Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Dick Trauma posted:

:vince:

I'm happy for you!

EDIT: The "tricky situation" at the job I was contacted about is that it's:

1. A talent agency. Talent agents are notoriously horrible to work for. We're talking poo-flinging bad.
2. They have had a falling out with their MSP and want to switch to in-house I.T. but only want to start with one person to provide all their support for a 70 person, two location company. 24/7 support! They've been spending over $12K per month for the MSP.

It feels like a fire into which I will jump from my frying pan.

I don't know anything about talent agencies, but the 24/7 thing with no support staff drowns out everything else as far as I'm concerned. Forget the amount of actual hours that turns out to be, it's the fact that you would have no freedom to go anywhere or do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

blackswordca posted:

So a two week notice was given in.

The owner I talked to actually swore pretty loudly and tried to match what I was making to keep me.

I didnt accept his offer.

I am staying for the two weeks, but I will be getting my vacation paid out so thats an extra 5 weeks of pay there. I start the new job June 16

:sbahj:

Go dude go!

J
Jun 10, 2001

blackswordca posted:

The owner I talked to actually swore pretty loudly and tried to match what I was making to keep me.

I am staying for the two weeks, but I will be getting my vacation paid out so thats an extra 5 weeks of pay there. I start the new job June 16

:patriot:

Best of luck with the new job!

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

blackswordca posted:

You know this is all your fault, right?

You made this happen, you deserve it! I am very happy for you.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

blackswordca posted:

I really hope you didn't quote what you were actually going to make at this new place.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

anthonypants posted:

I really hope you didn't quote what you were actually going to make at this new place.

I really hope you gave him a number below what you're currently making with him and when he asked why you explained "because I hate working with $accountmanager and $sradmin THAT. MUCH."

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

blackswordca posted:

Holy gently caress man! I'm so loving happy for you.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I really hope you gave him a number below what you're currently making with him and when he asked why you explained "because I hate working with $accountmanager and $sradmin THAT. MUCH."

"Actually, im paying them"

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

blackswordca posted:

:masterstroke:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

blackswordca posted:

As a lurker I am going to miss your stories, but I don't think I have ever been happier for someone else in my life. Congratulations man!

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

blackswordca posted:

Congrats, good job not giving in.

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm happy for you!

1. A talent agency. Talent agents are notoriously horrible to work for. We're talking poo-flinging bad.
2. They have had a falling out with their MSP and want to switch to in-house I.T. but only want to start with one person to provide all their support for a 70 person, two location company. 24/7 support! They've been spending over $12K per month for the MSP.

I hear your rates just went to 175k a year for that.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Way to go blackswordca, and good luck to you too Dick.

In the meantime the HR department at my soon-to-be former place of work summed up my overtime, unspent vacation days, and misc. hours they usually don't pay out but expect you to take as time off "when you have the time".

All in all I'm leaving this job with a final paycheck that's a wee bit larger than usual. roughly $15,000 - after taxes. On top of that I spent most of today getting teary farewells from the users who seem to have taken a linking to me because I take the time to explain things to them without using buzzwords or making them feel inferior. They chipped in for a nice gift basket for me too with a lovely selection of beers and chocolate.

Monday I'm officially working for city hall, for 10% more than my current salary. You shouldn't have told me to be happy with the <1% raise, old boss. :smug:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

blackswordca posted:

Make a "Na na na, na na na, hey hey, goodbye" loop your new ringtone and keep calling yourself IMHO.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
PS once you have your final check never ever ever ever ever answer another call from them

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

A ticket didnt come in...

User: "Hey Mr. Clark, we have a new guy starting today, can you get his accounts set up, it's real important"

Me: "Sure, just go ahead and email me his name, title, and supervisor name and I'll take care of the rest"

User: "Will do! That was really easy!"

Still hadnt received any email regarding this by the time I left my office 5 hours later.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

blackswordca posted:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

blackswordca posted:

:cheers: That's awesome, congrats! I'd been reading your posts here & in the previous thread...like anyone else, I was genuinely surprised you didn't quit sooner. Glad you got something better lined up, now grab a beer & some marshmallows, then wait for the inevitable implosion :)

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Ozz81 posted:

:cheers: That's awesome, congrats! I'd been reading your posts here & in the previous thread...like anyone else, I was genuinely surprised you didn't quit sooner. Glad you got something better lined up, now grab a beer & some marshmallows, then wait for the inevitable implosion :)

Or him getting sued because quitting and forcing the exposure of the incompetence of everyone there is entrapment.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I just got told, with a serious face, by someone that works in the service desk, that my computer has a botnet (note the wording) and it means I'm pinging the entire network! :downsrim:

I have no words for the amazement I felt in terms of complete loving stupidity that spewed from this persons face. To make it even better, they don't understand the difference between botnets and viruses, before any research has been done. The same people who have archaic and retarded demands for how to deal with said item that *add* a substantial amount of time towards handling that item, as opposed to creating a more efficient process. Am I in the wrong job or is this standard for every single large business IT enterprise because holy poo poo is it going to drive me face first into alcohol - I don't drink. This is when people :yotj:, right?

The best part by the way, is the SD person doesn't understand the difference between someone opening a ticket and the person being responsible for the issue in the ticket - myself being the former, not the latter.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

blackswordca posted:

AND LO IT HAS COME TO PASS

Congrats, man! That rocks!

