Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

syscall girl posted:

http://vimeo.com/6275512

life was simpler then, maybe better. or was it? :techno:

this is the best shiiiiiiiit, thanks

gently caress growing up with this owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

over $900,000 already for reading rainbow

this coffee mug is gonna own so hard

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
so this will most likely be the fourth fastest kickstarter to a million dollars

right behind the ouya

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Already over a million now. :v:

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

i don't think i've ever seen someone gently caress up the eyepop smiley before, nice work

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Vintersorg posted:

the greens, they live (this kickstarter is working)

it's pretty amazing how seeds in soil will grow no matter how much plastic poo poo you surround them with

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Vicas posted:

so this will most likely be the fourth fastest kickstarter to a million dollars

right behind the ouya

About 12 hours. Not bad at all.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

anthonypants posted:

watch the video to the end

hahahaha yesss

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
so the consensus on this is legit and good?

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

hubris.height posted:

so the consensus on this is legit and good?

there are those who would say no but tbh i don't think reading rainbow would be the worst thing from the 80s/90s/00s to bring back

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Vicas posted:

there are those who would say no but tbh i don't think reading rainbow would be the worst thing from the 80s/90s/00s to bring back

oh gently caress that article, they didn't even have any points except "you already have to know how to read" (which is their target audience so ok?) and "it's a for-profit company so don't trust them" (true but seeing as how he's been doing this on tablet for years i think he's got a track record)

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

like, reading rainbow isn't the end-all and be-all of educational programs, but it's certainly not a bad thing, and in conjunction with other literacy programs, it's definitively a good thing

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

one of the comments makes the good point that reading rainbow, while helping teaching kids to read, is more about teaching kids why they should read

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
yeah, it was kind of all over the place. tbh given how fast this thing racked up a million i can't imagine setting the goal lower would have seriously affected how much money came in. especially when the ks itself said tv was outmoded but the article was like "but a million is way more than it would cost to renew its pbs rights!"

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

one of the comments makes the good point that reading rainbow, while helping teaching kids to read, is more about teaching kids why they should read

i totally agree with this, but imo i've always thought of reading rainbow as a show for kids to watch AFTER they know how to read. there are other ways to teach a kid basic literacy skills

e: almost everyone knows, in a technical sense, how to read. but how many read for fun? not many. that's the hole that rr fills imo

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

i think the internet in general is the best motivator to teach kids how to read, even if its popular debut introduced a sort of sanskrit-like txt speak, since then we've progressed beyond T9 and i think it will get better

i mean in the "functionally illiterate" category, even the majority of kids on facebook by the nature of being on facebook are literate enough to read a newspaper, if not better

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIOXP9by1dM

uhhhhh this guy needs to be reported to cps

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
holy poo poo reading rainbow is up to $1.6 mil

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

she says that right in the goddamn article, but with the insinuation that this is somehow a bad thing :psyduck:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

anyway watch the update vid it's :unsmith: as gently caress

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Werthog 95 posted:

she says that right in the goddamn article, but with the insinuation that this is somehow a bad thing :psyduck:

why would you read for pleasure when you could be learning how to do differential equations in fifth grade to become a god-king programmer

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Werthog 95 posted:

anyway watch the update vid it's :unsmith: as gently caress

yah, that owned

:)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Miley Virus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIOXP9by1dM

uhhhhh this guy needs to be reported to cps

wtf

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
I ain't gonna lie, I slung some large bucks at reading rainbow.

It helps get the poo poo out to more kids to get them to actually want to read a book, and I got a buddy who just had his first born, and he's a star trek nerd, so having a signed childrens book by levar for his youngins first birthday will make him happy.

It's a win win all around.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
istr the original reading rainbow was a desperate attempt to show tv doesn't rot kids' brains. the owners wanted to sell episodes to regular network stations as much as pbs. (back when the fcc required a non-zero amount of "educational" content)

while i have fond memories of it i don't honestly think watching tv ever helped anyone to read poo poo. this is just another cheap, grasping nostalgia play

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 29, 2014

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

uncurable mlady posted:

why would you read for pleasure when you could be learning how to do differential equations in fifth grade to become a god-king programmer

username post combo

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

istr the original reading rainbow was a desperate attempt to show tv doesn't rot kids' brains. the owners wanted to sell episodes to regular network stations as much as pbs. (back when the fcc required a non-zero amount of "educational" content)

while i have fond memories of it i don't honestly think watching tv ever helped anyone to read poo poo. this is just another cheap, grasping nostalgia play

lol @ everything you post

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol i know yospos is cynical but calm down beavis you're overdoing it

Dec 26, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Proteus4994 posted:

lol i know yospos is cynical but calm down beavis you're overdoing it

srsly

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
reading rainbow about to hit 2 million

also that thank you video touched even my fat heart of stone

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
so when goony pokemon poo poo or 1990s videogames get doomed kickstarter campaigns, it's funny... but when a for-profit company picks up a cherished children's brand for pennies on the dollar, and begs for money on kickstarter, THEN it's off limits

levar burton begs for millions of dollars to make a tv show to shill for his mobile app, yospos approves

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

quote:

In 2011, Burton acquired the Rainbow license in conjunction with his business partner Mark Wolfe and CEO Asra Rasheed. In June 2012, the Reading Rainbow was fully re-imagined as an iPad App bringing the beloved brand to children of the digital age.

[...]

The first product for RRKidz is the Reading Rainbow App, a reading adventure app now available on the iTunes store. RRKidz also holds rights from several other quality children’s brands and will be releasing several new projects throughout 2012 and beyond.

quote:

The Reading Rainbow app will be available for free, which gets kids access to one book plus one video per island. After that, they pay a subscription fee of $9.99 per month for unlimited access — as Wolfe noted, a subscription model makes more sense than charging for each title, because you don’t want to put parents in a position of saying no to buying more books.

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 29, 2014

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
well none of us paid for Michael Dorn's documentary thing that was literally "i'm not just worf, god, please understand that i've done more things than just being worf"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
if you can't get cynical about hollywood business execs buying widely-loved ex-PBS IP for use by their startup in a subscription-based iPad app that preys on parents fears what the gently caress is cynicism good for, gently caress

using kickstarter to advertise / beg for money is just the cherry on top of this one. the whole story is terrible

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i know you guys like thing, but guess what? thing is actually bad.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Werthog 95 posted:

i know you guys like thing, but guess what? thing is actually bad.

:monocle:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
holy poo poo, a bad thing on kickstarter

this will up-end the whole business

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

power botton posted:

lol @ everything you post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU