Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fugue Stater
Oct 17, 2012

life is killing me posted:

Holy gently caress this thread is still going.

This thread is an amazingly rare and thorough look inside the head of someone with severe decision-making deficiencies and self-delusional tendencies. Those traits are usually coupled with angry self-defensiveness (such that they would never allow a thread like this to get this far), but to Benny's credit, he has stuck it out through all the abuse and keeps us updated, knowing that he will likely get more ridicule for his efforts. Hopefully he's getting something out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
Quiet from Benny makes me nervous. What's going on over there Benny? You ok?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Eris posted:

Quiet from Benny makes me nervous. What's going on over there Benny? You ok?
I'm fine :)

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Hope the job is still going all right, dude!

MEMRI
Jun 18, 2012

Keep that job. I'm rooting for you, bud.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I've started volunteering again. If I don't see another James Patterson book again, I'll be a very, very happy person.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002

Benny the Snake posted:

I've started volunteering again. If I don't see another James Patterson book again, I'll be a very, very happy person.

That's great Benny. You are still employed though, right? How's the tooth?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Eris posted:

That's great Benny. You are still employed though, right? How's the tooth?
You know what, I'm going to have to come clean. A lot of you are going to be pissed off. But at this point, I don't care. I'm trying my best to be as honest as I can. I know I've been hiding this from you guys for a while, but to be honest I didn't want to put up with any crap at the time. But now the dust has settled enough to where I feel comfortable enough telling you all what happened. I was fired two weeks ago on May 9th.

My manager pulled me in his office and told me he was letting me go. Why? I made one too many mistakes of which I took full responsibility for. First week I accidentally sold an item without that turned out to be out of stock because I didn't double-check whether it was in stock anymore. The second week, I accidentally undersold a liquidated item, and we lost money on it. Third week was the last straw for my manager. I printed out a shipping label that already had one. Overall, I must have lost the company about $50 and change. Just like I realized after being fired from Target that my habitual lying was a problem, I learned after being fired from my office job that my carelessness was a problem. I was honest with my manager at my office job because I learned my lesson from Target. Going into my next job, I'm going to be more thoughtful of my actions because I learned my lesson from this job. I messed up.

However.

I was never trained properly during my job. I was tasked with starting the eBay account when nobody else had ever used the site on the job. It took three times before my manager figured out the right pricing structure. Not only that, but it wasn't until the end of my first week until he told me how to charge for shipping properly. My terminal didn't have the UPS shipping program installed or a shipping label. So I'd have to hop on another terminal to print out shipping labels and at one point I was plugging in numbers and copying it down on post-it notes so I could get the shipping by pound rates right. When my manager showed me how to calculate shipping costs, I was explicitly told that we were inflating shipping costs to squeeze more profits from our customers. This bothered me. Above all else, I have one conviction when it comes to work: as long as it's honest, I'll do any job provided that I'm compensated fairly for it. Sure, we were selling items made off the blood, sweat, and tears of exploited workers abroad. I can't do anything about that, though. I was, however, implicit in unfairly and dishonestly charging customers more for their products. It weighed on me. But I had to keep this job because I needed to work my way out of this hole I've buried myself into.

Things got worse from there. I was constantly asking questions to my manager because I had no idea what I was doing. From day one, I had no idea how to do online sales and my manager knew that. But he never trained me properly. I was shown how to make a listing online once and I was left on my own. Oh I got help, but it always felt like I was being resented from my manager and co-workers for it. As if I should have figured out everything on my own. On top of that, I was made in charge of processing returns and liquidating them on Craigslist by my second week. I was tossed into the ocean and expected to learn to swim, and when I needed a life preserver, they threw me a loving anchor.

I was never told anything, either. My manager never pulled me aside and warned me I was messing up. He always told me it was okay when I made a mistake and he made no indication of anything else. In fact, on my second week when I was about to make a Craigslist sale, I opened the box and found that it was the wrong color than the SKU on the box indicated. My manager told me that he switched the items at the last minute and he didn't bother telling me because gently caress you, apparently. I also wasn't provided with the right tools, either. When processing returns, I had no scanner. I had to copy the SKU numbers myself onto a notepad or take pictures on my phone. This was a shoddy operation and one where I was singled out for every little thing I did wrong. When he fired me, one of the reasons my manager gave me was that I yawned too much. My meds make me drowsy and taking them was non-negotiable. Besides, what kind of manager gives "yawning too much" as a loving reason to fire someone? A petty one, that's who. My manager was a two-faced snake and so was one of my coworkers, the keyholder. She was the unofficial second in command and she wouldn't show up half the time until five minutes after we were supposed to open. She especially resented helping me. And I have a feeling that she was a major influence on my manager's decision to fire me.

