Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

B4Ctom1 posted:

I would hope by now most of you would have seen or heard about this from the day 4014 arrived:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2626230/Look-Oblivious-train-spotters-distracted-vintage-locomotive-hit-slowest-near-miss-ever.html

direct link to video (loud train sounds and cursing warning)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwO-IWorGv4

Why don't they look, Ralph? Tell me. Why don't they look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

My terrible cell phone recording of this moment MUST NOT BE DISTURBED BY YOU SAVING MY LIFE.

Guy literally moves him out of the way and the dumbass doesn't even respond or look around at the surroundings. Just keeps on recording.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Hey, he'd been waiting for this moment for months...

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

LiquidRain posted:

My terrible cell phone recording of this moment MUST NOT BE DISTURBED BY YOU SAVING MY LIFE.

Guy literally moves him out of the way and the dumbass doesn't even respond or look around at the surroundings. Just keeps on recording.

I've never seen someone so oblivious, he kept right on recording even when the 4014 was completely blocked by the diesels. Apparently exposure to old trains can cause paralysis.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Das Volk posted:

I've never seen someone so oblivious, he kept right on recording even when the 4014 was completely blocked by the diesels. Apparently exposure to old trains can cause paralysis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16kCRTFJr04

NEERRROOOUUUUUUUUUUU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Idiots like that are the reason a lot of railroads are straight up hostile to railfans. Some of the behavior I've seen out of adult men around trains has made me surprised that they tolerate us at all.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

B4Ctom1 posted:

direct link to video (loud train sounds and cursing warning)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwO-IWorGv4

Autists gonna autist.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
It makes me sad when non-idiots intervene on behalf of idiots to prevent them from getting killed. We're not doing the species any favors people, let Darwin handle it!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Let's be honest, are these people going to breed anyway?

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Huge_Midget posted:

It makes me sad when non-idiots intervene on behalf of idiots to prevent them from getting killed. We're not doing the species any favors people, let Darwin handle it!

I like to think they intervened on behalf of the train driver, who could probably do without the trauma of some idiot comitting suicide.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

Deedle posted:

I like to think they intervened on behalf of the train driver, who could probably do without the trauma of some idiot comitting suicide.

They're not committing suicide if they don't intend on getting hit by a train.

Unless that is totally the way they see themselves going then whatever, fine by me!

Still a dumb thing to do regardless. If you care so much about trains then you probably don't want their paintwork messed up by your guts being strewn across it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
http://www.theonion.com/video/autistic-reporter-train-thankfully-unharmed-in-cra,20098/

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We have some smaller roads around here where the train tracks just have a stop sign protecting them, and very infrequent trains, in a fairly populated area. People pretty much just roll through the stops.

If they actually run a train on that line, what kind of procedures do they use?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

smackfu posted:

We have some smaller roads around here where the train tracks just have a stop sign protecting them, and very infrequent trains, in a fairly populated area. People pretty much just roll through the stops.

If they actually run a train on that line, what kind of procedures do they use?

Two long whistles, a short whistle, and a long whistle, repeated until the lead locomotive occupies the crossing. Honestly that's all they'd need to do.

If the crossing however was equipped with lights and gates and the crew got a report that they weren't working, the train would have to stop for the conductor to get out and flag the lead engine across.

Engineers aren't out to hit anybody on purpose and in the case of this line, they'd probably know about the hazards and be doing 10mph or under. My college campus was bisected by a rail line that led to a grain silo, stops signs at each crossing, and we'd get maybe 2 trains a month during harvest season. The trains would c-r-a-w-l through campus with horns blaring, but that didn't stop a kid's jeep from getting pushed down the tracks one year and a minivan the next.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
So France just pulled a British Rail. Not sure why the government decided that after what happened to the UK, splitting track ownership from train ownership would be a good idea, but they did.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Deedle posted:

They certainly did. I know the guy who was driving the other train and I'm telling you right now he was so busy. They're right outside of town and got lots of signals and things to do as a coming into a terminal where things are basically completely out of control. Not to mention actually operating the train. I think he said he never saw the person. Wyoming is sparsely populated, hitting people here is extremely rare, if they would've hit he would've felt horrible.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Foamers, regular joes, etc.... for some reason people get stupid around trains.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

ctishman posted:

So France just pulled a British Rail. Not sure why the government decided that after what happened to the UK, splitting track ownership from train ownership would be a good idea, but they did.

The system works!

