Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Dan7el posted:

Anyone else wonder about mass neither being created or destroyed as Frederica converts from girl to dragoon and back again?

That goes for pretty much any form of magic/sci-fi where something is being created/destroyed/teleported. It's best not to think about it too much, or just assume that the structure of their world allows for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Darth Walrus posted:

Her having a crush isn't a big deal - the bigger one is that they seem to be treating it rather like a legit pairing. Again, the problem is that it's not Shakespaeare, it's anime, a medium with a massive load of weird cultural baggage about the fetishisation of youth. Like I said, this is minor, and the show has been relatively tasteful so far, but coupled with all the nerdbait tropes that Chaika's design ticks off (white-haired little girl in stylised maid outfit with gigantic magical sniper rifle), it does trigger some rather uncomfortable associations.

Transplanting modern moral values onto works from another country based in a fictional universe based in fantasy in a pre-modern time is not going to end well so you can probably just stop there.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Plus, Chaika's memories are unreliable and possibly all fake. Also we're being lead to believe that she may actually be a Chaika head stuck on another body by magic and/or science and/or magic science.

So going off her given age for anything, much less relationship appropriateness, is sort of doomed from the get-go.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

Dan7el posted:

Anyone else wonder about mass neither being created or destroyed as Frederica converts from girl to dragoon and back again?

Again, I am guessing it all goes into Z-Space. That's just a guess though. The magic system is so not explained here. We got red-eyed ninja children and multiple-possible-clone princesses to worry about too.

However, I do have to agree with everyone else on the best part of this episode was the Frederica helping Toru come to his senses. You know some writers laughed themselves silly conceiving of this scene, and we are enjoying it too.

I don't think there's any reciprocal romance going on here. Also, is is specifically stated somewhere that Chaika is just 14-years old? That seems awfully young to be galavanting around the countryside alone with just a coffin and a high-powered magical anti-tank rifle.

I do like the technology of this world too, though. The automobiles are pretty cool, rifles, swords. Nice mixture.

w h o c a r e s

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

gobbledygoat posted:

w h o c a r e s

The people in this thread who contribute more than 8 letters per post, obviously.

Einander posted:

So going off her given age for anything, much less relationship appropriateness, is sort of doomed from the get-go.
Was there any mention of her age at all? I can't recall, but I would guess she'd be around 16/17 like most main love interests.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Yawgmoft posted:

Chaika may also see it as a possibility. At the least she seems to like the idea that it is possible.

I think it almost certainly because she was on Toru's bucket list. "Oh, well, you know, if Akari and Fredrica were dead, then you know."

Nobody appreciates being an afterthought in neither romantic or friendly relationship. She did consider his mind-confusion thing flattering up to that point though.

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009

HiveCommander posted:

The people in this thread who contribute more than 8 letters per post, obviously.

Was there any mention of her age at all? I can't recall, but I would guess she'd be around 16/17 like most main love interests.

Well it says Toru is 20 and Chaika is 14 in the blurb for the show in the first post of the thread, but I haven't seen anything in the show itself to show that that's the case.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Could have come from the novels, who knows.

Another thing to keep in mind is this: as an ongoing shonen anime based on ongoing light novels, the chance of any relationship developing beyond awkward blushing any time before the next ice age is basically zero.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

a kitten posted:

Could have come from the novels, who knows.

Another thing to keep in mind is this: as an ongoing shonen anime based on ongoing light novels, the chance of any relationship developing beyond awkward blushing any time before the next ice age is basically zero.

And given what we've seen of the show any kind of possible romance will probably be played up for massive trolling my Akari and maybe even Frederica.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Revolver Bunker posted:

And given what we've seen of the show any kind of possible romance will probably be played up for massive trolling my Akari and maybe even Frederica.

Massive trolling by Akari with Frederica as her unknowing but enthusiastic pawn.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

I think it almost certainly because she was on Toru's bucket list. "Oh, well, you know, if Akari and Fredrica were dead, then you know."

