Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Cyberventurer posted:

Isn't there a rare spawn enemy in Belfry Sol that only shows up if you're part of the bell keeper covenant? He can drop a weapon.

Yeah, the skeleton Predator. Is he an anime reference or something?

scamtank fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flytrap posted:

Angry dragon is a sex thing.

Yeah, but it's not like some of the other blatantly obvious stuff. Also, it's not censored if you just put a space, making it doubly hilarious.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

powerful weedlock posted:

Why is there even a censor?

it's a common thing in online games from Asian countries, for some reason, but usually in free-to-play games/MMOs. I don't really know why they did it for this one, the game is rated T but that's what the "online interactions not rated by the ESRB" disclaimer is for.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

scamtank posted:

Yeah, the skeleton Predator. Is he an anime reference or something?Yeah, the skeleton Predator. Is he an anime reference or something?

How'd this happen?

The mad warrior or whatever he's called is red though.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Maybe an abyss phantom got lost on his way to work, or maybe somebody figured out how to show up as one outside of the abyss using CE or whatever, that's about the only thing that shows up as almost jet black. You should have taken a screenshot.

e: as an after thought that would have been a really cool perk from staying in the pilgrims, esp since abyss phantoms have the properties of being able to attack and get attacked by enemies, could have opened up some cool happenings elsewhere.

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 29, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

scamtank posted:

Yeah, the skeleton Predator. Is he an anime reference or something?

Berserk

Manatee Cannon posted:

How'd this happen?

The mad warrior or whatever he's called is red though.

Nah, black phantoms are black with red highlights. Which is why they're called black phantoms, not red phantoms.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

AndroidHub posted:

Maybe an abyss phantom got lost on his way to work, or maybe somebody figured out how to show up as one outside of the abyss using CE or whatever, that's about the only thing that shows up as almost jet black. You should have taken a screenshot.

Those same phantoms still show up in both Belfries, I would hope he wouldn't mistake one of those for an invader.

Genocyber posted:

Nah, black phantoms are black with red highlights. Which is why they're called black phantoms, not red phantoms.

He said it was entirely black. Thus the distinction I made.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 29, 2014

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
People are going to start reporting 1/10000000 chance "Black Phantom" invasions now. Yet no one will believe them.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

He said it was entirely black. Thus the distinction I made.

Sounds like he confused one of the gray phantom NPCs for an invade then (i.e. the witch, the two not-Havels, or dual Avelyn guy).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

Sounds like he confused one of the gray phantom NPCs for an invade then (i.e. the witch, the two not-Havels, or dual Avelyn guy).

None of those, must have been a shade that really, really, really was short on time. Like enough to get one hit in and only was still there because of me leaving the session.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Berserk is like the only anime Dark Souls references. Which is good, since unlike most animes the character designs aren't all completely terrible.

The dumbest word I saw censored was Hand. I wanted to make a character called Handsome Tom but it showed up as ****some Tom, because apparently hands are inherently offensive?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

To make up for the confusion about that phantom, here's a fun little tip: When using chameleon, not only can you not be targeted directly by players, while it's active soulmass and affinity are unable to fire at you as well.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Is the Smelter Demon vulnerable to anything but lightning? My strike damage playthrough was an absolute breeze until I got to him, he's a freaking brick wall of HP. Most summons aren't even helpful, they just use ineffective slash damage weapons and buff his HP/Poise.

Alternatively, I know he's technically an optional boss - are there any other bonfires in Iron Keep besides the entry one and the one he guards?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Red Crown posted:

Is the Smelter Demon vulnerable to anything but lightning? My strike damage playthrough was an absolute breeze until I got to him, he's a freaking brick wall of HP. Most summons aren't even helpful, they just use ineffective slash damage weapons and buff his HP/Poise.

Poison and strike, I think.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The rule of thumb is that if it doesn't bleed, it dents.

He also gains straight damage resistance when he's doing his dramatic huff-puffing and self-impaling routines. Don't waste your magic when that happens, no matter how open he is.

