Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Not hard at all actually, I was disappointed. It's a long fight though. I'm pretty sure Shield of Justice can even block her 9999 damage Megidolaon.

It can; Really Pants showed it off in his P4G LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Sounds hideously boring. Is there any real reward for doing it? I might just :effort:

You want that Platinum trophy?

At least Margaret is reasonably beatable, to this day I can't be nearly bothered enough to fight Elizabeth/Theo.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Nate RFB posted:

My problem with 3 is that it feels so faked, thematically. It tries so desperately to be Dark And Serious but it comes off as a cheesy, Hot Topic sort of effort. So on top of being so poorly paced, the actual plot descends into essentially nonsense by the end. Combined with the weaker S. Links (most of which you just act as an enabler), it feels very much like a "proof of concept" game which would get a lot of kinks ironed out by P4.

This is probably a better summary of what I was trying to get across.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
:allears: THERE IS TRIVIA??? :allears:

A lot of that bonus content listed is pretty well done. I am impressed it is voice acted.

*EDIT* A few questions i am unclear of:

- Why did our hero go to Inaba in the first place for a year?
- What is the goal of the Nose/Margret in the Velvet room? They were using you to clear their world of fog, but to what end? They are going somewhere.
- Why did they take in Marie, full well knowing what she was?
- During the game on the school trip, you are told a story about Izanagi, and i think the final boss. So our brave hero is the one who was disgusted by his love, that he sealed her in the underworld? That is pretty cruel.
- Why does Dojima/Nanako just seem to completely ignore what the MC is really doing? Nobody questions the fact that the MC keeps dumping barely alive people on the floor of the electronics department at Junes.
- The MC really doesn't love anyone does he? In all the cutscenes, he never shows any emotion.

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 29, 2014

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

UberJumper posted:

A lot of that bonus content listed is pretty well done. I am impressed it is voice acted.

- Why did our hero go to Inaba in the first place for a year?
- What is the goal of the Nose/Margret in the Velvet room? They were using you to clear their world of fog, but to what end? They are going somewhere.
- Why did they take in Marie, full well knowing what she was?
- During the game on the school trip, you are told a story about Izanagi, and i think the final boss. So our brave hero is the one who was disgusted by his love, that he sealed her in the underworld? That is pretty cruel.
- Why does Dojima/Nanako just seem to completely ignore what the MC is really doing? Nobody questions the fact that the MC keeps dumping barely alive people on the floor of the electronics department at Junes.
- The MC really doesn't love anyone does he? In all the cutscenes, he never shows any emotion.

1. MC went to Inaba because of his parents jobs.
2. Igor's job is to help guard the world from Nyarlathotep which arguably causes everything bad to happen in the games. Igor does it on behalf of his boss Philemon who is the one trying to protect the world. You know that butterfly you see at save points and such? That's him watching over you.
3. Because Marie was the good half and I dunno it's hard to tell what Igor is thinking.
4. No well sorta, it wasn't the MC exactly but Izanagi did do that. Gods in mythology are dicks after all.
5. Dojima is actually really suspicious of you during the entire time and it's hinted that he might have thought you were the culprit. As for Nanako she's just a little kid and innocent as you saw in her dungeon.
6. Nah the MC just has a weird sense of humor, he's just chill.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

He doesn't show emotion because he's the blank slate protagonist. He's you.

In a way it's impressive how little attention you've been paying. :raise: The reason the main character is in Inaba is explained in the first cutscene and referenced a few other times, for example.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Manatee Cannon posted:

In a way it's impressive how little attention you've been paying. :raise: The reason the main character is in Inaba is explained in the first cutscene and referenced a few other times, for example.

I like you protagonist. Do you like me too?

>You're my friend
>I like you too

Hmm, which of these will result in us not entering a relationship...

>I like you too

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

UberJumper posted:

The MCs dominant persona is Izanagi, the MC is not literally Izanagi.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Tribladeofchaos posted:

1. MC went to Inaba because of his parents jobs.
2. Igor's job is to help guard the world from Nyarlathotep which arguably causes everything bad to happen in the games. Igor does it on behalf of his boss Philemon who is the one trying to protect the world. You know that butterfly you see at save points and such? That's him watching over you.
3. Because Marie was the good half and I dunno it's hard to tell what Igor is thinking.
4. No well sorta, it wasn't the MC exactly but Izanagi did do that. Gods in mythology are dicks after all.
5. Dojima is actually really suspicious of you during the entire time and it's hinted that he might have thought you were the culprit. As for Nanako she's just a little kid and innocent as you saw in her dungeon.
6. Nah the MC just has a weird sense of humor, he's just chill.

