Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Avulsion posted:

There was an issue of Amazing X-men where she's in a fight and suddenly turns into a giant mecha, and it turns out she got a power boost because her dad or someone just died in a car crash at that very instant. This leads to an issue of X-TREME X-MEN! (better than it sounds) where an evil alternate dimensional xavier was using a lobotomized Armor to try and kill the protagonists, and to give her a quick power boost he had his henchmen round up her entire family and murder them.

More dead ancestors = more mecha armor power.

I guess being powered by dead parents is what makes Batman such an unstoppable force, so...

For content, have some Earth 2 issue 20:

Fuego Fish fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

Practical Demon posted:

American writers (edit: Joss Whedon and everyone after him) get that ancestor veneration is really more of a Confucianism thing, right? As in China, not Japan. This is probably a good place for that Avengers in China cover with a bunch of anime cliches.

It's way oversold, but not taking care of the family shrine will still make people think you're an ungrateful rear end in a top hat. It's pretty much just a thing people do for major holidays (Obon in August mostly, which is actually a Buddhist ancestor veneration festival rather than Confucian) and not an every day preoccupation like it's made out to be.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Ghostlight posted:

To be fair, he's no Night Thrasher.

He's not even Cardiac.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Avulsion posted:

There was an issue of Amazing X-men where she's in a fight and suddenly turns into a giant mecha, and it turns out she got a power boost because her dad or someone just died in a car crash at that very instant. This leads to an issue of X-TREME X-MEN! (better than it sounds) where an evil alternate dimensional xavier was using a lobotomized Armor to try and kill the protagonists, and to give her a quick power boost he had his henchmen round up her entire family and murder them.

More dead ancestors = more mecha armor power.

Wouldn't the logical move actually be to just keep cloning and killing her dad over and over

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What happens if she kills one of her ancestors?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lobok posted:

What happens if she kills one of her ancestors?

What happens if she goes back in time and becomes her own ancestor and then commits suicide?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Comics are terrible about generalizing non American characters. Everything about Black Panther is racist as hell.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

What happens if she goes back in time and becomes her own ancestor and then commits suicide?

I feel like we're stumbling towards a big Marvel summer event villain here.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

Comics are terrible about generalizing non American characters. Everything about Black Panther is racist as hell.

You should read the Christopher Priest run.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

I'd like to hear your logic on this one, because Black Panther always struck me as amazingly progressive outside of his name.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lobok posted:

I feel like we're stumbling towards a big Marvel summer event villain here.

What if Armor is actually Scott Summer's sister. She can now use the Sunmers family line to power up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I'd like to hear your logic on this one, because Black Panther always struck me as amazingly progressive outside of his name.

It seems that way because Wakanda isn't portrayed as a post colonial shithole but why is everything in this advanced society tinged with elements of what white people think African tribes are like. It'd be like if Forge or Warpath were constantly going on spirit quests and fighting with spirits from their cultural pantheon!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

The team's stopping over in Japan on their way back to America and when Wolverine knows the language they're all like, "I didn't know you could speak Japanese!" and he's all, "There's a lot of things you don't know about me." because I'm fairly sure this was back before Wolverine even had a first name.

IIRC, that storyline was before the X-Men realized the claws weren't part of his costume.

Remember when Wolverine was mysterious and no one knew much about him or where he came from? :allears:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Remember when he was supposed to be a literal evolved wolverine.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

It seems that way because Wakanda isn't portrayed as a post colonial shithole but why is everything in this advanced society tinged with elements of what white people think African tribes are like. It'd be like if Forge or Warpath were constantly going on spirit quests and fighting with spirits from their cultural pantheon!

I don't know why you think an advanced society is by necessity secular or divorced of its cultural origins, especially if they've never been colonized and have an isolationist policy. You could argue that the fact that their specific religion is made up is kind of racist, but that's about it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Random Stranger posted:

IIRC, that storyline was before the X-Men realized the claws weren't part of his costume.

Remember when Wolverine was mysterious and no one knew much about him or where he came from? :allears:

It is revealed that they are not part of his costume in Uncanny 98 and the Japan poo poo happened in 118ish.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know why you think an advanced society is by necessity secular or divorced of its cultural origins, especially if they've never been colonized and have an isolationist policy. You could argue that the fact that their specific religion is made up is kind of racist, but that's about it.

Uhm their army is dudes carrying around skin shields and spears man.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Somehow she needs to get Madrox into her family tree, so that she can create and kill as many ancestors as needed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

Is that from the Reginald Hudlin run?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Is that from the Reginald Hudlin run?

