Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

The Wolverine stinger was great. Didn't have to explain that. Thanos was pretty good, although most people didn't know who that was, I'm sure they can easily see this guy was a threat.

Point is, people need to get better with these stingers. Captain America 2's was OK, if only for the fact that they brought up mutants, set up the staff as a new plot point, and introduced new Avengers. Names aren't too important. But there's some actual set up there.

Apocalypse makes a building. Alright? Look, DOFP is a great movie. It having a bad stinger isn't really a criticism on the film itself.

Not really, because if they gave him a name tag that said Peter Parker, or someone yelled "PARKER!" people would be "AH-HA!" So no. It's not the same.

The Wolverine stinger was complete nonsense that made no sense unless you remembered the after credits scene and another short scene from the end of a movie that came out almost 10 years ago.

I had to explain who Thanos was and why they were showing him to almost every person I know. The Thanos scene and this Apocalypse scene are almost exactly the loving same, except at least with Apocalypse we get a display of his power and see that he's being worshiped as a literal god, instead of just smiling a little bit like Thanos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

TheJoker138 posted:

I had to explain who Thanos was and why they were showing him to almost every person I know. The Thanos scene and this Apocalypse scene are almost exactly the loving same, except at least with Apocalypse we get a display of his power and see that he's being worshiped as a literal god, instead of just smiling a little bit like Thanos.

The Pyramid thing was quite cool, but the kid looks stupid, whereas Thanos himself actually looked cool.

I would have liked something more along the lines of this:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

oswald ownenstein posted:

The Pyramid thing was quite cool, but the kid looks stupid, whereas Thanos himself actually looked cool.

He looked like a young Apocalypse. He's not going to look like that in the next movie so I don't see why this is somehow controversial.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TheJoker138 posted:

The Wolverine stinger was complete nonsense that made no sense unless you remembered the after credits scene and another short scene from the end of a movie that came out almost 10 years ago.

How is it nonsense? A person going to see The Wolverine has seen at least ONE of the X-Men movies. They know who Magneto and Professor X is...they show up. Regardless if they know Professor X died or not, it's still pretty straight forward. Magneto. Professor X. "Help us Wolverine."

Cut to the next movie. Simple. Easy. Bam.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

How is it nonsense? A person going to see The Wolverine has seen at least ONE of the X-Men movies. They know who Magneto and Professor X is...they show up. Regardless if they know Professor X died or not, it's still pretty straight forward. Magneto. Professor X. "Help us Wolverine."

Cut to the next movie. Simple. Easy. Bam.

The last movie left Xavier dead and Magneto nearly powerless. And it also doesn't actually lead into DOFP AT ALL.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

The group sitting behind me in the theater were all stoked about Toad in the Vietnam scene, but after the movie had no idea who Apocalypse was. How does that happen?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

oswald ownenstein posted:

We already know what he looks like as a kid

The stringer did as they referenced Trask industries and the last scene of Last Stand shows Magneto getting his powers back. They also say a war is coming and it was.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Tokelau All Star posted:

The group sitting behind me in the theater were all stoked about Toad in the Vietnam scene, but after the movie had no idea who Apocalypse was. How does that happen?

Toad was the most memorable part of the first X-Men movie.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
Yeah, the Thanos/Apoc things were weird. Not many people are going to understand them.

As someone who didn't know a damned thing about Nick Fury or that Thor was a Marvel character, the stingers on Iron Man 1/2 worked just fine for me. They were simple and straightforward and made their points effectively.
The Wolverine had a simple and straightforward one too. Resurrecting Xavier didn't need to be explained then, but it did need to be explained in the film itself. And it wasn't :v:

Tokelau All Star posted:

Toad was already in a film? (But he was so different that I barely recognised him)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TheJoker138 posted:

The last movie left Xavier dead and Magneto nearly powerless. And it also doesn't actually lead into DOFP AT ALL.

Are you just being argumentative or what? They literally show the Sentinals being made on a TV screen that says "TRASK INDUSTRIES" and Magneto says "There are forces that will destroy all of us." Maybe you should re-watch it.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

TheJoker138 posted:

Welcome to being a comic fan who is aware of who each character is and have to listen to people strictly watching the movies and nothing else.

Not a hipster when I say that, I'm more than willing to educate newbies if they honestly don't know who someone is, I'm not Comic Book Guy either. Most people that I've explained Apocalypse to are honestly very intrigued now when I explain what a big loving deal he is in the X-Books.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Are you just being argumentative or what? They literally show the Sentinals being made on a TV screen that says "TRASK INDUSTRIES" and Magneto says "There are forces that will destroy all of us." Maybe you should re-watch it.