But unlike losing my job at Target, I'm not devastated over it. When I worked at Target, they trained me in every little facet of the job. I was trained to be a cashier, a janitor, and a cart attendant all over again. And losing that job devastated me because they properly trained and supervised me. I wasn't trained or supervised properly in this office job and my manger told me that he "didn't want to babysit me." What he really meant was that he didn't want to be bothered doing his job of training or supervising me at all. The fucker even had cameras in every room except the restroom and even had separate cameras for each desk. And he still failed to supervise me properly. I know I'm repeating myself, but gently caress it I need to get this out of me. I have a nasty feeling that I actually escaped a bad situation, like I managed to jump ship before the Titanic started sinking. During our second week, the owner of the company called the manager in a panic because our Amazon account was in danger of being revoked. When I asked why, he told me that they got in trouble for "gaming the system." Something tells me that they're going to get their asses raided by the FTC and I got out in time to avoid the mess. This was a Colonies case waiting to happen.

So yeah, I'm looking for jobs again. I liked working in an office job, so I'm focusing on getting another one. In fact, I've recently applied to a company that my cousin works in accounting for and she told me she'd give me a good word and keep her ears to the ground over there for me. I'm also having my resume checked by an aunt who works as a job recruiter. I've put down online sales under the skills section on my resume. I have an idea of how to respond to questions about my online sales experience, but I'm going to save that for another post. I had to cancel my dental appointments because I lost my job, but thankfully I should still be covered for fillings once my Medi-Cal application goes through. So this is where I stand right now, again without a job. But this time, I know what I did wrong. I know now that I have to be much more mindful about my actions if I want to hold on to a job. And I've learned that I should focus on working in a bigger office and be much more aware of my surroundings. I know now how they'll unload on me every little thing for me to do without a whole lot of training because I'm the new guy. And I'll use that experience so I can hold on to my next job longer than I did this one.

Oh and I'm waiting to hear back from a local law firm I interviewed at last Friday for an administrative position. I hope so much that I get this job. It would give me so much prestige to work in a law firm and make my resume much more impressive. I sent a thank-you-email the same day of the interview and sent another email yesterday asking if the position is still open. I was told I would hear back from them by Tuesday, but I figure it won't be for another couple of days. Right now, I'm applying to between twelve and fifteen jobs a week online, so it's a lot of cover letters and a lot of sending resumes out. It's a numbers game, that's how I'm looking at it.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 28, 2014

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Good luck finding a job, again, Benny.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

nerve posted:

Good luck finding a job, again, Benny.
Thank you.

Oh, and I'm making the most of my volunteer position here at the library. I don't know if I've said this already, but one of the perks is that I can keep whatever withdrawn or donated book for myself before it's put on the shelves for sale. So far I have a collection of Ray Bradbury short stories, "Thousand Cranes" by Pulitzer prize-winning author Yasunari Kawabata, and a Dennis Lehane book. Currently, I'm reading "Boomsday" by Christopher Buckley, who's become my new favorite writer.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 28, 2014

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
lol

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
lmao

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

That sucks that no one ever taught you how to pay attention. Good idea that you'll try doing it in your next job.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
Way too many words about how you couldn't figure out how to do an ebay listing on your own jesus. My 82 year old aunt figured out ebay.

Maybe one day you will decide the lesson you need to learn is personal responsibility instead of dumping a huge wall of excuses down but

probably not

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
I can't even be mad, that sounds like a really lovely low paying skeevy-rear end crap job, which is pretty much what everyone thought going into it I guess.

I guess only lying about having a job for 20 days is sort of an improvement?

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Maybe you can take some of those books you get from volunteering and sell them on ebay to make some extra cash.

Oh wait...

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
That's great Benny. I mean, it sucks that the job was awful, and that you got fired but honestly -- I saw this coming. Not the you getting fired (although that's not shocking -- which is why I prompted you) but just the unprofessionalism of how quickly you were hired, with no experience in what they were doing. You took a fly by night job, and it barely lasted a night.

P.S. Law firms don't add prestige. Holding a job adds prestige. Accomplishments add prestige. Just ... find a job you can do, and do it. You may have liked working in an office, but ... please don't limit yourself to that.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Queen Elizatits posted:

Way too many words about how you couldn't figure out how to do an ebay listing on your own jesus. My 82 year old aunt figured out ebay.

