Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Nipponophile posted:

Godzilla Radio put out another episode of Hitoshi Matsumoto's Suberanai Hanashi a couple of weeks ago. It's got some great stories, with the added novelty of having non-Japanese comedian Chad Mullane added to the mix.

Unfortunately, it seems he's soured on the translating game. I wish more people would step up.

Yea, I watched. Unfortunately, the problem with subbing is not only is timing a chore but there's so few subbers they probably get annoyed to death and the two combine to burn people out. Shibatabread was a monster translator and probably the best as far as true translation because he had an American wife to instantly bounce off the English but he did nothing but batsu games and other Gaki stuff and in 2 years he was done. It's a rough, mostly thankless job.

Another subber will step up and do a bunch of stuff soon and then burn out and on the circle will go.

I didn't find this SH that great but that's mainly because the storytellers weren't as strong. Some of those guys are amazing at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

the problem with subbing is not only is timing a chore

On that note, just gonna throw out that I'm available for timing scripts should there happen to be any translators perusing this thread.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A translation team with the quality of SA-GCCX from over in the Games sub-forum for Gaki stuff would be a dream come true. No complaints can be made about the team over at Team Gaki's effort with the latest batsu, but it appears that they too have all but petered out now that's done and dusted.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Aurain posted:

A translation team with the quality of SA-GCCX from over in the Games sub-forum for Gaki stuff would be a dream come true. No complaints can be made about the team over at Team Gaki's effort with the latest batsu, but it appears that they too have all but petered out now that's done and dusted.

I think they're happy enough just translating the yearly batsu to get the money from adfly or whatever. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't sub anything else this year and just waited for the 2015 batsu (If there is one)

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I found this on the Gaki fan forums. It's a subtitled episode from a couple years ago where they compete to build animals out of Lego. The translation has a couple of rough spots since the translator was working from a French fansub, but it's a pretty fun episode.

http://www.gaki-no-tsukai.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5525

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
All of these creations are amazing in their own right.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I caught that pretty recently too. Hamada's artist skills are still rock bottom.

Here's a nice little clip about Hamada's recent birthday.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/kFdNQewprJQg2m7yt0C

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
There's a 100% chance of Hamadas lego being a gag in this years batsu, right?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
That episode aired in November 2012, so I wouldn't bet on it.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Nothing from that batsusubber crew about the unaired extra material? Nothing on the site but a January or February mention that it's planned.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hamada has issued an apology for cheating on his wife for the past three years with a 29 year old glamour model.
I would never have thought he'd be the type.

http://www.asahi.com/and_w/interest/entertainment/CORI2038637.html

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Aurain posted:

Hamada has issued an apology for cheating on his wife for the past three years with a 29 year old glamour model.

That actually does and doesn't shock me.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Aurain posted:

Huh. And here I thought he was one of those guys that really loved his wife in stark contrast to the type of character he portrays.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
I wonder if they're gonna make fun of that, like they did with Endo's divorce. I know that Matsumoto pretty much dislikes Hamada as a person, so I wonder if he can stay his mouth on that subject.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Considering the fact that they got Tanaka's own son to order a Thai Kick on him, I doubt the staff is going to balk at crossing that line.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Kikka posted:

I know that Matsumoto pretty much dislikes Hamada as a person

Not sure where you drew this from but it's wrong. They don't hate each other, they just came to realize they're better together on-screen than off it.

And I'm not sure they poke fun at this. Hamada is an elder statesman in comedy over there, Endo's status is far less. It may be broached eventually but I wouldn't count on them making a running gag of it, especially not if Hamada and his wife stay married. I kinda don't think Hamada would give them the OK to do this, either.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 16, 2014

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kikka posted:

I know that Matsumoto pretty much dislikes Hamada as a person, so I wonder if he can stay his mouth on that subject.

Supposedly, Matsumoto was on a talk show shortly after the news came out and appeared to suggest that he sort of knew. There are also articles saying that his wife isn't considering divorce and accepted his apology. If they did hate each other, they wouldn't still be together even professionally. Something would have snapped between them long ago. You just don't need to hang out all the time to be friends when you've been in each others lives for so long.

A thai kick from his son is nothing too harmful, and making fun of Endo's divorce is worse, but a divorce is a mutual act between former man and wife. Hamada's wife is the victim of his cheating, not Hamada himself, so taking the piss out of it on the show is a bigger slight on her, not Hamada. I have no doubt that it won't be mentioned at all.

I think the general opinion seems to be that Gaki may be ending quite soon anyway. Suga is reaching retirement age this year, Downtown are 50+ and the Batsu games are long, they work often even when not on Gaki and supposedly, they're burning out. Something like this is likely to speed that process up, you'd imagine.