There's also one last (non-belfry) bonfire, uh, 6 rooms forward from the Smelter Demon's archery funhouse.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 29, 2014

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Even my upgraded Club just barely chips away at him. Am I right in thinking he has tremendously more health than other "contemporary" bosses?

Fake edit: Sort of. He, Old Iron King and The Rotten have about the same health. I really feel like he has much more damage resistance, though.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Red Crown posted:

Even my upgraded Club just barely chips away at him. Am I right in thinking he has tremendously more health than other "contemporary" bosses?

Fake edit: Sort of. He, Old Iron King and The Rotten have about the same health. I really feel like he has much more damage resistance, though.
Are you applying some ooze or resin on the club?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Berserk is like the only anime Dark Souls references

Wrong! "Miyazaki: The design [of the Armor of Thorns] only began to take shape when we started talking about the trial of the 77 rings from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure."

It's okay, JoJo's also good, instead of bad.

edit: Although it really is mostly just Berserk references.

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

OIK is made of paper but Smelter felt much tankier. Part of that is because he takes barely any damage while transitioning between phases.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Ok, after seeing the censored word list, my next character's name is definitely going to be "CorndogHandbag".

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

I'm just going to be rear end Man.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I was going to disable the censor but then I saw a summon sign for a very angry looking man called "**** The Pony" and the mystery of the censor actually made it better.

Seriously though it's loving stupid that it doesn't even tell you that your name will be censored before arbitrarily removing the hos or whatever the hell from your name. I got rat team invaded by a Captain Hook who had the whole gimmick down (lucatiel's hat, pirate-looking clothes, rapier and work hook) but of course it was Captain **ok.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TGLT posted:

Wrong! "Miyazaki: The design [of the Armor of Thorns] only began to take shape when we started talking about the trial of the 77 rings from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure."

It's okay, JoJo's also good, instead of bad.

edit: Although it really is mostly just Berserk references.

Huh, based on other parts of that interview Priscilla was at one point the heroine. That's interesting. Also FROM has a pretty funny way of coming up with ideas for things.

e: The Duke's Archives are Harry Potter. :v:

haha

quote:

Miyazaki: There's something unnatural about Smough's armour, it doesn't look like something that would have been created by a normal, sane human, I think that's what I like about it. There was a rumour that we were hunting players who bought the game early. I wasn't us, but whoever was, was wearing Smough's armour and I remember thinking how fitting that was.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 29, 2014

LunaSky
Sep 10, 2008

Even Diablo has a soft side
I'm dual wielding(Power stance) a Bastard Sword and a Claymore both at +8 and I was thinking I should make one lightning and keep one physical. Any suggestions? I'm sitting at 40 STR 20 DEX rest is carry weight, stamina, life and 15 adaptability. Around SL 90. I was thinking about getting some faith and the lightning miracles to deal with range problems.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

RBA Starblade posted:

Huh, based on other parts of that interview Priscilla was at one point the heroine. That's interesting. Also FROM has a pretty funny way of coming up with ideas for things.

e: The Duke's Archives are Harry Potter. :v:

Miyazaki posted:

Well, the truth is, I just wanted to make a really big woman. I think it was a Fujiko F. Fujio manga, (Yasuragi no Yakata, literally Tranqil Mansion), there was a company president who joins an exclusive club to escape his stressful work life, and there's a giant woman who takes care of the club members, almost like a mother… don't you think that's just a perfect situation? A giant, considerate, caring woman. The kind we all lost when we grew up, that's what I wanted to make. Originally I also wanted to put a mouth in the palm of her hand, and we made all of the animations, but it didn't make it into the final game. Talking of glamour, her breasts are nothing to do with me, they happened without my knowledge. It's all the artist's fault. I think I mentioned it earlier but I always seek a certain refinement in all my designs...But the artist had such a happy look on his face that I didn't have the heart to stop him.
:allears: I love this guy. Also neat that the Ring of Sincere Prayer does the "Praise the Sun" pose in DeS.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
That Miyazaki interview is pretty great throughout, though it gets a little :psyduck: at the end with the Darkmoon stuff.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

neetengie posted:

:allears: I love this guy.