1. Sorry i should have explained this better. But what is his parents jobs? I find it extremely weird they are never mentioned aside from a few references by Dojima. They never call you ether :smith:
2. Thats actually really interesting, thanks.
4. But aren't persona's supposed to be a manifestation of your personality and are unique that specific person? Or is it just cause our MC is zero?
5. I know he was suspicious, i am more referring to the fact that he brings back: Yukiko, Rise, Kanji, Nanoto who are all missing. Then suddenly they are all hanging out with the MC. He even brings back a kidnapped Nanaoko, and he never really goes beyond laughing at the MC's crazy stories.

Manatee Cannon posted:

He doesn't show emotion because he's the blank slate protagonist. He's you.

The first play through took 70 hours, so a lot of it is hazy.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

I like you protagonist. Do you like me too?

>You're my friend
>I like you too

Hmm, which of these will result in us not entering a relationship...

>I like you too

I expected there to be something between "I like you too" and "I LOVE YOU MC FOR EVER AND EVER"

VVV Thanks. That makes sense.

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 29, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, it's implied that the MC has a lot in common with Izanagi, but he's not his reincarnation or anything. A persona is a mythological or historical figure that has a similar state of mind to you, that shares traits with you - for instance, Naoto's persona is a male historical figure whose most famous adventure involves crossdressing. It's not a reincarnation thing, just an 'you have aspects of them' thing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

UberJumper posted:

5. I know he was suspicious, i am more referring to the fact that he brings back: Yukiko, Rise, Kanji, Nanoto who are all missing. Then suddenly they are all hanging out with the MC. He even brings back a kidnapped Nanaoko, and he never really goes beyond laughing at the MC's crazy stories.

Due to the supernatural nature of things, Dojima can't make anything stick to you. He also can't prove those disappearances are connected in any way to the murders. Without any proof, he can't really do or say anything.

And actually, after Nanako is rescued Dojima never directly refutes anything about the TV World or whatnot. He kind of just writes it off as beyond him in the only scene he directly addresses it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Due to the supernatural nature of things, Dojima can't make anything stick to you. He also can't prove those disappearances are connected in any way to the murders. Without any proof, he can't really do or say anything.

And actually, after Nanako is rescued Dojima never directly refutes anything about the TV World or whatnot. He kind of just writes it off as beyond him in the only scene he directly addresses it.

If the P4A manga is considered canon, then Dojima seems to believe it well enough to inform Detective Kurosawa about it.

Also Personas are a reflection of the user's inner psyche, and that can change over time, as evidenced by your party maxing out Social Links, or things like Naoto's novel.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nothing outside the games is canon. The is true in pretty much everything from movies to books.

edit: Until it gets referenced by the game, anyway. Like the delivery girl.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 29, 2014

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Though that part is in the game as well.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

ApplesandOranges posted:

things like Naoto's novel.

Please don't cite this as an example. People might discover it exists and they might try to read it. :ohdear:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

UberJumper posted:

1. Sorry i should have explained this better. But what is his parents jobs? I find it extremely weird they are never mentioned aside from a few references by Dojima. They never call you ether :smith:
4. But aren't persona's supposed to be a manifestation of your personality and are unique that specific person? Or is it just cause our MC is zero?

I don't remember where or when but it's said his parents got an overseas job somewhere for a year.
Also, Izanagi is his persona because that god went to hell (literal hell/tv world) to save somebody (a victim/his wife) that turned out to be disgusting (his spiteful, disturbing wife/the shadow of the victim). Contrary to Izanagi, however, MC doesn't shun the person but brings them back. This is somewhat similar to Persona 3's protagonist, whose persona is Orpheus, who also went to the underworld and came back. Maybe Persona 5 will continue this tradition. For example, the Roman mythological hero Aeneas also went to hell and back, so after the Greek and the Japanese pantheons, they might roll with Roman for persona 5.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

UberJumper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0XWOYTcBik

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

UberJumper posted:

Quick! What class of river is the Samegawa?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Was this already posted?

http://shoryuken.com/2014/05/28/persona-4-the-ultimax-ultra-suplex-hold-premium-newcomer-package-includes-story-mode-from-persona-4-arena/

quote:

For those interested in picking up Persona 4 Arena The Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold but who haven’t quite caught up with its predecessor, here’s some great news for you. Famitsu recently revealed that Arc System Work’s is preparing a special “Premium Newcomer Package” that will include both the game and bundled downloadable content that includes a bunch of stuff from the first game – including the story mode.

The items featured in the Premium Newcomer Package are as follows:

Story mode from the first game, Persona 4 Arena
Glasses set for all characters
Additional set of 12 BGM tracks:
- Three from Persona 3
- Five from Persona 4
- Four from Persona 4 Golden
Navigator voice tryout set with Teddie and Mitsuru

These will also be available for purchase separately sometime after the game is released.