It's not any particular run, but we probably shouldn't do this here since this is the funny panels thread and not the comic book nerds try to define racism thread.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

zoux posted:

Yeah but they tend to be ludicrous Kirby powered Shields that stop all incoming projectiles, and crazy spears that can pierce through all armour.

Also giant walking Panther mechs.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Wakanda always struck me as a slightly less offensive version of that old thing about the "highly advanced black race" of Krypton.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

The Question IRL posted:

Yeah but they tend to be ludicrous Kirby powered Shields that stop all incoming projectiles, and crazy spears that can pierce through all armour.

Also giant walking Panther mechs.

Wakanda is a nation in Civilization, then?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What if Armor is actually Scott Summer's sister. She can now use the Sunmers family line to power up.

What if Armor then got adopted by Jean Grey?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

AnonSpore posted:

Wakanda always struck me as a slightly less offensive version of that old thing about the "highly advanced black race" of Krypton.

If anything, Panther isn't so much offensive as it is just lazy. His writers just randomly turn to pages of Chinua Achebe books for ideas.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

zoux posted:

Remember when he was supposed to be a literal evolved wolverine.

Remember when he was supposed to be the first human being.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

John Dyne posted:

Wakanda is a nation in Civilization, then?

Exactly. Maybe with a little Age of Empires thrown in for good measure.

A single Wakandan soldier could probably destroy a castle on his own by repeatedly hitting it one corner with his spear.

In other news, I was looking through Comixology to see what new issues were out. And I got looking at Radioactive Man #679 (note, this was a six issue mini produced by Bongo in the early 90s. This was really like issue 3 or 4.) This is the issue that acts as a parody of 80's style event comics, particularly Watchman.

Re-reading the preview pages, the manner in which it apes 80's comics style of having the characters dialogue unknowingly mirror what's happening in the artwork of a different event is hilarious to see. I recommend people at least look at the free preview to see what it's like.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Edit: Beaten on Black Panther

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 29, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Remember when we posted funny panels?

D&D #3 I believe.

The unexpected way to defeat an orc in battle. Kinda half :black101: and half :gay:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I do not.

FF #166

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Rockslide is clearly the best character ever.
X-Men Legacy #264.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ghostlight posted:

I do not.

FF #166

Haha, is the Human Torch the only male member of the FF not to be a raging rear end in a top hat to women?

Hmm, actually seeing how he is even in the modern comics Silver Age Torch was probably one step removed from being a sex offender.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DarkCrawler posted:

Haha, is the Human Torch the only male member of the FF not to be a raging rear end in a top hat to women?

Hmm, actually seeing how he is even in the modern comics Silver Age Torch was probably one step removed from being a sex offender.

I really don't blame Sue for wanting to leave every chance she gets.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MikeJF posted:

I really don't blame Sue for wanting to leave every chance she gets.

And run straight into the arms of a (mer)man that believes 50 no's and 1 yes still mean yes.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Well, she did kind of get a poo poo deal. She's married to a guy who can literally enhance any part of his body, but he's the quintessential 'NOT NOW, WOMAN! THERE'S *SCIENCE* TO BE DONE' type.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Has there ever been a 'Marvel: Superheroes get some loving therapy' miniseries?

Although given pop-culture's version of therapy and psychology it'd probably do more harm than good.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Let's not have a page with both a sexism and racism derail.

Dr. Nemesis had some pretty hilarious lines in the X-Club miniseries, mainly due to having an empathic starfish stuck on his head.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

MikeJF posted:

Has there ever been a 'Marvel: Superheroes get some loving therapy' miniseries?

Although given pop-culture's version of therapy and psychology it'd probably do more harm than good.

Psycho-Man tried to give Deadpool some 'therapy.' It didn't go well: http://marvel.wikia.com/Wade_Wilson_%28Earth-12101%29

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Psycho-Man tried to give Deadpool some 'therapy.' It didn't go well: http://marvel.wikia.com/Wade_Wilson_%28Earth-12101%29

I know I had a comic once where Dr. Bong was Deadpool's therepist.

He diagnosed "Making long speeches while leaping" as a superpower.

(I think this was around the time that Deadpool was related to Thor or something. Or it might have been that time when he had Tom Cruise's face...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Remember when we posted funny panels?

D&D #3 I believe.

The unexpected way to defeat an orc in battle. Kinda half :black101: and half :gay:

Reminds me of this.

(yes, I found it on Tumblr...)

• Locked thread