Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I'm guessing the episode that copied last week was a clip show about last year? Glad I didn't bother watching it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Photex posted:

my wife thinks i'm the biggest man child for loving this show so much, but there are very few reality shows that still bring a sense of true reality and danger.

My wife used to do the same thing but she started watching it right around the time Captain Phil died and now she's hooked.

ToastyPotato posted:

I'm guessing the episode that copied last week was a clip show about last year? Glad I didn't bother watching it yet.

Yep it was a recap of last season

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Captain Phil's loss is still felt on this show. If it wasn't for Sig, I would quit.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000

IRQ posted:

At the risk of making you relive something clearly traumatic, what did that shitbird do on the hill?

Nah, I was just poking fun at Deadliest Catch's habit of replaying the hell out of a clip, like when someone falls in the water. Then 5 episodes down the road we "remember when X fell in the water". Anyhow, Keith talked to a panel about the effect of the government shutdown last year on the federally regulated crab fishery. He had a legitimate axe to grind, but I have a really hard time watching that guy do anything.

kefkafloyd posted:

Captain Phil's loss is still felt on this show. If it wasn't for Sig, I would quit.

Absolutely. I'm excited to see Edgar (hopefully) kick some butt, and hopefully this season will feature more people overcoming adversity in tough situations than trying to out-jackass or out-cruel each other. Last season really brought me down because it just seemed super negative and petty all the time.

Barefoot
Dec 22, 2013

kefkafloyd posted:

Crab farts. :3:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Campbell posted:

Absolutely. I'm excited to see Edgar (hopefully) kick some butt, and hopefully this season will feature more people overcoming adversity in tough situations than trying to out-jackass or out-cruel each other. Last season really brought me down because it just seemed super negative and petty all the time.

I am super excited to see how Josh does for Opies.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Photex posted:

my wife thinks i'm the biggest man child for loving this show so much, but there are very few reality shows that still bring a sense of true reality and danger.

"Reality show?" Documentary series.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Barefoot posted:

Crab farts. :3:

I know, right? RIP Phil.

quote:

I am super excited to see how Josh does for Opies.

With a competent crew and his brother out of the picture, Josh would have a much better starting point. I've come around on the Hillstrands, but Junior/Elliott/Bill are wastes of screen time, and the Wizard is a floating OSHA violation run by a bully.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Good god, Eliott is still a captain of something? Who keeps giving him money?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Apparently Bill insists he is getting a really bad edit. I finally got around to watching the Behind the Scenes episode for last season.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

IRQ posted:

Apparently he got some bank to give him a loan to buy his own boat last season. I'm 100% certain his story will end in some kind of insurance fraud.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

IRQ posted:

quote:

Apparently he got some bank to give him a loan to buy his own boat last season. I'm 100% certain his story will end in some kind of insurance fraud.

The Bank of Discovery? Other than that, who would be crazy enough to co-sign a loan with this guy?

quote:

Apparently Bill insists he is getting a really bad edit. I finally got around to watching the Behind the Scenes episode for last season.

I don't think Bill's a bad person, I just find his boat repetitive. I guess he's not a good motivator for his son, but that stuff is always at the whim of editing.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

IRQ posted:

I thought he inherited his boat/position somehow, or knew somebody..

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

No More Heroes posted:

I thought he inherited his boat/position somehow, or knew somebody..

That was Ramblin Rose. His new boat, Saga, was one he purchased himself using a loan.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

kefkafloyd posted:

With a competent crew and his brother out of the picture, Josh would have a much better starting point. I've come around on the Hillstrands, but Junior/Elliott/Bill are wastes of screen time, and the Wizard is a floating OSHA violation run by a bully.

I hope Josh can steal Freddie back from Keith.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

as good as a worker as Freddie is he's kind of a loose cannon.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Dual Survival is back. Had a weird warning message at the beginning about how some poo poo apparently went down as they were filming the season, and these early episodes would show the lead up to it. Looking into it, apparently Cody was fired after they shot four episodes, meaning there's now no original cast members left on the show.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000

Photex posted:

as good as a worker as Freddie is he's kind of a loose cannon.

Freddie also seems to magnify the personality of his captain like 100 fold. Old days Phil, Freddie: seemed like a calm but sarcastic mentor. Keith Freddie: angry bully picking drunken fights. Sure it could all be the edit, but we had a lot of Phil years to see Freddie and he seems totally different now.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Teek posted:

Dual Survival is back. Had a weird warning message at the beginning about how some poo poo apparently went down as they were filming the season, and these early episodes would show the lead up to it. Looking into it, apparently Cody was fired after they shot four episodes, meaning there's now no original cast members left on the show.

Seems like they're going in a more "man vs wild" direction.

quote:

It is true that I was scheduled to shoot all episodes for season four, but as I was fired due to differences over safety and health concerns, I filmed only four shows. The shows I participated in were filmed in Sri Lanka, Oman, and Norway. Matt Graham, one of the people from “Dude, you’re screwed” was hired to replace me. As Discovery moves forward with launching the new season of Dual Survival, I hope the network will choose a different tactic for the presentation and marketing of the show that is not at my expense.

I accidentally saw half an episode of Dude You're Screwed, it easily ranks up there in the complete horseshit this network has been dropping out of its goatse sized rectum in the past few years.

That said, Fast and Loud is a glimmering beacon of greatness. I don't know how it got past the network runners there at Discovery.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Forgot about this thread. Sig and the Northwestern still own, and it's legitimately fun to watch them work because they seem to be the best organized among the boats they follow.

