.

It's like every ending until D is just telling you to go get another ending. Compare that to the first game where by the time you get shot down by a MiG fighter there had also been an apocalypse by giant babies, an apocalypse by dragon invasion, apocalypse by an army of scorpion sister clones...

Okay yeah maybe the end result wasn't that varied in most of the Drakengard 1 endings either, but it did manage to make you :stare: again and again

BioMe fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 28, 2014

• Locked thread