Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK
Let's talk about the utter bullshit that is the Dell M1000e blade chassis.

Specifically where they randomly lose connections to every sodding IO module (and apparently I'm the only one who reads the loving idrac logs when your blades drop off the loving fabric). Likely we'll have to get the midplane replaced, again.

gently caress you Dell. I didn't get this poo poo with IBM or HP blades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Sirotan posted:

Word, y'all. We got run out of #sysadmin on synirc because their mods are all strangely anti-SA, to the point that if you even mention it you get kicked/banned which is super dumb and not fun at all! #bofh is like this thread only in real time, come and hang out with us!!

Well that explains why it's been so quiet over the last few days.

#BOFH is still on synirc then?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Zephirus posted:

Let's talk about the utter bullshit that is the Dell M1000e blade chassis.

Specifically where they randomly lose connections to every sodding IO module (and apparently I'm the only one who reads the loving idrac logs when your blades drop off the loving fabric). Likely we'll have to get the midplane replaced, again.

Maybe vibrating too much. Try taping them in place. Not even joking.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Crowley posted:

Well that explains why it's been so quiet over the last few days.

#BOFH is still on synirc then?

It is!

And congrats on your new job and payout, if you were local I'd buy you a beer but looks like you can probably afford the first round yourself now!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

AlternateAccount posted:

Seriously, you can turn off RD via GP from your desk for everyone, none of that walking bullshit.

The walking comes in later when you have to do desk visits for everything. And never stops.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Zephirus posted:

I was really looking forward to working with these. I am the odd man out, but I love me some dell servers.

Mattress Man
Apr 3, 2009

:dukedog:
I'm getting bitched at daily by VP's about their company iPhones having a passcode because "It's too much like a big corporation!" Never mind that we have almost 300 loving people, we aren't exactly small anymore.

Oh yeah and our new admin intern (who is the daughter of one of the owners) has decided that I'm supposed to make a slideshow for the tv behind the front desk (she already asked our marketing manager who politely told her to gently caress off, I have real work to do). And yet every day she sends out emails saying that she's looking for work. I swear that department is the sole reason that me and my girlfriend spend so much time at the bar.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Mattress Man posted:

I'm getting bitched at daily by VP's about their company iPhones having a passcode because "It's too much like a big corporation!" Never mind that we have almost 300 loving people, we aren't exactly small anymore.

Welcome to my world. Latest "we're too big!" complaint was the act of having our Lync caller ID show up as an 800 number.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I get #sysadmin not being generated by SA, but opers can be dix about it as soon as someone mentions it. Talk about beer or Japan is cool. I got thrown out for bitching about lovely small business switches, when that opinion wasn't shared. Oh well. Cisco TAC pissing me off today with their casual lack of doing anything useful whatsoever. Case time going on eight months.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Partycat posted:

I get #sysadmin not being generated by SA, but opers can be dix about it as soon as someone mentions it. Talk about beer or Japan is cool. I got thrown out for bitching about lovely small business switches, when that opinion wasn't shared. Oh well. Cisco TAC pissing me off today with their casual lack of doing anything useful whatsoever. Case time going on eight months.

Also a lot of the off topic chat really pissed that op off, and that's partially my fault as he really hates my guts it seems. To the point that during a discussion of rooting an HTC Wildfire S where I happened to mention (when asked) that it was for one of my partners and that she is not a tech person hence being happy with an older phone, that was enough to cause complaints.

It's a good job he never saw the conversations the morning crew had!

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
How representative are glassdoor reviews of companies?

Are they always a bitchfest even if the company is decent, or is a ton of bad reviews in glassdoor a reliable warning to avoid the company?

If it is... gently caress.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

nitrogen posted:

Are they always a bitchfest even if the company is decent, or is a ton of bad reviews in glassdoor a reliable warning to avoid the company?

I always take internet reviews of any kind with a grain of salt. I would think that people would be more inclined to madpost on employer review sites after they get fired or quit because it sucks, than happypost after leaving on good terms.

I would look for consistent, specific details across many reviews. "This company sucks" a few times doesn't really tell me anything. Dozens of people posting "one problem is that they are stuck on machines no newer than 8 years old running windows xp and they're all breaking down and they aren't willing to pay for anything better and I'm becoming obsolete in the industry," that's something a little more telling. Just make sure that all those comments weren't mysteriously posted within an hour of each other or something.

:siren: Disclaimer: This is nothing more than conjecture; I've never worked anywhere big enough to have a glassdoor presence worth paying attention to.

