Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

CowOnCrack posted:

How about less than 5 years after they make a movie trivializing destruction of US Navy boats by Japanese planes?

I guess maybe disaster exploitation doesn't exist, but I feel it does. Are movies are free to use realistic destruction mimicking recent events? It bothers me, because they were real events with real consequences and the events in these movies are trying seem as real as possible but without showing any consequences. It's the same reason I was bothered by Inglorious Basterds and Django unchained - it's just creepy the way they appropriate really serious history poo poo (holocaust, slavery). I am sure others are not bothered.

You could make this same argument about the Iliad and the Odyssey. Or Earthquake, or The Towering Inferno, or The Poseidon Adventure, or... Funny you don't mention like, World Trade Center or United 93, movies that are literally about 9/11.

Hell the 1954 Godzilla is direct response to the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings, and the beginning of the movie is essentially a recreation of the Daigo Fukuryū Maru incident in 1947, except with a giant radioactive dinosaur.

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

Sometimes I read the Redline review and just marvel at how mad someone got about a cartoon racing movie.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

COBRARocky posted:

Sometimes I read the Redline review and just marvel at how mad someone got about a cartoon racing movie.

Big surprise, another Professor Clumsy review. Pretty sure he is mentally incapable of being simply entertained

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
My favorite part of the Redline review was when he just went full on 'THIS SHOULD BE BANNED' multiple times because a robot had tits or something. Like, the end of the review turned into nearly a passionate plea for a lynch mob to form or something. We have to STOP these anime racers before they can strike again!

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
On the subject of Maleficent: Does her heel turn have the same disturbing "I'm evil now because a boy dumped me" subtext that Oz The Great and Powerful did?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

On the subject of Maleficent: Does her heel turn have the same disturbing "I'm evil now because a boy dumped me" subtext that Oz The Great and Powerful did?

It ain't even subtext. It's literally the plot of the movie.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.somethingawful.com/current-movie-reviews/million-ways-maleficent/1/

Maleficent's weekend opening, US$70 million North American box office and US$100 internationally.
Seth MacFarlane's A million Ways To Die In The West, US$17.1 million.

The reviewers were right on with this one.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

What is the supposed anti-royalist sentiment that Scots are supposed to be associated with historically? The Jacobites? The SNP? Those were/are both explicitly monarchist movements.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Chairman Capone posted:

What is the supposed anti-royalist sentiment that Scots are supposed to be associated with historically? The Jacobites? The SNP? Those were/are both explicitly monarchist movements.

Go back a bit farther, son! Braveheart, Rob Roy, we don't even have to stop talking about movies to answer this question.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

To be fair, it's less "I'm evil now because a boy dumped me" and more "I'm evil now because HORRIFYING BODILY MUTILATION-BASED BETRAYAL".

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So between Fault in Our Stars and Godzilla, two of the current blockbusters have main character couples who play siblings in other movies. I'm trying to think of other times this casting choice has been done in movies and can't really remember, and here we are with two big ones hitting at once.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
It's too bad Avengers 2 is still a whole year away, because I'd kinda like to see all the bizarre thinkpieces it would inevitably spawn.

DarksydePhilFish
Dec 31, 2004

tabarnak ack ack

Jay Dub posted:

It's too bad Avengers 2 is still a whole year away, because I'd kinda like to see all the bizarre thinkpieces it would inevitably spawn.

Why wait when you can use the future to write your own now? That's right, Triticum Guzzler's "Terrible God drat Comic Book Movies: Days of Future Past" is on the frontpage today! Those of you who didn't get a chance to read it here on the forums, or are simply looking for movie reviews handled a little differently than

quote:

Her car does not have wheels like the other ones do, because she is without penis and being without penis or wheels just isn't giving her the edge she needs to win on her own terms. [hahaha holy poo poo]

might want to take a look, as it's sort of an interesting take on the discipline using jokes and humor.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Its very funny, but is it as funny as someone gnashing their teeth and crying out in despair over a boob robot in a racing car anime film? I'm not sure.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Wow some people really give a poo poo about someone reviewing a lovely anime movie several years later. Most impressive.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Wow some people really give a poo poo about someone reviewing a lovely anime movie several years later. Most impressive.

Yeah, I went back and read the review because of all the bitching about and seriously people, let it go. The review is pretty aware of how it's going to be percieved as well even saying

quote:

If you just want a bombardment of awesome poo poo and loud music, then you're going to love this and probably shouldn't read any further

Yet people still got really mad for some reason. Like Clumsy knows most people aren't going to give a poo poo about his reading and he flat out says that if you don't care about this stuff, this is a pretty good movie, but he does and he writed about it and people get mad about someone having a different view for some reason.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012
From the "A Million Ways to Die in the West" review:

quote:

MacFarlane's comedic and cinematic style seems to be transplanted from another time. It's incredibly old-fashioned vaudeville silliness full of mugging to the camera and wacky exits. He wants to be Bob Hope in a time when nobody cares about Bob Hope.

