Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

PierreTheMime posted:

Took better pictures (with cleaned up bases and drilled barrels):

Fuegen, I totally stole your eye lens painting method of dotting the corners with white. It makes them look so much better, my god, why did I never do it before?

Also, regarding the :siren:goon project:siren:, if you need someone to rewrite the entire Tyranid codex let me know. I'm still going to play the hell out of 7th Edition, but I always enjoy contributing to these types of things.

Your stupid ugly salamanders have dumb impeccable lustruous tasty armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I'll have the HOUSE RULES thread up in a few...

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I'll have the HOUSE RULES thread up in a few...

You can either borrow from mine or give me content.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3638428&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post430272047

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Infinite Karma posted:

Combat Doctrines
Through discipline and training, your army's leaders have tamed the chaos of battle.

Steady Leadership - 25 pts: Instead of rolling, your Warlord can choose which Warlord Trait he wants from any table he could ordinarily roll on. If your Warlord has a pre-determined Warlord Trait, he can pick a new one instead.

Psychic Mastery - 25/50 pts: One Psyker in your army can become your Master Psyker. Instead of rolling, your Master Psyker can choose his powers from the Psychic Discplines available to him. For 25 points, he can choose his first power instead of rolling randomly (the remainder of his powers are randomly generated as normal). For 50 points, he can choose all of his powers instead of rolling. If your Master Psyker generates powers during play, or with nonstandard rules, this ability allows him to choose which powers he knows within a Discipline, but not which Disciplines he can access at any particular time.

Counter-Intelligence - 25 pts: After armies are deployed and objectives are determined (including starting tactical objectives), and before the first game turn, your Warlord can choose to swap the locations of two numbered Objective Markers. If multiple Warlords have this ability, resolve them in the same order as player turns (i.e. the player going first swaps objectives, then the player going second swaps them). A pair of objectives that were swapped can't be swapped back, but one of the pair can be exchanged for another unaltered objective.

Coordinated Assault - 25/50 pts: One of your units (or formations that deploy together) in Reserves can Coordinate their deployment. For 25 points, you can choose which turn they arrive on (including turn 1), without the need for a Reserve roll. For 50 points, you they can also arrive in the location you choose - if they Outflank, they do so from the table edge of your choice (even the opponent's own table edge); if they Deep Strike, they do so without scattering.

These are cool, but Psychic Mastery is too powerful IMO. It also makes the characters that can actually pick their powers less cool.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

If Dakka, Warseer and Reddit werent so scared of litigation that they could discuss the rules, I would love to see the community at large crowdsource and playtest a completely alternate set of rules.

poo poo... We could do it here. Appoint a committee of Fluff/'Ard players as the final say and spitball until we had something balanced and fun...

Then we could all get a second mortgage on our homes to pay for the impending legal fees...

I get what you're saying and a goon 'house rule league' would be neat. That said, gently caress this poo poo man, you shouldn't need to house rules a system after spending 100 smackers on it. You expect an out of box quality product.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

poo poo. I just posted mine. I'll close it, steal what you want from here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3638438

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

JerryLee posted:

This could possibly work but you'd also want to rewrite the disciplines so that they all had six good powers (or the same number of good powers, at least). Otherwise you make a discipline with 2-3 good powers really lovely compared to one with 5-6.

Honestly, the Primaris should've been say, one free static pick on the psychic table, and then you roll on the rest or something. Having the Primaris be a specific power that was wildly imbalanced between disciplines was just asking for trouble. Like, even a competent game company would have to really think hard, as the primaris would basically define that discipline.

For Gamesworkshop it'd be yet another variable for them to gently caress up.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
So I just got the new 40k rulebook (plus ads) and it seems like Wave Serpents and Taudar have been significantly nerfed, which makes me feel bad as a player with Tau and Eldar armies but I realize they were overpowered previously.

Wave Serpents are still good though, right? Just not, like, "best tank in the game" good?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

Warhammer: Blue Shell Edition.

This reminds me of a really cool Tau Railgun speederbike conversion I saw a while back

Tuxedo Jack posted:

The cards remove any strategy you would normally take from turn to turn in a mission, and the game becomes "Simon Says" based on the cards, rewards irreverent unit behavior over a cohesive strategy.

To me, the cards make 40k feel like an FPS game. It seems like the cards are there to act like orders from an armchair general over a radio like in games like CoD, shouting out stuff like "Ramirez, shoot down that chopper!", "Ramirez, kill the enemy leader" and "Ramirez, take objective Bravo" and we all know who CoD's target audience is :v:

Lord Of Texas posted:

I don't mean to be a dick, but when your examples include sinkholes (!!!) and the entire unit spraining their ankles simultaneously, I think it's fair to assess that you are rationalizing, not supporting your point.

