Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010

blackswordca posted:

So a call came in:

From the other company. They called my references, everything was perfect so they are going to send me an offer. They want me to be tier 1 for 6 months first, then promote me to tier 2 after that trial period. I should have an offer today, and when I do, its time to give notice.

Echoing the sentiments about future growth, although any place sounds better than the current job whos business model is loosely based around baboons slinging poo poo at one another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Sickening posted:

I am always leery of future growth promises. They seem like a way to add value to a position without actually bringing any value. Do you want a teir 1 position? That is what I would be asking myself when looking at any offers.

You are special however. Take any position they give you at any price.
Get that offer written so that after 6 months they must offer you the position.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Sickening posted:

I am always leery of future growth promises. They seem like a way to add value to a position without actually bringing any value. Do you want a teir 1 position? That is what I would be asking myself when looking at any offers.

So a job offer came in.

base raise of 10%, plus monthly bonuses ( will need to see how those work )

Mostly work from home with some onsite. Monthly cell phone stipend as well. Wage renegotiation after probation is done ( 3 months )

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

blackswordca posted:

So a job offer came in.

Mostly work from home with some onsite. Monthly cell phone stipend as well.

Work from home is a really nice perk. Congrats.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

blackswordca posted:

So a call came in:

From the other company. They called my references, everything was perfect so they are going to send me an offer. They want me to be tier 1 for 6 months first, then promote me to tier 2 after that trial period. I should have an offer today, and when I do, its time to give notice.

Now keep in mind that we all agree it's a terrible idea to burn bridges. You should always go through the proper procedures established by the unwritten rule of two weeks notice and the appropriate offloading of tasks and knowledge transfers.

I'm pretty sure we can also all agree that you should just wait until the day before the new job starts and do this nsfw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIqeXSYc8nE

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

blackswordca posted:

So a call came in:

Get it in writing!

Congrats

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can't believe you're trying to entrap your old boss by leaving and forcing him to be exposed as a colossal waste of space.

I've heard from sources that my old boss is still playing the game of blaming me for issues 10 months after I quit, despite everything working perfectly while I was there. And people are believing it. It's nice to have confirmation that you really did work with and for complete arseholes, makes the walking out decision feel even better.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Oh my god I can't believe blackswordca is actually getting out of there.

DONT gently caress THIS UP MAN

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I've only lurked this thread, if only for an idea of how not to treat IT in the future, but godspeed blackswordca.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Don't forget to keep in touch with a few friends on the inside who can feed you inside information so you know what happens once you leave.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Renegret posted:

Don't forget to keep in touch with a few friends on the inside who can feed you inside information so you know what happens once you leave so you can pass that poo poo on to us.

ftfy

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Congrats blackswordca!!! I'll drink a beer tonight for you. :guinness:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Bravo! If you're leaving any friends behind, see if you can score them an interview too.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Sickening posted:

When I took my posuition here, the hiring manager basically said I was overqualified for the position they hired me on, but a position would be opening up within 6 months they wanted to move me to. That happened in 3 months.

While I agree with what you're saying, it's not ALWAYS bullshit. And honestly, I'd tell BSCA to take it anyway.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

blackswordca posted:

So a job offer came in.

Mostly work from home with some onsite. Monthly cell phone stipend as well. Wage renegotiation after probation is done ( 3 months )

Holy poo poo congratulations. I actually feel real physical relief at you getting out of that godawful position. I'll have to buy you a beer or something.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Now keep in mind that we all agree it's a terrible idea to burn bridges. You should always go through the proper procedures established by the unwritten rule of two weeks notice and the appropriate offloading of tasks and knowledge transfers.
Two weeks notice definitely does not apply when you're dealing with a lovely employer.

nitrogen posted:

While I agree with what you're saying, it's not ALWAYS bullshit. And honestly, I'd tell BSCA to take it anyway.
And if it comes with a pay raise, there's no reason NOT to take it. Even if the promised promotion falls through and he's stuck doing tier 1 forever, he's getting paid more than he is now. That's pretty cool.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

martyrdumb posted:

Two weeks notice definitely does not apply when you're dealing with a lovely employer.

The last job I quit was a simple email saying "Effectively immediately I resign from my position. Send my stuff here".

10 other employees including 2 of my managers quit in a similar fashion and will give me glowing reviews. So yeah, sometimes you can burn bridges.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

That's why the video was linked as a suggested method.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
But letting a prospective employer know that you will give 2 weeks notice is good. I have seen willingness to just jump with no notice take someone out of contention.

Congrats Blackswordca.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

SubjectVerbObject posted:

But letting a prospective employer know that you will give 2 weeks notice is good. I have seen willingness to just jump with no notice take someone out of contention.

Congrats Blackswordca.

Take 2 weeks off between jobs. Your vacation time likely doesn't rack up until the following year anyways so you might as well take some time for yourself.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

m.hache posted:

The last job I quit was a simple email saying "Effectively immediately I resign from my position. Send my stuff here".

10 other employees including 2 of my managers quit in a similar fashion and will give me glowing reviews. So yeah, sometimes you can burn bridges.

