Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Mighty Dicktron posted:

The secret that no one told anyone about that gen is that the Gamecube was actually nearly as powerful as the Xbox was, a lot of its hangups actually came from the low storage space that the miniDvDs it used to store games.

Honestly the GameCube's biggest problem was it never had a super awesome flagship title, in fact the vast majority of games for it were pretty forgettable. The N64 opened up with Mario 64 which literally defined an entire genre, then followed by Mario Kart which defined another genre, Goldeneye which needs no introduction, Ocarina of Time which defined a third genre in 3D and Banjo Kazooie which basically defined the Metroidvania genre in 3D.

There's nothing wrong with the GameCube, its a perfectly good console from a hardware perspective. But following on the N64's act it does not compare favorably at all. The only Gamecube game I actually remember (like, at all) is Wind Waker which, while excellent, isn't enough to hold the console up on its own.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 08:56 on May 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Neruz posted:

Honestly the GameCube's biggest problem was it never had a super awesome flagship title, in fact the vast majority of games for it were pretty forgettable. The N64 opened up with Mario 64 which literally defined an entire genre, then followed by Mario Kart which defined another genre, Goldeneye which needs no introduction, Ocarina of Time which defined a third genre in 3D and Banjo Kazooie which basically defined the Metroidvania genre in 3D.

None of that has anything to do with the hardware and not at all what's being discussed!!

The Gamecube had a lot of marketing, exclusivity, and sale problems yeah, which everyone knows.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mighty Dicktron posted:

The secret that no one told anyone about that gen is that the Gamecube was actually nearly as powerful as the Xbox was, a lot of its hangups actually came from the low storage space that the miniDvDs it used to store games.

And even that was arguably a benefit; Nintendo seemed to put a lot of priority on shorter load times, and the Gamecube's load times were great.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Cleretic posted:

And even that was arguably a benefit; Nintendo seemed to put a lot of priority on shorter load times, and the Gamecube's load times were great.

Flow of gameplay is super important to Nintendo; they want their games to have as little breaks in that flow as possible which means load times should be short to nonexistant.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Part of the reason why Nintendo stuck with cartridges for so long was because loading off of separate hardware is infinitely faster than loading off of a disc, literally every other benefit of discs aside, cost to produce included. Nintendo really loves fast loading times.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Well when you don't value a player's time, you get loading screen messes like Sonic '06. :v:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Even when the load times could be pretty bad (like in the first Metroid Prime,) they'd always make sure there was mitigating factors like the doors hiding loading screens. At least you could still look around and shoot things, you know?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Crono Trigger for the Playstaion. Loading times that made it unplayable, for every combat.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Even when the load times could be pretty bad (like in the first Metroid Prime,) they'd always make sure there was mitigating factors like the doors hiding loading screens. At least you could still look around and shoot things, you know?
Plus the fact that you could shoot a door while still running up to it to get the game to start loading the next room in advance. Elevators to transition between entire regions still were kinda bad, though.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
There's an invisible trigger to start loading the next room. Shooting the door just makes it turn gray and doesn't start any loading. It will load as soon as it opens, though.

Azriel Odin posted:

I can't help but wonder what "LuigiOnMarioParts" actually is. Besides a strange innuendo, but that's probably not it.

I'll give you a hint: it's a reused asset from the first game.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Suspicious Dish posted:

There's an invisible trigger to start loading the next room. Shooting the door just makes it turn gray and doesn't start any loading. It will load as soon as it opens, though.

I'll give you a hint: it's a reused asset from the first game.

Is it from the big 8-bit sprite galaxies?

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Bruceski posted:

Crono Trigger for the Playstaion. Loading times that made it unplayable, for every combat.

do you mean Chrono Cross?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

TomBosleyExp posted:

No, they released Chrono Trigger with FF6 on the PS1 and the load times utterly ruined them.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

TomBosleyExp posted:

There was a port of Chrono Trigger that I think came bundled with Final Fantasy 7. It had FMV anime cutscenes and 10 second load times for every single fight. The entire screen would freeze during the loading and it was the most obnoxious thing.

e:f,b also it may be FF6 instead?

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
It was Final Fantasy IV that got rereleased with CT as FFChronicles. Which back then confused people that had discovered it as II? Unless I'm misremembering.

In any case, yeah, load times were sucky, but I'm guessing most people might've just put up with it if they had already been playing other PSX games or had never played the SNES version. Still, I think as a kid I was more tolerant of load times and didn't really mind them.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Bruceski posted:

So that wasn't just a problem with my PlayStation? Good to know! I just couldn't play it.