(the system is set up to make the owners rich and not actually provide a decent railway)

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

A train hit a truck of frozen pasta (read the first few comments below):

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/lasagna-disaster-inspires-incredible-headline-1579150368/+tcberman

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
A few weeks ago a train hit a truck here. My coworker's son-in-law was in the cab of the train at the time (the guy not driving). He said it tossed the trailer into the air, where it almost landed on a car (the car driver saved herself by backing up just before the collision), and then took out a power pole.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

ctishman posted:

Because it was mandated by the EU, thus providing more fodder for the Eurosceptics. SNCF and RFF will now be put under a single bureaucracy, but a legal "firewall" has to be kept between them to meet EU rules.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Brother Jonathan posted:

Because it was mandated by the EU, thus providing more fodder for the Eurosceptics. SNCF and RFF will now be put under a single bureaucracy, but a legal "firewall" has to be kept between them to meet EU rules.

So basically they did it for the same reason the UK did it, with predictable results.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
A couple days I saw a BNSF Roadrailer train for the first time, I thought it looked really neat. How common are roadrailers? Do the trailers have to be overbuilt in comparison to regular semi trailers? I can only assume if you put a regular semi trailer between a locomotive and thousands of tons of rail cars it might accordion when you hit the brakes, or am I simply completely unaware of the forces at work here?

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.

ctishman posted:

So basically they did it for the same reason the UK did it, with predictable results.

Nah, we did it way before it was a requirement. The EU just looked at our railway, said "hey, we've got to get us some of that" and made compulsory what we did of our own free will. We're nothing if not trendsetters.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Crotch Fruit posted:

A couple days I saw a BNSF Roadrailer train for the first time, I thought it looked really neat. How common are roadrailers? Do the trailers have to be overbuilt in comparison to regular semi trailers? I can only assume if you put a regular semi trailer between a locomotive and thousands of tons of rail cars it might accordion when you hit the brakes, or am I simply completely unaware of the forces at work here?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadrailer

They have to be blocked after any other cars on the train.

If the roadrailer business is like intermodal then: I would imagine that they typically run on roadrailer only trains just due to the nature of intermodal type business. The railroads promise a certain time on a certain date, based on when the container/trailer enters a terminal, for the unit to be ready for pickup at the destination(availability). The availability number, what percentage of containers are available on time(service), and price are how the intermodal product is sold.

From an operations standpoint, you probably don't want to hold up your high priority/high value loads on the line of road by running it on a low priority train. The flip side is roadrailers probably make low priority trains into high priority trains. In the yard, you're complicating your switching and congesting the yard when you have to set off roadrailers onto their processing track.

I don't really know how it actually works because my company doesn't run any roadrailers. Just based on my limited experience in the intermodal world.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Kinda surprised that anyone bothers with roadrailers in the age of doublestack container trains and piggybacks.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
"They knew where some of their trains were, but not where all of their trains were."

(Skip to 2:25 for the :stare: part if it doesn't automatically.)

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Crotch Fruit posted:

I remember years ago having roadrailer spine cars are basically just tiny skeletons. But they had to ride on the back of our train when they were empty and they could not go faster than 40 mph when empty.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Cygni posted:

Kinda surprised that anyone bothers with roadrailers in the age of doublestack container trains and piggybacks.

The equipment is slowly getting retired. I know the triple crown service that runs from the Twin Cities to Chicago is slowly going away in time.

But yeah, when you have troubles with one set of wheels, brakes, etc, the whole train is basically hosed.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The equipment is slowly getting retired. I know the triple crown service that runs from the Twin Cities to Chicago is slowly going away in time.

But yeah, when you have troubles with one set of wheels, brakes, etc, the whole train is basically hosed.

Apparently there is a service that runs through Cincinnati as well. I had been seeing those on the way to work and just figured the railroad company realized it was cheaper to just have a bunch of trucks laying around to load/offload the trailers instead of doing piggyback. I hadn't realized till I read the wiki that it was always triple crown trailers being pulled. Or that it was a unique thing that was going away.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

That shot of the guys just flipping their speeder over to get off of the rails was a major :stare: for me. Holy poo poo.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

JuffoWup posted:

Or that it was a unique thing that was going away.

That's what I was told when I was in St Paul terminal in November 2013.... I have no idea beyond that though.

I think it was a good concept, but its pretty specialized.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Paging Axeman Jim! http://www.blisworth.org.uk/images/Rails-three.htm

The Ro-Railer was an experimental roadrailer style bus because transferring passengers to rail cars made too much sense.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I saw an old train, and a neat poster.

http://www.yarravalleyrailway.org.au/

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
The Overground was closed for works this weekend so TFL were doing on-foot tours under the Thames through Brunel's old tunnel, which was awesome. As fun as the tunnel was, getting to walk through stations I used to commute through on foot was pretty awesome.

I've also got a bunch of photos from things like tours of Aldwych, various steam railway days, steam trains on the underground, the TFL museum depot etc - need to organise/upload them all.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

drat that looks like it would have been awesome to do.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Update on the France thing. From what I hear now, it actually wasn't as stupid as it seemed initially. Apparently RFF was supposed to modify the platforms years ago, but it went something like this:

SNCF: "In ten years' time we will be buying new trains that are wider. Please widen ze platforms"
RFF: "But we are le tired"
SNCF: "Well, have a nap, ZHEN WIDEN ZE PLATFORMS!"