Considering the older episodes of Family Guy (back when the show was pretty much looked down on as a mediocre Simpsons clone -- coming at a time when The Simpsons quality was starting to fade (around seasons nine and ten, especially when Phil Hartman died and Mike Scully was showrunner) -- known for its cutaways and flashback jokes) and pretty much any interview where he talks about his love for 1940s and 1950s things, I'm surprised the reviewers didn't pick up on this sooner.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Penny Paper posted:

From the "A Million Ways to Die in the West" review:

Considering the older episodes of Family Guy (back when the show was pretty much looked down on as a mediocre Simpsons clone -- coming at a time when The Simpsons quality was starting to fade (around seasons nine and ten, especially when Phil Hartman died and Mike Scully was showrunner) -- known for its cutaways and flashback jokes) and pretty much any interview where he talks about his love for 1940s and 1950s things, I'm surprised the reviewers didn't pick up on this sooner.

I think that's something everyone kinda already knows about McFarlane, but we just never got the opportunity to say it because thankfully, there aren't very many instances where we have to talk about Seth McFarlane.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Saw How to Drain Your Dragon 2 today because I had to kill five hours. Chose that movie because of the review. Never saw the first one. No regrets. Thanks current releases for helping me murder time with a smile on my face.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

New Jersey pride, Vargo, you dick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM1sQhMGGS8

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

The only Disney Princess with a body count... in the thousands.

I'm gonna go ahead and put money on Vargo not giving a flying gently caress about that video, if he bothers to watch it at all.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

TwistedLadder posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and put money on Vargo not giving a flying gently caress about that video, if he bothers to watch it at all.

I didn't!

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
What the hell is New Jersey?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Jay Dub posted:

A place we tell children about in monster stories.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Jay Dub posted:

What Della Wears.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Vargo posted:

What Della Wears.

Holy poo poo, boo this man.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Willow Creek turned out to be pretty great, glad I read the review glad I watched the film.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

N. Senada posted:

Willow Creek turned out to be pretty great, glad I read the review glad I watched the film.
Did you go see the screening/Q&A? Goldthwait's touring with it right now. Observations: Goldthwait is shorter than I expected, Gilmore is taller than I expected.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Read the review on Willow Creek. Based on the line ".... and it's punctuated by an ending that quietly spells out the disparity in worst fates imaginable for men and women who venture into the wild unknown looking for an encounter with a monstrous biped", I'm speculating the ending is the dude gets killed by bigfoot, and the girl is dragged away for some backwoods ape-rape?

Confirm Y/N?

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Read the review on Willow Creek. Based on the line ".... and it's punctuated by an ending that quietly spells out the disparity in worst fates imaginable for men and women who venture into the wild unknown looking for an encounter with a monstrous biped", I'm speculating the ending is the dude gets killed by bigfoot, and the girl is dragged away for some backwoods ape-rape?

Confirm Y/N?
You should watch the movie instead of reading this spoiler: Confirmed, but it's even worse than that. The implication is, Bigfoot's gonna keep her for a good, long while as a brood mare. :(

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 30, 2014

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Keanu Grieves posted:

You should watch the movie instead of reading this spoiler:

I will for sure, but I love reading spoilers. They don't affect my enjoyment of movies/games/whatever.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Melissa McCarthy has played basically the same character in all her movies: Large, uncouth woman who does large, uncouth things. That feels like a problem to me.

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

The only Disney Princess with a body count... in the thousands.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Melissa McCarthy has played basically the same character in all her movies: Large, uncouth woman who does large, uncouth things. That feels like a problem to me.

Her career is so tragic. She's not without some talent as a performer, but for some reason everything she does is this same (largely unfunny) schtick. It's like she's willingly pigeonholed herself.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

How much was Joel McHale hamming it up in Deliver Us From Evil, on a scale from 1 to 10? That man is a treasure.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

TwistedLadder posted:

Her career is so tragic. She's not without some talent as a performer, but for some reason everything she does is this same (largely unfunny) schtick. It's like she's willingly pigeonholed herself.

I love me some Gilmore Girls and she was fantastic as Sookie St. Cloud in that show. Then she sort of kept under the radar until Bridesmaids made her a thing. a horrible offensive thing.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Y-Hat posted:

How much was Joel McHale hamming it up in Deliver Us From Evil, on a scale from 1 to 10? That man is a treasure.
Eleven. If there's a reason the movie's watchable, he's it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

TwistedLadder posted:

I said this in another thread but I was willing to think that the reason she kept playing these awful roles was because of Hollywood only letting someone like her play those roles but I think she cowrote Tammy with her husband who also directed the film so I don't think she can really deflect the blame here. I mean guess I can say that Hollywood was only willing to give her money for the movie if she was being the type of character they want her to be but I still feel that can only explain away so much in this case.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
She's actually won Emmy awards for not playing the oafish comic relief on that Mike & Molly show. You'd think being an award-winning comedic straight woman would open up some other doors for her, but apparently not.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Will anyone be reviewing Earth to Echo for CR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Check the article again.

• Locked thread