Ometeotl posted:

No, they released Chrono Trigger with FF6 on the PS1 and the load times utterly ruined them.
Final Fantasy Chronicles for the PlayStation included Chrono Trigger (for some reason) and Final Fantasy IV.

Final Fantasy Anthology has FFV and FFVI.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Bah, close enough. They had awful load times, too, anyway.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I can remember my playstation getting slower and slower, until I couldn't play any RPG, because fights just never loaded. Just endless fight music.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I beat FFV and FFVI on the PSX in spite of the load times.

I am a shell of a man

EDIT: Luigi.

Diabetus
Jul 5, 2004

:mario: Part XXXIX - World 5 Green Stars :mario:

Baldurdash / YouTube
(guests: Psychedelic Eyeball & Ragny)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
There's a cool new LP of Mario 3D World if you guys want to see a Mario game that's even better than Galaxy 1 & 2: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3636101

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.

Hedrigall posted:

There's a cool new LP of Mario 3D World if you guys want to see a Mario game that's even better than Galaxy 1 & 2: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3636101

Yeah pretty much everything Ragny said about how he wants the green stars to be is how they are in 3D World.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
That last green star was the last one I found when I played the game. I went and did all the rest when it stumped me. It's wayyyyyyyy out of the way.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Watching the green stars is actually making me want to play through this game again more than the original videos then for some reason. Maybe because these go by so quickly it's hard to remember many of them.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Since ArgonMatrix is gone from the thread I guess there's nothing wrong with posting this.

King Christmas
Oct 17, 2012

I fell out of a plane crash because you need to stop.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Since ArgonMatrix is gone from the thread I guess there's nothing wrong with posting this.

Whatever happened to him anyway? I miss his stuff.

This is pretty cool either way. Especially that crazy gravity manipulation at the beginning. It would never have occurred to me that you could do that.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Canada actually has a desert in BC!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okanagan_Desert

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

It's not a "real" desert - it's actually semiarid steppe. :eng101:

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

ElTipejoLoco posted:

It was Final Fantasy IV that got rereleased with CT as FFChronicles. Which back then confused people that had discovered it as II? Unless I'm misremembering.

In any case, yeah, load times were sucky, but I'm guessing most people might've just put up with it if they had already been playing other PSX games or had never played the SNES version. Still, I think as a kid I was more tolerant of load times and didn't really mind them.

I actually had no idea the load times were 'bad' and played that as the first time I played CT.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Diabetus posted:

:mario: Part XXXIX - World 5 Green Stars :mario:

Baldurdash / YouTube
(guests: Psychedelic Eyeball & Ragny)

By the way, what's Betus's favorite beer? Boo Moon Belgian White.
Super disappointed you didn't even allude to that. Such a cash money pun.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Araenna posted:

I can remember my playstation getting slower and slower, until I couldn't play any RPG, because fights just never loaded. Just endless fight music.
One time I was playing FFIX a couple of years back, and I was just about to save in the Black Mage Village.

...it took 20 minutes to load the save menu :negative: I hadn't saved in like two hours and I was like "holy gently caress no please" and I just kept it running in hope that it would work.
Saved that poo poo aaaaaaaaand didn't go back to it again so what was the point I ask myself :v:

Also holy gently caress yes Psych and Ragny are in this one, this gon be gud.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
You know I can help you with that fire buttass situation.

D1sabl3d
Mar 15, 2014
Everyone of fanfiction.gov agrees, Luigi has a really hot butt.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Psych, you really should do more Luigi voice acting, that was great.

I wonder whether it's possible to get that Shiverburn cloud star with a very well timed triple jump... on ice that's being bombarded with meteorites.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Wonder if Slowbeef's gonna have an announcement in his next video appearance....

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I also wondered if he would announce that he's having a baby in the middle of someone else's LP about adult space Marios but realized that would be dumb and he'd most likely stay on topic and announce it in the middle of someone's Yoshi's Island LP.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Babeef.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
I am not going to drop any big news in the Mario Galaxy 2 LP. Twitter is obviously the place for that.

KamenZero
Oct 19, 2013
Man, that was a great World 4 video, can't wait to see World 5....... waaiiiiiit....

On another note, I had a dream last night that I was buds with Diabetus and was hinting at him like "Man, sure would be awesome to commentate over a diabetic guy playing Super Mario Galaxy 2"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW

KamenZero posted:

On another note, I had a dream last night that I was buds with Diabetus and was hinting at him like "Man, sure would be awesome to commentate over a diabetic guy playing Super Mario Galaxy 2"

That's when the spider with your mom's head started singing Queen, right?

• Locked thread