In the grim darkness of the far future, genetically-modified superhumans and millenia-old robots need to be conscious of muscle tearing.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

If we get mod approval, would anyone be interested in a thread for a 40k House Rules Edition?
:frogon:

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Apollodorus posted:

So I just got the new 40k rulebook (plus ads) and it seems like Wave Serpents and Taudar have been significantly nerfed, which makes me feel bad as a player with Tau and Eldar armies but I realize they were overpowered previously.

Wave Serpents are still good though, right? Just not, like, "best tank in the game" good?

How were wave serpents nerfed?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Jink makes them snap shoot things the next turn not that terrible seriously.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Direwolf posted:

No more free 5+ cover save just for moving a Skimmer. Jink is now a thing you have to elect before your opponent starts rolling to-hit, in the same vein as FMCs "diving" or whatever it's called. Also I think after you Jink you have to snap fire everything for the next turn? Wave Serpents are still really good though, they got knocked back because of the change to Jink but they got bumped up because of the change to the vehicle pen chart.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 29, 2014

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Direwolf posted:

They weren't outright nerfed. Jink works like this from what I understand.

Your enemy fires at a Wave Serpent (or anything with Jink). You, the defender, declare whether or not you are Jink-ing. If you do, you get a 4+ cover save and on your next turn you fire snap shots.

What makes it not a strict nerf is that Jink is 4+, not 5+, so Serpents with Holo-fields save on a 3+ now when jinking. Secondly, the snap shots occur on your next turn, not your prior turn, delaying the penalty to where it might not matter at all anyway. Thirdly, a lot of things that prey on Wave Serpents ignore cover anyway.

I would say they are worse overall, but they are still so goddamn cheap and resilient for what they bring, Wave Serpents are not going away. 12/12/10, 3 HP, and nullify pens on a 2+ (with the option of 3+ cover) is drat resilient for 145 points.

Lord Of Texas fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 29, 2014

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought the whole difficult terrain thing was justified by "let's be cautious in these woods because enemies might be near" and not "let's not sprain anything".

Eh, either way the game is about calculated risks. Some of the stuff can be too random, but for the most part it works.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

LordAba posted:

I thought the whole difficult terrain thing was justified by "let's be cautious in these woods because enemies might be near" and not "let's not sprain anything".

That might work for "running" (though in that case it should be called something else at that point, like "extra move" or "double advance") but not so much for charging into melee combat, really.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

LordAba posted:

Eh, either way the game is about calculated risks. Some of the stuff can be too random, but for the most part it works.

Alright, alright, so it was a lame example.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
So I'm not just blind? We can really place barrage blasts on the bottom floor of a multi-level piece of terrain now?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

adamantium|wang posted:

So I'm not just blind? We can really place barrage blasts on the bottom floor of a multi-level piece of terrain now?

Delayed blast fuses are a thing so why not.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah I don't think it's meant to be a realistic game, I forget I think it was last thread someone posted a old I think Inferno that had "real world" stats on a Leman Russ and it drive like 4 miles an hour.

In my dream world Forgeworld produces an art book with cutaway sectional views of Vehicles like Star Wars and Star Trek had. With real mathematical relevant stats so that I can be satisfied.

Oh and those books are cool.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Lord Of Texas posted:

I would say they are worse overall, but they are still so goddamn cheap and resilient for what they bring, Wave Serpents are not going away. 12/12/10, 3 HP, and nullify pens on a 2+ (with the option of 3+ cover) is drat resilient for 145 points.

So still better choice points/$$ value than a Falcon, right?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Eldar can pretty much win every game if you use the Objective cards, because 2/3rd are " Control X" objective. I just watched a game with Eldar and it was some ridiculously crazy thing like getting 5 VP in a single turn on the first turn before the opponent went.

They need to fix that stuff, it should be Control at the end of Game Turn not players turn.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
...and here I had hope the new objective cards would be cool and balanced

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

If you had like 1 a turn or 2 a turn it'd be fine, trying them out with Necrons I've lost every game, I can't keep up to slow. Played a game where I lost by 12, just nothing you can do.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Played my first game of 7th tonight with Direwolf. Had a ton of fun. We decided to do an all-infantry battle, so I had :

1400ish points of Imperial Guard
CCS w/ all 3 advisors
2 Primaris
2 Commissars
2 platoons as follows-
PCS w/ 4 plasmas
2 Infantry squads with flamers
Special Wepons squad w/ grenade launchers
Autocannon squad
Missile launcher squad
2 melta vets w/ demolitions

He had:
1400ish points of chaos marines and demons
Chaos Lord
4 Berzerker squads
Khorne herals
2 Bloodletter squads