<5 years pass>

SNCF: "How are the platforms going? That big order of trains is on its way."
RFF: "We're um… zhey're… euh… good? Yes. Les platforms sont great! How are you?"

<5 years pass>

SNCF: "Les trains are here!"
RFF: "Wait, wait, les platforms were supposed to be done NOW? But we are le tired."
World Press: "LOL :france:"

The way it's going now, it sounds like it's entirely on RFF for loving around rather than doing their job.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I understand congratulations are in order for the goon from the Illinois Railway Museum.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
From Best of Craigslist:

A few pointers from your friendly neighborhood locomotive engineer

1) A train is really, really big. Can we all accept that? Not even your Ram/F350/Hummer/douche-mobile is a match for a locomotive. You say you have a Cummins diesel? Caterpillar? Detroit? Oooooooh. Well I have an EMD 567 on a bad day, and even its pathetic eighteen-hundred horsepower will pound you and your gleaming pickup into the fourth dimension, so please, stay behind the white line!

2) I hate blocking crossings. Seriously, I feel like a complete rear end in a top hat when I stop a train in the middle of the road and leave two dozen motorists to ponder their lattes and ask what the hell I'm doing. The truth is, sometimes it has to be done, so don't honk at me, flip me off, or scream at me from the window of your Dodge Caravan as you're shooting a U. Instead, be patient and try to believe that there's a point to what I'm doing. It's called switching, and my conductor is depending on me to work slowly and not run his rear end over. If you don't believe me, Wiki that poo poo.

3) Don't climb on the equipment. I hate to sound like your mother, but you're saving me a lot of paperwork and horrifying flashbacks by staying off the equipment. To you it might look like an abandoned train or a free ride, but when that bastard starts to move with you on it, there's a drat good chance you won't be able to hold on. As long as you're on Wikipedia, punch in "slack action" and see what comes up. Also, the romance of riding freight trains is total bullshit. They're really dark, really cold, really windy, and hobos are loving SCARY.

4) Don't put poo poo on the tracks. It's dangerous to me and my conductor, and it's ten times more dangerous for you and everyone else on the ground. If you're wondering "can a train go over a rock?" the answer is YES. There's only one problem. You probably haven't wondered where the million shards of rock are going to go at four times the speed of sound, have you?

5) Stop whining about the horn. Countless accidents have been avoided because drivers missed the flashing lights but heard the horn. You'd have to blast Miley Cyrus and Lil' Bow Wow pretty loving loud to drown out a five-chime, and often that's the only thing that saves people. Still, that's no reason to keep your stereo at eighty decibels as you're rolling through a crossing at sixty without looking both ways.

6) By and large, railroad cops are major douche bags, so when you're trespassing on railroad property, keep your head out of your rear end. These guys didn't make it into the real police force, and they will ream your rear end inside and out to make up for it. Also, walking on bridges and in tunnels is extremely dangerous. Ask yourself: If a train comes, where will I go? Trains are much wider than the rails they run on, so don’t be fooled.

Now for some of the DO'S.

1) If you see a large object (like a garbage can or an F350) that's about to get love-tapped by a hotshot freight train, get in the clear. If the poo poo's about to fly at a railroad crossing, run to the side of the street that the train is coming from. That way you'll be behind the point of impact and you won't have to worry about catching that beautiful pickup and its over-confident driver square on your loving shoulders. If you run away from the train you're just putting yourself in the line of fire, and the death toll could very possibly be two.

2) If the gates stay down and the lights stay flashing, stay where you are. I guaran-drat-tee there's another train coming, and speeding onto the tracks the moment the first train clears is a lot like celebrating a touchdown too early. WHAM.

3) When you're waiting for a train to pass, it's a good idea to stay back thirty or forty feet. Trains are operated by professionals, but often they're loaded by total assclowns. I've heard some real nasty stories about payloads falling off flatcars and crushing people in their vehicles, or doors sliding off boxcars and ripping through everything in their path. It's rare, but poo poo happens!

4) Always report problems or suspicious activity. If you see a photographer with a radio scanner and a big-rear end notebook, ignore him. We know that guy. But if there's a dude in street clothes working a crowbar through a signal box, hit us up and tell us what the deal is. Railroad crossings usually have signs with emergency numbers, or you can call the non-emergency number for your local fuzz. If an accident has already occurred or a life is at risk, call 911 instead. Pretty sure they have our number.

5) Last but not least, when you're inconvenienced by a train, remember that we're pulling for you! Trains are a great way to conserve fuel, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and keep American jobs alive and green. Rail technology is the best solution to our energy crisis, and as the rail network grows in the years to come, it's important for everyone to stay safe. Look, listen, LIVE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
We were just talking about quality van moves ight?

Bloomington, Il