I don't remember your circumstances; are you at the offer stage? If so were you able to take a tour of the offices and see/speak with people that you would be working with? Any red flags there? Did a lot of them look beaten down? A personal read on the situation would probably be helpful.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

nitrogen posted:

Always a bitchfest. People who post on glassdoor are either so dissatisfied or so pleased with they're job that they're willing to anonymously review it on the internet. They're outliers by default

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud
I feel like it's the same situation as you find with apartment reviews. People only post them when they're pissed, or asked to, so they're inherently broken.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I always enjoy our constant cycle of senior management asking why we don't have spare equipment on hand at major locations that we would could quickly configure to replace failed hardware. Then handing them a quote saying they would need to buy more equipment. They say its too much, then drop the idea. Next time something breaks, cycle starts anew.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Malkar posted:

I feel like it's the same situation as you find with apartment reviews. People only post them when they're pissed, or asked to, so they're inherently broken.

Though if none of the reviews go worse than "the rent is too high and I had a circuit breaker issue once" then you have a pretty good indication it's a good place to live.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
On a conference call. Why is there always one guy? Get off speaker phone or speak up, holy poo poo.

Like listening to Charlie Brown's teacher from the next room.

I've reached the point where I don't even acknowledge that person. You're supposed to be like "I'm sorry Jeff, could you repeat that, I didn't catch that". No more of that. I've been speaking to and listening to English my entire life - if you say something and I didn't understand it, your bad. I just ignore it or talk over the person (because I am petty).

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 29, 2014

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
That right after I spent three months of my life working on Project Truecrypt, feeling good that almost everyone is done by Wednesday night of the week of rollout...

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

CitizenKain posted:

I always enjoy our constant cycle of senior management asking why we don't have spare equipment on hand at major locations that we would could quickly configure to replace failed hardware. Then handing them a quote saying they would need to buy more equipment. They say its too much, then drop the idea. Next time something breaks, cycle starts anew.

I have this fantasy in my head of someone printing out every email exchange where this cycle is completed, and just storing them in a box, and this going on for years. And then one day the meeting happens where all the management is sick of this poo poo and wants someone to throw under the bus, and they just dump out the box all over the table.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I've reached the point where I don't even acknowledge that person. You're supposed to be like "I'm sorry Jeff, could you repeat that, I didn't catch that". No more of that. I've been speaking to and listening to English my entire life - if you say something and I didn't understand it, your bad. I just ignore it or talk over the person (because I am petty).
Speakerphone on a conference is lovely. But as someone with an odd accent who's had to repeat himself his whole life (especially on the phone), this is a terrible attitude.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.
I have been working with a vendor on a new GPS tracking system that our department purchased. I've been doing field tests, preparing documentation, and putting together training for the road officers so we can start deploying it. The system uses a web interface for the tracking portion, and since we are still in the testing phase, only 4 people have access to the website. There are only 3 of us who have used the system enough to be proficient with it. In short, the system is not ready for deployment yet.

I came in this morning to find out that my supervisor (who is not involved in this project in any way, other than he is the one who signed the purchase order) flipped his poo poo last night because "we paid for this device and its not getting used!" So without consulting me (you know, the person in charge of the project) he told the night shift supervisor to start putting the system out and "get something out of our investment".

I just spent a half hour trying to get it into his head that it's probably not a good idea to have people deploy an expensive device that they have never used, never been trained on, and don't have access to the means to track.

I still don't think he gets it.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
This whole TrueCrypt fiasco has me so :ohdear:

I only use TC for my personal stuff. At work we use Symantec. But if TC fell to the NSA sword and Symantec didn't, that just makes me more :ohdear:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Lord Dudeguy posted:

This whole TrueCrypt fiasco has me so :ohdear:

I only use TC for my personal stuff. At work we use Symantec. But if TC fell to the NSA sword and Symantec didn't, that just makes me more :ohdear:

Also very curious on this. Would love some more details.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Moey posted:

Also very curious on this. Would love some more details.
There aren't any, just a whole lot of speculation.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

anthonypants posted:

There aren't any, just a whole lot of speculation.

And that is what makes me sad. I doubt we will ever actually know what happened.

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud
The latest tweet from one of the guys involved int he security audit is:

"Last I heard from Truecrypt: "We are looking forward to results of phase 2 of your audit. Thank you very much for all your efforts again!"

And then there's these lovely instructions on how to encrypt your files on Mac:

Note the encryption type.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Moey posted:

And that is what makes me sad. I doubt we will ever actually know what happened.

I'm calling it now: internal spat about some really technical issue taht devolved into an arguement about WOW or MLP and resulted in one fo the team storming off in a huff, taking all the passwords with him.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

mllaneza posted:

The walking comes in later when you have to do desk visits for everything. And never stops.