Nobody appreciates being an afterthought in neither romantic or friendly relationship. She did consider his mind-confusion thing flattering up to that point though.

I viewed that scene as more of "Frederika is a dragon that wants to kill me and Akari is Akari, so you're relatively normal by comparison." I guess the whole meal ticket thing would've been part of his subconscious.

Still, Chaika's response to being only the 'least worst of' was adorable as gently caress.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Kinda interesting that illusion-Chaika was speaking in whole sentences. A flaw in the illusion, or in his perception of Chaika? Or just a quick shorthand to let the viewers know that something screwy was going on even before it was explicitly spelled out?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The Sandman posted:

Kinda interesting that illusion-Chaika was speaking in whole sentences. A flaw in the illusion, or in his perception of Chaika? Or just a quick shorthand to let the viewers know that something screwy was going on even before it was explicitly spelled out?

Huh, I didn't catch that. It was probably his perception, or rather his imagination, as well as simple hint.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
I figured it was just because the illusions were set in the future where she'd presumably learned how to speak properly.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The Sandman posted:

Probably the later. Its the same exact trick they did with Akari/Frederica an episode back. You knew something was up the moment they started talking and emoting.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Eh this was a decent filler episode.

Though I still find it strange that no one seems to know anything about Gaz other than being a mage and making everything magic related.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
I like the twist on the "We're traveling performers" gambit is that instead of faking it for laughs, they just use their expertly-honed assassination skills to do silly party tricks.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Annointed posted:

Eh this was a decent filler episode.

Wait for it...

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I like how Akari has apparently been put in charge of general Bullshitting for no particular reason aside from unusual (but still deadpan) passion for the job.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
"And you guys said I was crazy for putting points into Performance. :smug:"

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Toru's expression when they went to the prison to rescue the Chaika impersonator was priceless. :allears:

"Why me?"

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
So I'm guessing it will turn out that the various Chaikas are homunculi Gaz created and someone is manipulating them for some presumably sinister purpose now.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Blhue posted:

So I'm guessing it will turn out that the various Chaikas are homunculi Gaz created and someone is manipulating them for some presumably sinister purpose now.
My guess more or less agrees with this. I think Gaz set this up prior to his death. If he dies, his body parts are essentially immortal. All they need to do is be gathered together again and he'll auto-reconstitute.

Get these innocent looking little 14-year olds with various skills out there to begin the process. Someone is organizing this. They got their money and equipment from somebody.

Speaking of which...Chaika appears to be loaded.

This episode was no where near as fun as the last. I'm trying to think of what purpose it might have? A little Chaika character development? A tiny bit of development about the current government and the guys that are supposed to be hunting Chaika? The troupe display was mildly funny but nothing like last episode's punch to the face antics.

No real development. I did find a Wiki about this show, and apparently Chaika really is just 14. Toru is 20 and Akari is 17.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
We got a little bit of outside political development with the opening scene and the news at the end that someone is rebelling and Hijacking a floating castle in true D&D villain fashion. The entertainer bit was fun at least. Overall though this is an extremely skippable episode. I can only assume they stretched out some dumb minor side story for pacing reasons to set up the next four episodes or whatever.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
This was just one of those forgettable D&D sessions where nothing loving happened.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
It was still pretty entertaining, probably because I like watching Toru suffer and Akari be Akari.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
My theory based on this episode? Gaz doesn't exist. There may have been a powerful Mage at one point, but he died long ago and so in order to push magic further and improve quality of life some group created someone known as Gaz. That way they could experiment with crazy poo poo and not have it fall back on them, and once it all progressed quite nicely they simply "killed" Gaz and perhaps even let their test subjects run off with some stuff. Which would explain why Toru was questioning why it seemed like all the hero's ended up with a poo poo end. The Chaika project is somebody's reaction to that original project and bring it to life. I may be way off base, but at the very least I think there was never a person called Gaz as people don't seem to remember him at all.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Jackard posted:

This was just one of those forgettable D&D sessions where nothing loving happened.

