Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
I'd like to hope this is some sort of test for interest of DQ in North America again, and maybe theres already some localization for DQ7 in the works.

I'm most likely going to pick this up since I have a long commute and have been wanting to replay 8 for a while but just dont have the time, and pulling out my PS2 is just a hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Fancy Hat! posted:

I'd like to hope this is some sort of test for interest of DQ in North America again, and maybe theres already some localization for DQ7 in the works.

See, I'd think that, but didn't the last DQ game (DQ... 9?) sell reasonably well in America? Hasn't DQ as a series done pretty well in the US for years? I don't think Japanese game companies follow normal business models/practices and just try to scorn the West as much as they can for reasons that are beyond me.

But maybe I'm bitter because of Capcom and Koei-Tecmo and Sqeenix doing what they do.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

I try to follow the logic that DQ games are normally released in the US about a year after its Japan release. And considering DQ7 is considerably larger text-wise than most games it would take a little longer to localize, so it's just about due for an announcement. After all Bravely Default too about a year and change to get released. And Squarenix has seemed a ltitle more intune to tradition RPGs after BD's relative success in America.

This may just be desperate fan ramblings, though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The big thing with S-E and Nintendo is that they've fallen into the habit of sitting on their hands until Nintendo offers to localise/promote their games for them, but I don't think the other games Nintendo picked up after DQ9 (DQ6, DQM2, Itadaki Street) did very well, so I guess that'd explain why they haven't bothered with any of the 3DS games. (There was a rumour that it was a tossup between localising DQ7 or BD, but who knows if that was true or not.)

Their recent financial briefing dealio did state that they're thinking about releasing DQX overseas, but I think that was in reference to Asia and not western markets.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The big thing with S-E and Nintendo is that they've fallen into the habit of sitting on their hands until Nintendo offers to localise/promote their games for them, but I don't think the other games Nintendo picked up after DQ9 (DQ6, DQM2, Itadaki Street) did very well, so I guess that'd explain why they haven't bothered with any of the 3DS games. (There was a rumour that it was a tossup between localising DQ7 or BD, but who knows if that was true or not.)

Their recent financial briefing dealio did state that they're thinking about releasing DQX overseas, but I think that was in reference to Asia and not western markets.
I like how I've literally never heard of one of those three (dear god please don't be letting them gauge whether or not I want DQ games by some Monopoly ripoff) and had no idea that DQM2 actually came out in America. Hell, when I thought of DQM2 I thought of Terry's Wonderland or whatever the remake was called, which we didn't get.

I just want to give them my money! They make it so hard :(

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
Itadaki Street was a non-starter on PS over here.
George at the long-gone Enix USA wanted me to localize it, but Sony USA took one look and refused to give approval saying it would never sell.

I offered to do it for cheap, too. The same way I did for the PS Torneko so it'd get released overseas.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004

Pablo Gigante posted:

Apparently the iOS port has MIDI music like the original Japanese release instead of the orchestral music from the American release. And no voice acting. And it's portrait only which is just bizarre to me, though I think it's really common with Japanese mobile games for some reason.

Meh, I actually prefer the MIDI. The orchestral music really started to grate on my ears after hours and hours of it. Portrait only is great for playing one-handed, meaning it'll be my "what to play while pooping" for the next 2-3 years.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Itadaki Street was a non-starter on PS over here.
George at the long-gone Enix USA wanted me to localize it, but Sony USA took one look and refused to give approval saying it would never sell.

I offered to do it for cheap, too. The same way I did for the PS Torneko so it'd get released overseas.

My friend and I had a ton of fun with the DS version, even though neither of us knew any Japanese. Once we'd memorised the menus, all you needed to pay attention to were numbers.

However, what did trip us up was the chance board. Unless we remembered what each reward actually meant, it would prompt us to pick one of our properties, and we'd hope that it was to upgrade it teleport to it, instead of selling it.

It's great that the Wii version got a release. I'd like to see one with Final Fantasy in English as well.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I worked at Gamestop when Fortune Street came out and I had no loving idea what I was looking at. I opened the crate and saw some hideous Photoshop mess with characters from seemingly random Nintendo franchises. I hadn't heard of Itagaki Street so I thought someone had somehow done a bootleg in this day and age. The cover really does look like one of those "Sanic Hejhog 4 on Nintendo" carts you'll come upon once in a while.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It's kinda bullshit that even after a lot of people bought Bravely Default, they might be doing a specific test for Dragon Quest's audience. How different are the two, really?

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 29, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

It's kinda bullshit that even after a lot of people bought Bravely Default, they might be doing a specific test for Dragon Quest's audience. 7 even also has a job system.

Dragon Quest has never had the audience of Final Fantasy here and even without the specific name Bravely Default was effectively catering to that audience. "It has a Job System" matters less than "It hits the Final Fantasy nostalgia."

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Eh, yeah, that's fair. It's just kinda frustrating having such a small impact on something you really want.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
They are fools for not planning on localizing DQM2 here. I've gotten more play out of that game (300 hours or so) than probably the combined sum of all other non-Monster Hunter series games on the 3DS since its release. The competitive multi-player features are way better than any Pokemon has ever been, and it takes quite a while to get through both parts of the main story as well.