I found out that my company takes the "no negative references" trend so seriously that if an employee burns a bridge and grinds it into charcoal dust, they still won't say anything negative. Because of this, it's common practice in the call center, when someone completely snaps, to just get up and quit in the middle of the day, go home and apply for unemployment claiming they were fired. Then they'll approved because even though they shouldn't get it, the company won't bother denying that they quit and weren't fired.

(When I leave, I'm still handing in a letter 2 weeks in advance. I also have no interest in committing fraud.)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
If you can take some time off between jobs do it! Good luck to you.

I had an unsolicited call from a recruiter for an I.T. Manager job. It sounds like a tricky situation that I probably don't want to get into but it's nice to get that first call to help build some momentum.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Dick Trauma posted:

If you can take some time off between jobs do it! Good luck to you.

I had an unsolicited call from a recruiter for an I.T. Manager job. It sounds like a tricky situation that I probably don't want to get into but it's nice to get that first call to help build some momentum.

More tricky than having all your management looking for an excuse to fire you?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Blackswordca, just hand them a note saying "effective two weeks ago, I resign my position."

99% of the time you shouldn't burn bridges.

Burn this one, piss on the ashes, and then burn them again to make sure they're burned.

Remember, they wanted you to eat 1/3rd of your expenses.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MJP posted:

Blackswordca, just hand them a note saying "effective two weeks ago, I resign my position."

99% of the time you shouldn't burn bridges.

Burn this one, piss on the ashes, and then burn them again to make sure they're burned.

Remember, they wanted you to eat 1/3rd of your expenses.

Hit up everyone you had a good relationship with for an unofficial reference. Then turn in a "I am resigning effective immediately, please have my final paycheck to me in <whatever the minimum time in your state is>. In California it's 72 hours, and not business hours either, so burn your bridges on the Friday before a 3-day weekend if at all possible.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

mllaneza posted:

Hit up everyone you had a good relationship with for an unofficial reference. Then turn in a "I am resigning effective immediately, please have my final paycheck to me in <whatever the minimum time in your state is>. In California it's 72 hours, and not business hours either, so burn your bridges on the Friday before a 3-day weekend if at all possible.

While hilarious that probably just makes some poor accountant have to stay late while the jerkoff bosses just go home early.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

mllaneza posted:

I dont want to mess up my vacation pay.. ill see whats required to keep that and go from there.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

put in for immediate vacation use, fake a family death. never return from it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Paladine_PSoT posted:

put in for immediate vacation use, fake a family death. never return from it.
I really doubt he'd get the time off approved, so he'd have to just call in one morning.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

blackswordca posted:

I dont want to mess up my vacation pay.. ill see whats required to keep that and go from there.

In Texas they only have to pay you for 3 days of whatever your total is. Check the laws on that first.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

So a two week notice was given in.

The owner I talked to actually swore pretty loudly and tried to match what I was making to keep me.

I didnt accept his offer.

I am staying for the two weeks, but I will be getting my vacation paid out so thats an extra 5 weeks of pay there. I start the new job June 16

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

blackswordca posted:

The owner I talked to actually swore pretty loudly and tried to match what I was making to keep me.

I am staying for the two weeks, but I will be getting my vacation paid out so thats an extra 5 weeks of pay there. I start the new job June 16

I have never, ever been so happy to read a post on this forum before. :woop:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

blackswordca posted:

And aint this poo poo just the most satisfying thing you could experience in your situation? Man, I guess he really needed you at that company, guess he should have figured out some way to express that :smug:.

Congrats man.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

blackswordca posted:

CON loving GRATS!

Beer will be drank in your honor tonight at my house as well as the rest of the country, I'm sure.

edit: Please tell us how you rejected his counteroffer. "Well, I would but <litany of things they have done>"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

blackswordca posted:

:vince:

I'm happy for you!

EDIT: The "tricky situation" at the job I was contacted about is that it's:

1. A talent agency. Talent agents are notoriously horrible to work for. We're talking poo-flinging bad.
2. They have had a falling out with their MSP and want to switch to in-house I.T. but only want to start with one person to provide all their support for a 70 person, two location company. 24/7 support! They've been spending over $12K per month for the MSP.

It feels like a fire into which I will jump from my frying pan.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Paladine_PSoT posted:

edit: Please tell us how you rejected his counteroffer. "Well, I would but <litany of things they have done>"

Yeah definitely gonna need more details on exactly how it went down and exactly what swear words were used.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

blackswordca posted:

:canada:

It's actually happening.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

:vince:

I'm happy for you!

EDIT: The "tricky situation" at the job I was contacted about is that it's:

1. A talent agency. Talent agents are notoriously horrible to work for. We're talking poo-flinging bad.
2. They have had a falling out with their MSP and want to switch to in-house I.T. but only want to start with one person to provide all their support for a 70 person, two location company. 24/7 support! They've been spending over $12K per month for the MSP.

It feels like a fire into which I will jump from my frying pan.

Well, you know they have 144k to work with at least.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

blackswordca posted:

:siren: :toot: :yotj: :toot: :siren:

Good luck with the new one !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

blackswordca posted:

I'd almost demand to be paid out for the PTO before you leave, but that's me. Congratulations.

• Locked thread