And then instead of the next movie picking up there it picks up 20 years later. It was very, very far from a direct tie in, and seemed like an after thought. I can't believe anyone thought it was even passable as an after credits scene, let alone a stand out example of how to "do it right."

The Apocalypse one at least gives us a glimpse of the villain we're going to see, shows us how powerful he is (instead of another character saying it). The general audience isn't going to know who most of these characters are anyway. I had to explain Nick Fury to people. I had to explain Thor's hammer to people. I had to explain Thanos to people. And yes, I had to explain Apocalypse to people. But all of these scenes did their jobs because people were interested in who the characters/objects were in each and every one of them, and were talking about them.

Justin Godscock posted:

Welcome to being a comic fan who is aware of who each character is and have to listen to people strictly watching the movies and nothing else.

Not a hipster when I say that, I'm more than willing to educate newbies if they honestly don't know who someone is, I'm not Comic Book Guy either. Most people that I've explained Apocalypse to are honestly very intrigued now when I explain what a big loving deal he is in the X-Books.

This. I don't mind doing it at all. It's just going "no one knows who this kid is!" is a dumb complaint because no one knows who the gently caress any of these people in the stingers are except for comic fans. Because they haven't been in movies before right now, and a 10 second scene isn't really going to flesh out who any of them are.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You seem to be the only one who has an actual problem with Wolverine's credit scene. But hey, to each their own.

Also, most people stay during the credits for superhero films. Most people. Not just comic book fans. I know, because I stay there too, and I don't read them comic books. :D

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

I think you're just being argumentative. You seem to be the only one who has an actual problem with Wolverine's credit scene. But hey, to each their own.

By your logic of not liking the Apocalypse scene, you shouldn't like The Wolverine's either because it doesn't explain what a sentinel is, who Trask is, etc. and it's not done exactly like in a TV show from 20 years ago.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

TheJoker138 posted:

And then instead of the next movie picking up there it picks up 20 years later. It was very, very far from a direct tie in, and seemed like an after thought. I can't believe anyone thought it was even passable as an after credits scene, let alone a stand out example of how to "do it right."

The Apocalypse one at least gives us a glimpse of the villain we're going to see, shows us how powerful he is (instead of another character saying it). The general audience isn't going to know who most of these characters are anyway. I had to explain Nick Fury to people. I had to explain Thor's hammer to people. I had to explain Thanos to people. And yes, I had to explain Apocalypse to people. But all of these scenes did their jobs because people were interested in who the characters/objects were in each and every one of them, and were talking about them.

Let's assume that The Wolverine takes place in 2013 and we all know the future events of DOFP take place in 2023 (as per "I went back 50 years to 1973" which is very concrete). Xavier and Magneto show up at the airport to talk to Wolverine because Trask Industries is about to launch the Sentinels built with Mystique's mutant power in mind. It's known that mutants and these Sentinels fought and the mutants are on the verge of extinction which would have to take place over time and 10 years is enough to be plausible.

DOFP would make LESS sense if it took place immediately after The Wolverine because there isn't enough time for the world to end, Central Park turned into a concentration camp and Xavier and what's left of his students to mount a last-ditch resistance. It's a tie-in, it just leaves a lot of ambiguity as to what happened between The Wolverine and DOFP for the audience to think about.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I don't think you even need to know who Apocalypse is particularly, without that you're still seeing a teenage kid creating the Pyramids with his mind while surrounded by thousands of chanting cultists. On its own, that's a drat sight more impressive than what Thanos was doing (nothing).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It doesn't have too. It's a set up. It's setting up "THE PLOT WILL INVOLVE ROBOTS, WHICH BY WHAT MAGNETO SAID WILL POSSIBLY DESTROY ALL OF THE MUTANTS, AND LOOK, PROFESSOR X IS BACK."

Just like Winter Solider sets up "STAFF OF LOKI IS GOING TO COME INTO PLAY, THERE ARE MUTANTS WHICH MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE BEEN INFLUENCED BY THE STAFF, AND ARE TWO NEW CHARACTERS WITH POWERS THAT WILL EVENTUALLY COME INTO PLAY IN THE AVENGERS 2". These are very simple story set ups. We can go all day long trying to argue this, but if you enjoyed the Apocalypse stinger, then that's fine. Some didn't. And that's fine too.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

It doesn't have too. It's a set up. It's setting up "THE PLOT WILL INVOLVE ROBOTS, WHICH BY WHAT MAGNETO SAID WILL POSSIBLY DESTROY ALL OF THE MUTANTS, AND LOOK, PROFESSOR X IS BACK."