Then again, I also played the free Dragon Quest web game for what amounts to probably 30 or more hours, so I am possibly too Dragon Quest fan boy. Most of playing that was just to get bonus maps for DQM2, in my defense.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 09:22 on May 29, 2014

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dragon Quest VIII has been spotted on the iOS App Store in New Zealand. It's not available yet, but it is listed. It appears to be using the same translation as the PS2 release, but without voice acting, and with the original synthesized soundtrack rather than the orchestrated one. Cost is NZ$25, but will likely be cheaper in other regions because "gently caress New Zealand" is just the way game companies do business.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

And it's now up in the US App Store for $19.99!

The touch interface seems a tad cumbersome for my ipad, and it seems built with the iphone5 in mind, since they are way stressing that it can be played with one hand, because I guess that's how they like their phone games in Japan!

So I'll have to clear some space on my phone, its nearly a gig and a half! If there's anyone with a trip report, I'd like to hear how it plays on both an iphone/ipad.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
If you can't hear Yangus' oath "Cor blimey" what's the point.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Crimson Harvest posted:

It means you can't hear Annoyed Scullery Maid Jessica either so it's a fair trade.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Crimson Harvest posted:

DQ8 without this isn't DQ8. :colbert:

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Luceo posted:

DQ8 without this isn't DQ8. :colbert:

Can't help but hear it in my head, though.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I went looking for impressions of the DQVIII port. A summary of my findings:

It only runs in portrait orientation, which is probably not that hard to get used to, with a sensible UI that is more optimized for phone-sized devices that can be held in one hand. It uses the synthesized soundtrack of the original Japanese release rather than the orchestrated soundtrack of the US PS2 version, and while it uses the PS2 localization it does not feature voice acting. Load times are noticeable, and the app has a long startup time. I've encountered complaints about the framerate of the Android version of all power levels, but only relating to older iOS devices; nevertheless it seems you shouldn't expect it to run more smoothly than the PS2 version.

No content has been cut or added, and the graphical assets themselves are unchanged, so while it's a bare-bones port with some performance issues, it's still Dragon Quest VIII portably for less than you can expect to pay for the original version.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Bongo Bill posted:

I went looking for impressions of the DQVIII port. A summary of my findings:

I agree. I've put an hour into it, and while the framerate was sluggish at first, I've stopped noticing. Controls work fairly well, especially if you use the auto-run, but camera is a bit of a bastard in towns.

It's great, though - I think I might finally finish this game, over the course of the next year!

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/476819635132956672

@Michael_Simonds @jasonschreier I asked Reggie Fils-Aime about DQ7 and X coming to NA yesterday. Nothing to announce. But he loves DQ. Sorry

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Can't they just trick him into announcing them like they did with Fire Emblem?

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
Well, Looks like I'll be ordering a PS1 copy of Dragon Warrior VII.

It's all I'm missing now to have DQ1-9. I was hoping I could get the 3DS version of 7 because of all the improvements. I will just have to bite the bullet to have a 'complete' collection.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

There wasnt alot of 3DS talk this week, with the emphasis being on WiiU games, so, going to try to hold out for a bigger announcement in an upcoming direct. Maybe. It hurts!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Announcing something like that a week after E3 just for the hell of it is definitely something they'd do, but would Square-Enix play along?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Siliconera reports that Dragon Quest XI is in development for an unspecified home console.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Siliconera reports that Dragon Quest XI is in development for an unspecified home console.

"Expect a port in 2029 for NA."

LordAndrew
Jul 13, 2009

Walking death machine equipped with the knowledge of Nuclear.
For all we know, they could consider iOS and Android devices to be home consoles now.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

LordAndrew posted:

For all we know, they could consider iOS and Android devices to be home consoles now.

quote:

He reiterated his previous statement that it is not being for mobile devices, but he also added that it’s also not being made for handheld consoles, but they’re currently developing it for the home console.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
Can someone explain to me why DQ7 is so revered? I have the 3DS version, and sure, the self contained islands and stories are fun, but the battle system and backtracking are just boring and tedious.

LordAndrew
Jul 13, 2009

Walking death machine equipped with the knowledge of Nuclear.

Oh, whoops. I guess I should have actually read the article.

Teddles posted:

Can someone explain to me why DQ7 is so revered? I have the 3DS version, and sure, the self contained islands and stories are fun, but the battle system and backtracking are just boring and tedious.

At least for me, Dragon Quest VII was the first one I played, so it has a special place in my heart. I really liked the general atmosphere of the game, but I never got very far (because I was bad at RPGs at the time) so I'd love to be able to play it again. Unfortunately, if I wanted to do that currently I'd either have to track down a working copy of the game for PS1 (which is ridiculously expensive) or learn how to speak Japanese and import both the game and a Japanese 3DS.

LordAndrew fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 13, 2014

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Captain Mog posted:

"Expect a port in 2029 for NA."

So soon?? :swoon:

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Teddles posted:

Mostly I'd just like any sort of nod to Dragon Quest fans in the west. Also I've picked up the PS1 Version of VII, and after a couple hours I'd rather wait for a graphical/gameplay update, if possible.