We played Maelstrom of War mission 6 - Deadlock. We only got 2 turns in each because we are new and slow (and both late), but it was a pretty awesome scrap. This was also my first game with my guard. Here's what I thought:
About the game in general:
- Mysterious objectives are awesome. Really added flavor to the battlefield. Though I know Direwolf hated it when I rolled a 6 and got the Graviton thing for that one on the right flank.
- Tactical objectives were cool. We both rolled some useless ones, but we were able to get rid of them as part of the mission rules, so it wasn't a big deal.
- Neither of us had the Tactical Objective cards, so keeping track of them was a bit of a hassle. I am going to buy the cards, and I would recommend that you buy a pack, too, if you're going to use tactical objectives in your games.
- 7th is a lot more complex than 6th. I guess we'll see how it goes down the line, but I have high hopes after tonight.

About IG:
- Holy poo poo the IG shooting phase is complicated. 3 Officers and four orders per turn is a lot to keep track of. I also rolled inspired command twice, so orders played a pretty big roll in this battle. They're like little, awesome psychic powers.
- A blob squad is a force to be reckoned with. Don't have a 2+ save? Don't let them get a turn of shooting off. "First rank fire, second rank fire" is extremely powerful and if I had managed to get a prescience off for that turn of shooting, it would have been devastating.
- Primaris psykers are loving fantastic. Unlike a lot of other psykers, you're really only paying for powers, because their stat line is so lovely. They'er not going to do a whole lot as an offensive tool, but they're adroit force multipliers.
- Take an astropath. 25 points for a ML1 psyker is a steal. And telepathy has a few good powers (I can't wait to have LOS blocking invisible Leman Russes).
- Take a master of ordnance. 20 points for a lovely basilisk is way good. He wiped out most of a zerker squad single-handedly.
- PCS squads with 4 plasmas and a prescience buff are very powerful.
- gently caress yes take demolitions on your vets solely because you get a demolition charge, and demo charges loving rule.
- Putting down 120 guardsmen and throwing out hundreds of shots per turn is a hell of a lot of fun.

I eagerly anticipate my next game of 7th, and I really want to get a full game in with Direwolf. He's a great dude.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

adamantium|wang posted:

Has anyone found anything regarding multiple levels at all? I've looked multiple times and as written, it seems that all floors would be hit.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Hollismason posted:

If you had like 1 a turn or 2 a turn it'd be fine, trying them out with Necrons I've lost every game, I can't keep up to slow. Played a game where I lost by 12, just nothing you can do.

Necrons have no excuse to not be nabbing every objective in sight, given they're pretty much the most mobile army thanks to nearly every unit being able to take a French breakfast.
Turn 5 cross-table disembarks make them stupidly good at taking objectives and if you're running Battle-Forged, enemy Devastator squads can't do poo poo to stop you from securing objective 2 in their deployment zone.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I think what he's saying is that Eldar / Tau can turbo boost over an objective on turn 1 and rack up a few victory points during their turn. French breakfast doesn't show up until turn 5 and with objective cards that means you're already down by more than 10.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
The rest of the game I played against a friend of mine doesnt matter. His GK landraider crusader just rolled a 6 on the perils table after throwing all his dice to cast sanctuary (and it passed) thankfully that was his only unit left, a LR with a 2++ and fleshbane/armorbane, this is both dumb and hilarious.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 29, 2014

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Hencoe posted:

The rest of the game I played against a friend of mine doesnt matter. His GK landraider just rolled a 6 on the perils table after throwing all his dice to cast sanctuary (and it passed) thankfully that was his only unit left, a LR with a 2++ and fleshbane/armorbane, this is both dumb and hilarious.

Oh man, if that was a Redeemer :black101:

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

As someone who hasn't been exposed much to the new edition yet, what does everyone not like about it? We've seen about 5 new converts to warmachine at the club and I'm wondering why.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Hipster Occultist posted:

As someone who hasn't been exposed much to the new edition yet, what does everyone not like about it? We've seen about 5 new converts to warmachine at the club and I'm wondering why.

Chiefly the fact that it's a cash grab, I think. If the small number of updates from 6 to 7 had been provided as a free or very cheap upgrade, that would be massively better-- there ARE some dumb things about the new edition rules themselves but there are also some improvements, so I think it's a wash in that department.

That, plus the fact that GW has pissed in the well for long enough and at a high enough intensity that the onus is on them to give their customers a serious olive branch, so any kick in the teeth is that much more of a kick in the teeth. It can't really be overstated how much anything GW does will be (not unreasonably) viewed through a very toxic lens by anybody but the fanboys.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Besides low value for dollar it might have something to do with GW continuing to abandoning internal balance (at least, it feels that way). 40k has turned into a largely casual affair where you must have a conversation about which rules to cherry pick before playing a game. On some level that's cool, but it's not cool at a $100 dollar level.