And to think, we all thought they were trying to get across that Gwyndolin had some self-image issues.

So it looks like Dark Souls was based on pro-wrestling, anime, fantasy board games, and super hero tv shows.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

That Miyazaki interview is pretty great throughout, though it gets a little :psyduck: at the end with the Darkmoon stuff.

Gamedev.txt

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Hyped for the next Souls yay.

Murderist
Aug 30, 2013
I have a weird problem: I'm trying to ascetic the first Undead Crypt bonfire from 5 to 6 but it's giving me the "Defeat the boss of this area first" message. But, uh.. That bonfire has no boss? And both bosses for the Crypt are dead, also. I've ascetic'd it before, so I don't know what the hell is up. Quitting/reloading the game has had no effect, and I don't know what to do besides start the next NG+. Am I missing something incredibly obvious?

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Murderist posted:

I have a weird problem: I'm trying to ascetic the first Undead Crypt bonfire from 5 to 6 but it's giving me the "Defeat the boss of this area first" message. But, uh.. That bonfire has no boss? And both bosses for the Crypt are dead, also. I've ascetic'd it before, so I don't know what the hell is up. Quitting/reloading the game has had no effect, and I don't know what to do besides start the next NG+. Am I missing something incredibly obvious?

Other than slaughtering every creature there, I have no idea.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I found this: http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/22zcd1/who_is_the_undead_crypts_entrances_boss/

I'm not sure how the rules for ascetics work (I only ever did one) but it sounds like the game is wonky in that area and you have to respawn Velstadt and Vendrick and beat one or both of them before it'll let you ascetic the other area.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
You would at least think they would add an option to turn off the word filters that isn't messing around with the game files, sure maybe a few people don't want to see slurs or whatever the rest of those filters are, but I'd imagine 99% of people would rather be able to turn it off in the options, which most games that censor in a similar manner allow anyways.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

AndroidHub posted:

You would at least think they would add an option to turn off the word filters that isn't messing around with the game files, sure maybe a few people don't want to see slurs or whatever the rest of those filters are, but I'd imagine 99% of people would rather be able to turn it off in the options, which most games that censor in a similar manner allow anyways.

Most American games.

Japanese games have always been and probably will be for awhile-- very wonky about their censorship.

Murderist
Aug 30, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

I found this: http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/22zcd1/who_is_the_undead_crypts_entrances_boss/

I'm not sure how the rules for ascetics work (I only ever did one) but it sounds like the game is wonky in that area and you have to respawn Velstadt and Vendrick and beat one or both of them before it'll let you ascetic the other area.

Thanks. Slightly annoying as I've already pumped the second bonfire to either 9 or 10 intensity. I'll report back if I try killing the bosses again.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Has the game been out long enough to post a Trip Report first playthrough where I express my surprise at bullshit and dying a lot for the thread's pleasure?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Kaldaris posted:

Japan has always been and probably will be for awhile-- very wonky about their censorship.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Anyone got any videos/tips on how to fight those mace wielding bastards and greatsword guys in dragonshrine with a melee character?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Anyone got any videos/tips on how to fight those mace wielding bastards and greatsword guys in dragonshrine with a melee character?

Poison arrows help a lot, but if you don't want to stoop to picking up a bow then I would recommend summoning a Shade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

TipsyMcStagger posted:

The greatsword guys can be dodged or even just circled around just like the ones in heide's tower.

The mace guys have better tracking, but can still be dodged, or if you have a half decent shield, just straight up blocked. Then just get in a hit or two after blocking.

Hammer knights are the toughest. They can pull out an actual gaurdbreak move similar to yours. I've actually never seen them do the near infinite swinging some people have mentioned, but I also usually don't put my shield up until just before I need to block something so that might be an AI thing if you're holding block.

I mostly just fought them like the mace guys getting in hits after blocking them, but I'd usually take a hit and need to run/heal occasionally.
They don't really chase or close the distance that fast, so temporary retreats are usually pretty easy.