Campbell posted:

Freddie also seems to magnify the personality of his captain like 100 fold. Old days Phil, Freddie: seemed like a calm but sarcastic mentor. Keith Freddie: angry bully picking drunken fights. Sure it could all be the edit, but we had a lot of Phil years to see Freddie and he seems totally different now.

This is a good point. I liked Freddie until he pulled that poo poo with the Greenhorn over the mohawk last season, which was utter garbage. He went from "reliable guy I'd like to have on my boat" to "meathead frat boy douchebag".

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
The special about the Northwestern was a great story. I'd like to see that done on more of the boats.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

kefkafloyd posted:

The special about the Northwestern was a great story. I'd like to see that done on more of the boats.

I wish they had shown commercials for it last week so I might have recorded it...

With regards to Mythbusters, wasn't there supposed to be another season already? I remember a crazy preview that teased that they were going to redo the cement truck explosion or top it. What happened?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Campbell posted:

Yeah, I don't know about Freddie, after last season of him being a total shitlord bully lowlife I don't like him much. But at the same time I do think this show is very heavily edited to whitewash the people on it, for obvious reasons. So maybe real Freddie just made for good tv last season.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I don't think it was the editing, I think it's exactly like someone said earlier that Phil probably would have never put up with that type of bullying poo poo, he didn't seem like that kind of man from what we saw.

Keith absolutely he thinks it's loving hilarious that he burns through a greenhorn every year, it's to keep his costs low.

Schlampa
Dec 28, 2006

Freddie being a douchenozzle last season bothered me quite a bit at first. After I thought about it, the job they have is dangerous and they have to depend on each other. Respect and trust would be pretty huge for people working in those conditions.

It's just a haircut, stoping being a bitch about it.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Ok, starting tonight's episode, they're going on bardi crab and making it seem like Eliot ran his boat aground.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Elliot is so loving stupid. "Roll down your window so I can serve you sir." "My attorney says you have to physically hand me the papers and I'm not rolling my window down :smug:"

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
That guy continually finds new ways to piss me off. He couldn't even be the hero and not piss me off. I mean he's sittin up there in his captain's chair blaming the guys freezing to death in the life raft for dropping the tow rope. Elliot's old man though, that guy is the real deal.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Even though the show never, EVER show's Val's side of things, I still find it impossible to not side with her. And that is saying something. We already know he was into drugs, so I am guessing she just doesn't want to deal with his poo poo, regardless of how much money he is now making. If she is actually in the wrong, then the show must be editing the poo poo out of Elliot because I find it hard to believe he would continue to do the show if he was explaining the situation accurately and they were constantly leaving that on the cutting room floor to make him look like poo poo.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
He said he owed 50k in child support. I know nothing about child support but 50k sounds like a lot. Would that amount be months or years of not paying?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Digital Jedi posted:

He said he owed 50k in child support. I know nothing about child support but 50k sounds like a lot. Would that amount be months or years of not paying?

Also yeah, it's amazing how unsympathetic he is when we've seen a grand total of like 3 minutes of her.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Digital Jedi posted:

I have no idea how it works. Not sure if it is a percentage of income or if there is a cap or a flat rate. Also, it could be that he skipped payments entirely, or that he didn't pay fully over a longer period of time. I assume he must have been dishonest about his income at some point to get out of paying a higher amount but she busted that open when he bought his own boat.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The one thing I love about this show that I wish carried over to other documentary-style "reality" shows is that it seems hard, if not impossible, to inject staged confrontations and drama into. It was disappointing to see Ice Road Truckers go down that path, to where it's not fun to watch anymore because it's all about "The DASH for the CASH" interspersed with the girl trying to market herself.

Elliott's saga makes me afraid this show will go that way with him, fabricating made-for-TV garbage involving he and Val we'll have to deal with as opposed to actual crab fishing stuff.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

CBJSprague24 posted:

The one thing I love about this show that I wish carried over to other documentary-style "reality" shows is that it seems hard, if not impossible, to inject staged confrontations and drama into. It was disappointing to see Ice Road Truckers go down that path, to where it's not fun to watch anymore because it's all about "The DASH for the CASH" interspersed with the girl trying to market herself.

Elliott's saga makes me afraid this show will go that way with him, fabricating made-for-TV garbage involving he and Val we'll have to deal with as opposed to actual crab fishing stuff.

I'm pretty sure Elliott doesn't need Discovery Channel making poo poo up about him with everything he's spontaneously done on camera involving his personal life.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Luigi Thirty posted:

Elliot is so loving stupid. "Roll down your window so I can serve you sir." "My attorney says you have to physically hand me the papers and I'm not rolling my window down :smug:"

haha haven't seen it yet, but your attorney is very wrong, Elliot. Last time I watched someone serve papers and the person refused to take them, the cop dropped them on her feet, said "you've been served" and walked away.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
You can even be served by them leaving papers on your front door. Sheriff did that do me once, rubber-banded the papers real good to my door handle. And if that was a summons then him not showing up doesn't stop the case, it only means he's not there to defend himself.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Hey hey hey. New deadliest catch, anyone watching?

E: God I hate Elliot.

E2: wow, I feel really bad for Captain Scott Jr. That is some rough poo poo.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 28, 2014

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
At least Elliot is off to rehab.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Jesus poor Captain Scott, you know deep down he's also thinking about all the guys on his boat the depend on him to fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I'm sure nobody is watching it since it's not about catching fish, but this behind-the-scenes of Dual Survival has been real good. The footwear-less hippy Cody keeps losing it in all these un-aired footages, throwing random fits. I never really liked him, hope the new hippy is more tolerable.

• Locked thread