Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
Can someone explain victory by "points"? What constitutes a point?

EDIT: Made games with victory points, looks like it periodically gives you side quests that let you earn points, with random objectives. Seems like the best victory condition for aimless play. vvv seems like it'd be better for multiplayer though, due to those "first of" objectives.

Arsonide fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkanterian
Oct 1, 2013

Arsonide posted:

Can someone explain victory by "points"? What constitutes a point?

You get points for completing objectives that appear during the game. First to build a Library, or first to export x Bananas for example.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I've run into a weird bug about halfway through the campaign: whenever I try to load Isla Rojo on the Through the Looking Glass mission, I just get stuck at the loading screen forever and it cycles through the same three or four dictator factoids. I've waited for it about ten minutes in my longest attempt, but the rest of the game has been loading in a matter of seconds for me.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

SubNat posted:

Taking another round through, I'm pretty sure all the DLC buildings are in the files somewhere, although most of them don't have anything more than a placeholder.

Future buildings to look forwards to.

Unsure which DLC they're related to:
Police Blimp
Ranger Corps
Asylum
Bathysphere
Security Checkpoint
Spy Academy
Supermax Prison
Smugglers Dock
Dungeons
Drone Control
Fast Food Joint
Fishing Trawler.
Giant Laser
Glass Bottom Restaurant
Inquisition
Mechanized Garrison
Nuclear Submarine
Offshore Office
Oil Platform
Oyster Farm

Creamery (dlc2, Cheese making plant, it seems? )

Dolphinarium (dlc6, )

DefenceHQ ( The Hexagon :allears: ) ( dlc 7)

Gone Green DLC?
Tidal Power Plant
Wind Farm
Recycling Plant

It honestly looks like the DLCs contain multiple buildings each, for different eras.
Atleast, it seems far more promising than just 1 building + something else.

e: Still. DUNGEON. Hopefully it's as good as it sounds.
e2: + the Supercomputer, of course.

With the oyster farm i assume it is more productive if the ocean is polluted. After all the taste is with the chemicals.

Creamery seems to be a t2 or t3 milk related structure.

Ranger corps maybe be a military structure with faster troopers.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
Is there any way to change the multiplayer game speed? Just want to have a relaxing Tropico game with people without being stuck in :supaburn: mode.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Is anyone who doesn't have the game already interested in going in on a 4-pack next week with a friend and I? Would save everyone $10 off the purchase.

Mr. Giggles
Nov 4, 2009

Catts posted:

Is there any way to change the multiplayer game speed? Just want to have a relaxing Tropico game with people without being stuck in :supaburn: mode.

yeah, jesus. I'd at least like a pause button. it's most noticeable in the colonial era where your deadline ticks down

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Is it just me, or has the Intellectuals faction ceased to exist? It's kind of weird because there's a place in the ideological system they would fit perfectly - namely, diametrically opposed to the Religious faction, like they were in previous games - but the Militarists are slotted in there instead.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 29, 2014

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.
Aircraft carriers: Useless $25k coastline ornaments during a running battle. However stack an invading force up against a wall of guard towers so they'll sit still? Absolute rapewagons. I'm stuck on the 'we'll invade the poo poo out of you till you impress the superpowers 5 times' mission and drat if my guard tower/carrier killing field isn't letting Tropico's military punch way above it's weight.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So, has anyone figured out if there's a way to upgrade the stats of general managers? It's just really kinda frustrating to see only your dynasty members with more than one star.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

Is it just me, or has the Intellectuals faction ceased to exist? It's kind of weird because there's a place in the ideological system they would fit perfectly - namely, diametrically opposed to the Religious faction, like they were in previous games - but the Militarists are slotted in there instead.

They have gone to the Globalists faction. World peace and understanding

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Alkydere posted:

So, has anyone figured out if there's a way to upgrade the stats of general managers? It's just really kinda frustrating to see only your dynasty members with more than one star.

I saw a generic manager with two stars once. I have no idea how they got that way.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I've seen some 3-star generic managers too but I've no idea what got them to that point.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

John Charity Spring posted:

I've seen some 3-star generic managers too but I've no idea what got them to that point.

Out of curiosity, did you run a census?

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Dirk the Average posted:

I've ran a census a few times in my current sandbox and I'm still only hiring level 1 managers.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Jintor posted:

I saw a generic manager with two stars once. I have no idea how they got that way.

When you fire a manager from building and hire him again elsewhere he gets second star. Maybe you can keep it up until he's 5-star. Or maybe he heeds to work for sometime in the building to get second star when he's fired.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Dirk the Average posted:

I did not. Didn't have any missions that mentioned managers as rewards either.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

John Charity Spring posted:

I get the feeling that if a manager works for you for a duration of a mission, he gets a star in the next one.

I might be full of poo poo.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

The White Dragon posted:

I've run into a weird bug about halfway through the campaign: whenever I try to load Isla Rojo on the Through the Looking Glass mission, I just get stuck at the loading screen forever and it cycles through the same three or four dictator factoids. I've waited for it about ten minutes in my longest attempt, but the rest of the game has been loading in a matter of seconds for me.

Calypso posted a hotfix for this until they fix it in a patch. Load up a sandbox game using the island giving you problems and then return to the main menu, THEN load the mission. Should work then.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

gyrobot posted:

With the oyster farm i assume it is more productive if the ocean is polluted.
This is the exact opposite of true, oysters are actually extremely sensitive to pollution of various kinds, and commercial shellfish farming has suffered a lot in the last few decades because of poor environmental management :eng101:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

jBrereton posted:

This is the exact opposite of true, oysters are actually extremely sensitive to pollution of various kinds, and commercial shellfish farming has suffered a lot in the last few decades because of poor environmental management :eng101:

:thejoke:

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
I find it really annoying how there's no jail or imprisonment system in this iteration.

edit: also, does anyone know what buildings count as "colonial?"