This is what I meant, although part of my network is the otherside of 2 firewalls that I can't open up AD to... So I guess a little from column A and a little from column B. :(

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

spog posted:

I'm calling it now: internal spat about some really technical issue taht devolved into an arguement about WOW or MLP and resulted in one fo the team storming off in a huff, taking all the passwords with him.

I feel like the advice to use Bitlocker (wtf) or "whatever you find" on Linux is a huge red flag that all is not what it seems. :tinfoil:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

sfwarlock posted:

I feel like the advice to use Bitlocker (wtf) or "whatever you find" on Linux is a huge red flag that all is not what it seems. :tinfoil:

not secure as

Honestly cannary seems plausible atm.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
Developers that fight tooth and nail to avoid configuration management of their snowflake application, then bitch and moan when they put a request in and we can't get it done in 5 minutes, like we can with every single other loving developer in the company.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
The whole truecrypt thing boggles my mind. I can't bring myself to believe that it's genuine, considering how unprofessional and abrupt the announcement was and that they were making efforts to prove their code was secure.

Of course, the :tinfoil: explanation is that the NSA really had managed to get a back door in and thought the audit would find it before too long, so coerced them somehow.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
From what I've gathered, the audit isn't stopping (they still have $30K to blow on it).

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

SEKCobra posted:

not secure as

Honestly cannary seems plausible atm.

A slashdot commenter claims there are several canaries.

quote:

Re:my 2p conspiracy theory (Score:5, Interesting)
by Anonymous Coward on Thursday May 29, 2014 @02:19AM (#47117051)
Alas, one or more of the TrueCrypt devs (syncon?) have been located and are acting under duress, as a 'canary' previously agreed upon has been published:
1. Compiling with VC2010, and then not manually changing the .rc's language from "English (United States)" to "English (U.S.)" as it was in VC6;
2. Changing the published release date from "on " to "in ";
3. Format/InPlace.c #12, remove reference in comment to "(likely an MS bug)" - changing this parenthetical should not be counted as canary, but removing it should

TC's build process is surprisingly arcane (includes old software due to bootloader code size, etc), and while a lot of it is accumulated dust, some of the dust is deliberately placed.

I do not know precisely what this means, as I have no contact with the developers anymore: but this is what was agreed upon.

They should no longer be trusted, their binaries should not be executed, their site should be considered compromised, and their key should be treated as revoked. It may be that they have been approached by an aggressive intelligence agency or NSLed, but I don't know for sure.

While the source of 7.2 does not appear to my eyes to be backdoored, other than obviously not supporting encryption anymore, I have not analysed the binary and distrust it. It shouldn't be distributed or executed.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Honestly, I feel like thwm recommending Bitlocker is the thing that deserves most of the attention.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

rolleyes posted:

The whole truecrypt thing boggles my mind. I can't bring myself to believe that it's genuine, considering how unprofessional and abrupt the announcement was and that they were making efforts to prove their code was secure.

That's where I am with this. If it isn't a hacker, then a member of the dev team has gone cuckoo.

Based on their history I would expect that if they genuinely wanted to reveal a vuln, they would go into it in great technical detail that mere mortals like me wouldn't be able to understand.

If they wanted to reveal a vuln without doing so officially, it would be trivial to post something anonymously and let the world of geeks run with it.

thelightguy posted:

A slashdot commenter claims there are several canaries.

That's an interesting idea.

SEKCobra posted:

Honestly, I feel like thwm recommending Bitlocker is the thing that deserves most of the attention.

Me too. Apart from the style of the announcement, suggesting Bitlocker as an alternative is hilarious; especially as the whole ethos of Trucrypt was that you can't trust closed, commercial software because a) it's not done well and b) there are govt backdoors in it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Really hate waiting for people's poo poo to boot who have non-SSD's in their laptops

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

Bob Morales posted:

Really hate waiting for people's poo poo to boot who have non-SSD's in their machines

FTFY.

I work on a top of the range iMac, and at times it's quicker walking around the entire business park than waiting for the bloody HDD to stop thrashing and load Sublime Text after booting.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Westie posted:

FTFY.

I work on a top of the range iMac, and at times it's quicker walking around the entire business park than waiting for the bloody HDD to stop thrashing and load Sublime Text after booting.

That's God telling you to use vim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Bob Morales posted:

Really hate waiting for people's poo poo to boot who have non-SSD's in their laptops

Yeah... I've just had to work on 2 lovely low-end laptops with 5400 RPM HDD's.
So. drat. Slow.