Like some goon said before, 40k has always been checkers. Now it's expensive drunk checkers.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Plus there are always people who quit, or say they are going to quit, when a new edition is released.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Hencoe posted:

The rest of the game I played against a friend of mine doesnt matter. His GK landraider crusader just rolled a 6 on the perils table after throwing all his dice to cast sanctuary (and it passed) thankfully that was his only unit left, a LR with a 2++ and fleshbane/armorbane, this is both dumb and hilarious.

Someone please post a battle rep with an Unbound list featuring almost exclusively GK Land Raiders.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Watched a few games tonight at the game shop. Highlights include:

Primaries psyker perils, rolls 6, passes leadership and goes goku, then gets Yarick'd with no save roll allowed.

500 points of Eldar demonology vs. 500 points of Chaos Daemons demonology. End of turn 4, 5.5 hours later. Multiple bloodthirsters are locked in combat while heralds continue to call in more pink horrors and bloodletters. Both players (some of the foundation players from the group) left mad about 7th and how stupid the escalation got. Game went 5 turns, over 2000 points of models were on the table, another 1k were dead.

I started a new army project. Quietly modeling in the corner while 2 other guys who formerly played tought each other warmahordes.

Awkward night.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
Interrupting 7th chat to bring you more shite I've painted. In spite of Phyresis's many protests, I made something that isn't a Librarian.

It looks more ridiculous than I imagined it would. Still, that's 40K for you!

Back to 7th chat, they changed what powers a GK vehicle knows? What the gently caress? No more Fortitude?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

All of that looks very nice but the cream on the helmet deserves a special mention for how you hit it out of the park :)

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Sykic posted:

Interrupting 7th chat to bring you more shite I've painted. In spite of Phyresis's many protests, I made something that isn't a Librarian.

ME WANT HONEYCOMB THUNDERHAMMER! He looks more like a Sergeant than a Smashter Master but it's a beautiful model. I :h: purple, and regarding your belief that it looks ridiculous it's actually quite tame and reasonable for a 40k model.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Lord Of Texas posted:

Wave Serpents got a little easier to kill now that they no longer always have a save, but it's pretty trivial to find some cover most of the time (especially if you spent a couple points for ignoring Dangerous Terrain.) However, entirely overriding that is the fact that the Serpent now gets Objective Secured, meaning they can contest/steal objectives from most units in the game. This is absolutely huge- having to disembark those minimal Dire Avenger/Guardian squads could be quite fatal to your ability to score objectives, but now that the Serpent itself can do all the work they are much, much better than before.

adamantium|wang posted:

"Levels," as they were defined in earlier editions of the game, are gone- blasts and templates hit all models underneath the marker unless you and your opponent decide to come up with some sort of special rules for handling things. The old "three inches for a level" thing is even gone, although vertical distance to climb through terrain pieces is still part of the rules, it's just not a fixed number for all terrain pieces now, nor a special feature of ruins and only ruins.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

JerryLee posted:

All of that looks very nice but the cream on the helmet deserves a special mention for how you hit it out of the park :)

It's just a screaming skull basecoat with seraphim sepia shading and white scar highlight. I cheated and used an airbrush :ssh:.

Post 9-11 User posted:

ME WANT HONEYCOMB THUNDERHAMMER! He looks more like a Sergeant than a Smashter Master but it's a beautiful model. I :h: purple, and regarding your belief that it looks ridiculous it's actually quite tame and reasonable for a 40k model.

I actually know very little about how a Chapter is designed, never been much of a Space Marine player. The idea was to just give anyone special (sergeants, veterans, the chapter master, etc) a bone coloured helmet because I'm lazy it sets them apart from the rank and file marines. I actually spent a while looking up Chapter Masters to figure out if they ever wear a different coloured helmet as a sign of their rank but the only guy I found who wears one is Kantor, and Crimson Fists have the whole "two coloured fists" thing instead. Still, that's half the point when designing your own chapter, just paint them however you want them to look, fluff be damned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sykic posted:

I actually know very little about how a Chapter is designed, never been much of a Space Marine player. The idea was to just give anyone special (sergeants, veterans, the chapter master, etc) a bone coloured helmet because I'm lazy it sets them apart from the rank and file marines. I actually spent a while looking up Chapter Masters to figure out if they ever wear a different coloured helmet as a sign of their rank but the only guy I found who wears one is Kantor, and Crimson Fists have the whole "two coloured fists" thing instead. Still, that's half the point when designing your own chapter, just paint them however you want them to look, fluff be damned.

Well, for a chapter master, just add useless bling until you think you have enough. Then add more.

• Locked thread