Just like Winter Solider sets up "STAFF OF LOKI IS GOING TO COME INTO PLAY, THERE ARE MUTANTS WHICH MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE BEEN INFLUENCED BY THE STAFF, AND ARE TWO NEW CHARACTERS WITH POWERS THAT WILL EVENTUALLY COME INTO PLAY IN THE AVENGERS 2". These are very simple story set ups. We can go all day long trying to argue this, but if you enjoyed the Apocalypse stinger, then that's fine. Some didn't. And that's fine too.

And by the same virtue the Apocalypse one is "Super powerful teenager who is building the pyramids, being worshiped as a god, and will eventually come into play in the next X-Men movie." Like DeathChicken said, even if you don't know EXACTLY who he is without having to ask, do a quick google search, it's still a very evocative scene that shows some cool poo poo for the next movie.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

TheJoker138 posted:

And by the same virtue the Apocalypse one is "Super powerful teenager who is building the pyramids, being worshiped as a god, and will eventually come into play in the next X-Men movie." Like DeathChicken said, even if you don't know EXACTLY who he is without having to ask, do a quick google search, it's still a very evocative scene that shows some cool poo poo for the next movie.

Exactly, casual audiences or people that will never pick up a comic book get a direct taste of "oh poo poo, this guy is a powerful badass" while comic fans go "yes, Apoc is being done right!". Each side is happy, the work is done and anticipation builds.

If they didn't show Apoc back in Ancient Egypt, worshipped as a God for his powers then I would think it was a bad stinger.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

People are getting way too entitled with their post-credits scene.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

The Dave posted:

People are getting way too entitled with their post-credits scene.

Hey, I'm having fun analyzing them :)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Justin Godscock posted:

Exactly, casual audiences or people that will never pick up a comic book get a direct taste of "oh poo poo, this guy is a powerful badass" while comic fans go "yes, Apoc is being done right!". Each side is happy, the work is done and anticipation builds.

If they didn't show Apoc back in Ancient Egypt, worshipped as a God for his powers then I would think it was a bad stinger.

Honestly, I just wanted him to look intimating. And no, doing crazy mind poo poo doesn't do anything for me fellas.

I'm very entitled to my post credit scenes. I mean, I'm staying at that theater long than I normally should (And I saw that giant block of random names they threw up there! I see what you're doing FOX!) :smug:

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
Do villains ever fight each other in the comics? Like does some ultra mega villain look at someone like Thanos or Apocalypse and go, "I don't like you" and outright destroy them?

Only thing I know of Apocalypse is from the 90s cartoons and he just changed shapes a lot.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hand of the King posted:

Do villains ever fight each other in the comics? Like does some ultra mega villain look at someone like Thanos or Apocalypse and go, "I don't like you" and outright destroy them?

Only thing I know of Apocalypse is from the 90s cartoons and he just changed shapes a lot.

Magneto and Red Skull had some issues. Three guesses as to why.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I think a big difference between the Avengers/DOFP stingers is context. Avengers already had a scene where a guy in a cloak gives Loki orders, and later on we see the same guy in a cloak talking to some big imposing dude. You just watched a movie where the good guys barely defeated Loki, and now you find out that there's a different villain further up the chain. It sets up a sequel without having to necessarily know who Thanos is or what he can do (but if you do know, it still hypes you up for it).

The DOFP stinger places you in an unspecified place at an unspecified time, and shows someone using powers. It doesn't really tell you if he's friend or foe, a mutant or something else, or what. You pretty much need to look it up on Wikipedia or have your comic-reading friend explain it to you.

That was my experience anyway, as a non-reader. The Marvel ones are getting more and more obscure, too.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Hobo Clown posted:

I think a big difference between the Avengers/DOFP stingers is context. Avengers already had a scene where a guy in a cloak gives Loki orders, and later on we see the same guy in a cloak talking to some big imposing dude. You just watched a movie where the good guys barely defeated Loki, and now you find out that there's a different villain further up the chain. It sets up a sequel without having to necessarily know who Thanos is or what he can do (but if you do know, it still hypes you up for it).

The DOFP stinger places you in an unspecified place at an unspecified time, and shows someone using powers. It doesn't really tell you if he's friend or foe, a mutant or something else, or what. You pretty much need to look it up on Wikipedia or have your comic-reading friend explain it to you.

That was my experience anyway, as a non-reader. The Marvel ones are getting more and more obscure, too.

I don't really agree with that idea. Both stingers barely tell you anything about the villain, the only difference is that the DOFP at least shows you why you should be intimidated instead of just going "he's really evil and powerful, just take our word for it!".