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

Aurain posted:

Downtown are 50+ and the Batsu games are long, they work often even when not on Gaki and supposedly, they're burning out.

This hits me just as hard as it will when Hayao Miyazaki passes on.

ben liftington
Jul 7, 2004

I got some positive feedback about this show from the GCCX thread in Games, so I thought I'd try posting about it here again.

Dotchi no Ryori, aka Dotch Cooking Show or Cooking Showdown, is a cooking show that aired in Japan between 1997 and 2006, with one-off specials in 2007 and 2012. A panel of contestants watch 2 chefs cook delicious meals, each featuring an extremely rare or obscure ingredient that was specially acquired just for that particular episode. The contestants have to vote on which one they'd like to eat. After the votes are tallied, the meal that receieved the most votes wins, and everyone who picked that one gets to eat! The people who voted for the dish that didn't win are forced to watch the winners eat and then go home with an empty stomach. It's a lot of fun to watch, but bring snacks because it will probably make you super hungry. There are a number of subtitled episodes on Youtube, but I've uploaded some more that I couldn't find on there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXWVI4mHMnw

Hayashi rice (beef and vegetables in a brown gravy with white rice) versus omurice (an omelette wrapped around rice, topped with ketchup). This episode features former Iron Chef Hiroyuki Sakai as one of the 2 chefs cooking, and Yoiko (Shinya Arino and Masaru Hamaguchi) as contestants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSN12KajQOQ

A Christmas battle, roast beef versus roast chicken. Bob Sapp makes an appearance as one of the contestants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1pBPLT1RBw

Dorayaki (red bean paste between 2 small pancakes) versus cream puffs. There were a number of dessert battles on the show, and generally for these the contestants would all be women except for Tsuyoshi Kusanagi from SMAP, who seems to be a contestant in every single episode of Dotchi. I've only seen some of the episodes that were subtitled for US TV but I can't recall ever seeing one without him.

I'll be uploading more episodes of this to Youtube over the next couple weeks. If you like cooking shows at all, give this one a shot! Most of the featured dishes are Asian or regional Japanese food, but they occasionally feature Western-style items like cheeseburgers, spaghetti and pizza.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

ben liftington posted:

I got some positive feedback about this show from the GCCX thread in Games, so I thought I'd try posting about it here again.
I'll be uploading more episodes of this to Youtube over the next couple weeks. If you like cooking shows at all, give this one a shot! Most of the featured dishes are Asian or regional Japanese food, but they occasionally feature Western-style items like cheeseburgers, spaghetti and pizza.

These sound good, added them to my YouTube "Watch Later" queue to watch when I have a chance. :)

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I'm interested in seeing Arino in anything outside of GCCX, so this was really cool. Thanks for sharing!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://www.shibatabread.com/2014/07/subbed-clips-of-matsumoto-commenting-on.html

Some clips of Matsumoto having a laugh at Hamada's expense regarding his cheating.
Bit of an awkward method to watch this one, but you can easily do it by opening VLC, using Open Network Stream and then dragging the .srt onto the video.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

A friend just told me about First Errand (Hajimete no Otsukai), and I can't seem to find any subbed episodes to download - any of you guys know where I could get some? Sounds great!

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Aurain posted:

you can easily do it by opening VLC, using Open Network Stream

Uhhhhhhhhh gonna need some more help here chief :confused:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

SpazmasterX posted:

Ignore all of that and:

- Download the Youtube link(google around, tons of sites dedicated to this now)
- Download the sub file
- Make sure both have the same file name
- Play

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

ben liftington posted:

Dotchi no Ryori

I remember watching this show at a ramen place near my house a couple of times. Seriously, there's no way anyone can watch an episode without food right in front of them. I feel hungry just watching the first couple of minutes already.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

SpazmasterX posted:

Put the Youtube URL in the dialogue box.

ben liftington
Jul 7, 2004

Here's a few more Dotchi episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Izkx0JqrGc

Tendon (tempura rice bowl) versus kaisendon (seasonal seafood rice bowl).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0ghfcj14hM

Clam chowder versus minestrone. I guess around the time this episode was filmed, soup was considered to be a trendy meal among younger women, so the panel of contestants for this episode are all women. Women who happen to be former idols or pop singers and now have kids. And Kusanagi from SMAP, of course, because it wouldn't be Dotchi without Kusanagi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4bAQmsl0QM

Billed as "Gourmet Koshien", this episode is a battle between menus from Hokkaido and Okinawa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HzEHvikKJs

Tuna versus beef! A whole tuna is caught especially for this episode and pitted against some of the rarest, most in-demand beef in Japan. The actual catching of the tuna is pretty bloody and gruesome, so if blood bothers you this may not be the best episode to watch.