Maybe one day you will decide the lesson you need to learn is personal responsibility instead of dumping a huge wall of excuses down but
It wasn't so much creating the listings at all. I figured out how to do that pretty easily. It was how to price the items in the first place. Like I said, it took a whole week before my manager showed me how to calculate for shipping costs properly. We would advertise "free shipping" and pass the cost of shipping onto the customer by adding it into the price. So for that first week, I was selling items at a low profit margin because I wasn't told how to price them right. Not to mention the fact that we were inflating shipping costs on top of that.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Benny the Snake posted:

It wasn't so much creating the listings at all. I figured out how to do that pretty easily. It was how to price the items in the first place. Like I said, it took a whole week before my manager showed me how to calculate for shipping costs properly. We would advertise "free shipping" and pass the cost of shipping onto the customer by adding it into the price. So for that first week, I was selling items at a low profit margin because I wasn't told how to price them right. Not to mention the fact that we were inflating shipping costs on top of that.

You're inflating your free shipping costs?

Pricing is easy with the internet. Look at other listings. Look at how much you paid. Pick a price. Bam

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
As a lawyer and an avid reader of this thread, please don't get a job doing legal administration at a law firm if you are having issues with being careless and/or lacking attention to detail.

It's one thing to cost a shifty ebay business a few bucks because you messed up transcribing the SKUs or didn't double-check stock, but inattention to detail when working with legal documents could not only cost the firm thousands in fees, lost billable hours, lost clients, etc., but it could lead to major legal consequences for the lawyers involved if you truly gently caress up in some monumental way, and consequences for the clients themselves if they end up losing their case, or having void documents, because you did something wrong.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW
Man Who Fails At Putting Things Into Boxes Can't Manage Large Sales Portfolio.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
Finally, at least we see some loving emotion.

Benny, I'm pretty sure that job was about equal to that one we found on Monster in level of scammy. You shouldn't have taken it in the first place, but now you have another lovely job in your rear view mirror to have to lie about in future interviews.

Have you considered other big box stores? Walmart, Cosco, Sams Club etc? Surely you can peddle carts at any number of these other shops.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Magnus Gallant posted:

Pricing is easy with the internet. Look at other listings. Look at how much you paid. Pick a price. Bam
My manager told me to price our items according to competitor prices at first. But after a few days, it became clear that we were making miniscule profits by doing so. What didn't help was that the warehouse company we were buying items from was selling their items directly over eBay as well. So eventually, I was told to price according to markup and ignore the competition. And yes, I was inflating shipping costs as per the directions from my manager. I'm not proud of it.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Magnus Gallant posted:

What he means is they would decrease the price of the item so that it shows up in searches as cheaper than the competition, and adjust the shipping cost up to account for the difference from lowering the price.

Like every Ebay company ever

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
The Ebay job sounds like it was skeezy, but you still need to focus and pay close attention when someone is teaching you how to do something.

Please, for the love of God, do not try to get a job at a law firm. As another poster said, there's more than just $50 at stake in that kind of office.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Aw, Benny the Snake. I'm sorry,guy. Keep applying, and thinking things through carefully.

Chainsaw McGee
Dec 31, 2011
Could this possibly all be a daydream in the mind of an autistic child slowly being run over by a shopping cart?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

JakeP posted:

What he means is they would decrease the price of the item so that it shows up in searches as cheaper than the competition, and adjust the shipping cost up to account for the difference from lowering the price.

Like every Ebay company ever
No. Say I sold an item for $45. In that price would be the base cost for the item, a 15% listing fee, a markup for profit, and the shipping cost. That's how we eventually structured pricing for the site. My co-worker created a spreadsheet for me the second week I was there so all I had to do was plug in the base price and weight (rounded up to the nearest pound) for the minimum price to post items at. From there, I would add ten bucks, post, and make a note on the account of the minimum price. Everything was included in the posted price and we were passing on the cost of shipping onto the customer and stick it to them by inflating the shipping cost. We could call it "handling" but again, it wasn't honest at all.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 29, 2014

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Man that was Benny bingo. First he explained everything he did wrong, and then blamed it on others, then cast suspicion and anger towards some woman he worked with, then he mentioned yet another random unnamed family member who he is supposedly getting helped by, and ended it off implying he was totally fine and losing his job wasn't his fault or a real loss. The self righteous implication of moral high ground about thinking his own actions were shady is like the cherry on the poo poo sundae. Thanks Benny.

laplace fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 29, 2014

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Classic Benny

Steampunk iPhone
Sep 2, 2009

by XyloJW
this is the best thread on the something awful forums

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
Oh Benny!

