Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

TinTower posted:

Mind you, that's pretty much so the Ayatollah can claim there's no gays in Iran. Rather weird priorities, if you ask me.

I watched a documentary on it once and some top Imam or something when giving a conference said it doesn't violate religious law because there's nothing against altering the state of something to make it better such as turning flour into bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Iran, like many countries, is an extremely complex place with a huge variety of different individual and organizational motives that may result in unexpected or apparently contradictory social and legal situations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mister Adequate posted:

Iran, like many countries, is an extremely complex place with a huge variety of different individual and organizational motives that may result in unexpected or apparently contradictory social and legal situations.

It's almost like nations are full of people with different views, and aren't caricatures of themselves or something...

This is my local SAR page, based out of Las Vegas. They're not the idiots, but stil...

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 02:47 on May 29, 2014

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Wasabi the J posted:

This is my local SAR page, based out of Las Vegas. They're not the idiots, but stil...

Sounds like some lazy slackers just don't want to have to do their jobs :colbert:

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Though I am kinda curious what the "demon" actually is.

Presuming it wasn't Photoshopped in, of course.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Gen. Ripper posted:

another person

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Knormal posted:

Sounds like some lazy slackers just don't want to have to do their jobs :colbert:

They're 100% volunteer so yeah, they don't wanna take time off of work to drag a half-boiled body out of a spring, and look for the bodies friend who died ten miles going the wrong way.*

*Hypothetically, I don't know if there's been a fatality yet...

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Wasabi the J posted:

They're 100% volunteer so yeah, they don't wanna take time off of work to drag a half-boiled body out of a spring, and look for the bodies friend who died ten miles going the wrong way.*

*Hypothetically, I don't know if there's been a fatality yet...

Not discovering a corpse or two in their spare time is probably fine with them, thanks.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Gen. Ripper posted:

What if...uh... what if the demon sees the picture and doesn't share it?

WHAT HAPPENS THEN?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

WHAT HAPPENS THEN?

They have a few beers and catch up on Game of Thrones.

Except Mephistopheles. Motherfucker read the books and has to tell you everything that's different. What a prick he is.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

WHAT HAPPENS THEN?

His boss rolls up. "Trevor," it says, forked tongue lashing the air like it was a sinner. "What the gently caress is this poo poo, guy? You know the rules. Share, or demon."

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

My feed used to be cool :(

:butt:: Here's some 20 year old statistics off the top of my head. Checkmate, women.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Aphra Bane posted:

:butt:: Here's some 20 year old statistics off the top of my head. Checkmate, women.

The weird hodgepodge of statistics reeks of cherrypicking. For example, the 2011 "group with the largest increase in violent assault cases" one - even if it is true and not just pulled out of his rear end, talking about which group had the largest increase is completely useless without context.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

Lottery of Babylon posted:

The weird hodgepodge of statistics reeks of cherrypicking. For example, the 2011 "group with the largest increase in violent assault cases" one - even if it is true and not just pulled out of his rear end, talking about which group had the largest increase is completely useless without context.

I also love that don throws out the fact that "no woman has ever died of prostate cancer." Thanks brosef, that's quite the revelation you got there! Like I get what he was saying, but his formatting and smug attitude makes him sound like a dipshit.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Pipistrelle posted:

I also love that don throws out the fact that "no woman has ever died of prostate cancer." Thanks brosef, that's quite the revelation you got there! Like I get what he was saying, but his formatting and smug attitude makes him sound like a dipshit.

No man has died of uterine or ovarian cancer either :shrug:

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
This is almost a generically condescending "Wake Up Sheeple! The Media is lying to you!" post.

I guess if you wanted to you could count through the specific strawmen. But some of the things on the right hand side are indeed very relevant: the housing market is something that people should pay attention to, and I wouldn't put it quite on the level of Justin Bieber.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

glowing-fish has a new favorite as of 07:52 on May 29, 2014

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Gen. Ripper posted:

Why is everyone saying Demon? That's clearly a ninja.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Hey, some ninjas wear, like, demon masks if they're into that kinda poo poo.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Mister Adequate posted:

The world is flat, history is over, and I can understand the politics of every country through the lens of the politics in my country with no distortion whatsoever.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Neurion posted:

I'm pretty sure that's more garlic than anyone could eat in a single sitting.

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/40_Clove_Garlic_Chicken

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Dammit, FB Friends List, I thought you were better than this. As my comment asks, has anyone ever been duped by this 'scam', and if so, to what end?

And I would have probably ignored this second one, had it not been posted immediately after the first. The finest, purest slactivism, painted with the broadest brush possible.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

glowing-fish posted:

This is almost a generically condescending "Wake Up Sheeple! The Media is lying to you!" post.

I guess if you wanted to you could count through the specific strawmen. But some of the things on the right hand side are indeed very relevant: the housing market is something that people should pay attention to, and I wouldn't put it quite on the level of Justin Bieber.

Some of that stuff on the left is hilarious.

"How the gently caress do I grow food?! It's impossible!"

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Teach posted:

Dammit, FB Friends List, I thought you were better than this. As my comment asks, has anyone ever been duped by this 'scam', and if so, to what end?