Ever had your players try to befriend the bandit clan instead of slaughtering them in half an hour like you planned? yeaaah.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

The Black Stones posted:

My theory based on this episode? Gaz doesn't exist. There may have been a powerful Mage at one point, but he died long ago and so in order to push magic further and improve quality of life some group created someone known as Gaz. That way they could experiment with crazy poo poo and not have it fall back on them, and once it all progressed quite nicely they simply "killed" Gaz and perhaps even let their test subjects run off with some stuff. Which would explain why Toru was questioning why it seemed like all the hero's ended up with a poo poo end. The Chaika project is somebody's reaction to that original project and bring it to life. I may be way off base, but at the very least I think there was never a person called Gaz as people don't seem to remember him at all.

Nah, Gaz existed, the point is there's a divorce between the crimes performed by the central ministry and the citizens of the periphery.

The bad ends of all the heroes is just that it's post-end of history, and people are finding new reasons to kill one another. It's like everyone dogpiling the runaway in Civ, winning, and immediately squabbling over the scraps. It's not like the heroes are random hobos, their stories are corroborated by actual states.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
A nice laid back episode.

Yet I'm excited for next week since if I'm right going by the preview, we might finally get a touch of Toru and Akari's proper backstory?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

:3:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Frederika winking just makes that image complete.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I like how this show seems to actually be an rather in depth look at the difficulties of managing a post-war occupation of a belligerent power with some "Where is The Grand Duchess Anastasia Romanova?".

Though some things are a bit missing for me, but probably because Game of Thrones spoiled me. But I would have liked it if Chaika had something of a future Monarch inside her and be somewhat Imperious about her duty to protect her citizens and this resulting in some sort of insurrection/growing Army in Exile that would come out of the woodwork later on to support her claim.

:sigh: When is Winds of Winter coming out.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

I like how this show seems to actually be an rather in depth look at the difficulties of managing a post-war occupation of a belligerent power with some "Where is The Grand Duchess Anastasia Romanova?".

Though some things are a bit missing for me, but probably because Game of Thrones spoiled me. But I would have liked it if Chaika had something of a future Monarch inside her and be somewhat Imperious about her duty to protect her citizens and this resulting in some sort of insurrection/growing Army in Exile that would come out of the woodwork later on to support her claim.

:sigh: When is Winds of Winter coming out.

There are a lot of Chaikas out there, one might be doing just that.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Lurking Haro posted:

There are a lot of Chaikas out there, one might be doing just that.
That Chaika would be like The Lady from Black Company, except working to prevent the resurrection of Gaz and rule the empire in his stead.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jackard posted:

That Chaika would be like The Lady from Black Company, except working to prevent the resurrection of Gaz and rule the empire in his stead.

Well now I want a Black Company anime that will never happen. Thanks.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Blhue posted:

Well now I want a Black Company anime that will never happen. Thanks.
Its okay, just continue watching the childish patsy Chaika that inevitably fucks everything up by resurrecting the major villain of the setting

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jackard posted:

Its okay, just continue watching the childish patsy Chaika that inevitably fucks everything up by resurrecting the major villain of the setting

I actually want the ending to be Chaika and crew overcome many trials and tribulations to gather all her father's body parts, and they give him that funeral she wants and then she drives off into the sunset. That's it. Nothing happens. The end. The story was about the journey, not any climax.

vvvv I still need to finish watching Scrapped Princess one of these days. And Chaika could go off the rails and then just have a totally uneventful ending!

chumbler fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 31, 2014

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Considering how off the rails Scrapped Princess goes, I'm not sure how likely that scenario is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

chumbler posted:

I actually want the ending to be Chaika and crew overcome many trials and tribulations to gather all her father's body parts, and they give him that funeral she wants and then she drives off into the sunset. That's it. Nothing happens. The end. The story was about the journey, not any climax.
Gonna be the villain banking on the stupidity of the protagonists but they manage to overcome with their vaguely-defined magical powers and a dragon

• Locked thread