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I make no excuse for the mistakes I made. I made several. I bet I made more than what my manager told me. But I never repeated the same mistake twice. I double-checked the SKU, the weight, base price, and stock after I made the Craigslist mistake. In fact, the third mistake with the shipping label wasn't because I didn't double-check, it was because I doubted myself.

The Thursday of my last week, my manger showed me a shipping label for an item I had just sold and had me take down the tracking number. Later on, I sold another item and had to print a label. I had two orders cancelled because they were out of stock. The warehouse would update a spreadsheet daily to indicate the quantities for the items we were selling but for those two items, they turned out to be out of stock despite what the warehouse indicated. So at that point, I was worried about having my items cancelled on me. I had doubts that I saw a label in the first place. I went in a downward spiral and to be safe I printed out another label. I told my manager and he showed me that I had made a double-label. That happens quite a bit for me. I think that I did something wrong, I panic, and I end up making a mistake anyway.

When I'm not careful, I gently caress up. When I am careful, I gently caress up anyway. It's a vicious cycle that I'm trying to break by realizing the difference between being careful and doubting myself.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 29, 2014

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
Well to be fair it sounded like a pretty rubbish job so arsed with that! Any office jobs you can wrangle?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Benny the Snake posted:

I make no excuse for the mistakes I made. I made several. I bet I made more than what my manager told me. But I never repeated the same mistake twice. I double-checked the SKU, the weight, base price, and stock after I made the Craigslist mistake. In fact, the third mistake with the shipping label wasn't because I didn't double-check, it was because I doubted myself.

The Thursday of my last week, my manger showed me a shipping label for an item I had just sold and had me take down the tracking number. Later on, I sold another item and had to print a label. That same day and the day before, I had two orders cancelled because they were out of stock. The warehouse would update a spreadsheet daily to indicate the quantities for the items we were selling but for those two items, they turned out to be out of stock despite what the warehouse indicated in the spreadsheet. So at that point, I was worried about having my items cancelled on me. I had doubts that I saw a label in the first place. I went in a downward spiral and to be safe I printed out another label. I told my manager and he showed me that I had made a double-label. That happens quite a bit for me. I think that I did something wrong, I panic, and I end up making a mistake anyway.

When I'm not careful, I gently caress up. When I am careful, I gently caress up anyway. It's a vicious cycle that I'm trying to break by realizing the difference between being careful and doubting myself.

I don't think printing out a second label because you think maybe you didn't print it already is not careful, it is lazy. You could have easily confirmed whether or not you had already printed the label.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Figaro posted:

Well to be fair it sounded like a pretty rubbish job so arsed with that! Any office jobs you can wrangle?

I don't think there are office jobs for people with no attention to detail

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Figaro posted:

I tried calling the law firm today, but the general manager who interviewed me is out for the day. Meanwhile, I've applied today for a few other office positions including another online sales position right here in Chino. I will double-check everything I do when I do get another job.

Heh, it'd be fun if when I got a new job, I'd hang a "It's been x days since I've made a mistake" sign above my bed.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 29, 2014

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Benny the Snake posted:

I tried calling the law firm today, but the general manager who interviewed me is out for the day. Meanwhile, I've applied today for a few other office positions including another online sales position right here in Chino. I will double-check everything I do when I do get another job.

I would tell you that you're an idiot and that you should have, oh I dunno, always done that. But I won't. I'm just gonna say that I'm happy that you've at least acknowledged how amazingly stupid you've been and I sincerely hope you start acting like a grown up now.

Good loving luck, dude.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay, someone break this down, what jobs has benny had? Like, specifically where?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am he
Feb 4, 2014

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

Okay, someone break this down, what jobs has benny had? Like, specifically where?

He worked at an ethnic restaurant where he refused to cook vegetables like they told him to and he hit the owners wife in the head with a tray. He worked at target where he got fired for lying. And then this ebay job. I think that's it since the thread started?

Before that he also worked at a target-like place where he was infamously bad at pushing carts around a parking lot and volunteered on a political campaign. That's it i think?

edit: oh lol he also worked at a warehouse for a day but couldn't put things in boxes fast enough

• Locked thread