I've had duplicate accounts add me twice recently. Still can't figure out what the point of the 'scam' is.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Some of that stuff on the left is hilarious.

"How the gently caress do I grow food?! It's impossible!"

the news clearly isn't the place to look for life skills. Or at least, not the ONLY place

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

glowing-fish posted:

The right-hand column includes "Whatever subtly perpetuates fear," which on its own should cover 95% of the left-hand column.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Teach posted:

And I would have probably ignored this second one, had it not been posted immediately after the first. The finest, purest slactivism, painted with the broadest brush possible.

I agree, Morlocks and other underground species really deserve to get more attention!

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

cptn_dr posted:

I've had duplicate accounts add me twice recently. Still can't figure out what the point of the 'scam' is.

Lots of times they try and hit up your friends for money by pretending to be you in a hard situation- I guess it's just as easy these days for them to make a new profile with your pictures. I wasn't as careful as I should have been once and got phished for my password- I came back to my computer to find 'myself' deep in a conversation with someone I barely spoke to, telling them I had been stranded overseas and lost my passport/been mugged/etc/had no way to get home and could you please help me by sending money via western union to the tune of nearly a thousand dollars. I popped in long enough to go 'none of those messages are from me, I'm sitting on my rear end at home' and keep my friend from losing that much money before I immediately changed my password.

The best part was that whoever was logged in as me kept trying to take negate what I said about being home and say I really was in the UK, but the jig was up by then.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Okay, sure, I'll bite.

Bing, once again, doing stellar work.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

glowing-fish posted:

Depleted Uranium Bomb Residue?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Atmus posted:

Depleted Uranium Bomb Residue?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depleted_uranium#Contamination_as_a_result_of_the_Afghan_War

It is *a thing*, but the stuff about it spreading via weather patterns is likely crazy talk.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

SybilVimes posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depleted_uranium#Contamination_as_a_result_of_the_Afghan_War

It is *a thing*, but the stuff about it spreading via weather patterns is likely crazy talk.

I know DU is a thing, and can be spread by bombing, but that's a really crummy way of listing it. Especially if you are going to have it be the longest subject.

Also, "Damaged, clunky, aging nuclear reactors". Clunky?

I'm betting by the tone, that they don't advocate building new reactors, and also have no proposals for replacing the power generating capacity of them, either.

Aphtonites
Dec 25, 2012

Sure, Jailbot was broken, but
weren't we all at some point? :(

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

That plane is clearly about to miss.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

I'm just imagining the video as a badly photoshopped cringeworthy experience

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Aphra Bane posted:

The easiest way to shoot down this poo poo and hear the crickets is going "If it came down to it and your partner suddenly became irrationally violent towards you and you were in a hand to hand fight, how many women reading this think they can overpower their boyfriend and subdue them? Alright how about the vice versa for men?"

Like if someone is being pushed around or berated in public by someone who is a threat to them people generally will either help them or at least call it out. It's almost like men aren't really afraid of women unless they pull out a knife or something, even when they're angry, and both men and women know this. Meanwhile women are terrified of men and often suffer serious injury from them and both men and women know this.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Amused to Death posted:

The easiest way to shoot down this poo poo and hear the crickets is going "If it came down to it and your partner suddenly became irrationally violent towards you and you were in a hand to hand fight, how many women reading this think they can overpower their boyfriend and subdue them? Alright how about the vice versa for men?"

Like if someone is being pushed around or berated in public by someone who is a threat to them people generally will either help them or at least call it out. It's almost like men aren't really afraid of women unless they pull out a knife or something, even when they're angry, and both men and women know this. Meanwhile women are terrified of men and often suffer serious injury from them and both men and women know this.

But what about equality :downs:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Atmus posted:

Also, "Damaged, clunky, aging nuclear reactors". Clunky?

I'm betting by the tone, that they don't advocate building new reactors, and also have no proposals for replacing the power generating capacity of them, either.

The proposals are usually for replacing it with solar and wind power. And coal. :ssh:

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I also wonder how much those statistics take this into account, "Rodger hated all the women who did not provide him sex, but he also resented the men he felt had been standing in the way of his conquests, though they were never made aware of this belief. (Many men die of domestic-violence-related murders this way, killed by ex-boyfriends, ex-husbands, and family members of the women in their lives.)" Which, you know, kind of impacts the assumption that the statistics he provided make that all physical injuries to men in domestic disputes come from their female partners.

As cited here.

In addition to that article, I've been sharing this article, and this article in response to lovely comments on FB.

Goosed it. has a new favorite as of 16:39 on May 29, 2014

Ana Lucia Cortez
Mar 22, 2008

Somebody linked this article on Facebook:
http://themindunleashed.org/2014/05/8-beers-stop-drinking-immediately.html

I can't believe they would put chemicals like corn syrup and *gasp* GMOS in the literal poison I drink every night! :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphtonites
Dec 25, 2012

Sure, Jailbot was broken, but
weren't we all at some point? :(

Aphtonites has a new favorite as of 17:25 on May 29, 2014

• Locked thread