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Crowley posted:

Way to go blackswordca, and good luck to you too Dick.

Ditto

Crowley posted:

Monday I'm officially working for city hall, for 10% more than my current salary. You shouldn't have told me to be happy with the <1% raise, old boss. :smug:

Congrats to you too! This thread is giving me the warm fuzzies today.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

blackswordca posted:

This has brightened my day, I'm still smiling even if my rubs hurt from a bike fall.

Do you have an exit interview lined up?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

blackswordca posted:

OMG

I'm so happy for you!

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

ConfusedUs posted:

OMG

I'm so happy for you!

I think I need to quote this image because IT'S HAPPENING

Congrats Blackswordca! :yotj: :yotj: :yotj:

I vote the thread title be changed to something more appropriate for this occasion.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

blackswordca posted:

I've been lurking these threads for almost four years and I actually jumped out of my chair and did a fist pump when I read this. Congratulations man!!

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Congrats Blackswordca!

Anyway, you guys think you could post more scenarios for me(based off problems you actually solved recently or at an earlier date)?

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud
How long before this job somehow turns out to be worse?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Congrats blackswordca. An entire subforum is cheering for you.

I know this has all been horrible, and I'm sorry you were put through it. But you persevered, you somehow remained professional -- in the face of some incredible horseshit -- and you overcame. Congrats on the new gig.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Malkar posted:

How long before this job somehow turns out to be worse?

Hahaha, that's impossible!

...we just made it worse, didn't we? :ohdear:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Langolas posted:

I vote the thread title be changed to something more appropriate for this occasion.

A ticket came in... All hail Blacksword CA's YOTJ!

men with puns
Feb 8, 2010
Young Orc

Paladine_PSoT posted:

A ticket came in... All hail Blacksword CA's YOTJ!

A ticket came in... blackswordca did the needful

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud
A post-mortem came in...

http://www.joyent.com/blog/postmortem-for-outage-of-us-east-1-may-27-2014

The command to reboot the select set of new systems that needed to be updated was mis-typed, and instead specified all servers in the datacenter.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I am out and will never have to take a ticket again.

Newjob pays roughly 2.5x what oldjob paid and is a pure developer position. I worked a full day today and was not interrupted even once. I think that the longest I ever went in the 5 years that I worked at my last job without being interrupted was maybe 20-25 minutes.

:toot:

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Curious. Any IT support guys here in Georgia? What's it like?

should i be scared?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm happy for you!

Ha, as someone who works for an MSP, this brings up a recent situation with a client where the "business manager" didn't see the value that we provided as an MSP. Never mind the mountain of tickets submitted each month by their employees, requests for various hardware or software upgrades, myself and my partner working on a couple of their personal machines and advising the kind of replacements they should look at getting...we didn't "provide enough value". Business manager tells us mid-way through April that they've decided to go with another local MSP, and that they're ending their contract with us at the end of May.

For the last 2 weeks we've done our due diligence to get all their information detailed so it's ready to go this Friday to hand over, since Saturday is their last day with us. And so far, we have no idea who their new MSP is, no contact info for them, no way to hand over their info so the new provider can check it over and be ready for the switch. We either get no response, or have been given several supposed dates when the new provider will be meeting them on site, with zero follow-through. So we're at a point now where once Friday gets here, my partner, our service manager, and our account manager will go on site, deliver their paperwork with all the updated passwords and hardware information, and wipe our hands clean of them regardless of their readiness.

Which also means that several licenses will be cancelled and credited back, since they leased them instead of outright purchasing through us or buying the licenses themselves. Plus a couple projects that we've had on the back burner for them, where we couldn't pin down a good date to do any upgrading or implementation because said "business manager" threw a fit about having to reboot servers or temporarily take their network down. I'll be so happy when this whole poo poo show is over with, only 2 more days :allears:

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

blackswordca posted:

yessssssssssssssssssssssss

Awesome news Blacksword :)

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I heartily endorse the idea of updating the thread title: Create a new hire account for blackswordca

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

blackswordca posted:

I feel like changing your avatar, but it's already someone cutting away chains and I can't think of anything better.
Congratulations!

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Dick Trauma posted:

Ermmm.

As someone who works for an MSP, admittedly in the Bay Area, this seems quite reasonable. We have clients who pay that kind of money (and some more). For that they get an dedicated onsite tech or two, plus significant amounts of sysadmin and network admin time. Especially if it's 24/7 work, that seems completely reasonable if you figure you're getting much more than a decent jack of all trades person at $144k/yearly. (Of course, there's also the fact that $144k in the Bay Area, SF especially these days, is "meh, you can do better if you update your LinkedIn to indicate IT helpdesk as a skill". And that as someone earning $144k in SF, you'll be lucky to get 500 square feet of living space that's in your price range, albeit it's over a mafia front restaurant in Bayview because the Tenderloin is too gentrified these days).

Of course, all of this is irrelevant if the MSP sucks balls, so if that's the case $12k is certainly too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Blackswordca, I've been reading your stories with a mix of incredulity and horror for a while now. Congratulations on getting out from under that poo poo. Remember to turn on audit trails just before you go out the door on your last day.

• Locked thread