Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
After playing the demo with the full roster I'm disappointed characters are locked in the final game. Oh well... Here's hoping I can unlock stuff quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
Added my info to the list after pre-ordering from Amazon yesterday.

It's still weird that reviews for this came out like two weeks ago and it's just now getting released. Nintendo has weird embargo structures sometimes.

fromagex
Oct 11, 2006
Added my name to the list. Hoping Amazon will deliver mine Friday.

I'll do a mass add of everyone starting tomorrow night.

I am a Mario Kart beginner, mainly because there is nothing for me to do with my Wii U and I want the Zelda deal. Prepare to always beat me!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I saw it on the shelf at GameStop last night. Not sure why they were put out but they can't sell them.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Nothing like having something juuuussssssssttttttttttt out of reach to drive kids/inpatient gamers wild.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I went ahead and added my name to the list in the OP, too. Mario Kart 7 with goons was pretty fun, so I imagine this'll be pretty fun, too.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Is there a list of Best Buy stores doing midnight releases for this game?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

This thread is filled with people who are convinced they will suck against Goons.

So who is the goon who's confident they'll dominate everyone else?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I'ma Wario, I'ma gonna wiiin!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Kirios posted:

This thread is filled with people who are convinced they will suck against Goons.

I don't think I will dominate everyone, but I think I will be top 1/2, maybe top 1/4.

This is just based on my playing MKWii and falling in those areas.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Jolo posted:

I'ma Wario, I'ma gonna wiiin!

This is literally me irl

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Waltzing Along posted:

I saw it on the shelf at GameStop last night. Not sure why they were put out but they can't sell them.

To get you to walk inside and hopefully buy something.

But gently caress them, bring on my thursday 9pm download!

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I've been rewatching the Sopranos now that they've been put on Amazon Prime Instant Video. There's an early episode where AJ is playing Mario Kart 64 and there's constant Wario cackling and soundclips throughout the entire scene while he talks to his dad. "Here I go!" "Here I go!" "Ahahahah!" It's funny stuff.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I'm sure this has been asked and answered, but...do we have absolute confirmation of Off-TV play? This has become a critical element of my gaming, as the parent of an infant.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Jolo posted:

I've been rewatching the Sopranos now that they've been put on Amazon Prime Instant Video. There's an early episode where AJ is playing Mario Kart 64 and there's constant Wario cackling and soundclips throughout the entire scene while he talks to his dad. "Here I go!" "Here I go!" "Ahahahah!" It's funny stuff.

This is incredibly off-topic but would you suggest I watch The Sopranos or The Wire first? I haven't seen virtually any of the HBO stuff and I'm looking forward to working through them. Just started Eastbound and Down last night and it's hilarious.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

mdemone posted:

I'm sure this has been asked and answered, but...do we have absolute confirmation of Off-TV play? This has become a critical element of my gaming, as the parent of an infant.

It's a Nintendo first party game so of course it's going to have it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have tossed my hat into the Goon Google Doc and am looking forward to smoking some losers with Waluigi no matter how bad.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

This is incredibly off-topic but would you suggest I watch The Sopranos or The Wire first? I haven't seen virtually any of the HBO stuff and I'm looking forward to working through them. Just started Eastbound and Down last night and it's hilarious.

I've not seen all of The Sopranos but having seen all of The Wire, I can say that tonally the shows are very different. The Sopranos feels a lot like Goodfellas the series, and focuses on individual characters and personalities. The Wire starts off as a show about police investigating drug dealers, and then peels back layer by layer to show how every system in the city affects every other system. The police and the drug dealers, the schools, the politicians, everything is interconnected. The Sopranos might be more satisfying from moment to moment, but The Wire was unparalleled once you became invested in the city and its characters. There's a great thread in TVIV that probably does a much better job of selling each show. I'd recommend them both, but I'll point out that The Wire can be overwhelming at first because it throws a lot of characters and information in the mix and doesn't emphasize what is going on 100% of the time.

/derail over

Can multiple people use the same racer in multiplayer? I'm just picturing the goon tournament and it's just a wall of Waluigis as far as the eye can see.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

I have tossed my hat into the Goon Google Doc and am looking forward to smoking some losers with Waluigi no matter how bad.

I am Waluigi

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Your Friend posted:

I am Waluigi

There can only be one Waluigi.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

:agreed:

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Beef Waifu posted:

Mario Kart 8 - There Can Be Only Waa

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Actually I'm pretty sure multiple people can select the same character online.

:shobon:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

JordanKai posted:

Actually I'm pretty sure multiple people can select the same character online.

:shobon:

Hopefully we get races of only Hank Hill Miis.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Spacebump posted:

"Something ain't right with that Waluigi, I tell you hwhat."

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Dibs on Ludwig.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Spacebump posted:

This was the reason the Mii character was included.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
12 player waluigi only races are haunting my nightmares/dreams. I cannot wait.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Spacebump posted:

CaptainYesterday please put this in the OP

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Liquid Penguins posted:

12 player waluigi only races are haunting my nightmares/dreams. I cannot wait.

You don't have to wait to hear what that sounds like!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Just a heads up for UK dudes, GAME is selling the digital version for 39.99 which is a little cheaper than buying direct:
http://www.game.co.uk/en/mario-kart...ibuteValue1=107

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Kirios posted:

You called? :smug:

I don't know jack about part-picking, though, so that might take some time to work with.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Out of curiosity, can anyone tell me if there's 4-player split screen support for online multiplayer? A friend of mine who's throwing a party next weekend is also getting the game, so we were hoping to bring both games/consoles and get some 8-player matches going that way. I know Wii only supported 2-player split screen online, but I know they added 4-player Grand Prix support so I'm hoping the same might have been applied to online play.

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 28, 2014

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I'm no pro, but I learned from the best. Registered in the form.
Too bad I won't get to play it until 5 days after launch because there's no such thing as launch day delivery in Austria! :shepicide:

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.

Trash Boat posted:

Out of curiosity, can anyone tell me if there's 4-player split screen support for online multiplayer? A friend of mine who's throwing a party next weekend is also getting the game, so we were hoping to bring both games/consoles and get some 8-player matches going that way. I know Wii only supported 2-player split screen online, but I know they added 4-player Grand Prix support so I'm hoping the same might have been applied to online play.

Online is still limited to only two per console.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

Online is still limited to only two per console.

Well poo poo. Ah well, figured that'd probably be the case anyway. Just wanted to make sure.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
I hope you can have more than 2 players locally if someone is using the gamepad screen. (not talking about online at all)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Local is split-screen only, you can't play on the TV and the gamepad at the same time.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
You can have 4 local players just fine, but the gamepad player will not have their own isolated screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Liquid Penguins posted:

I hope you can have more than 2 players locally if someone is using the gamepad screen. (not talking about online at all)

You can have 4 players locally all on a TV split screen like the N64 Version had.

Also, it appears if you are doing single player you can put the entire game on just the Wii U gamepad and play without the TV at all.

• Locked thread