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

The grape wont cut me loose.
Dotchi is pretty cool, thanks for the links.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's been up for a couple of weeks but I only just noticed Team Gaki posted a new Kiki episode (Ham)

http://www.teamgaki.com/kiki-25-ham/

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Help Im Alive posted:

It's been up for a couple of weeks but I only just noticed Team Gaki posted a new Kiki episode (Ham)

http://www.teamgaki.com/kiki-25-ham/

Have they done this years unaired batsugame material yet? I've checked the site and the comments but absolutely not a mention other than it's coming.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Hamada's 50th birthday was last year. To celebrate the GnT group and License broke characters for a moment and read Hamada sincere letters of thanks for being an actual, awesome guy over the years!

I hope you like seeing a drunk, crying Tanaka. There's a lot of that.

Part 1 and Part 2

Matsumoto pussies out, though. Was that real or a gag?

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!

KittenofDoom posted:

Hamada's 50th birthday was last year. To celebrate the GnT group and License broke characters for a moment and read Hamada sincere letters of thanks for being an actual, awesome guy over the years!

I hope you like seeing a drunk, crying Tanaka. There's a lot of that.

Part 1 and Part 2

Matsumoto pussies out, though. Was that real or a gag?

What a cocktease! I didn't read your spoiler! I wanted to hear Matsumoto's letter :(

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

If you guys are jonesing for some more funny Japanese stuff, I recommend you check out the channel BEGIRAGONS on YouTube.

They're all (or most of them) fully subtitled in excellent quality and they're funny as hell. They think up their own games and record episodes and release them on YouTube twice a week.

What they've done so far (links go to the playlists):
  • Hamburger Game:
    The guys are on vacation in LA and decide to rent a car to try out the "Top 10 Hamburger Places" there. They put a "roulette wheel" on their front tire and whoevers name it stops on when they park at the Burger Place has to go in, order the "most popular combo" and eat it all while they drive to the next place. Starts out innocent enough but ends in total chaos.
  • Strip Roulette Convertible Car Game:
    The guys take a trip to Mt Fuji in a convertible car in the middle of winter. Whoever the car roulette stops on has to strip off a piece of clothing.
  • Vending Machine Game:
    Walk home through Tokyo and stop at every vending machine you see. Roll the dice to see how many bottles of what you have to buy and carry with you. I guess I don't have to mention that the players look like pack mules by the end.
  • No sleeping Challenge:
    Megwin gets kidnapped and put into a room with nothing but a window and a chair. He has to stay up for 100 hours. Every hour he has to roll a die to see if he gets something that helps him stay awake or something that will make him fall asleep. Hilarious torture ensues :v:
  • Convenience Store Game: (This playlist is incomplete at the time of me posting this, all the videos can be found from their channel tho)
    Walk home from the train station and stop at every Convenience Store on the way. Roll the dice to see what item you have to buy and eat/drink until you arrive at the next store. They only just released the English subtitled "Directors Cut" version of this, despite it being one of their earliest games. Previously only available in Japanese.
  • Tokyo Train Game: (New series, link goes to the trailer)
    They started this game only today and will be releasing two videos a week (every Tuesday and Friday). Travel the whole Keio Inokashira line station by station. Every station one of 6 cards is drawn, determining the mode of transportation to get to the next station (by train, hitchhiking, walking, army crawling or riding on a kids tricycle). Can Megwin make it to the last station before the trains stop running?

I hope you guys enjoy it at least half as much as I did!

abraxas fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 1, 2014

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

I recommend Tokyo Encounter if you can find it (some subber group should be on livejournal). A pair of voice-actors with good taste, knowledge and ability in games goofing off, joking, having fun. Next pair of episodes coming this month.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

ben liftington posted:

Dotchi stuff!

:fap: I love these, but I wish they had proper subs or there was a :filez: version of them. :sigh:

ShibataBread
Aug 2, 2014
I'm back on subbing GnT stuff while I'm "between jobs."
Here's the latest sub on Gaki members being foodie reporters.
Part 2 to follow soon.
Thanks guys.

http://www.shibatabread.com/2014/08/subbed-gaki-no-tsukai-foodie-report.html

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

ShibataBread posted:

Part 2 to follow soon.
Thanks guys.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh?

Welcome!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

ShibataBread posted:

Part 2 to follow soon.
Thanks guys.

Welcome aboard! I am totally stoked about more subbing work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ShibataBread posted:

Part 2 to follow soon.
Thanks guys.

Hope you find work soon enough, but new Gaki subs are a welcome treat. Thanks for the good stuff.