Having never played Arena, mostly due to the region locking shenanigans, I am extremely happy with this.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

That is amazing, now i want to watch the anime :allears:

Also i didn't think it was possible to make Rise sound more irritating.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I've noticed something in dungeons as I've been exploring them, sometimes I can hear what sounds like chains rattling in the background, its not part of the music and only happens on certain dungeon floors, so I'm not sure what's going on, is it a hidden monster or something?

Also, I'm progressing well in the story, I've just finished the amusing hot springs scene and its now November, not much happening at the moment plot wise, which gives me more time to work on the last few social links I'm interested in.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, it's the game's super-boss, the Reaper. Though he's not *that* hard.

If you hear the chains rattling, don't open any chests or you'll spawn the Reaper.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well, you'll have a chance to spawn a reaper. And you'll be prompted as to whether you want to fight him or not, so you could just say "No".

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Judge Tesla posted:

its now November, not much happening at the moment plot wise

:getin:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Well, you'll have a chance to spawn a reaper. And you'll be prompted as to whether you want to fight him or not, so you could just say "No".

And then you do fight him, realize his drops aren't fixed (he might not drop anything at all) and gives gently caress all experience and then just ignore him forever. It's not like weapons matter anyway. Though I did get lucky in ng+ and he dropped his armor, which let me get +25 in every stat for Naoto thanks to Algernon. Maybe not the best way to about it but it is amusing to see.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah the reaper is largely pointless this time around. At best I think you get a trophy for beating him?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Good lord I'm doing Rises Slink and well its been a while so I forgot a lot. All I can say is gently caress off Inoue. The emotional manipulation going on here is skeeving me way the gently caress out even as someone who doesn't like Rise. I wish there was an option to tell her not to go back into that creepy corrosive industry.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Inoue's an rear end in a top hat and I just felt bad for Rise by the end of the link. Yukiko's follows a similar path but is infinitely better.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

Inoue's an rear end in a top hat and I just felt bad for Rise by the end of the link. Yukiko's follows a similar path but is infinitely better.

Yeah I mean at least Yukiko's has a legitimate message. She is by no means going back to a bad environment, she's learning to appreciate a wonderful little community who legitimately love her. And there's nothing saying she has to manage the Inn forever or whatever!

Meanwhile with Rise you get to watch her get played by a fiddle by a manipulative rear end in a top hat into returning into an exploitative and super, super creepy industry. Yaaaaay. :shepicide:

So what I'm saying is it's like a Persona 3 S-Link.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Iunno, the impression I got is that while that dude was kind of a creep the idol industry is something Rise legitimately enjoys, warts and all.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Endorph posted:

Iunno, the impression I got is that while that dude was kind of a creep the idol industry is something Rise legitimately enjoys, warts and all.

Same, though I didn't get the creepy vibes from Inoue. He seemed like he had accepted Rise's retirement on some level and was going through the re-recruitment as a formality, or as simply a part of his job as an agent.

I dunno, that's just me.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Same, though I didn't get the creepy vibes from Inoue. He seemed like he had accepted Rise's retirement on some level and was going through the re-recruitment as a formality, or as simply a part of his job as an agent.

I dunno, that's just me.

You need to rewatch 7 to 8 if that's what you think. Dude is out and out pulling her strings deliberately.

gently caress Inoue seriously.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

You need to rewatch 7 to 8 if that's what you think. Dude is out and out pulling her strings deliberately.

gently caress Inoue seriously.

Looking back, yeah, you're right.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Besides, even if she likes it you see when you meet her where it's heading.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yes that is definitely 100% in keeping with the tone of the rest of the game

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Really Pants posted:

Yes that is definitely 100% in keeping with the tone of the rest of the game

Obviously the game wants me to believe Rise lives happily ever after, and sure I'll just suspend my disbelief because this is Persona.

Doesn't mean my knowledge of Japanese idols and Inoue's behavior doesn't make me wish I wasn't "but thou must"d into treating this as an unequivocally good outcome. gently caress dat.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The fact that the idol industry is awful in real life is irrelevant in this game.

It's like being suspicious of Daniel in Parasite Eve because the NYPD in real life is corrupt as gently caress.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It doesn't really matter what the game intends if it doesn't actually come off that way. Of course Rise is going to go on to be the best idol ever and live a perfect life as soon as she stops being a character in the games, but Persona 4 does a really terrible job of selling that. I don't know anything about idol culture in Japan but Inoue still comes off as a lovely person.

That's just how the game is written.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Yeah the idol industry in no way comes out smelling like roses in Persona 4, it just isn't as obviously terrible as it actually is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Personally I worry about the way Kanji is obviously shaping up to be some kind of knitting motorcycle murderer.

• Locked thread