FUN FACT: Outside of DQ8 on iOS there hasn't been a localized Dragon Quest release in nearly 3 years.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Fancy Hat! posted:

FUN FACT: Outside of DQ8 on iOS there hasn't been a localized Dragon Quest release in nearly 3 years.

And there hasn't been an offline main entry for the series for 5 years... in Japan. How is that a fun fact? They don't just poo poo these games out.

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

Teddles posted:

Its less DQ7 and more that NONE of the dragon quest titles on the 3DS have been brought over, like 6 different games. Also the DQ7 port was modernized and has way less filler.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Teddles posted:

Because it's a huge game with an interesting storyline and a very unique world-building gimmick. At the time that it came out, RPGs were all about stupid angsty dipshit characters and lovely attempts at writing really deep storylines so DQ7 was refreshingly light and upbeat compared to that garbage. I can agree that the backtracking gets old, but the battle system is really good if you like turn-based party RPG's with random battles.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
Well I was able to get a decently cheap copy of the PS1 VII. So I now own 1-9.

It's time to :getin: with DQ!

I have never actually beaten 2 or 7. And as I believe I've mentioned before I've never even played 3 or 8.
It might take a little bit, but I plan on righting these misdeeds. I am become the Dragon Quester.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Currently working my way through this thread that I didn't realise existed until about two weeks ago. I played a bit of that Nestalgia game on Steam, and it put me in the mood to play the old Dragon Warrior games from the NES. I know that numerous remakes exist for them, but I wanted the old-school (read: grindy, poorly-balanced) experience.

I know that, objectively, Dragon Warrior I is a boring grindfest with very little actual content. Nevertheless, I kind of enjoyed it. The thing is that, unless you wander into an area with monsters that are too tough (loving Demon Knights), it's a predictable, simple type of grind. Once I hit about level 17 and got Healmore and the Erdrick Armour, I could get a level every 45 minutes or so. That said, whoever decided that the Sleep spell *always* works on your character for at least one round deserves to be torn apart by angry wyverns. I died 5 times in that game: twice to those bloody demon knights (they look like shadow skeletons) and thrice to Axe Knights, including the one that guards the best armour, because they would put me to sleep and beat me to death before I could respond. Still had fun, though I couldn't say quite why. What I also found interesting was that, given how the game calculates incoming melee damage, each level causes you to take drastically less damage from certain monsters... without upgrading your gear and drastically less so than getting 4 more points in Agility or whatever. Axe knights owned me until I hit about level 22 or so, then they started hitting for 6 damage a pop. Armored Knights, who only show up deep in the final dungeon, tore me apart until I hit level 30, and then they started hitting single digits again. By the time I hit level 30 and went to fight the boss (who has trivial), the only mob in the game that could really harm me were red dragons. I know that you are meant to beat the game at about level 20, but I wanted to see how things evolved as I reached the cap. One thing DW1 could have really used, though, is a rebalancing of heal/hurt spells. Both are great when you first get them, but by level 7 Hurt does no more damage than a melee attack and by about level 10 Heal doesn't heal enough. It takes a long time to get to 17 for Healmore, which is a game-changing spell. That game would have been better off if they had had Heal/Healmore/Healmost, and the same with Hurt, all properly balanced and assigned to the right experience level.

I'm getting towards the end of Dragon Warrior II now and, to be honest, it kind of sucks. My biggest complaint is the poor balance. The main character is a no-spell-having meatshield who hits one enemy at a time, and quite hard, but despite having the best armour he gets his rear end kicked just as badly by mobs as my other two. The Princess is useless in melee, which I could live with but her best spell, Explodet, is easily resisted. Cannock, though, is just rubbish. His Str growth is incredibly tepid and, because they don't let him use any decent weapons, he does no damage in melee. Most of my fights in the snowy valley near the final dungeon involve him spamming Defeat and hoping that it works on something. So many fights now involve pure luck, and I frequently get annihilated because all 4 mobs resist Defeat and Explodet, then I lose a character or two to Defeat from a Blizzard mob and a giant does a "heroic" (read: instant death) blow to another of my toons. Good thing that there is that shrine there where you can heal, restore MP, and bring back the dead for free, or it would be intolerable. I never played DW2 as a lad (1 & 3 only here) and have heard a lot about it, much not very positive - now I'm really seeing what a poorly designed game it is in some ways. I'm trying to get myself to finish it up so that I can move on to the splendid and better-balanced DWIII, but it's hard to stay motivated. Someday, I really need to play the translated Famicom version of 2 - I fancy that it's much better.

Fake Edit: I know that they made NA versions of DQ I/II and III for the GBC (I even have III on GBC), but I think that they look like arse and have a tiny view area, so I don't really like them. I actually like the NES graphics for the Dragon Warrior games, as odd as that sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

Fake Edit: I know that they made NA versions of DQ I/II and III for the GBC (I even have III on GBC), but I think that they look like arse and have a tiny view area, so I don't really like them. I actually like the NES graphics for the Dragon Warrior games, as odd as that sounds.

Really? I LOVE how the GBC games look.