Also they could have done way more with military forts. Letting them be museums or dungeons or actual bases in the later eras seems like a natural move considering the last games.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Perhaps we can interest you in this fine DLC?

Alya posted:

Interesting hint in lua files.
DLC 1 Inquisition
DLC 2 The Big Cheese
DLC 3 T-Day
DLC 4 Madness
DLC 5 The Supercomputer
DLC 6 Surfs Up!
DLC 7 Generalissimo
DLC 8 Gone Green
DLC 9 McTropico
DLC 10 Supervillain

:shepspends:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Calypso posted a hotfix for this until they fix it in a patch. Load up a sandbox game using the island giving you problems and then return to the main menu, THEN load the mission. Should work then.

Got it, I'll try that next time I run into the problem (well, hopefully I won't). Yesterday, I tried saving at the mission select screen and loading said save, which also fixed it.

Barracuda Bang! posted:

edit: also, does anyone know what buildings count as "colonial?"

Old school Plantations, Catholic Missions, maybe anything in the Lumber tree, and mmmmaaaaaaybe Military Forts? Not a whole lot.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 30, 2014

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Yeah, those DLC plans are rather heinous. Particularly if they turn out to be 1 buildings/1 outfit/1 skill, like the DLC for the last game in the series.

On an unrelated topic, is there any index anywhere of the faction opinions of the various constitution choices? I halfway tried to take an accounting of it from the game itself, but there were too many factors to keep track of, particularly with the fact that changing the constitution gives bonuses/maluses based on the policies that were deactivated.

It doesn't look like the deactivation opinions ever go away, either.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I wish the DLC was more like "hugely expand the Colonial stage, which is kind of the best bit of the game in terms of cash balance, aesthetics, and overall challenge" than "you can buy a really good computer to do your research if you feel like that's a really pressing thing ever, which it isn't".

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

jBrereton posted:

I wish the DLC was more like "hugely expand the Colonial stage, which is kind of the best bit of the game in terms of cash balance, aesthetics, and overall challenge" than "you can buy a really good computer to do your research if you feel like that's a really pressing thing ever, which it isn't".

I wish I could stay in the colonial era forever, it's really fun but the mandate mechanic is terrible.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

On an unrelated topic, is there any index anywhere of the faction opinions of the various constitution choices? I halfway tried to take an accounting of it from the game itself, but there were too many factors to keep track of, particularly with the fact that changing the constitution gives bonuses/maluses based on the policies that were deactivated.

It doesn't look like the deactivation opinions ever go away, either.

I'd love to know this too. Last game I managed to absolutely outrage the communists and the environmentalists, leading to constant rebellions even though average happiness was in the high seventies.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
How do you use the aircraft carrier? I get "Fire at will", but is there a way to tell them to bomb these guys or those guys?

Just had a pretty bad uprising because... I banished too many criminals I guess?

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
I think with aircraft carriers, it's all automatic.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Tehan posted:

I'd love to know this too. Last game I managed to absolutely outrage the communists and the environmentalists, leading to constant rebellions even though average happiness was in the high seventies.
From what I could see, it looked like most policies angered more people than they pleased, which is an...interesting choice. Like, for example, one would think communists would like state atheism, be content with secularism, and dislike theocracy. In fact, they also dislike secularism. And the military dislikes having a professional army. :geno:

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Professional Military, does anyone know how much more effective it is than either option with uneducated soldiers? It's always a big drain on my industry, using up so many high school educated workers, but I can't shake my older Tropico habit of needed educated soldiers.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
I want to say 50->60? So, 20% more effective?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Khisanth Magus posted:

Is anyone who doesn't have the game already interested in going in on a 4-pack next week with a friend and I? Would save everyone $10 off the purchase.

Hey I'm interested!

I skipped over 4 but loved 3 (and 1!) so I'm down for some Tropico lovin.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Speaking of Professional Military, does anyone know how much more effective it is than either option with uneducated soldiers? It's always a big drain on my industry, using up so many high school educated workers, but I can't shake my older Tropico habit of needed educated soldiers.

Professional army is not even remotely worth it. Even if you absolutely need every bit of military power, you're still better off with conscription/militia because the greater industrial capacity will allow you to build more bases.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Ehh, you can repel pretty much anything anyway. The only time I had trouble was with the pirates attacking before you are even able to build a proper army. I've noticed that enemy armies are just as dumb about pathing as yours are, so you can really stomp 'em once you realize you can encourage your entire army to descend upon a priority defense point.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Plus once you hit modern times you just need some sort of uneducated workforce employment program.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
We really need a compulsory education edict.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FrozenVent posted:

Plus once you hit modern times you just need some sort of uneducated workforce employment program.

This. Entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

FrozenVent posted:

Completely true. In my latest game, I've taken to flinging down 6-8 ranches whenever I start running out of uneducated jobs. Lots of llamas to feed wool into the cloth/clothing production chain, some pigs/goats/cattle for food variety. Keeps the dummies busy, and doesn't require corn as an input like factory farms do. That and dropping down blocks of new tourist development from time to time.

I think I've probably got 10? high schools, all packed, have the Visa immigration option picked, and I still end up blowing stacks of cash to import more high school educated citizens to fill those jobs anyway.

I think I'm up to 2700 or so population on that game using the population uncap mod, no issues so far. I did cap it at 5000, since I believe I read it really does start getting unstable above 6000 or so regardless of hardware.

• Locked thread