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Unspecified place at an unspecified time? You see loving pyramids being built in a desert and that doesn't specify a time or place for you?

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

PeterWeller posted:

Unspecified place at an unspecified time? You see loving pyramids being built in a desert and that doesn't specify a time or place for you?

I'm drawing a blank here.

Also young apoc's mouth (the one in the drawing) is weird. I wish stinger apoc also had robo mouth though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Slim Killington posted:

Imagine that an upcoming Marvel Avengers movie had a stinger at the end that introduced Peter Parker into the franchise (because that's a thing that can happen now and probably will), and someone got mad because it shows him before he was bitten and he wasn't in the Spider-Man costume. It's a stupid complaint.

Where the gently caress did you read this?

TheJoker138 posted:

AT the end of X3 Magneto moves a metal chess piece and you hear Stewart say "Hello Moira."

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I wish the stinger had just said "surprise!" and aired a whole additional 2 hours of footage that actually was the entirety of X-Men Apocalypse, and the stinger of THAT teased a new new movie.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

HorseRenoir posted:

I don't really agree with that idea. Both stingers barely tell you anything about the villain, the only difference is that the DOFP at least shows you why you should be intimidated instead of just going "he's really evil and powerful, just take our word for it!".

It shows that he's powerful, but not who he is or what he might want. He could even be nice. If you're completely ignorant to who Apocalypse the character is, you have very little to go on other than he seems to move stone around the same way Magneto moves metal. With Avengers it was at least "Hey remember Loki? This guy's his boss."

PeterWeller posted:

I guess. To me at first it looked like he was taking them apart, so I didn't realize it was supposed to be in the past until I went online and read about it. It was still completely out of context to anything seen earlier in the movie.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Hobo Clown posted:

It shows that he's powerful, but not who he is or what he might want. He could even be nice. If you're completely ignorant to who Apocalypse the character is, you have very little to go on other than he seems to move stone around the same way Magneto moves metal. With Avengers it was at least "Hey remember Loki? This guy's his boss."

I guess. To me at first it looked like he was taking them apart, so I didn't realize it was supposed to be in the past until I went online and read about it. It was still completely out of context to anything seen earlier in the movie.

I felt that the DOFP teaser was presented in an ominous enough way to imply that Apocalypse was a villain or would eventually become one.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Hobo Clown posted:

That's called ambiguity and is huge in film because it leaves something to the audience's imagination and engages them. We know the mutant in the stinger is powerful, the audience is left to question what he may want. Not everything has to be laid out in concrete terms and it's really goony to think otherwise.

Also, how did you not understand it was Ancient Egypt? I mean, the pyramids are iconic in world history and when people see them they think Ancient Egypt. Everyone is also dressed-up in clothes from that period and worshipping Apoc like he's a literal God. It's not hard to think this might be long ago.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The four horsemen were a nice touch.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I thought the stinger was pretty cool but that's because I'm a full-on nerd for Apocalypse. It's worth bearing in mind though that stingers like this are always awful.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
As long as we're pointlessly bitching about that scene I wish they had showed the pyramids as they actually looked, with the smooth exterior instead of raw bricks. Throw a coat of shellac on there you lazy blue bastard.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

The four horsemen were a nice touch.

Should've been four camelmen.

Immersion ruined.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Marvel stinger is now a rite of passage for a Marvel movie and has become a minor reason people go to see them in theaters. It's no more important than "JAMES BOND WILL RETURN IN..."

I for one am just glad that the movies build toward each other, with the only un-achieved holy grail being that the rights for different IPs have been balkanized.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Justin Godscock posted:

That's called ambiguity and is huge in film because it leaves something to the audience's imagination and engages them. We know the mutant in the stinger is powerful, the audience is left to question what he may want. Not everything has to be laid out in concrete terms and it's really goony to think otherwise.

I didn't mean it needed more concrete explanation, I'm just saying it was out of context to DOFP. Most of the other stingers from other films at least included a character or plot point from the movie everyone just watched to tease that this is somehow related. If you don't know who Apocalypse is then this scene had as much to do with X-Men as the X-Men stinger had to do with Spider-Man.

Anyway, people were talking about non-comic readers reactions to movie stingers so figured I'd post my feelings about it. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Why cookie Rocket posted:

As long as we're pointlessly bitching about that scene I wish they had showed the pyramids as they actually looked, with the smooth exterior instead of raw bricks. Throw a coat of shellac on there you lazy blue bastard.

Yeah, but showing shiny reflective pyramids probably would have been unrecognizable to most people. Has any movie or TV show set in ancient Greece or Rome ever shown statues painted as they used to be?

• Locked thread